Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 3 - Site Seeing, Networking Q&A

Following the game's gold announcement, the DOOM 3 Website is now online (thanks Tiscali Games), quite the intrusive full-screen Flash affair replacing the placeholder previously occupying that space. The site offers news, content, and links for the upcoming shooter. There is also an article with first-impressions from the game on TIME.com. Finally, PC DOOM 3 multiplayer networking info on GameSpy features id programmer Robert Duffy discussing the game's multiplayer capabilities. In addition to confirming that the architecture will be client/server (story) and that multiplayer will be capable of scaling beyond four players (story), he also says the Win32 dedicated sever for the game will be available in the box, the Linux dedicated server "should" (as opposed to "will") be available online by the time the game is on shelves, and also describes the reason for drifting away from the controversial plan to only provide peer-to-peer multiplayer gaming:

The primary reason is that, due to a variety of things, it was next to impossible to keep all the clients in perfect synchronization. That's a short answer to a difficult problem, but that's the bottom line of why we went with a new client-server architecture.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

65. It's TOOL... REMIXED! Jul 23, 2004, 00:24 Count Chocula

Ok, I'll see if I can put this to rest:

1. Chris Vrenna's band "Tweaker" sounds absolutely nothing like Tool. I'd describe his stuff as atmospheric, industrial pop/rock... not one track has ever sounded like a Tool song. You can download a few tracks at Tweaker.net and see for yourself.

2. I'm a big Tool fan. The Doom 3 theme is DEFNINITELY Tool, remixed/reworked by Vrenna (who has remixed tracks by A Perfect Circle in the past). It's a reworked version of the songs Lateralus and Third Eye. There are actually very short and somewhat distorted VOCAL samples (definitely MJK from Tool) which begin at 1:08 in the Doom3 theme. In fact, between 1:28 and 1:34 you can hear MJK's signature whiney growl (somewhat chopped up). A dead giveaway for any Tool fan. That's my opinion... believe it or don't. But I will eat my own head if that isn't Tool.
3. A Perfect Circle and Tool are not the same band, by the way. Musically (not vocally) they sound nothing alike... it's the vocals that are similar due to Maynard's presence in the band. No other members of Tool have ever played with APC, and vice versa.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. Re: Tool comparisons & Reznor Jul 18, 2004, 01:23 tron

I agree nin. Someone is talking out of their ass...

the greater wrong of the right --
http://www.skinnypuppy.com/

wow... imagine skinny puppy doing the music for Doom3... omg, that would be just perfect...

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

63. Re: Tool comparisons & Reznor Jul 17, 2004, 20:04 Cat

If some1 is calling T. Reznor a has been, and that his last album sucked than you need to pull your head out of your 5th point of contact. He is THE MF man when it comes to electronic producing.

62. Re: Tool comparisons & Reznor Jul 17, 2004, 18:14 sc4r4b

I agree nin. Someone is talking out of their ass...

the greater wrong of the right --
http://www.skinnypuppy.com/

61. Re: Tool comparisons & Reznor Jul 17, 2004, 17:50 nin

Trent Reznor was "let go". Inotherwords, he had a fucking attitude and was going to ruin the music because he had a bug up his asshole that said it should be like his last sucky-ass CD, instead of his way, better, cooler, older stuff.

Wow, how long did it take you to make that up? Anything to back it up at all?

Didn't think so.

There is the theory of the moebius, a twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop time becomes a loop time becomes a loop http://www.loopz.co.uk/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

60. DOOM 3 IS EVIL Jul 17, 2004, 16:17 Hermy

www.bandoom.tk <= more info

please dont let this game be released.

59. Re: Chris Vrenna Jul 17, 2004, 15:42 Krovven

Why would tool make a song for a game that is "close" to one they already have?

That's kind of the point. If its not Tool, then its copywrite infringment. If it is Tool its quite possible id wanted a more raw sound. That clip isnt horrible, it just sounds like a live recording with a different guitar.

58. Re: Chris Vrenna Jul 17, 2004, 13:14 MindTrigger

Reznors last album didn't suck ass, you just didn't like it, you trouser-scout.

You sure can't deny the similarities between those two audio clips, but I think Lateralus is a little more complex. Why would tool make a song for a game that is "close" to one they already have?

I've been to the tweaker site in the past and listened to some of Vrenna's stuff. They guy is definately different. I love industrial, so it was col to chek out. I think his music has sort of a feminine touch to it. Almost like a NIN/Depeche Mode fusion thing hheh.
I remember going to his site about a year ago hoping his stuff would be harder, and it wasn't. I have no doubt he could do a decent job laying down the sound scape for this game.

That remind me. When is the new Filter album coming out?

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

57. Re: Chris Vrenna Jul 17, 2004, 12:04 aavenr

Back when I was over at E3, I remember quite clearly Chris Vrenna was there doing some autograph signing and promo session. I can't remember what game was it for, but it was probably for Doom 3.

56. Re: HL's Goodness ?? Jul 17, 2004, 11:58 Scottish Martial Arts

New video, I could only get it by putting the url in flashget. It's pretty amazing stuff.

Wow! That's some pretty awesome stuff. August 3rd here we come!

55. Re: THe answer to the mysterious theme s Jul 17, 2004, 11:54 Scottish Martial Arts

'm not a big music guy, but I think I heard Vrenna is a current/former NIN guy?

Yeah former NIN, now he's got his own band: Tweaker. He did the sound and music to Alice, so he ought to work out okay. Still not Trent though

54. Chris Vrenna Jul 17, 2004, 11:40 Koblizek

I was under the impression that Chris Vrenna (of Nine Inch Nails fame, of course saying that on this board is probably pretty god damn redundant) was doing the music for DooM 3? That sure does sound like Tool though (referring to the intro). Maybe Tool was contracted to do the intro and Chris Vrenna did the rest. Or maybe I'm thinking of another game Chris Vrenna is working on? Hmm.

53. THe answer to the mysterious theme song Jul 17, 2004, 11:37 Mono

Christian Antkow, who's credited as the sound designer at id software, but also is a level guy, posted this on Shacknews comments a couple of days ago, under his Shack username Xian:

"Chris Vrenna and co. were responsible for creating the theme music for DOOM 3, and made contributions to the soundscape of the game.
-Xian"

I'm not a big music guy, but I think I heard Vrenna is a current/former NIN guy?

Here's the link:
http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=8162045

Flames > /dev/null

52. A discrepancy Jul 17, 2004, 11:34 gerauchertes

Look at the galleries on the new official site. The variance in quality between the PC and Xbox versions is incredible.

51. Re: tool Jul 17, 2004, 10:29 Corn Wizard

from ign:

September 22, 2003 - Sources who know what they're talking about tell us that the progressive metal band Tool is doing an original song for Doom 3. We'd love to bring you more details on this but the fear that some sort of demonic beast will spurt forth from our stereos, turn off all the lights and start eating away at our tummies prompts us to avoid talking about this any further. We'll bring you more information once we get rid of our stereo.

-- Steve Butts
here's the link: http://pc.ign.com/articles/451/451076p1.html

50. Re: HL's Goodness ?? Jul 17, 2004, 10:28 infinite_loop

ftp://ftp.planet-multiplayer.de/sites/doom3maps.de/video/doom3g_4.avi

New video, I could only get it by putting the url in flashget. It's pretty amazing stuff.

49. Re: HL's Goodness ?? Jul 17, 2004, 09:32 Beamer

4 player could rock.

It becomes less random twitch and more hunting (if the sound engine is top notch).

Remember early Quakeworld, when the player count first went up? All of a sudden it became shooting fish in a barrel. Whoever spawned nearest the rocket launcher won, because random firing would net you a few kills without trying.

It sounds like they're giving us small, confined, cramped multiplayer matches, and a 4 player cap will be perfect. It also forces you to think a bit about where those footsteps are coming from, where you just saw a guy run to and how to cut him off.

No more "well, I lost him, but there's 4 new guys where he used to be."

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

48. Re: Tool comparisons & Reznor Jul 17, 2004, 09:03 Zephalephelah

There are two distinct possibilities here.
A: This is Tool or Perfect Circle
B: This is a completely blatent ripoff and Tool will sue & win.

Trent Reznor was "let go". Inotherwords, he had a fucking attitude and was going to ruin the music because he had a bug up his asshole that said it should be like his last sucky-ass CD, instead of his way, better, cooler, older stuff.

The reason why Quake's music worked was because he was pwning then big time. Now, he's lost his edge, and probably got his abusive, creepy girlfriend from the 80's back or something. So much for NIN.

Personally, if I were ID, I would have penned StaticX for the project. Those guys are all in their prime and they make insane music that is fun to listen to and quite popular in the more energetic circles. It isn't like Punk Rock which is more of a sideshow, but it's harsh and hard and probably like Tool, it sounds the same after awhile. But Tool is Perfect Circle now so it isn't even Tool anymore.

I'd guess that someone in the group(s) had something to do with it, but that it was such a sideline to them that they simply don't give a shit about any press at all. I mean, to us it's big, but to them that's probably like Robert Dinero doing a voice over in the upcoming cartoon "A Shark's Tale". It just isn't the same as making a CD that sells a 1/4 million or goes platinum. Who the fuck cares about a video game, they might think. That's probably incorrect thinking, but hey, they're not gamers, they're musicians who at one time liked Doom or something.

I don't see this as a revelation of any sorts. They're probably on the credits somewhere for a brief moment and got paid $20,000. They don't give a fuck about it. If it works out good, then good, if not, fuck it, it was a game.

47. Re: No subject Jul 17, 2004, 08:19 webhead

Yeah the last album had maybe 2 memorable songs to me. Aenima was unbelievable though. Maynard can sound angrier than any metal singer around...

I can't picture their songs fitting in with Doom 3 though. Too bad Reznor isn't doing it. I thought his work with Quake 1 was one of the main reasons for it's superior creepy atmospheric feel. Especially the zombie groans and the windy sound. Contrast that with Quake 2, God that was horrible sound, I remember people were putting out sound mods to try and improve it, and it did improve it!

46. Re: No subject Jul 17, 2004, 08:10 theyarecomingforyou

If it ain't Tool then whoever made it when to a lot of trouble to make it sound like Tool. I know Tool, and this sounds like Tool. The bass, the riff, the drums are all VERY Tool.

Tool songs all sound too similar... as much as like I like some of their stuff, they have near zero originality in their songs anymore. Daney Carey is a legendary drummer, but all his stuff is too samey. Still, you can't beat Swamp Song.

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo