Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Handy Firefox hints Jun 16, 2004, 10:04 ssh

Here are two that I like:

1) Install Flash - Click to Run. It means that flash files don't play unless you click on them.
2) In the address bar, type about:config and hit return

Look for:

browser.block.target_new_window

and double click on it. Change the false to true.

Personally, it really irritates me when sites open new browser windows. This prevents that from happening.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: A relevant Firefox extension... Jun 15, 2004, 21:21 complicity

Firefox could be improved with an auto-updater facility, if it were technically possible
Do you mean for Firefox itself, or something that would work with Windows Update so that you don't need IE? If the former, then 0.9 now has such a feature. I can't testify to how well it works, however, since it's brand new.

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

11. Re: A relevant Firefox extension... Jun 15, 2004, 17:52 Tango

Firefox could be improved with an auto-updater facility, if it were technically possible... like Windows Update. It's a hassle (albeit a minor one, compared to the benefits) otherwise.

10. Re: Yahoo Expands Email Jun 15, 2004, 16:55 nin

I've had a Yahoo email account since almost the beginning (a whopping 6MB storage, not the 4MB they eventually reduced it to). I appreciate the the free 100MByte's they've upgraded me to and don't mind the new look, but they're having problems today.

It is slooooow. Half the time I get timeouts and DNS errors and have to repeatedly refresh to view a page. I'm sure they'll iron it out but it's pretty much useless today...

This is why...
http://news.com.com/Blackout+hits+major+Web+sites/2100-1038_3-5234500.html?tag=nefd.top

People look so snooty, Take pills make them moody, Automatic bzooty, Zero to tutti fruitti, Sex in the halls, Niagra Falls, Local shopping malls receive Anonymous calls

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Yahoo Expands Email Jun 15, 2004, 16:40 CreamyBlood

I've had a Yahoo email account since almost the beginning (a whopping 6MB storage, not the 4MB they eventually reduced it to). I appreciate the the free 100MByte's they've upgraded me to and don't mind the new look, but they're having problems today.

It is slooooow. Half the time I get timeouts and DNS errors and have to repeatedly refresh to view a page. I'm sure they'll iron it out but it's pretty much useless today...

8. A relevant Firefox extension... Jun 15, 2004, 16:27 Toad

I picked up an extension (from extensionroom.mozdev.org) that adds BugMeNot to the right-click context menu. If you encounter a site with forced registration for content, right-click and select the BugMeNot menu item. You'll get a popup window with accounts submitted to bugmenot.com for the site you're visiting.

It seems the New York Times, at least, periodically disables logins "abused" in this way, so you'll need to log in with a freshly retrieved account when it happens.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 16:28.

7. Re: Firefox Jun 15, 2004, 15:23 Jubal Harshaw

Yep, just did the download, didnt save it just ran it no problems at all.. and not totally sure but seems a good bit faster.

6. Re: Firefox Jun 15, 2004, 14:04 fds

The new version kept my old bookmarks just fine.

5. Re: No subject Jun 15, 2004, 13:38 Nyarlathotep

[elvis]Thank you very much, baby[/elvis]  
-------
Calling Cthulhu
http://www.callingcthulhu.com

4. Re: No subject Jun 15, 2004, 13:31 Zathrus

I believe (I haven't done this yet) that you should run Add/Remove programs, remove the old version, and then install the new one. If you didn't use the Windows installer, then just remove the directory that you unzipped it to.

Your profile should be kept in tact and migrated over (new directory structure).

It is not recommended that you upgrade an existing version of Firefox.

If you're paranoid, make a backup of your profile first (on Windows it's in c:\documents and settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Phoenix).

3. Re: No subject Jun 15, 2004, 13:16 Nyarlathotep

FireFox=made my surfing easyer

How do I upgrade, just run the installer? Or delete the previous version and then run the installer?

-------
Calling Cthulhu
http://www.callingcthulhu.com

2. No subject Jun 15, 2004, 12:40 Protoz

Actually it imported all of my bookmarks, cookies, passwords, etc. when it installed which was very nice. Even though I backed up my bookmarks anyhow

1. Firefox Jun 15, 2004, 10:59 complicity

Be sure when upgrading to save your bookmarks first. Also, not all themes and extensions have been upgraded to work with 0.9, which is using a new system.

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo