Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

It Came From E3, Part 1

Or, as was pointed out by a reader named Dave Johnston, it came before E3:

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Rediculous technicalities May 7, 2004, 22:53 Chigbuster

But what if this expansion pack takes place at different times of WWII for each campaign and not only in 1944?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: No subject May 6, 2004, 02:13 John

Heh, yeah. I would too. I just said that because it sounded like everyone was taking him seriously.

It would be cool though.

This space is available for rent

30. Re: No subject May 5, 2004, 12:50 MindTrigger

John, I hope it was a joke. Personally if I was going to say something like that, I would have made it sound a little more feasable... but that's just me

You'll notice in my post that I said "If you are telling the truth", cause it kinda sounded like BS to me too. Just not logical.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

29. Re: Rediculous technicalities May 5, 2004, 01:40 gerauchertes

So, to answer your "Why, why, why!?" question - it's because the COD developers do their homework.

Ah ha! No, my friend. You yourself have pointed out that the British had abandoned the combat use of their B-17s, and daylight raids altogether, before 1942. However, CoD takes place in the latter half of 1944, long after the RAF had dedicated its heavy bombers solely to night attack duties. The handful of obsolete RAF Fortresses had been entirely replaced by British designs such as the Halifax and Lancaster.

Additionally, there can be no explanation for the USAAF squadron markings (specifically the paint job on the vertical stabilizers) on aircraft flying under the insignia of the Royal Air Force. Missing are the black and white identifying stripes on the fuselage and wings which all Allied aircraft in the European theater wore from just prior to D-Day until the war's end.

Furthermore, all B-17s provided to the RAF under the lend-lease program were, as stated, B-17Cs. By 1944, none of this variant were in combat service under any flag, and the screenshots shown clearly depict B-17E or F variants (B-17C did not feature the characteristic ventral ball turret or a tailgunner position; these were not introduced until the E model).

Clearly, the CoD team has not, in fact, done its homework.

That's right, my head is crammed with useless knowledge. Edit: And Gray Matter ought to pay me to keep their shit in line.

This comment was edited on May 5, 01:58.

28. Re: No subject May 5, 2004, 01:34 John

Umm, wasn't that 3 video card post just a joke? I was pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

27. Re: Rediculous technicalities May 5, 2004, 00:52 Scottish Martial Arts

So, to answer your "Why, why, why!?" question - it's because the COD developers do their homework.

My guess is that they got lucky with this one. There were huge historical and technical innacuracies in CoD, all signs point to it being the same in the expansion.

26. Re: No subject May 5, 2004, 00:26 MindTrigger

Yeah, but besides a very small group of people, who's gonna spend $1000 (give or take) for something like that, and where's the justification for it? What game will need that much beef? I guess we will have to wait and see. If you are telling the truth, the whole things sounds a little weird to me. Should be interesting to say the least.

I mean, lets look at it from a longevity point of view. What good are 3 PCI-E cards in a nifty cutting edge enclosure, when DX10 or some other new feature comes out. Frankly, Id rather pay $300 or so a year and keep up with the technology than spend some huge amount for a power-house video thing.

It's already hard enough to swallow having to pay $400-$500 for a top of the line video card, when you can build a fairly kick ass computer for about $1000 these days.
This comment was edited on May 5, 00:32.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

25. No subject May 4, 2004, 23:39 space captain

"The RADEON X800 uses 16 parallel pixel pipes and six vertex pipes to process more than eight billion pixels and almost 800 million vertices per second. ATI used the .13 micron semiconductor process from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing to produce the RADEON 9800 XT. ATI says this fabrication process delivers graphics cards that purportedly will work in customer's existing PCs without requiring power supply or cooling upgrades. Among the RADEON X800's new features is a compression technology that uses high-resolution normal maps. Normal maps are used to give characters and scenes lots of detail without the performance hit normally associated with using high-polygon models."

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

24. Re: No subject May 4, 2004, 23:37 space captain

that shit could pump out some serious polys

- SUBHUMANS

23. Re: Alienware May 4, 2004, 23:14 saturnine

Alienware is debuting their external video card enclosure.

Holy crap. 3 video cards in one. I've heard of using 2 with PCI-E, but not 3. Sounds intriguing, and very expensive!

22. Re: Alienware May 4, 2004, 21:54 CyBeRpImP2

Alienware is debuting their external video card enclosure.
The debut will be with 3 daisy chained PCI express ATI Radeon X880's. It's cooled with x6 80mm SilenX 9dB fans (3 intake, 3 exhaust.)

Source: Withheld for security reasons. ;-)

21. Re: Rediculous technicalities May 4, 2004, 19:48 BigDaddy

What are you doing in the gun turrets of a B-17 in CoD:UO's British campaign? Why are the B-17's painted with American squadron markings and RAF roundels? Why is the RAF flying around in Forts, and why are they flying around in the daytime? Why, why!?

On March 11, 1941, the US Congress passed the Lend-Lease Law, which authorized the War Department to sell, lend or lease war material to "the government of any country whose defense the President deems vital for the defense of the United States".

The British Royal Air Force (RAF) immediately requested a number of B-17s. The USAAC agreed to divert twenty aircraft of an order for 38 new B-17Cs to England. These twenty "Fortress I’s" were essentially similar to USAAC B-17Cs, but had most of the guns replaced by 0.5-inch Browning machine guns. They also had self-sealing fuel tanks installed before the Fortress I’s were flown to Britain.

By September of 1941, RAF Fortresses had flown 22 attacks against targets such as Bremen, Brest, Emden, Kiel, Oslo, and Rotterdam. A total of 39 planes had been dispatched, out of which eighteen planes had aborted and two had been forced to bomb secondary targets because of mechanical problems. Eight Fortresses had been destroyed in combat or lost in accidents. Discouraged by these losses, the RAF decided to abandon daylight bombing raids over Europe.

This comment was edited on May 4, 19:49.

20. Re: E3 coverage May 4, 2004, 19:25 PHJF

quantum leap? Ah, screw that, man. All that nuclear chemistry went in one ear and out the other. I'll stick to balancing equations.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: E3 coverage May 4, 2004, 17:56 JAGUART

Where are the booth babes?

http://www.e3girls.com/display.cfm?startrow=21&pagenum=3&type=full&query=full

http://www.e3girls.com/main.cfm

Public opinion version .12b Alpha

"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

18. Re: E3 coverage May 4, 2004, 17:35 sinner's saint

"Is there a source for this alienware info ? I could
find no other mention on the web; including their own
web site. Could be BS...."

What? What you say? CLOSED DOORS DEMO? Meaning the doors will be closed so I will not know? Me, the general public? But I visited their website which is not closed, why not me see? Website is not a door. Me understand no :(.

17. Re: E3 coverage May 4, 2004, 17:08 Praxus

Is there a source for this alienware info ? I could
find no other mention on the web; including their own
web site. Could be BS....

16. Re: E3 coverage May 4, 2004, 16:26 Enahs

Where are the booth babes?

Probably still ho'ing for crack untill E3 actually starts NEXT WEE

EHH WRONG HALSY!

They are already in round 2 of voting
http://insider.ign.com/teasers/509/509944.html

And freakin' E3 has not even started......how freakin' lame is that?

_____
Enahs If you can read this - congratulations - You have won!!! Just e-mail with your CC# to claim your prize!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

15. No subject May 4, 2004, 16:08 space captain

I just had an idea about it: I bet its some kind of new, supercooled way of overclocking your GPUs... sounds about right for that company

- SUBHUMANS

14. Re: E3 coverage May 4, 2004, 16:05 Anvil

I'm guessing that a quantum leap in graphics technology means a jump from one energy state to another - i.e. you'll be needing a 3kw power supply not a 300w version.  
Anvil - from the land of warm beer and mad cattle.

13. Re: E3 coverage May 4, 2004, 15:33 John

Probably still ho'ing for crack untill E3 actually starts NEXT WEEK!

Yeah, the title "It Came From E3" gives the impression that E3 has already begun. That's why Dave mentioned that it should be before E3.

Edit: Oh, I'm also interested in finding out what Alienware's i"quantum leap in PC graphics technology" will be. I wonder if there is a way to find out what their 'multiple patents' are.

This comment was edited on May 4, 15:35.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo