Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars E3 Beta Client

The Guild Wars E3 for Everyone Client is now available, laying the groundwork for the public beta test of the upcoming MMORPG that will run during E3 (story). Word is: "Download the client - Register your account - Come join us May 12-14 and play Guild Wars! - Remember! You can invite as many friends as you like to join you! - Note: Gameplay access will not be available until 12:01AM Pacific on May 12th." The demo debuted on GameSpot DLX, and the download is now mirrored on Gamer's Hell and Worthplaying.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: *sigh* May 3, 2004, 21:08 MacD

It's simple, really, why a lot of people hate subscription fees. I'd like to give Star Wars Galaxies a whirl too (well, actually after reading about it, I wouldn't, but that would leave you without a perfectly good anecdote). The problem is that I have too little free time, due to having to study and work to be able to do the former. So no way in hell am I paying $15 a month for something I'd only be able to play for maybe 8 hours tops per week. OTOH, I'd've payed for the box if it where free to play for the rest. And there are many others who don't play MMORPG's for this reason.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: *sigh* May 3, 2004, 07:20 PHJF

You people and your genres are pathetic.

MMORPG means only to me that they rip you off and leech your money.

This is free.

See? It's called perception. It varies.

------
The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

53. Re: *sigh* May 3, 2004, 05:31 Pumas

Precisely the elitist prick I was talking about

V

How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

52. No subject May 3, 2004, 04:38 Tr0n

Well, I guess it's best you people try it out during E3 and see for yourself :).

51. Re: *sigh* May 3, 2004, 02:09 Kobalt

I am excited about the game regardless of what you elitist pricks want to whine about

And no one cares despite the fact that you felt the need to tell us that.

50. Re: *sigh* May 3, 2004, 00:28 Brym

I've never understood the hatred people have for monthly fees. Most MMORPGs are the type of games that provide hundreds of hours of gameplay. When I finish my free trial of an MMORPG, I'm more than happy to pay $10-$15 for another month, knowing that I'll probably play for at least 40 hours (If I'm the hardcore type, more like 80 or even 160)during that time. Consider that the average FPS nowadays provides 10 hours of gameplay at a price of $40, I think that's a bargain.

In any case, any game that is supposedly like diablo is worth trying as far as I'm concerned.

This comment was edited on May 3, 00:28.

49. *sigh* May 3, 2004, 00:20 Pumas

These comment sections always turn into dipshit fests.

I am excited about the game regardless of what you elitist pricks want to whine about

V

How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

48. Re: No subject May 3, 2004, 00:02 Kobalt

uhh try bloom? wtf are you talking about

47. Re: No subject May 2, 2004, 23:37 Halsy

Everyone shut up about the goddamned bloom already. You're all going to try it and love it or hate it regardless, so quit bitching about it untill after you've tried it.

"It's like "Bang the Drum Slowly". Except the drum's a chick.
- Family Guy

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

46. Re: No subject May 2, 2004, 23:32 Ray Singh

if by a ton you mean 7 others then yes, pretty great.

45. Re: No subject May 2, 2004, 20:28 mrBallistic

no - really. it's pretty great. i can't wait to play it with a ton of people on it.  

---

check my site, download my mp3s:
http://www.mrballistic.com/

44. Re: No subject May 2, 2004, 20:17 Kobalt

I remember see a post with the exact same words about a star wars galaxy thread...

43. Re: No subject May 2, 2004, 20:13 Fantaz

I've played Guild Wars and it really is going to be the best mmorpg. I've signed a NDA so I can't tell you much about it. Just spread the word!

42. Re: No subject May 2, 2004, 19:34 Ahiles

Im in Guild Wars Alfa and can say 3dgamers pics are old as shit at least 1-year-old engine.

New engine pics

http://www.guildwars.com/gallery/gwscreenshots/gallery3.html

THIS PICS ARE ALL FROM INGAME PLAY JUST HUD turned off.

Some other Pic

http://www.popcultureshock.com/reviews.php?id=2921
This comment was edited on May 2, 19:51.

41. Re: No subject May 2, 2004, 19:31 tiesto81

Well bloom toggling is good since it's a post rendering effect. I imagine they'd want the game to run smooth on anyone's machine (and it certainly does) so toggling it off will get you a big performance boost on lower end cards.

Not to mention some people just don't dig the bloom effect. The majority of folks I've spoken with do like it, but there are a select few that don't so it can't hurt to provide the option.

This comment was edited on May 2, 19:44.

40. No subject May 2, 2004, 19:27 THX

Yes, the game has a NEW graphic engine. Anything pre-december 2003 is on the old crappy graphic engine. All the new screenshots are how it actually is in-game.. without the bloom it still looks really good (and why would you take bloom off? )

THX
Guild Wars Chronicle
http://www.gwchronicle.com

THX
Guild Wars OGaming
http://guildwars.ogaming.com

39. Re: No subject May 2, 2004, 19:24 tiesto81

"No the key distinction is whether it has tons of instance outdoor areas or not. Lots of mmorpgs have instanced dungeons now but not forests."

It does have instanced outdoor areas that are pretty damn big. In fact, I've seen more instanced outdoor areas than dungeon ones to be honest.

"Yes and they dont come out and say it's not one either, pussy footing around the question to confuse people. It's either a mmorpg or not I dont care if it has some mmorpg features. Even now most people think it's just a reg mmorpg that yo dont have to pay because of misleading stuff like that."

It's hard to define what it is, I don't think they're really pussy footing around. I mean, sure it's not MMORPG in the sense that it's one big map with 1000's of people on it. But it's got the best components of MMORPG's to make it basically be an MMORPG. You have a server with tons of people on it (all the same server), towns where people interact, trade, socialize, NPC's that give quests, instanced areas where people can focus on doing quests on their own and pvp areas where more people can get together and duel out. Seems more than a typical single player game with an online component to me. Not to mention that this is run on their own servers not player's PC's.

38. Re: No subject May 2, 2004, 19:20 tiesto81

People please look at the date of images before you start commenting about 'no bloom' or 'god it looks horrible!'

This game a year ago had a different art style, no developed art, and focused more on getting the core fundamentals into it before focusing on art. Over the past year they have focused heavily on getting their art style down and it looks down right pretty.

Case in point - go to here:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guildwars/screenindex.html?page=4

This is gamespot's screen shot page. They show all the pictures during the development of the game. The images you are referencing with no bloom and bad looking art were done in 5/14/03. The newer art and images were shown on 1/07/04 -that's a full 6+ months later.

So there you go. You won't see any non bloomed ugly looking pics come out now because that was the old art style. Plain and simple.

37. Re: No subject May 2, 2004, 19:18 Furious

Yet, you dont tell him how he is uninformed.

*Sigh*

Did you read 'his' post? 'He' calls people 'idiots' for understanding why LARGE SCALE MMO's charge a subscription fee, 'he' puts blinders on (hence being uninformed) and uses GW as a reference point to why MMO's shouldn't charge a pay to play fee when GW is only a pimple on a large scale MMO's ass. GW != EQ. If your going to start calling people names, then at least be informed. Understand? Good.

*Pats Kobalts' head*

36. Re: No subject May 2, 2004, 19:17 Killian

Well RW... assuming what someone above stated is true:

"It is in the game and is not applied on the screenshots. It is an effect that can be toggled on/off and for the record the game does look beautiful even with it off."

One sight had the effect off, another had it on.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo