Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

DOOM 3!

Play Time: Penguin Blood Ninja Fiasco. Thanks Bradley Neumeister.
Link of the Day: Firefox - Switch. Thanks Ant.
Stories of the Day: Meat hook dangling craze mystifies police. Thanks David Poland.
Science!: Voronezh Scientists Turn Blood into Coffee, Milk, Chocolate.
Flicking Mosquitoes May Prevent Infection.
Curing Casanova (registration required).
Images of the Day: Doom 3 Screenshots. Thanks Laten_C.
Media of the Day: Dance, Voldo, Dance.
Thanks Mike Martinez

View
127 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

127. Re: No subject Jul 25, 2004, 21:14 JoeCool

Less than 9 days left to doom 3

-----------------------------------------------
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2833000 - My 3DMark03 Score
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm04=2488339 - My PCMark04 Score
http://users.ign.com/collection/PilotCman - My Games

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

126. Re: No subject Jul 20, 2004, 09:21 Zathrus

Well, you could always get a satellite connection.. My uncle had that because DSL and cable weren't available where he lived either. Only problems are that it is expensive and heavy clouds can disrupt the signal.

You have to have really heavy clouds before it's an issue, at least if your dish is aligned properly.

The big problem with satellite internet is the latency -- forget playing games over it, your minimum ping is >1000 ms once you consider round trip time and processing delays.

125. Future Ootb.. Jul 20, 2004, 08:59 Prez

(Future) Out of the Blue:
Duke Nukem Forever!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

124. No subject Jul 20, 2004, 04:59 Dalumberjack

Currently running:
p4 3.0 gig OC'd to 3.7
Gainward 5950 ultra 256mb
1 gig of ram (dual channel)

So far I am able to run games like far cry and many others on full detail with little to no significant drop in frame rates. Doom 3 will be the major test though. I would recommend anyone in the market for a video card to look at Gainward. A very good company in my eyes and makes good cards.

Talking about the mountains..... I used to live in the Santa Cruz mountains for 14 years and all I had was a 288 modem. But back them, games didn’t really need connections like they do now. Would have given and arm and leg for satellite connection though.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 04:59.

I never wanted to do this job in the first place! I... I wanted to be... A LUMBERJACK! Leaping from tree to tree! As they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia! With my best girl by my side! The Larch! The Pine! The Giant Redwood tree! The Seq

123. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2004, 23:31 John

Methinks I shall be joining you soon, nin. I will be moving in just over a month to the local mountains and, although still a small possibility, it does not look like the area will end up having cable or DSL.

Well, you could always get a satellite connection.. My uncle had that because DSL and cable weren't available where he lived either. Only problems are that it is expensive and heavy clouds can disrupt the signal.
--------------------------------------

How much are you guys execting to pay for it? I just checked on ebworld.com and it's $54+shipping.

I believe that GoGamer.com had it on pre-order for under $50, but the site has been down for a week or so now and can't check it. Hmm, maybe that was for HL2...

As for video cards, I currently only have a Ti4200, but 1Gb of CAS2 DDR, XP 2800+, and an Audigy 2. I suppose my next upgrade should be the video card. heh I've been waiting for D3 and HL2 (and for prices to go down) so I suppose I'll buy soon. I was looking at the 5700's a while back, but havn't thought much about anything recently. I'll have to see how much I'm able to spend and then go from there.

Happy to hear about Firefly and closing once again as Ray,
John

Edit: Flicking Mosquitoes May Prevent Infection.

Flicking Mosquitoes also rarely kills them, causing them to come right back and try again. I'll take the risk and slap 'em. I hate those things because they always come after me even with repelants.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 00:24.

This space is available for rent

122. Re: Related follow up to yesterday's OotB Jul 19, 2004, 23:13 Halsy

LOL! That was hilarious, Bronc.

"Sit, Ubu, sit. Good dog." "Woof!"
- Gary David Goldberg

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

121. ... Jul 19, 2004, 23:05 trgThrash

I am all ready for Doom3...the only part of my system lagging behing is the videocard (9500 Pro)...but that will be good for another year, might upgrade at that time.

120. Re: Related follow up to yesterday's OotB Jul 19, 2004, 21:46 tron

I apologize if this has been linked to before and I missed it.

i've never seen it before... awesome, bronco! thanks!

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

119. Re: doom 3 sys req's Jul 19, 2004, 21:33 Jensen

On CPU upgrade vs. video card:
Run Doom 3 at the worst image quality and resolution possible. If the framerate is too low for you, you need to get a new CPU. 1.9 to 2.2 is only about a 17% increase in speed.

118. Related follow up to yesterday's OotB Jul 19, 2004, 21:31 Bronco

http://www.blogjam.com/neil_armstrong/

NSFW - salty language.

I apologize if this has been linked to before and I missed it.

Pretty funny if you ask me.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

-TPFKAS2S

117. Re: Doom & Voles Jul 19, 2004, 20:58 Halsy

He's a typical religious freak moralizing that monogamy is right and polygamy is wrong. It's convenient how he fails to mention that overwhelmingly in nature that the vast majority of animals are polygamous. Monogamy is the abberation in nature. I really hate religious kooks.

"Sit, Ubu, sit. Good dog." "Woof!"
- Gary David Goldberg

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

116. Re: Doom & Voles Jul 19, 2004, 20:38 unaloony

Well before I go perusing ambiguities at http://www.doom3.com/ for a sign of a coop campaign feature, I thought I'd ask again here.

The vole article is a pretty amusing/confusing mix of religion and science. I wonder if the changed behavior wasn't the result of chemical modification of the forebrain but rather chemical destruction of the forebrain.

----
Call 1888-4-A-QUEEF (427-8333) for more info. [And pleese post what is says for people without phones.]

115. Re: WOO! Jul 19, 2004, 20:07 Krovven

Speaking of films...

Bryan Singer is now officially the director of the next Superman movie. He'll be the 3rd director...hopefully this time Warners won't fuck it up.

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Movies&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270338&obj_id=42088

114. Re: doom 3 sys req's Jul 19, 2004, 20:05 TheNarcis

I've purchased both generic no-name supposed "junk" PC/2700(1gb) under $100 and I've bought top-of-the-line Corsair (1gb) PC/3200 ($250). I'll be damned if I notice a lick of difference in any game I've played with them. The ONLY and I repeat, ONLY, difference I noticed was in SiSoft Sandra™ RAM benchmarking. My personal opinion is if you can buy a "value" brand from a reputable dealer (ie; Kingston) you'll do fine. I'm not sure what this outrageously priced RAM is good for but it's not gaming.

I agree. But that "value ram" he was looking at was $89. When he can get a reputable company like Kingmax for cheaper ($82). And the "expensive" ram is used for aggressive timings for overclocking. Thats all. I dont notice a difference either.

Its mostly for the hobby-esque!

113. Re: WOO! Jul 19, 2004, 20:02 Trev

Firefly's feature length film is coming out in April of 2005. The title of the film is Serenity. It looks like it will blend parts of the first season and the pilot. The entire original cast is back!

Better news: if the film does well Universal plans to make a Firefly trilogy. Bad news: no series revival.

Trevor

112. Re: doom 3 sys req's Jul 19, 2004, 20:02 Hump

any comments on this $89 per stick RAM?

I've purchased both generic no-name supposed "junk" PC/2700(1gb) under $100 and I've bought top-of-the-line Corsair (1gb) PC/3200 ($250). I'll be damned if I notice a lick of difference in any game I've played with them. The ONLY and I repeat, ONLY, difference I noticed was in SiSoft Sandra™ RAM benchmarking. My personal opinion is if you can buy a "value" brand from a reputable dealer (ie; Kingston) you'll do fine. I'm not sure what this outrageously priced RAM is good for but it's not gaming.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

111. DOOM 3! Jul 19, 2004, 19:48 Furious

DOOM 3!

I'll be even happier when I see:

Ships Ahoy - Doom 3!!!

110. Re: doom 3 sys req's Jul 19, 2004, 19:45 Krovven

For under $200 you could switch to AMD and get a new Motherboard and a XP2600+ CPU and next month get the RAM to add to the system.

109. Re: WOO! Jul 19, 2004, 19:44 Ray Marden

Firefly? If you are talking about the television show, a motion picture is in progress and currently filming.

Having received the infamour PC Gamer today,
Ray

-----
DOOM 3!!!11
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=ANF&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

108. doom3 Jul 19, 2004, 19:40 Pete

i hear that pci-express doesnt actually do anything at this moment, preformance wise atleast.

Im now looking for reasons to keep my SWG account active

Doin' it Big

127 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo