Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Snowblind Unveiled

A new first-person action game called Snowblind was subtly unveiled at E3, the project is in the works at Crystal Dynamics, and slated to be published by Eidos Interactive this fall for the PC, Xbox, and PS2 (thanks HomeLAN Fed). Here's the fact sheet on the game:

snow-blind´ (snó blīnd´)
adj : Military jargon for a complete system shutdown of all internal electrical and bio-mechanical systems. Generally created by an EMP blast or similar electrical disturbance in the local vicinity.

Product Description:
Experience the dramatic intensity of the frontlines of a war through the eyes of the first of a new breed of super soldiers in this gritty and epic first-person action game.

Players live the fantasy of being an elite special operations combat soldier with access to the most high-tech weaponry, gadgets and vehicles, presented with all the realism, emotional intensity, and valor found in the popular “War Games” shooter genre.

Game Features:
• Robust online multiplayer experience with 16 players and voice over IP support – classic and new multiplayer modes are offered, including some modes uniquely designed for the PS2 and XB platforms
• Arsenal of unique weapons and secondary items including the Riot Wall™ and the “Kicker” physics gun yield a variety and depth of gameplay never before realized, especially when leveraged in multiplayer play.
• Vehicles serve as functional obstacle solving tools, for rescue attempts and as weapons in both single and multiplayer gameplay
• Use Biomods to customize, upgrade and exploit the superhuman powers of your character
• Build an emotional connection to your comrades in battle; during the missions you have the power to rescue, heal and protect them. Neglect their cries for help and view with shame their names on the War Memorial Wall at the end of the game
• Wide variety in mission pacing ranges from frenetic action of battlefield chaos to tactical infiltration style missions
• Storyline is grounded in a believable, relevant near future setting, in a war as seen through the eyes of a hero
• Pick-up & play, visceral action pulls the player through a cinematically immersive storyline
• 11 missions spanning across 16 maps including the dilapidated Opera House, the twisting jungle at the city perimeter, a Buddhist Temple converted, and sprawling urban Wasteland

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: No subject May 24, 2004, 14:57 tiesto81

It's a post rendering effect which applies saturation on the bright portions of the render; guild wars, hitman 3, and prince of persia all have this effect. Makes the worlds softer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: May 24, 2004, 11:01 Rseman

The only emotional connection I've ever had in computer games was about 40 minutes into one of the russian missions in Red Alert.... the power went out and I hadn't saved....

Since I like FPS games most, I'm all for more and more of them, as long as they're good.

Looking forward to F.E.A.R.:)

32. No subject May 24, 2004, 10:49 space captain

"Build an emotional connection to your comrades in battle;"

i dont think this happens very often... and if it does then you are most likely a very sad kind of geek

and what is the "bloom" effect?

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

31. Re: No subject May 24, 2004, 10:46 tiesto81

Saw this at E3 next to our booth. It looked pretty nice on their big screen showing off the game trailers. Looked like a pretty detailed FPS with the 'bloom' effect that some newer games are using.

30. Re: No subject May 24, 2004, 10:09 Apathy Curve

...when leveraged into...

They lost me right there. That's a favorite cliche of seagull managers. Just hearing it will instantly send my blood pressure up 10 points.

29. Great game! May 24, 2004, 10:03 Erwie

It's cool you guys allready have an opinion and all, but if you looked at some hands-on E3 previews of this game, you might have known already the game is fairly promising and even was runner-up in some E3 award categories at IGN amongst others.

28. Re: Release Date May 24, 2004, 06:59 rist3903

Im just glad its not set in World War II.

27. Release Date May 24, 2004, 05:19 Eye 4N Eye

and slated to be published by Eidos Interactive this fall for the PC, Xbox, and PS2

This is what has me wondering how good it will be.
Less than 6 months till its released for not 1, but 3 platforms. hmmmmmmm!!!!!!
Most of the "good" games that I have played usually took 2 to 4 years of development time, and I had always heard of them LOOOONG before they were out.
So either they're the fastest developers around or they the most secretive bunch of people on the planet.

snafu

Opinions are like A**holes, everybody has one and they usually stink
(all except mine of course)
This comment was edited on May 24, 05:20.

Eye 4N Eye

Opinions are like A**holes, everybody has one and they usually stink
(all except mine of course)

26. No subject May 24, 2004, 05:17 Hump

Neglect their cries for help and view with shame their names on the War Memorial Wall at the end of the game

I can live with that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing - Joint Ops, UT2004, Tribes 2.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

25. Re: No subject May 24, 2004, 04:34 Sty

bullshit (bool-sheet)

noun: something spoken or written that has little to no bearing to reality and/or the truth.

If it's an Eidos PR release, you can be certain 100% of it is bullshit.

lol Actually "Snowjob" came to mind. The PR spins are getting funnier by the day.

Oh, and obviously Eidos isn't aiming at the PC elitists who won't have anything to do with consoles...

Nope they aren't. They're aiming at everyone with a PC.

...so I don't think they'll cry over your lost money.

Yeah riiight, publishers don't care about money. If the game tanks on the market, you better bet somebody will be crying ... right to the unemployment line.

There is one good side to PC and console releases. If the game sucks ass, I'm only out $6 on a console rental.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

24. Re: No subject May 24, 2004, 03:24  famished 

"It's as hammy as a ham could possibly ham, but it was a good game."

Hammy ham lol. It was a good game and yeah I tend to agree - it seems to be second nature for people to beat down newcomers to the genre.

23. Re: No subject May 24, 2004, 02:19 Cutedge

I love all this criticism about a game none of you know anything about.

We know that, from the press release, it looks to be ripping off half the games that are coming out which actually are being original.

Yeah, it could be good. I'm just saying that it's lame that people are already ripping off the physics gun.

This comment was edited on May 24, 02:20.

22. Re: No subject May 24, 2004, 02:16 Squirmer

I love all this criticism about a game none of you know anything about. It's so rampant at this place (on the whole internet really). As soon as a new game is announced everyone pounces with the same old lines: PFFT! OLD! UNORIGINAL! RIP-OFF! LAME! CONSOLES SUCK (an old favourite)!

Think about all the criticisms that would have been leveled at Far Cry: yet another shooter, set on a deserted island, with some sort of scientific experiment that made a whole bunch of monsters. It's as hammy as a ham could possibly ham, but it was a good game.

Oh, and obviously Eidos isn't aiming at the PC elitists who won't have anything to do with consoles, so I don't think they'll cry over your lost money.

21. Re: Some more info.... May 24, 2004, 02:09 Duc

Do IGN reporters not even have the time for a quick proof read? - On another note this game seems half-baked even in the press release and the sight of the phrase 'riot wall' trademarked sends cold shivers down my spine.

20. I looked it up... May 24, 2004, 01:04 Camaro76

bullshit (bool-sheet)

noun: something spoken or written that has little to no bearing to reality and/or the truth.

If it's an Eidos PR release, you can be certain 100% of it is bullshit.

---------------------------------------------
"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?" -- Dick Cavett
mocking the TV-violence debate

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

19. Re: No subject May 23, 2004, 23:47 Muscular Beaver

bluuue eyyyyeeeees...

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

18. Re: No subject May 23, 2004, 23:33 porp

I wouldn't blame piracy at all. Hell, piracy exists in every single console to date--though some more than others.

Simply put, PC games do generate enough revenue. It is much easier to create a game that works on all systems, tweaking it on the system with the most potential sales, and porting it across the board. I mean, you make one game and make it available to all.

Few people have top of the line PCs because they do not need them. The gaming industry today surpasses the movie industry, not because of PC game sales, but because of the millions of consoles sold at affordable prices (not $2500 systems that are only good for 2-3 years). I'm just thankful developers port shit over to the PC to begin with.

But I'm most thankful for the developers who create the top of the line games, who leave consoles deal with their limitations on their own, companies like Valve and id software.

porp

17. Re: No subject May 23, 2004, 22:58 Yakumo

not sure i'd blame piracy, though the publishers will, as xbox / ps2 etc all get pirated too..
biggest prob atm is useless PC anti-piracy programs cutting heavilly into the publishers profit margins for 0 gain :p

but all this has been said by many, many times..

interesting this games got lots of PR, even won Tom's best of show for FPS, and no shots or clips anywhere....

16. No subject May 23, 2004, 22:12 XP Sana

Agree with #4.

When I read special play modes for consoles and not for PC, then I know they are making it for consoles and the PC users will get whatever half baked port they decide to make. If companies would only realize the potential of PCs, we would have more 'epic' games instead of half-assed conversions of great console games to mediocre PC games.

I guess that's what us diehard PC gamers get with all of the piracy today.

15. No Subject May 23, 2004, 20:35 Sty

lol Hasn't every FPS been 'epic' since '98-'99?

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo