Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Joint Operations Patch

A new Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising - General Update is now available, a 26 MB patch that rolls together the recent flurry of updates to NovaLogic's multiplayer first-person shooter (thanks Frans). Word is: "You do not need this update if you have already received the update through the update wizard."

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2004, 01:44 ExcessDan

You can drive vehicles through trees sometimes too.

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
The mayor of your hearts <3

ExcessDan
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2004, 16:36 Nassus

Vehicle physics are whacked. U can drive a boat full speed and someone can get in from the water. Meh.

22. No subject Jul 8, 2004, 10:41 space captain

what i dont like is when people turn off the bullet tracers and the "sound feedback" thing on the radar...

when someone shoots in JO, you get a yellow beam on your radar giving you an approximate direction of the sound - which is something i cant believe other games have not done yet... its HIGHLY useful for rooting out snipers..

i have no problems with camping in this game UNLESS some jerkoff disables these features on their server - most likely because they are unskilled camp-happy bitches that can only score a kill when no-one is coming for them

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

21. Re: Bleh. Jul 8, 2004, 09:56 Furious

Since you've had a great experience with the game I assume that th earlier pathes helped and that the game is worth buying.

Yeah, so far so good. The Snipers aren't really that much of a problem, I get capped once and a while but hey, thats how it goes sometimes, just have to play smart, never run in a straight line and use trees as cover. I have heard bullets fly by me and hit the ground, I know it was a Sniper, but I just run a random zig zag pattern and make it hard for them. Also, there are vehicles with guns to help you find and kill Snipers in relative safety; Jeeps, APC's, attack Helo's, etc. There are not a lot of 'Attack Helo's' but thats good as they do a lot of damage, too many would greatly imbalance the game, especially the rocket gunships, just nasty.

All's I can say is, at the end of the night, it's hard to log off and stop playing.

Oh yeah, I played on the same team as the infamous 'fredrickson' the other day, he did a good job.

20. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2004, 01:49 sponge

About Newegg, etc, while somewhat related, I bought one of the $300 Wal-Mart computers, and I tried to install my old Ge3 into it, and the mobo dies. I call tech support, I actually got in touch with a tech directly, no horrible incomprehensible accent, and was very knowledgable, and when he confirmed the mobo is DOA, they sent a new one out right away. I think the company is Systemax or someodd.

19. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2004, 01:49 ExcessDan

I've got 768MB of SDRAM and a ti4200 128MB. :\

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:

ExcessDan

18. Re: Bleh. Jul 7, 2004, 23:52 Shataan

"well, in mil-type games, the kind of camper that pisses me off is the spawn camper"
Well, I figured that was a given so I didn`t bother mentioning it. lol Spawn camping is just another kind of spamming. What Nova could have done was put in a random spawn around the spawn areas so you never know where the spawner is going to show up next.

17. Re: No subject Jul 7, 2004, 21:35 Hump

You got the game to play on 1.7GHz? What video card did you have?

Dan, your CPU is actually quite adequete. JO really needs at LEAST 512k of DDR RAM (1gb is strongly recommended) and at minimum a 9800 non pro (if you want ATi) or 9600xt.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing - Joint Ops, UT2004, Soldner

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

16. Re: Bleh. Jul 7, 2004, 19:07 anon@24.76

well, in mil-type games, the kind of camper that pisses me off is the spawn camper.

They arn't really helping with objectives, just pissing off the other team.

15. Re: Bleh. Jul 7, 2004, 18:42 Shataan

Mil combat is about a certain amount of camping IMHO. Nova themselves call taking over a Base, Camping. A mil combat player doesn`t look down on a judicious amount of camping. Only the quakers seem to frown on it. But quakers have no problem with spamming it seems.
Take the unlimited ammo. Give unlimited ammo to a quaker, and off they go without a care in the world, spamming till the cows come home. And Chaff spamming like it is going out of style. Yet when 1 well concealed sniper shoots them even once with a well placed head shot.... Mr quaking spammer starts to cry their azzes off. And Nova is only too happy to bend over backwards to placate Mr quaker spammer. Hell, they will move the Sun and Moon for Mr. Quaker Spammer. rofl

That is why the sooner Mr. J-Ops Modder get HIS tools, the sooner we can put the fixes to Mr. Novas game. LOL

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 18:44.

14. Re: Bleh. Jul 7, 2004, 18:41 ZzeusS

I've used newegg since it came online. Been 3 or 4 years I think. Built so many systems and order so many parts I can't even reference my old orders anymore.

It would be a cold day in hell before I used anyone else.

13. Re: Bleh. Jul 7, 2004, 18:29 4D-Boxing

" I don't understand the question... what camping?"
Like I said I donot own the game, in other words this is all based on ehat people have said in here and in reviews.

"The last-but-not-least element that keeps the game from breaking through to something consistently fun is, ironically, the way vehicles are set up. In addition to having no tanks or planes, only the attack chopper lets you operate the vehicle and shoot things at the same time. Everything else is like driving an extremely death-prone bus. And the Stinger and AT4 launchers are so powerful that the passenger vehicles become killboxes if you dare stay inside for more than a minute.............Nerf the snipers and add some attack vehicles, and it could be a real barn stormer. " from one review.

Some people complained about camping so I brought it up. As to the question of hoe a vehicule could help, simple a fast moving jeep with a gun mounted on it could help someone get to a sniper while being to fast to hit. Thisis just an example.

As for your other questions. "Not sure what you are looking for in regards to fixes"

From another review: "With that said, Joint Operations is already a great game with still more potential for improvement. When it really gets going, it's an exhilarating game of modern combat, albeit one that's also weighed down with some bugs and gameplay issues. For what it's worth, the same was true of Battlefield 1942 when it shipped, though that game's growing pains seem long forgotten by now."
Most reviews i've read have a comment similar to this one.

Since you've had a great experience with the game I assume that th earlier pathes helped and that the game is worth buying.

12. Re: Bleh. Jul 7, 2004, 14:57 Furious

1) I play fine behind a router, have since day one.

Any sign of new vehicules to offset the camping?

2) I don't understand the question... what camping? You mean Sniper camping? If so, then how would a 'vehicle' fix that anyways. I haven't found the Snipers to be much of a problem even when they do camp (if they do), they can't kill everyone and they are easily found after firing a couple rounds.

I don't own the game I just want to know how much has been fix

Not sure what you are looking for in regards to fixes, I haven't run across any game bugs that have hurt my experience as of yet. They need to optimize the rendering code a bit to help the FPS situation (I get 15-50 FPS, 15 when really busy) but thats all I can think of.

11. Re: Bleh. Jul 7, 2004, 14:48 4D-Boxing

I thought the last patch fixed te router insues. At least that was what pepole where saying in here after testing the last patch. How much gameplay isues does this fix? Any sign of new vehicules to offset the camping? I don't own the game I just want to know how much has been fix, I decided to wait before buying like i did with BF... once BF was patched good I bought the game same should happen with JO if they do a good job.

10. Bleh. Jul 7, 2004, 14:17 Azraelot

Can I play through a router now? I doubt it.

http://www.matthewrorie.com
http://users.ign.com/collection/Azraelot

9. No subject Jul 7, 2004, 12:55 space captain

radeon 9600 pro... and it runs it fairly well on all the settings turned to "LOW" at 1024 resolution - but only on servers with 32 people or less... get any more than that and its "helloooo slideshow"

- SUBHUMANS

8. Re: No subject Jul 7, 2004, 12:35 ExcessDan

You got the game to play on 1.7GHz? What video card did you have?

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:

ExcessDan

7. No subject Jul 7, 2004, 12:33 space captain

it continues from the previous day where I said I would be getting a new 3.2 rig to be able to play all the new games, and more specifically ones I already own like JO

as I want to see the game running in full glory, as opposed to the stripped down 1.7 ghz glory... I suspect the game will be extremely good with a faster machine - since its already pretty damn good on my dino-rig

- SUBHUMANS

6. Re: No subject Jul 7, 2004, 12:28 Grounded

what in fuck does this have to do with a patch for JO?

5. No subject Jul 7, 2004, 12:24 space captain

i got pretty much exactly the same (same mobo), except just 1 gig of RAM...

i am so righteously pissed about all this crap - i just dont trust a tech unless i can talk to them face to face... otherwise I consider everything they say to be bullshit pandering to "customers"... at least when you talk to them in person you can say, "oh yeh?? well SHOW ME"

i guess this is payback for my 2 years as RMA tech in a refurb warehouse... i should have known i wouldnt want to deal with assholes like me

- SUBHUMANS

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo