Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

EQ2 Beta Plans

This EverQuest II Webpage has word on sign-ups to beta test the upcoming MMORPG sequel (thanks Brian N. Galow), which they will begin accepting on May 3 at 1:00 p.m. EDT. The post outlines system requirements, but not how many testers will be involved, nor is there any word on how they will be selected.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Another MMO to blow me away Apr 29, 2004, 12:12 Rusty B

>Clearly a mind blowing gameplay innovation

Not a gameplay innovation but a mind blowing technical one for graphics. A game that renders 25 models on screen and uses the same artwork for all is clearly a lot less advanced than one where every player's creative expression can be symbolised visually by their personal choice of character design.

I have a feeling that is going to be very popular with people.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Another MMO to blow me away Apr 27, 2004, 07:20 Mr Gar

I havent seen another game with the ability to customise every tiny little detail of your character's appearance, from their nose size to their outfit,

Clearly a mind blowing gameplay innovation

14. Another MMO to blow me away Apr 27, 2004, 06:48 Rusty B

OK, Ive played games since days of ZX spectrum, but only recently got into MMO games when I purchased Star Wars Galaxies. Man that game has had its problems, it was still in beta state until they got some features in there (ie vehicles) that made playing the game a lot less frustrating.

But no game in the past even comes close to the addiction I have to SWG. Its technically miles beyond a lot of other MMO games. I havent seen another game with the ability to customise every tiny little detail of your character's appearance, from their nose size to their outfit, and these changes being visible to everyone else. Many other MMOs (including Lineage II and Planetside) just present the same boring and dull models.

This is the one area of gaming that hasnt been done to death yet, unlike FPS games, RTS, Sports etc... Its the one area where there is going to be some real gameplay innovation.

I have high hopes for this, WOW and especially the Space Expansion for galaxies... building a whole new space game on the RPG infrastructure thats already there... thats gonna be cool.

13. Brain dead gaming Apr 27, 2004, 04:14 Mr Gar

Just think how cool repeatedly bashing DirectX 9 rats via autoresolve combat is going to be.

12. Re: Uh oh... Apr 27, 2004, 01:57 Zetler

Other than the graphics, whats the difference between WoW and EQ2? Considering EQ 2's steep system requirement I think most people while likely flock to WoW instead.

11. Uh oh... Apr 27, 2004, 01:21 Hunterzyph

I swear to god, if I get sucked back into this game for another 3 years, someone is going to pay for it at the end...

10. Re: Beta Blues Apr 26, 2004, 23:26 Rebian

Plus you need a DX9 compatible card?

Almost all cards are dx9 compatible, just only the latest are dx9 capable, wonder if that's what they meant.

9. Beta Blues Apr 26, 2004, 22:47 Sixis

Remember, its not a real MMORPG unless the retail version is still beta...  

8. Re: Treadmill Apr 26, 2004, 20:51 Furious

I just can't face the whole treadmill again.

Yeah, I agree totally. I said the same thing as I ran around in the Lineage 2 world... I loved the PvP environment but going out and killing MOB after MOB just to level seems so old and so done after playing UO (well, skilled based is the best so far) for 1 1/2 years, EQ for 2, DAoC for 1 I just don't have the patience it requires to grind it out anymore.

But yeah, I'd be nice just to see the gfx of the game.

7. Re: Treadmill Apr 26, 2004, 20:30 Bronco

Plus you need a DX9 compatible card?

That will narrow the beta pool quite a bit huh?

Still not getting these MMORPG thingies despite trying several of them,

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

-TPFKAS2S

6. Re: Treadmill Apr 26, 2004, 19:48 Halsy

Whilst I don't think the game will be any good, you have to admit that everyone will want to check it out just for the visuals alone. It is a big step up graphically speaking over anything out there. It's still a pisser that Mythica got cancelled, that game would have owned.

PS: Whoa just noticed the sys reqs. This thing is going to be a pig. Plus you need a DX9 compatible card?

"It's like "Bang the Drum Slowly". Except the drum's a chick.
- Family Guy
This comment was edited on Apr 26, 19:50.

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

5. No subject Apr 26, 2004, 19:29 Nonicknameforme

Why should they try and simulate reality when they make so much cash being so simple?  
"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

4. Re: Treadmill Apr 26, 2004, 19:26 robfdb

I hear what you're saying, but who knows, maybe they have changed it for EQ2.. maybe..  
-------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience..

3. Treadmill Apr 26, 2004, 19:14 Vinquus

I just can't face the whole treadmill again.
Or pretending to be excited as my character waits gormlessly for five seconds to swing a sword straight through a goblin's head for "3 damage, but A Goblin parries!"
Why do they continue to write these games as a simulation of a 30-year-old pen-and-paper simulation of reality?
The first MMORPG that figures out how to model a virtual world as a true simulation will make a mint.
Not holding my breath though...

2. Re: Cool Apr 26, 2004, 19:13 robfdb

Yeh here's hoping. Hopefully having played SWG for 4 months will help increase my chances of getting accepted, but who knows how they will pick the first lot of players..

-------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience..

1. Cool Apr 26, 2004, 18:59 THX

Hope I get in

THX
Guild Wars Chronicle
http://www.gwchronicle.com
http://guildwars.ogaming.com
This comment was edited on Apr 26, 19:00.

THX
Guild Wars OGaming
http://guildwars.ogaming.com

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo