Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

It Came from E3, Part 0

The trend of E3 announcements and content actually appearing prior to the show is now to the point where this debut round-up is over a week in advance of the show. Soon we may be able to wrap things up before the expo even begins.

• Half-Life 2
    Any thoughts that Half-Life 2 would be released prior to the show probably end here: "At this years E3 Expo, there will be not one but TWO Half-Life 2 theatres to get a look at two different demonstrations with ALL-NEW content... After checking out the demo at the VUG booth, then head over to the ATI Booth #1608 - also in South Hall - for another ALL NEW Half-Life 2 demo."
  • Army
    Uncle Sam will be in attendance as well: "Offering unique understanding into the elite Special Operations Forces through its America's Army PC game, the U.S. Army will showcase at the upcoming E3 show the rigorous training, high-tech systems, and new technologies that place the Special Forces at the forefront in the Global War on Terrorism."
  • GameSpot
    The early achievers award goes to the annual E3 maniacs at GameSpot, where they have already posted "Preshow Impressions" of Sid Meier's Pirates! and RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, as well as a bunch of console titles.
  • Atari
    There are screenshots of Atari's E3 Lineup on GameSpy.

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

73. No subject May 4, 2004, 09:59 Nexus

I have a funny feeling that the worst complaint I would really agree with about being out X amount of cash would be the depreciation of the XT minus the depreciation of the card you would have got anyway.

If you didn't really need the card at the time or since (as we're considering the depreciation of the card from then to now), you were spending money completely frivolously anyway, considering FarCry.

Additionally, factor in that the same cards are now selling without the HL2 offer, meaning that you should factor that into the depreciated cost of the card over time before working out how bad a deal it was.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: The ID & Valve Conversation May 4, 2004, 06:21 Ray Marden

It's the same date as all our games, December.

So true...

Wanting my money back from renting Stuck On You :(,
Ray

--------------------------------
http://www.thief3.org/
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

71. No subject May 4, 2004, 06:16 Ajax

What can I say? I'm that good.

The only thing ground breaking I see is Half-life's facial animation system. Other than that, more of the same, just with added flash. The time where they would be revolutionary passed, not their fault though.

I at least hope they have some good stories behind them.

70. Betting !!!!!! May 4, 2004, 06:07 Kosumo

Bet You Wouldn't!

69. Re: No subject May 4, 2004, 05:36 Tango

HL2 And Doom3 are really more of the same. From what I can tell there isn't much of a gameplay innovation.
If my powers of prediction were that accurate, I'd spend my time at a betting shop.

68. Re: No subject May 4, 2004, 03:52 Evil Timmy

ID: Yep. We've been done with the game since February. We just wanted to go to E3 again. It's fun.

You owe me a mouthful of Pepsi over that line. Let's say, two ounces? Okay, good.

Personally, I stopped caring about game release dates and pre-release hype and all that a long time ago. For some of these people, it seems like they feel delaying, say, Half-Life 2, is equivalent to Gabe Newell personally running over their dog, then pissing on it and tossing it on their front porch. It's a reality of the gaming industry: things often take longer than was originally planned. And yes, Valve screwed up with their incredibly late delay announcement. However, if you weren't following it that closely, it wasn't anything to get upset about. It also leaves you more open to the option of other games; Halo, Etherlords II, Jedi Academy, Homeworld 2 and MOH:AA Breakthrough were all worthy of your time and came out in September 2003.

If you get your hopes up based on pre-release hype, there's little you can be but disappointed. However, if you stick largely to games that have garnered good feedback from reviewers and the gaming public, you're likely to have an overall much more enjoyable experience, and to play games that may not have huge marketing and PR teams, but that are more worth your time than half a dozen lame sequels.

Edit: Fixed formatting. Thanks for using completely non-standard tags, to mess with my php/webdesign habits and sensibilities!
This comment was edited on May 4, 03:53.

67. No subject May 4, 2004, 01:54 Ajax

Whatever

HL2 And Doom3 are really more of the same. From what I can tell there isn't much of a gameplay innovation. Maybe they will release something exciting about the game this year. They are both pretty, HL2 has a pretty cool character system, but I'll just rent Final Fantsay if you think pretty characters make a game. They certainly help but they don't make it fun.

I hope they at least make it fun. Too bad Far Cry came out of left field and beat them all to punch by being Good lucking AND fun. It's downfall was boring and buggy mp and a save system that pisses some but not all people off. The AI was pretty solid, graphics were good, enviroments were pretty and expansive(interiors look REAL cool). Nothing really new though, story was entertaining but not deep.

I personally think the next gamplay innovation will come from Stalker. Wether it's fun or not we'll have to wait and see.

66. Sorry May 4, 2004, 00:37 Kosumo

Sorry, your right even thought my last post was made before I read you comment, my eternly shame!

65. Maybe? Micheal Touchson May 4, 2004, 00:32 Kosumo

In regaurd to post #29

Look, It's Vapourware if every I've seen it

have you seen blues roof? no? neither!

Nothing more than milking the money the the bluetower(tm) is drowning in! hype hype hype thats all it is, face it, Blue and Miss Blue are only protentys owned by Disney, Miss Blue is played by the same person that plays Britney Spears! look, there is so much more I've got to say but I've got to go to the wholesalers again, and NO I'm not out of holes!

64. Re: Why D3&HL2 are delayed... again!!! May 3, 2004, 23:48 vajbern

Zeph: very, very funny.

ID: Hi Gabe, I see you've delayed HL2 again. Still having problems with the AI? I could help.

Valve: No John, you know the rules of business. I don't want to be sued by you for royalties when our game kicks your ass.

I'm not 100% sure but I think John Carmack only works on the games (rendering) engine and not the character AI. But your post is still hilarious, and mine is neither definitely correct nor important.

63. Re: F.Y.I.!!! May 3, 2004, 23:33 vajbern

I'm getting sick of these idiots complaining about havng to wait months to get copies of the HalfLife movies.

The 600+meg shakycam movie was of fairly good quality: good enough to be indicative of the quality of the game itself, and I still have it on my computer. It took me a few days to download with my 56 k dial-up, but the date I unzipped it was 2003/05/22.

The HQ-Bink movies were a little disappointing because, although they were significantly clearer than the massive shakycam video, they revealed every single visual artifact problem with the game: no anti-aliasing to clean up the "jaggies".

The shakycam movie left me completely awe-struck, and I would hate for Valve to not release another (or two) this time round. F**K the bink videos. I don't want to wait weeks for them to be slowly bled onto the net. I don't mind taking a few days to download a couple of large HL2 movies immediately after E3, like I did last year (if you're reading, Valve).

So please stop complaining about having to wait for the media to be released to everyone. Or we probably won't see anything till the damned game is released.

"If we wait long enough, IT will come!!!"

62. No subject May 3, 2004, 23:07 Pete

zeph wins for funniest post in this thread

Im now looking for reasons to keep my SWG account active

Doin' it Big

61. Re: 32 May 3, 2004, 21:45 BATTLE4MY

"no by the time HL2 comes out, the 9800XT will be onboard the motherboard."

^LMAO

60. Re: 32 May 3, 2004, 20:55 The Truth

Now, when Half Life 2 does finally hit store shelves, that same 9800XT will probably be anywhere from $50 to $100 cheaper

no by the time HL2 comes out, the 9800XT will be onboard the motherboard.

as a side note, based off all the bitching about that deal, does anyone know if ATI's sales went up after they announced that deal, or if people just waited for the game to come out first?

------
Leading the "Support our Arrow keys" movement!

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

59. Re: The ID & Valve Conversation May 3, 2004, 20:52 The Truth

now that was funny!

------
Leading the "Support our Arrow keys" movement!

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

58. Re: The ID & Valve Conversation May 3, 2004, 20:39 wasrad

Back in the day, kids would have probably made a new counter-strike outta that alpha.

That is definitely something Carmack would say. It is just so true.

57. Re: The ID & Valve Conversation May 3, 2004, 20:38 hebrew_national

Zeph- that was a funny piece you wrote up, except it doesnt make sense that JC is "in" on fucking the community up the ass. He hasn't.

Gabe [Hamburgler] however....

56. Re: No subject May 3, 2004, 20:34 Tony!!!

Jon, I'll take em!

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

55. WTF People May 3, 2004, 20:31 wasrad

Why do some of you bitch about games not coming out???

Good, stable games take alot of work and with todays technology, thats alot of work.

I have a suggestion for all of you bitching about release dates taking forever:

Get a fucking life.

~Your metal friend
The Wasrad

54. The ID & Valve Conversation May 3, 2004, 20:26 Zephalephelah

ID: Hi Gabe, I see you've delayed HL2 again. Still having problems with the AI? I could help.

Valve: No John, you know the rules of business. I don't want to be sued by you for royalties when our game kicks your ass.

ID: Well I don't think that those scripted sequences will work after you told everyone that it was intelligent AI, but okay. Anyway, looks like we're both at E3 again, huh?

Valve: Well that was the plan right? I mean that's why we came up with that stolen source-code bullshit last year.

ID: Yeah, that was a good one; lots of free publicity and community sympathy.

Valve: Well, it was certainly better than the ATI alpha leak crap you guys pulled.

ID: Yeah, that didn't work so well. The younger generation of gamers have no fucking clue at all. They actually believed that the alpha was fully rendered, full AI, with actual creature hit points. I'd like to see them try that shit on my pinky dog in the real game. Like it takes 4 shots to kill that fucking thing. Oh well, these kids are so dumb nowadays. Back in the day, kids would have probably made a new counter-strike outta that alpha.

Valve: I know what you mean. So what are we going to do about release dates? You're game is done too right?

ID: Yeah, just what the fuck are we gonna do about this game of the year stuff?

Valve: Well, we want to add another creature type in and these scripts that we wrote aren't cutting it. The two kids we kidnapped for testing keep on figuring out that the AI is complete bullshit and we have to add so many new subscripts that it "appears" to be intelligent AI, but no one has made good AI. Humans are just so unpredictable. You can't make a monster decide it doesn't want to eat you after all, or make it come up with it's own ambush plan. AI is still so primitive.

ID: So you want us to go first still...

Valve: Look, John, one of us has too.

ID: Rock, paper, sissors?

Valve: (laughs) We want 2005 John. So just put the game out already.

ID: You really are a fat slob, you know that Gabe?

Valve: Are you going to sell the game or just keep going to E3's until someone comes to Texas and blows up your shop?

ID: They say that the 3rd time's the charm.

Valve: You really are an asshole.

ID: Yeah, but I'm not fat.

Valve: Fuck you.

ID: And ugly.

Valve: You're nose looks like a skeleton head, you four-eyed fucktard.

ID: Good one. Yeah, we're shipping next week. We're announcing it Gold on day 1 of E3.

Valve: Really?

ID: No. Just fucking with you. It's the same date as all our games, December.

Valve: This year?

ID: Yep. We've been done with the game since February. We just wanted to go to E3 again. It's fun.

Valve: Yeah it is. I wonder if the gaming community knows we're fucking with them?

ID: You read bluesnews? They know. But it doesn't matter. We're making sequels to their favorite games. They have to wait. They have no choice.

Valve: I guess you're right. You better not be fucking with me. December 2004 right?

ID: Hey, it's done. We just want to put it out on the same dates as our previous games.

Valve: Can I have a copy now?

ID: Sure. No problem.

Valve: It sure has been fun fucking the gaming community up the ass and making hype out of nothing hasn't it?

ID: Yes, it's been a gas. Making people buy 9800XTs, that was funny. Stupid bitches...

Valve: (laughs) Yeah, kids are our puppets on the strings of our cleverness.

ID: So are you gonna pay me?

Valve: I don't think you won. You're putting the game out in December. I thought the bet was who could make the most money by putting things off the longest.

ID: Two words. Micro Soft. (laughs) They paid me $24 million for XBOX Console exclusivity. Dumb asses.

Valve: Okay, you win, I'll send you the dollarbill when I get my copy of Doom.

ID: Deal. Bye.

Valve: Bye.

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo