Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry Patch News

The Far Cry Website (thanks Frans) has word on a delay to the Far Cry version 1.2 patch based on a late update from a hardware vendor. Saying the patch is "close to being released," the update concludes:

Yesterday, a new solid patch candidate left for what we hope is the last series of tests.

We are all looking forward to releasing this very ambitious Far Cry upgrade, and we know we need to give it our best to make sure we live up to your expectations.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Blablabla Jul 19, 2004, 13:58 Elvis

ok, so i found a firing squad link (http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/hl2_performance_preview_part2/default.asp) discussing HL2 doing HDR on ATI, pointing out (at that time versus the GF5900 series) it could be a competitive advantage.

so, if HL2 can do HDR on ATI, why can't far cry?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Blablabla Jul 19, 2004, 03:42 Elvis

right. where i get confused is the valve-released source engine tech video showing HDR. i've looked some, but cant confirm if this was on an ATI or NVIDIA (one presumes ATI, but...) i've got an email off to valve.

(http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/halflife2/source_hdr02.exe.html)

29. Re: dvd Jul 17, 2004, 03:01 Jay K.

Thanx for the response! I already got a Jacked 'puter so I don't need an AMD even tho' they're very cool. The new loop for me is how to figure out how to get one of these DVDs.

Thanx!

Jay K.

28. Re: dvd Jul 17, 2004, 00:18 Sepharo

He is referring to the "loose" disc tha comes with buying a AMD 64. I got mine also and when I looked at the cd is said PC-CDROM. So I popped it in my cd-drive only to hear a buzz then no auto-play and it didn't show up in "My Computer" either. I just went ape shit! "FUGGIN FREE GAME DOESN'T EVEN WORK WAY TO GET ME ALL EXCITED UBI! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS." Then I used some logic and realized no FPS today would ever come on one CD so I popped that bad boy in my dvd-rom and wallaH!

27. Re: dvd Jul 16, 2004, 19:55 Jay K.

How is this possible?? I ALWAYS look for the box to say DVD rather than 5 FIVE cd set. Did your box say 5 cd set too?

Jay K.

26. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2004, 10:13 Elvis

True, my bad. So 1.2 brings performance, bug fixes and tuning and Shader 3.0 for Nvidia folks, and also paves the way for the visual stuff coming in 1.3: HDR, ATI's 3dc normal compression. From the FiringSquad interview with the crytek CEO, it also sounds like they require FP 32 bit *blending* for HDR: http://firingsquad.com/features/crytek_far_cry/page2.asp

25. Re: Who cares? Jul 16, 2004, 09:33 jomisab

PC gamers have so much to look forward to, it's a bit ridiculous to fret. Here's a few titles just off the top of my head. If this isn't enough to keep you busy, something's wrong.

Splinter Cell 3, Doom 3, Half Life 2, CoD: United Offensive, KotoR 2, Unannounced game from Infinity Ward, Unannounced game from Bethesda, Unannounced game from Blizzard, Fallout 3, Men of Valor, Battlefield 2, Dungeon Siege 2, Unannounced game from CryTek (you know they'll do one), Pacific Assault, STALKER, Dragon Age

24. Re: Who cares? Jul 16, 2004, 07:29 4D-Boxing

With UBI i think it should be expected. They are making big bucks on the console side so the pc side is pretty much dead. I think people are still waiting for their Raven sheild SDK!! Now the rest of the world can see why people from UBI montreal are running to the new EA Montreal offices! From this point on I think it's safe to assume that UBI is an X-Box game developer.

23. Re: Is there a way? Jul 16, 2004, 06:11 Jules

Judging by this thread there are people who need anger management. Deep breath...and out. Dont you feel better?

22. Is there a way? Jul 16, 2004, 05:40 Tehol

is there way to beat the crap out of far cry developers and not get caught?

seems to me they are asking for it.how many times they said patch 1.2 coming?sheesh!reminds me of DNF but that's a game!

i give up.

21. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2004, 04:20  famished 

"Yeah I gave up on FarCry, to much contempt from the publisher/developer, no save system, no editor..."

No editor? It comes with the game Maybe you mean SDK?

20. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2004, 02:54 Lactose The Intolerant

A great modding opportunity missed on the part of Ubi is all I can say.

19. No subject Jul 16, 2004, 02:37 Acleacius

Yeah I gave up on FarCry, to much contempt from the publisher/developer, no save system, no editor and they are spending all their time adding PS 3.0 and porting to consoles to give a shit or something about PC gamers.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

18. Re: Far Cry; No Fun Jul 16, 2004, 01:35 Will

I forgot to mention in my original post that the storyline to Far Cry is also shitty. Though semi-original, it gets stupid, and at times, confusing. A game's storyline makes it more enjoyable to me, and I guess since this one sucked, that's one of the reasons I hate it so much. They might've spent a lot of time thinking the storyline through, but they wasted that time. They may as well have made it straight run-and-gun with no plot whatsoever.

-Will

17. Re: Who cares? Jul 16, 2004, 01:14 TheNarcis

I love this stuff...

When all the Doom 3 lack-there-of announcements or Q&A's rather were out there was nothing but:

"WHO CARES... WITH GAMES LIKE FAR CRY OUT DOOM LOST ITS LUSTER".

"DOOM 3 AND HL2 BETTER BE GOOD OR GAMES LIKE FAR CRY WILL REIGN SUPREME."

"AFTER PLAYING FAR CRY I CAN CARE LESS FOR DOOM 3 NOW... UBI BEAT THEM TO THE PUNCH."

Just look up past Doom 3 threads and you will see these posts. Now that Doom 3 has gone gold, Far Cry is getting the short end of the stick. My how the tides turn so easily.

I am a long time Doom fan (not to be confused with id fan, I cant stand the Quake Engine). So I am excited and have my copy on pre-order (something I never do anymore but am afraid of it selling out).

Also I am glad I held off on the Far Cry band wagon and purchassed it today. Yes, I got it today and I can say I am enjoying it for the last few weeks until Doom 3 comes out.

And as huge as the Far Cry levels are and possibility of different route scenarios it is an engine with potential as much as the Unreal Engine (I am an Unreal whore/fanboy ill admit), Source Engine (which other than the havoc physics graphically is overrated byt he community not its devs) and Doom 3 Engine.

16. Re: Far Cry; No Fun Jul 16, 2004, 01:10 DrEvil

I agree, the MP in farcry is a pile of shit. Time would have been better spent on cooperative support.

15. Far Cry; No Fun Jul 16, 2004, 00:32 Will

I got Far Cry like a day or two after it came out. I played the single player, and it was fun up until the 6 or 7 level. Then it began to get really repetitive and boring. So I didn't play it for a while. Then one day, I was bored so I tried playing multiplayer. One word can describe Far Cry's multiplayer: shit. It's worthless. Now I'm getting rid of this game because it's taking up space in my CD case. This is pathetic, to have stirred up a reputation as being a 'breakthrough in gaming', and for me to be getting rid of this. I appreciate FPSs, as they are the only computer games I play, but only the ones that look, feel, play superbly to me make the cut. This one didn't make it. I have heard of a lot of people that have the semi-same opinion as I do, so UBI, don't waste your time. Your 'breakthrough' game has worn out its welcome and has turned to a product of gaming waste.

-Will

14. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2004, 00:17 TheNarcis

I think most of the frame-raes where a little better than "slight" Teddy.

Especially since this is impressive for a 2 man crew doing a few weeks of coding... cant wait for full 100% PS3.0 games. Much better rendering technically.

13. Re: Blablabla Jul 16, 2004, 00:14 TheNarcis

Well appearantly it only renders in FP32 ... and the only card with that high of video quality is the nVidia cards ... ATi is only FP24 which it doesnt support. According to the Q&A on Firingsquad.

12. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2004, 00:02 Teddy

What coming eye candy in 1.2? They stated explicitly that there were no visual enhancements with the 3.0 PS features added in, all they did was allow for slightly better framerates on the 6800's (So long as you have the beta XP SP2 and the beta nvidia drivers).

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo