Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Joint Ops Patch

This NovaLogic Downloads Page now offers a new "general update" for Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising, NovaLogic's multiplayer shooter. Word on the 28 MB update is: "You do not need this update if you have already received the update through the update wizard." Thanks Frans.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: only prob is AA Jul 17, 2004, 12:49 Furious

If you have the link handy can you post it?

Yeah, it would have been nice of me to link that, sorry about that. Looks like PeteT linked it but below is the reference from the Blues News Page:

Game Guidance [July 12, 2004, 10:18 am EDT] - Post a Comment
The Joint Operations: Tweak Guide on TweakGuides offers insights into all manner of tweaks and troubleshooting tips on deriving optimal performance in NovaLogic's multiplayer first-person shooter.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: only prob is AA Jul 17, 2004, 11:06 PeteT

Voila: http://www.tweakguides.com/JointOps_1.html

24. Re: only prob is AA Jul 17, 2004, 00:53 ExcessDan

There was posted, the other day, a JO tweak guide, read that, it has good pointers.

Was this in the comments section (unsearchable)? If you have the link handy can you post it?

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
The mayor of your hearts <3

ExcessDan

23. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2004, 16:55 Furious

Also, set Shadows down to Normal, when the screen gets really busy all the shadows on the screen have to be calculated on top of everything else, that helped me quite a bit with FPS, and it did bump me up to close to 40 FPS on the average now, but I can still spike down to the teens when the screen gets real crazy.

22. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2004, 16:16 space captain

another thing i noticed was that there wasnt much of a slope in terms of performance... it was either very good or very bad... with little in between - so it might play like shit, but then after you change one little setting a bit - all of a sudden it plays really good... its kinda strange like that

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

21. stuff Jul 16, 2004, 16:09 space captain

dragoon - there are PLENTY of other settings to change, and you really need to, because they default to a very unplayable level of extreme detail

i was dicking around in the training missions to get my ideal settings, and I found that setting everything to "high", and water quality to "normal" and frame effects to "minimal" and NO AA (which i hate anyways - yeh im weird like that) with Trilinear texture filtering and a 1024 resolution ... these settings provided me with a consistently high framerate (40+) at all times during the "base defense" tutorial, which tends to have a good amount of shit happening at once

im on a 3.2 p4 with 1 gb ram, but my video card is a paltry RADEON 9600 pro 128mb.... so your mileage may vary

- SUBHUMANS

20. Re: only prob is AA Jul 16, 2004, 16:01 Furious

Is anyone experiencing this?

Yeah, on 150 person servers I can drop as low as 15 FPS but I average around 25. And that is with a P4 3.0 Ghz w/ 2 MB RAM and a 9800 Pro 128, so yeah, it's resource hungry. There was posted, the other day, a JO tweak guide, read that, it has good pointers.

19. Re: only prob is AA Jul 16, 2004, 15:57 SouL_DragooN

I really want to play this game. I have a Aleinwre area 51-m with a 9600 128 meg card 3.2 gig intel.. and for the life of me I cannot get a good framerate with the demo. I could not find any settings to change besides resolution is there anything else I can try. every other game I play runs like a dream cept this one. Is anyone experiencing this?

18. Re: only prob is AA Jul 16, 2004, 14:59 Razorman

AA works fine on my 9800 pro using ingame aa settings, cat 4.7 drivers  
Come to bed Milly Sue, Daddys ready in his big ole trailer

17. only prob is AA Jul 16, 2004, 14:43 Veinman

I am behind a router and have never had any problems with this FANTASTIC game. The only problem I have is that AA doesn't work with ATi cards. I guess they forgot that Nvidia isn't the only manufacturer.

16. No subject Jul 16, 2004, 14:02 space captain

wow - I think they are too durable... in regards to collision detection (with trees and rocks and so forth) that is...

i dunno - i was in a buggy, and I did this full speed flying jump off the side of a mountain - it was SOO COOL - the physics seemed very right on, the ramp angle, the speed of descent, etc... then I exploded when I hit the ground.... it was cinematic

So everyone is east coast huh?? thats cool - me too...

as usual the nickname is also : "space captain" ... but I havent been able to play any games with more than 32 people until now - so i didnt get to server hop very much

- SUBHUMANS

15. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2004, 13:30 Hump

Does this fix any of the vehicle physics in the game?

whats wrong with the vehicle "physics"? Theres no advanced physics in the game. I'd like to see it but it'd certainly push most PC's over the edge as the game is brutal in its requirements already. If your talking about the funky collision detection when going through wooded areas I'm guessing Nova did it purposely to reduce frustration. The only thing I'd like to see is for them to make vehicles a bit more durable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

14. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2004, 13:23 Hump

East Coast

Nick is "Red-Helmut"

What Would Fred Do?

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

13. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2004, 12:57 4D-Boxing

I think that was one of their features, then again I'm on my way to pick up the game. I figure this where all the DC players migrated to. I can see how the physics or lack of physics could be a problem for someone who been into team based vehucular wafare for a long time. I saw a review on TV where they showed a guy landing a chopper upside down on top of a tank lol! I just switched from deathmatch to DC an never really bother with the vehicules, in other words for a FPS newbie like myself it should be perfect!

12. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2004, 12:52 Furious

what coast of Novaworld are people here usually playing on?

East Coast Servers, name is 'Furious Nick', always try to get on 100+ person games, usual servers are Hurricane 2, Joint Ops ... and ... dammit ... at work and can't remember ... anyways, usually there are 3 150 person servers. I'll look for you sometime.

No doubt, a person CAN play JO behind a router. Not sure why people expect Developers to tell them how to use one.

11. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2004, 12:47 dogshu

"Go to your routers website and they should have a step by step explanation for setting up your router for your internet type."

"Internet-type"??? That's the most meaningless thing I've ever heard.

I have type O-negative internet.

10. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2004, 12:46 Nassus

Does this fix any of the vehicle physics in the game?

9. No subject Jul 16, 2004, 12:08 space captain

want some more help???

heres some nice little quotes from that thread link:

"I have the same exact router and have no problems. I had to set it up for my connection for it to work though. On there website it tells you how to do it. Come to find out I had mine configured for cable internet and I'm use DSL and the setup is different. Now I have no connection problems."

and another:

"I use D-link 604, dont need to open any ports. Also using Zone alarm pro.......... running with no problem"

and YET another:

"Sounds like your router is configured wrong. Same thing happened to me. I would try to connect to nova and then my internet would go down. I had to reconfigure my router for my type of internet. Go to your routers website and they should have a step by step explanation for setting up your router for your internet type. Worked for me."

sooooo.... it sounds alot like YOU are still the one with the problem - not the game

- SUBHUMANS

8. sure Jul 16, 2004, 12:01 space captain

hey, no problem

what kind of router are you using?

- SUBHUMANS

7. Re: duh Jul 16, 2004, 11:56 Azraelot

Oh, yeah, just me. Check out the forum threads over on Novaworld.

https://www.novaworld.com/NWCommunities/topic.aspx?topic_ID=465107029

https://www.novaworld.com/NWCommunities/topic.aspx?topic_ID=505549725
Just me and my little problem caused 1500+ replies on router/connection issues to Novalogic. And there plenty more of that nature on the technical forum: people who have to uninstall their antivirus software before they play; people who have to delete their cache before they can connect to an online game; people who have to open up IE and manually login to Novaworld before they can play, etc.

The game works fine for some people, agreed, but again, this router works for every single other online game I've ever played, whether they're behind matchmaking proggies like battle.net or MMORPGs or what have you. It's Novaworld that's at fault if they can't make a router with updated firmware work, or force me to open up 30,000 ports on my router to get a valid connection.

Thanks for your helpful suggestion, though.

http://www.matthewrorie.com
http://users.ign.com/collection/Azraelot
This comment was edited on Jul 16, 12:05.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo