Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
4. Re: IE loses market share Jul 12, 2004, 16:17 WaltC

I thought this quote was particularly amusing:

"Since Mozilla is completely isolated from the operating system, I know that if the browser gets completely hijacked and obliterated that the program is not going to completely destroy everything I've got on disk," he said.

...when you consider that one of Netscape's original complaints voiced to Congress was that M$ had an "unfair advantage" over Netscape in that M$'s deeper knowledge of "secret" Windows source code allowed it to more tightly couple IE to Windows than it was possible for Netscape to do with its browsers, providing IE with all kinds of "advantages" Netscape was never pressed to clarify or explain in any detail...;) Now, people like this are singing praises to the fact that it's not as tightly coupled (even though the guy is completely wrong in his assumptions.) The irony is so sweet it's delicious...;)

Indeed, this strawman issue about "Windows source code" became a part of M$'s settlement with the DOJ, and is at the heart of current similar government interference within private industry in the EU's recent government edicts against M$ over Media Player--that sinful, consumer-destroying software of the devil's own design (for the purpose of raiding the company's coffers for the "benefit of the anonymous consumer", of course, who'll never see a penny from the EU's fines and will likely pay more for his software as M$ will just pass along the fine as an added cost just like any other tax. With friends like tax-hungry governments, consumers don't need enemies..;))

The facts are that "holes" in browsers are different "holes," depending on the browser concerned, but the exploitation of all such browser holes has the same goal--to get *outside* the browser and to snoop and appropriate information and programs that reside on the user's system outside of the browser. Running FireFox is no defense against that, of course, if the hacker finds a hole and exploits it.

But I use FireFox myself these days and like it a lot. It proves beyond a doubt that Netscape could have hung in there had it chosen to do so, and that with enough effort is is possible, after all, to write a better browser than M$. It's just a pity that Barksdale took his Golden Parachute, which landed him in a seat on SUN's Board of Directors and set him up for life, and just quit and sold Netscape out for AOL stock when he did. If Barksdale had been loyal to the company moreso than himself a browser like FireFox .09 could have been done years ago, and Netscape could have retained a large percentage of the near-100% browser market share the company had at one time. But you don't go anywhere when you just give up and quit, do you?

The fact is that if Netscape hadn't just quit like it did, had chosen to compete instead of running to the government, browsers like FireFox would today have a far larger share of the overall browser market than the <5% puny share this article cites as though it was 10x larger. It's sad to see people rationalize like they do, but you can always spot a rationalization by its inherent contradictions, as in this case wherein this poor sod thinks FireFox is "completely isolated" from the rest of his system software and OS. Poor deluded chap.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jul 12, 13:59 IE loses market share Jim
>> 4. Jul 12, 16:17  Re: IE loses market share WaltC
  5. Jul 12, 20:10   Re: IE loses market share Krovven
  6. Jul 12, 22:06   Re: IE loses market share Propagandhi
  7. Jul 13, 04:50   Re: IE loses market share LwoodPDowd
  8. Jul 13, 17:02  Re: IE loses market share Pedle Zelnip
  2. Jul 12, 14:07 Piracy = WMD FourPak
  3. Jul 12, 14:26  Re: Piracy = WMD Halsy

footer

.. .. ..