Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Video Games & Obesity

Electronic Game Use is Associated with Childhood Obesity (thanks HomeLAN Fed) offers some results of a study. They point out "Evidence-based prevention of childhood obesity requires the identification of modifiable risk factors," going on to identify gaming (rather than, say, overeating), as one of them. Here's the deal: "In a study published in the June issue of the journal Obesity Research, researchers from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and the University Hospital Zurich present a strong association between playing electronic video games and childhood obesity in school-aged Swiss children. The researchers also found that obesity was associated with television watching, paternal smoking and mother's working outside the home."

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. What's up, fatties? Jul 2, 2004, 10:11 Smellfinger

This article must hit really close to home for a lot of you. I smell a lot of blubber in this thread. It smells like ham and bacon.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. No subject Jul 2, 2004, 08:45 DPmaster

Oh, and if videogames are so bad, why is (and has been) the US military investing in them?

google for comanche helicopter

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 08:46.

30. Re: Morons Jul 2, 2004, 07:23 L0cky

Oh, and if videogames are so bad, why is (and has been) the US military investing in them?

Does that mean that if the US military invests in something then it must be ok?

29. Re: Morons Jul 2, 2004, 01:36 Bob

In other news, ice cream is cold and ink is harder to erase than pencil

28. Re: Morons Jul 1, 2004, 23:56 kyleb

but wait, the study didn't say anything against reading, so why would that be any worse than rideing a bike?

seriously, my point is that singling out videogaming is just absurd, as it is no more a cause for obesity than any other inactive lifestyle.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 23:57.

27. Re: Morons Jul 1, 2004, 23:24 Ataneruo

ok, so i should say something like "damnit son, quit playing that videogame now and read a book or something so you don't get fat!", eh?

no, that would be stupid, because the idea that playing videogames leads to obisity is crazy talk.

No, you should say something like "damnit son, quite playing that videogame now and go ride your bike for a while so you don't get fat".

Because what is stupid is not recognizing that having an inactive lifestyle (e.g. obsessive: TV watching/book reading/playing video games) is one of the two major factors leading to obesity. The other is high caloric intake.

But hey, like I always say:

Eat right.
Exercise.
Die anyway.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 23:26.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

26. Re: Morons Jul 1, 2004, 22:14 PHJF

The people that ran this study probably go home every night to watch 4 hours of television.

Better a PC addict than a TV one; at least my fingers get exercise here. And as studies have shown I have increased response times! (thusly I am a better driver and SAVE LIVES)

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

25. Re: Morons Jul 1, 2004, 21:52 kyleb

They simply said that "the use of electronic games should be limited to prevent childhood obesity." Presumably, they mean that parents should limit their kids' game time. Why is that crazy talk?

ok, so i should say something like "damnit son, quit playing that videogame now and read a book or something so you don't get fat!", eh?

no, that would be stupid, because the idea that playing videogames leads to obisity is crazy talk.

24. No subject Jul 1, 2004, 20:40 Pete

im getting fatter, only because im getting older and drinking alot more. its not my fault, its the aging process/alcohol's fault, i swear.

Im now looking for reasons to keep my SWG account active

Doin' it Big

23. ULTIMATE DIET RULES! Jul 1, 2004, 20:10 Ray Marden

1. Eat better

2. Eat less

3. Exercise

/Keanu

Woah

/Keanu

Gaming itself will not make you obese, but the familial and psychological factors of obsessive gaming can make it very easy for one to gain weight and is an obvious dysfunction.

Of course, it is not fun to blame one's self - IT MUST BE <insert: name, person, place, or thing>'s FAULT!

Blaming...uhh...the SKY! for all my problems,
Ray

-----
Yay, look at me! I am a terrorist and I have proven that I can be a total ass. Er...wait...
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=ANF&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

22. Re: Morons Jul 1, 2004, 17:05 Gandhi

Parallax -

In Re to #10, you better leave Taco Bell out of this. That there's fightin' words

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

21. Re: You mean... Jul 1, 2004, 15:40 Bronco

All in all this is a very good thread.

This took the cake for me:

I couldn't run to my mailbox if my life depended on it...

I played the hell out of computer games when I was a kid and couldn't gain weight on a bet. 6'1" and 135#. I was a skeleton with skin.

Quitting smoking did the trick for me. Now I'm killing myself to get back to my high school graduation weight PLUS oh, 50 pounds.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

-TPFKAS2S

20. Re: Cause and effect? Jul 1, 2004, 15:18 FourPak

my favorite quote regarding gaming as an obsession...

My point is this: don't let anyone shame you into thinking that playing computer games is a waste of time. Because whatever they're doing to pass the time is no better – and it certainly isn't going to make them any less dead in the end.
-editor, Computer Gaming World

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 15:18.

19. Re: Cause and effect? Jul 1, 2004, 15:07 FourPak

As always, that study doesn't establish a clear cause and effect link
ayup, that's been the trend in the 'soft sciences' for the last 25 years, particularly in fields like Anthropology -
repeatable, testable evidence? Who cares - just spin whatever stats suppport your socio-political Agenda and people will buy it as "Science".

television watching, paternal smoking, mother's working outside the home

Well hell, depending on the Target Audience, you may as well have...
Bill O'Reilly say:
GODLESS COMMUNISM CAUSES OBESITY!!!
or
Michael Moore say:
PRAYER IN SCHOOL CAUSES OBESITY!!!

18. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2004, 13:57 Bruzilla

What bothers me more about studies like this is that someone (or a group or a foundation) funded a study to tell us that kids that watch a lot of TV and play video games have a "strong association" with obesity (which in itself is a extremely broad definition).

I work for a publicly funded institution that does cancer research and we have to beg and plead for money to run studies on things like oh say, what causes cancer or what helps prevent cancer, which it seems more times than not get rejected. Yet someone somewhere thought they'd be better served with a study that I think everyone here could agree gave results that anyone with a dose of common sense could have come to anyway.

I suppose their next leap will be a study to determine a link between drinking heavily and sex with ugly people.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 13:59.

17. Re: Morons Jul 1, 2004, 13:30 nin

Fat bottomed girls
You make the rockin' world go round

Dammit, ya beat me to it!

There is the theory of the moebius, a twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop time becomes a loop time becomes a loop http://www.loopz.co.uk/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16. Re: Morons Jul 1, 2004, 13:27 Learned Hand

The study suggests that sedentary behaviors like TV watching and video-gaming may increase the liklihood that a kid gets fat. The people who find this shocking or offensive seem to lack common sense. Riker had the most appropriate reaction: "You mean to tell me that sitting on the couch all day as opposed to being active can result in obesity?!? SOMEBODY GET ME THE PRESIDENT ON THE PHONE!"

The researchers did not argue that video games send subliminal messages to make kids eat junk food, nor did they argue that "it's always someone else's fault." They simply said that "the use of electronic games should be limited to prevent childhood obesity." Presumably, they mean that parents should limit their kids' game time. Why is that crazy talk?

You seem not to have read or understood any part of the article, but you describe the researchers as "morons" and "idiots". Pots and kettles ...

15. Re: Morons Jul 1, 2004, 13:16 Halsy

If you're sitting on your ass several hours per day playing games instead of being outside and being active, you're going to get fat(ter). There's no need of a study for something like this.

But on a lighter note...

Are you gonna take me home tonight
Ah down beside that red firelight
Are you gonna let it all hang out
Fat bottomed girls
You make the rockin' world go round

"You've been hoodwinked. You've been had. You've been took. You've been led astray, run amok. You've been bamboozled."
- Malcolm X

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

14. Re: You mean... Jul 1, 2004, 12:58 DDI

When you stop eating food for a long period, your body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism slows to a crawl. When you actually eat, your body takes what isn't eaten up by your muscles (well since you sit around all day playing games your muscles are atrophying and don't need much) and sticks the excess in your fat (it tries to store as much as it can as fat because it thinks you are starving), especially when that one meal you have a day is 1500 calorie/saturated fat/carb laden junk food bomb of heart attack death. Very general idea but thats what happens to some people but not all.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 12:59.

13. Re: You mean... Jul 1, 2004, 12:54 Rigs

Hmmm, I sit on my ass all day and I'm not fat or getting fat. Then again, I am sorely out of shape, I couldn't run to my mailbox if my life depended on it...

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo