Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on the H-L2 Date

The Neowin Winhec 2004 Blog (thanks Wookiestick) reports on the presentation of Half-Life 2 at an ATI bash, offering more support for the theory that Summer 2004 is the new September 30:

The demo was very impressive but was not a touch on the demo by Gabe Newell from Valve. This stole the whole keynote to actually see some new footage from Half Life 2. Again we got the whole video which is approximately 3 minutes long and as soon as we find somewhere with firewire well get it on here asap because its one to watch! Gabe claimed the X800 is 40% faster than the GeForce 6800 for Half Life 2 and confirmed that well see Half Life 2 this summer.

View
109 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

109. Re: No subject May 9, 2004, 10:52 CannonFodder

I prefer to play coop over deathmatch so i'll just buy Doom 3 on Xbox, and wait out the vid cards until prices come down and nvidia puts out new drivers for their cards that handle DX9 better, the nvidia cards seem to have more power then the ATI cards from the spec they've been showing so its just a matter of time before we see drivers from nvidia that will run it just as well, i've thought of buying an ATI card but the fact that nearly every game coming out requires the download of some sort of patch or new drivers to play tells me its a good idea to avoid ATI despite the hype, i've been and nvidia fan since early days of the TNT and they seem like a safer investment

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

108. No subject May 7, 2004, 21:45 SamBeckett

i want to be a gyro

http://profile.gamersglue.com/SamBeckett

http://www.lazygirls.info

107. Re: John... May 6, 2004, 14:29 John

Holy Crap, congrats Mr. 1000 post man

Heh, thanks. I finally made it after all these years (well, 2.6 yrs since I registered.. the day after 9/11). But now that I'm at 'Guru' status, there's nothing more to look forward to. I know Ray has over 2000, Dan is over 3000, and nin has over 4000 posts, yet they are still Gurus as well. It's cool though.

This space is available for rent

106. Re: New HL2 vids out now May 6, 2004, 11:26 The Truth

Shaky cam, and some unfinished animations and stuff, but totally awesome. Far what? Crying you say? I'll bet it is.

hmm, i watched them, wasent that impressed. sure it looks really good but ive got two issues which hopefully will be rectified by release.

1st) sliding characters as they move over a small distance! I HATE THAT!!

2nd) in one of the full screen clips something gets blown up, and the game chugs as the explosion goes off. considering thats probably on a kick ass system, that is not a good sign.

------
Leading the "Support our Arrow keys" movement!

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

105. wait May 6, 2004, 11:20 BluestCheese

so its not a new video? e3 of last year? or you mean an advanced copy of this years e3?

104. video from WinHEC May 6, 2004, 11:02 Wookiestick

WinHEC 2004 Half Life 2 video.
This video includes a quote from Gabe saying "Half Life 2 will be finished this summer".
I sure hope that comment is not just hot air like Sept. '03..
If you've seen the E3 Stryder video, its the exact same video, with the exception of Gabe's introduction and panning of the x800.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/creamhackered/WinHEC2004-HalfLife2Demo.zip

-Wookiestick

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2011, 19:33.

Love thy wookie.

103. hey yall May 6, 2004, 10:31 Wiggamoe

hey yall!

102. John... May 6, 2004, 10:27 jm0ris0n

Holy Crap, congrats Mr. 1000 post man

101. Re: No subject May 6, 2004, 09:12 CrowFeather

Just a start, post your own "HL2-replacement-activities"

1. Get a job and move out of your parents' basement.
2. Go to college and move out of your parents' basement.
3. Join the military and move out of your parents' basement.
4. Write long posts flaming me for saying that you live in your parents' basement.

100. Re: Nvidia sucks May 6, 2004, 02:15 John

I know I just posted but I wanted to make an even 100 posts on my 1000th post.

99. Re: Nvidia sucks May 6, 2004, 01:49 John

I had to turn to Nvidia after 3dfx went down, and I never liked them. I had GeForce3, 4, and an FX5600.

Why did you buy 3 nVidia cards if you never liked them? I've had a GF2, 3, and 4, and have been happy with each one. I'll probably skip the GF5 series, so hope some mid-range versions of the GF6 are out soon. Otherwise I may check out a fair-priced 9800 since nVidia disappointed me with their GF5s.

98. Sorry May 6, 2004, 00:29 Kosumo

Sorry about last post, wrong fourm, my bad, please do as all where doing

97. Re: Nvidia sucks May 6, 2004, 00:14 Bad Dos

"So let me get this straight. You bought a card from the bottom end, 5600. With very few pipes, low core and memory speed."

No... Actually, I upgraded my low end G4 - 4200 to a mid range GFX 5600. Then I switched to a 9600XT (ATI low end) then to a 9800XT (ATI high end).

Whatever people want to say is fine... The fact of the matter is that Nvidia's $200 mid range cards are way over priced for their performance.

Nvidia's cards have been on a downward spiral that even supporters have to aggree with. My top of the line $300 GF3 ti500 was outperformed by a $100 GF4 4200. Then I spent $200 on a GFFX 5600 which was still outperformed by the $100 GF4. WTF? Does Nvidia only make good cards in the $100 range?

ATI's $200 9600XT blew my GF FX 5600 Ultra out of the water by around 40% in DX9 games. I upgraded to the 9800XT just to get even better performance (not because I want to better a 5600 or compare it to the 5600).

96. Meh May 5, 2004, 23:52 Kosumo

Want a post all, thieves taking about stealing thief3 and Wankers whine about what wankers they are.

Good thing Computer Gaming Maxed out at the Amiga 500's Speedball 2!

"Ice cream, Ice Cream"

95. Re: 9800XT vs. Nvidia May 5, 2004, 23:41 rkone

As 92 and 94 show, there's just no pleasing everyone

94. 9800XT vs. Nvidia May 5, 2004, 22:51 Zephalephelah

I'm selling my ATI card. That fucking thing fucked my system up. Now when the card is cold, it's all stupid, reboots the computer, etc.

Once it is warm, it's a nice card.

Oh well, back to NVidia. The top cards are so close that it really doesn't matter. The only reason I went with ATI last time is because it didn't have a vacuum cleaner leaf blower fan.

In my opinion, ATI has always been behind. Because it's the only card I've ever owned that has been such a pain the fucking ass. So back to good old trusty Nvidia, the card brand that has been stable for me at every upgrade, least problems with games, and excellent performance.

Like someone is going to visually see a few percent difference anyway. You can measure it with a machine, but you certainly can't see it. Besides, both companies have proven themselves to be utterly unreliable in how they focus on benchmarking. I'm just going to get the NV40 card and stop worrying about whether I can get my E-penis to be another Millimeter longer or not.

93. Re: Nvidia sucks May 5, 2004, 22:39 hebrew_national

Since then, I have upgraded to a ATI 9800XT. Very expensive card, but it looks so much better and runs way faster. My fps went up about 300% switching to the 9800XT vs the Nvidia 5600 Ultra.

So let me get this straight. You bought a card from the bottom end, 5600. With very few pipes, low core and memory speed. A card which you would very well have KNOWN would not perform that well in a lot of games [especially dx9 ones] if you had read ONE SINGLE review. Then you compare it to the top end 9800XT and say "WOW ITS ALOT FASTAR....NVIDIA SUX".

Are we supposed to learn something from your post, other than the fact that you have astonishingly bad self perception regarding your own poor judgement?

Please, come to my fictitious car dealership. I'll sell you a little geo metro with 90 horsepower and then show you reviews pitting it up against a porsche. Then you can buy the Geo, pretend to act all surprised that is isn't winning any drag races, THEN go out and buy the porsche instead.

It's wankers like you that probably keep the American economy rolling. You buy two of everything that you don't need, then pretend like its someone elses fucking fault.

92. Nvidia sucks May 5, 2004, 21:12 Bad Dos

I had to turn to Nvidia after 3dfx went down, and I never liked them. I had GeForce3, 4, and an FX5600.

It always appeared to me that the Nvidia cards lied about their framerates. I remember switching from my Voodoo5 to a GeForce 3 and doing timedemos in quake3. The GeForce always beat the 3dfx in average fps, but running around the same map I would experience noticable slowdowns in certain spots where the voodoo didn't. I was very unhappy with this until I got my GeForce4.

The last slap in the face from Nvidia was when I upgrade (heh) to the GeForce 5600 Ultra. This card is a serious joke, and runs terrible in almost every DX9 game I've played it on.

Since then, I have upgraded to a ATI 9800XT. Very expensive card, but it looks so much better and runs way faster. My fps went up about 300% switching to the 9800XT vs the Nvidia 5600 Ultra.

I've also BBR'd a 9600XT for testing sake, and it was about 40% faster in most of the DX9 games than my old 5600 Ultra.

Nvidia is old news in my opinoin... Maybe they took on too much dead weight from 3dfx.

91. Re: New HL2 vids out now May 5, 2004, 20:54 Bunko

Hmmmph. Not very high quality but interesting none the less.The car trap and the manipulator videos are nifty. Can't really figure out the D.O.G. video. I'll have to wait for the actual presentation to pass judgement. I think HL2 will not be as revolutionary as the first but I think it will still be some very high quality entertainment.

Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

90. Re: HL2 May 5, 2004, 20:53 sinner's saint

"Also, if I'm an uneducated consumer, and I'm going out to buy a video card, I'm going to be mightily pisses if I buy a $500 6800U card and the same priced ATI card outperforms mine."

If you're a uneducated consumer blowing 500 dollars on something you are a faggot.

109 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo