Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Unreal Engine Info

The Unreal Technology Website (thanks Tiscali Games) now offers details about Unreal Engine 3, the upcoming update to Epic's gaming engine that abandons their previous convention of non-iterative updates (formerly all versions of the engine were simply the "Unreal Engine"). They offer details and screenshots of the new tech, which is described like so: "Every aspect of the Unreal Engine has been designed with ease of content creation and programming in mind, with the goal of putting as much power as possible in the hands of artists to develop assets in a visual environment with minimal programmer assistance; and to give programmers a highly modular and extensible framework for building, testing, and shipping games in a wide range of genres."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: What else is new... May 15, 2004, 23:42 Chance

The next generation engine always looks better than the last. From either company. The only time they came out in close proximity that I recall was UT / QIII. As it is Doom III will be out before any Unreal 3 engine game. They trump eachother with each release.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: What else is new... May 15, 2004, 21:02 TheNarcis

Ummm no...

What I was saying is nothing is new about it looking better, because all of Epic's stuf that came out after id's has looked better and had more tech advancement.

UT2K4 is based of Unreal 2.0 Engine and did NOT come out AFTER Doom 3 now did it?

So there is no basis for an argument.

All I said was this is nothing new for it to look better when it has always been this way.

This comment was edited on May 15, 21:02.

20. Re: What else is new... May 15, 2004, 17:38 Tango

No, I don't. Calm down- I wasn't accusing you of fanboyism, just pointing out that you weren't comparing like with like. Which wasn't obvious from your whole post. To quote another bit:
Unreal Tech/Engines/Games always looked better than id's current Engine at the time
Yeah ok - so DIII should be compared to UT2004, not the next gen U3 engine. And I'm not sure I'd even call them directly comparable - wide open areas vs narrow corridors.

This comment was edited on May 15, 17:41.

19. Re: What else is new... May 15, 2004, 16:20 TheNarcis

Do you work for NY Times or LA Times Tango?

Using one sentence of my whole description making it sound fanboy-ish and as if I didnt mention that engines come out later then id's.

Typical journalistic heresay targetting. "we tell the truth...just not the WHOLE truth"

Target certain phrases to make them look worse on their own.

18. Re: What else is new... May 15, 2004, 13:11 Tango

They are leaps and bounds graphically over id engines.
Of course they are - they're aiming for 2006 hardware, DIII is aimed at 2004's. Any comparison with the DIII engine is missing the point: Sweeney has said this is strictly a "next-gen" engine, a long way ahead of any actual game. The DIII (and Source, for that matter) are both 2004 engines, capable of running on any decent modern computer. U3 is a long way off - kinda like DIII looked when the first shots were released all those years ago. Now, going by a four year development cycle, id's next game will be a 2007/8/9 game, so will probably look even more exciting.

And "Unreal > Quake 2 and UT > Quake 3" is questionable. I'm no id fanboy, but you're not comparing like with like.

17. Shadows May 15, 2004, 12:29 Troll

Apparently the very hard stencil shadows will remain the preferred method for indoor stuff (e.g. http://www.unrealtechnology.com/screens/RagDoll.jpg) for quite some time.

Otherwise this indeed looks awesome.

16. What else is new... May 15, 2004, 12:11 TheNarcis

Unreal Tech/Engines/Games always looked better than id's current Engine at the time.

Unreal > Quake 2
UT > Quake 3

and now...

U3.0 > Doom 3

This is nothing new. While they come out a year or so later... They are leaps and bounds graphically over id engines.

Plus the scalability and ease of use of the Unreal Engine is unpresidented.

15. No subject May 15, 2004, 00:51 Xero

Ya this engine blows away any engine available currently. Definitely topples Doom 3 easily. I thought there was a limit to how far physics can go though this actually even looks better. The refrigerator and cable wire came to mind. The lighting is astonishing and how they create bricks, etc. to make it have the effect of sticking out of walls yet keeping polys simple. The end of the video topped it off with the amazing character models that are mind blowing. I don't know about you though I think that huge monster at the end looked better than the Ogre in Fellowship of the Ring. LoL. Cheers!

"This my finest sword. If in your journey you should encounter God, God will be cut." -Hattori Hanzo ~Kill Bill

Currently playing: Skyrim

14. Re: Unreal Engine May 15, 2004, 00:01 John

As has been advertised by the DX:IW and Thief: DS teams, the renderer (i.e. the graphical component), the physics system, the sound system, and the AI systems have all been completely rewritten for these games.

Hmm, maybe it shouldn't have been. Hope they did a little better work with it in Theif.

This space is available for rent

13. Re: Unreal Engine May 14, 2004, 22:38 Krovven

Higher rez version at Fileplanet. It's still from a Cam, but its in a fixed position.
http://www.fileplanet.com/download.aspx?f=140731

12. Re: Unreal Engine May 14, 2004, 20:50 Ryan

All looks great, but still just refinements of current engine tech.

True, but wowzers it's pretty (watch the shakey cam, the stills dont do it justice).

I'm tempted to say here that in one or two more engine revs the visuals will be "done", but I'd hate to stumble across this post when I'm playing "Doom Tournament 2013: Blueshift" and think what a fool I was.

But ya, the features that set apart the Unreal4/Doom5/Half-Life4 engines will probally be more tools, physics and AI related rather than visual quality.

11. Re: No subject May 14, 2004, 20:49 speechrut

"Maybe even better than the Doom 3 engine "

Lol, maybe? Doom3's lighting is great, but it's basically the simplest brute force method for lighting, sacrificing things like radiosity shading, complex light shading, and so forth. U3 is worlds ahead in this regard.

10. Re: Unreal Engine May 14, 2004, 19:40 Da-Fly

All looks great, but still just refinements of current engine tech. I can't help thinking the next big stride forward in engine dev will be proper deformable terrain with fully destructible buildings.
Soldner is apparently a good start, albeit with sacrifices made in the quality of the gfx. I say apparently because I've not managed to get either demo to run on my machine.

9. No subject May 14, 2004, 19:36 space captain

I really admire the way Epic is trying to empower people with their engine... its highly commendable - it seems that they understand where the true strength of innovation comes from

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

8. Re: Unreal Engine May 14, 2004, 15:59 Rolphus

As has been advertised by the DX:IW and Thief:DS teams, the renderer (i.e. the graphical component), the physics system, the sound system, and the AI systems have all been completely rewritten for these games. The Unreal engine essentially gave them a nice solid base to start from and a neat way of dealing with scripting and the "grunt work" of getting a game to work.

7. Unreal Engine May 14, 2004, 15:15 John

Theif: DS and DX: IW both use the Unreal Engine? If so, why was the performance in DX: IW so much worse than every other game I've played that uses the Unreal Engine?

Edit: ..and the graphics didn't look any better either.

This comment was edited on May 14, 15:18.

This space is available for rent

6. No subject May 14, 2004, 13:56 03YZFR6

U3 engine is not done yet hence its 2 years from now release schedule. I'm sure they will add tons of cool effects to it by then so it should be way more advanced then even the Doom 3 engine when it comes out. 2 years from now DX10 should be out, they are probably targeting that.

5. No subject May 14, 2004, 13:37 StreetPreacher

Looks really awesome. Maybe even better than the Doom 3 engine (which is a shame that I can't see the difference, being as though Doom 3 is now, and Unreal Engine 3 is prolly 2 yrs off).

But still, I've always favored the Unreal engine anyways. Much more mod and developer friendly.

Now when will they release high-res non-shaky cam movies?

4. Re: *drool* May 14, 2004, 12:30 diRty roBot

Here is the link. Crazy stuffs, can't wait for this action to get released:
http://www.pcgameworld.com/details.php/get/9713

3. Re: *drool* May 14, 2004, 12:26 TheBigVlad

Lookin good. Did you all see the shakycam video of the engine in action? I can't remember where to find it but it looked pretty sweet. Makes me curious to see what engine id will come up with after Doom 3, though I'm sure that's a long ways off. I always preffered the Unreal engines though, since they seem more flexible (can handle big outdoor areas very well and so on).

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo