Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

It Came from E3, Part 0

The trend of E3 announcements and content actually appearing prior to the show is now to the point where this debut round-up is over a week in advance of the show. Soon we may be able to wrap things up before the expo even begins.

• Half-Life 2
    Any thoughts that Half-Life 2 would be released prior to the show probably end here: "At this years E3 Expo, there will be not one but TWO Half-Life 2 theatres to get a look at two different demonstrations with ALL-NEW content... After checking out the demo at the VUG booth, then head over to the ATI Booth #1608 - also in South Hall - for another ALL NEW Half-Life 2 demo."
  • Army
    Uncle Sam will be in attendance as well: "Offering unique understanding into the elite Special Operations Forces through its America's Army PC game, the U.S. Army will showcase at the upcoming E3 show the rigorous training, high-tech systems, and new technologies that place the Special Forces at the forefront in the Global War on Terrorism."
  • GameSpot
    The early achievers award goes to the annual E3 maniacs at GameSpot, where they have already posted "Preshow Impressions" of Sid Meier's Pirates! and RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, as well as a bunch of console titles.
  • Atari
    There are screenshots of Atari's E3 Lineup on GameSpy.

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

33. Re: No subject May 3, 2004, 15:04 HorrorScope

Ah those people still have a case if they are bright or not. It was a deal, it was in print, it's going to be a year+ before they get what the package stated. Poor.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: No subject May 3, 2004, 15:03 JM

I don't understand that point. You still get the game - and the cards are almost universally going to play HL2 as well as indicated. Nothing has changed and you haven't lost anything.

You've lost the price difference between when you bought the 9800XT back in Sepetember and whatever it's gonna cost when they finally release Half Life 2. People who bought the 9800XT primarily because they wanted to be able to run Half Life 2 adequately wasted money based on an unfufilled promise. If these same people had known back when they bought the card that Half Life 2 would be a year or more delayed, I doubt they would have made that same purchase. Perhaps when the game ships the card will $100 cheaper. Thats a big deal if you ask me.

31. Eh.... May 3, 2004, 14:55 The Half Elf

When it's done it's done and I'll get a copy of it. No point in getting so angry that I crap myself out of frustration every time Half Life 2 is mentioned.

I've often found that going into something with a closed mind is typically the worst thing I can do especially if it's a game that noone has played. So what the game was delayed? It's not like they are doing a 3D Realms and just not saying anything or going to E3 anymore. I guess I have a little more faith then the jaded people on here who don't live in the real world, where problems arrise and things have set backs. Dissapointed? Yeah a little, but if not getting a computer game when demanded pisses ya off then as it was mentioned in this thread before, then you need to grow up and step into the real world where life isn't fair and you don't always get what ya want when ya want it.

Kudos to Valve for not saying "Screw it" and not doing a media blackout. I mean noone heard anything about Half Life 2 for 5 years, and all of a sudden we hear about it a few months ago and everyone is having a shitfit it wasn't released yet. I mean ya went 5 years not even knowing about the game, a little more time won't kill ya.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

30. Re: No subject May 3, 2004, 14:49 Waldo555

I don't understand that point. You still get the game - and the cards are almost universally going to play HL2 as well as indicated. Nothing has changed and you haven't lost anything.

Those who bought their video card solely for the HL2 voucher on a projected release date clearly aren't overly bright. Sensible people weigh up a number of factors when they make a purchase, and the voucher would be just one of several which might tip the balance - eg. their financial situation, a good upgrade path, longevity and performance in released games. If none of those things came up positive in their thinking then frankly they deserve no sympathy.
This comment was edited on May 3, 14:51.

29. ... May 3, 2004, 14:46 BluestCheese

Will Blue debut his new roof at e3?

28. Re: No subject May 3, 2004, 14:37 JM

Personally, I would be really pissed if I was someone who bought 9800XT with the promise of a free copy of Half Life 2 and was now left waiting for it. Think about it, the Half Life 2 inclusion was meant as an incentive to get people to buy the 9800XT when it first came out meaning they paid a premium price for the card. When Half Life 2 does finally ship how much cheaper do you think that same video card will be then? I'd be asking ATI and/or Valve to reimburse me the price difference.

This comment was edited on May 3, 14:39.

27. Re: No subject May 3, 2004, 14:36 HorrorScope

Well you could make a case for the people who bought Radeon cards with the free HL2 offer.

26. Re: No subject May 3, 2004, 13:48 Takeshi Kovacs

Anyone else getting sick of this 'spoiler' videos of the game?

Yup! Just think, if the game had shipped on time, we'd all be playing Counter-Strike v.2.0.x by now.

As it is, they're just stringing people along until the next video card tie-in: "Get HL2 free with purchase of this here Radeon X800 series! No, for real this time! Aww, come back!"

25. No subject May 3, 2004, 13:42 StreetPreacher

Sure I'm a little peeved that Valve blew their "definate" delivery date by what will probably turn out to be a full year, but whatreyagonnado? We'll all still buy it. Any of us should know by now that it's easy to tell when a game developer is lying - just listen for the delivery date. They're ALWAYS a lie, and if you haven't learned that by now then you never will. Just enjoy the games that are out NOW, ooh and ahh over the screens when they come out, and forget about the rest.

This comment was edited on May 3, 13:42.

24. No subject May 3, 2004, 13:34 hejhej

Don't you just love how people like hejhej take a small comment and turn it into an entire discussion...

It was a pre-emptive post - usually posts about HL2 degenerate into OMFG VALVE ish Teh sux0r!!1

pre-emptive strikes are the new hotness right?

/ok that last part was a troll ;p

This comment was edited on May 3, 13:35.

23. Re: Question May 3, 2004, 13:25 GibMonkey

No, but I play one on T.V.

Or like my wife likes to say, mind of a 10 year old trapped in a 30 year old body.

Not trying to fuel the fire here, but after all that crap the company pulled last September, (anyone who has been following it will understand) I've just lost some respect from a company that was pretty high on my list. You don't announce a game delay SEVEN DAYS before you're alleged "DROP DEAD SHIPPING DATE," only to delay the game for a WHOLE YEAR.

Come on man, I bought a 9800XT and have this wonderful little coupon for a free HL2 game. What kinda bull is that? Just a little sleazy, that's all.

Plus, Farcry is keeping me at bay until DOOM 3 comes out!

22. Re: No subject May 3, 2004, 13:25 MindTrigger

hejhej,

I'm with you on that. I'm not one to freak out about games for the most part, but I don't mind saying I'm a little pissed about DOOM3 and HL2. It's my own damn fault though, cause I have REALY lofty standards for the games I choose to dedicate my time to. I don't play a lot of games. I normally pick one game and stick to it, join a clan, and play for a 2-3 years. I know either DOOM3 or HL2 will be my next game. Just seems like I've been waiting forever.

In the end, of course the delays can only be good. That doesn't make them any less aggrivating though, especially when the games that have come out the past 2-3 years pretty much suck.

Sorry for the loser comment. I haven't had any coffee yet this morning.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

21. Re: No subject May 3, 2004, 13:22 Tony!!!

Don't you just love how people like hejhej take a small comment and turn it into an entire discussion. The guy has a right to be eager for a game that was suppose to be out a year ago. No need to act like the school teacher because you have a different view.
Lord, I'm upset that I can't afford to buy a new pc. I supposed I shouldn't talk about that though as well.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

20. Re: No subject May 3, 2004, 13:19 JosephBlowski

I bet HL2 and DOOM 3 both will not be out till christmas.

Anyone see the help wanted ad for id the other day? They wanted a programmer for mod tools.

If id is just now programming mod tools for Doom, the game will not be released anytime soon.

19. Question May 3, 2004, 13:17 BluestCheese

is gibmonk33 a grown up?

18. Re: No subject May 3, 2004, 13:13 Nexus

This whole anger thing over the delay is something I just dont get. Either the game will come out eventually and it'll be good or bad, or it won't.
Valve haven't screwed over any player's life simply because it wasn't out last year.
Sure. I'm really anticipating it coming out, but if it slips then there's other games to buy and try while waiting. It certainly wasn't critical to my plans for world domination to have the game last year.

Chill out, get used to waiting and release date fuckups. There's polenty better things to do than to stress about something that's such a non-issue when considered seriously.

17. Whiners May 3, 2004, 13:12 Nyarlathotep

Pissed because HL2 got delayed? Try waiting for Call of Cthulhu, you whiners  
-------
Calling Cthulhu
http://www.callingcthulhu.com

16. Re: feh May 3, 2004, 13:11 GibMonkey

You're right, I have nothing better to do at the moment than be pissed at developers who screw over their fanbase/customers.

I betcha ATI is more pissed than I am!

No REALLY it is DEFINITELY coming out September 30th. NO REALLY!!!

Now, like I said before, begone EXCREMENT!

15. No subject May 3, 2004, 13:04 hejhej

I don't claim to be superior. I play games, read websites about games etc. I just don't act all offended when developers delay a game. It happens all the time, its usually means we get a better product, so why get all upset? Plenty of other things to do than play hl2.

And that whole "loser" rant, I think someone is projecting...

14. No subject May 3, 2004, 13:04 space captain

i doubt HL2 will be released before the Winter quarter

could go into next year even

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo