Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Pharaoh Productions Closes

The Pharaoh Productions Website (thanks Frans) offers a pop-up eulogy announcing the closure of the company. Here's part of what David Allen has to say about this move: "Unfortunately, I have not enjoyed the direction that the industry has taken. My passion is gone; and it has been for quite some time. As I witness the recent games that have come out, and are currently being released, it has quickly become apparent to me that the industry has lost its way; gone is innovation and vision - and to make matters worse, I do not see resolution to the current problems anytime soon. I've been a gamer all of my life, and the amount of copycat boring products that are being released seems to compound every year."

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. who knows.... Apr 27, 2004, 20:47 SouL_DragooN

why bother..
This comment was edited on Apr 27, 22:02.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Um.... Apr 27, 2004, 02:28 The Half Elf

But if you were an investor looking at his website and saw the NeverSummer Mod picture with a person named, "Moogygirl Cumspitter CheeseZapper" would you really want to invest in this company? Lets be a little realistic here.
http://www.pharaoh-productions.com/images/ns/ns_1.jpg

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 02:29.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

30. Re: No subject Apr 27, 2004, 02:12 Calabi-Yau

Perpetual energy/motion machines can't be done. Absolutely a violation of the second law of thermodynamics, tantamount to going backwards in time. There is no question on this, whatsoever. Anyone making such a claim is a fool or thinks you are a fool.

Ok?

29. Re: No subject Apr 27, 2004, 01:13 SCG

Obviously, David Allen couldn't get any publisher money to make an innovative game, so he's quitting instead of making another clone game. Geez people. David Allen isn't Bill Gates, he needs money to make his games.

28. Re: No subject Apr 27, 2004, 00:44 Sty

OH THANK YOU SUPERIOR GAMERS, FOR TELLING ME WHAT I SHOULD ENJOY! BECAUSE I'M INCAPABLE OF MAKING DECISIONS FOR MYSELF!

roflmao

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

27. Re: No subject Apr 26, 2004, 22:03 Xenos Overdrive

If he hates there is no innovation, then why dosen't he stop bitching and innovate, he's in the position to do so yet he's just bitching and giving up.

You, David Allen, are a jackass.

Oh right, innovate and don't give up when you're burned out and lost your vision. Too bad we don't have more of the Romero's of which you speak of in this industry.

26. Innovation? Apr 26, 2004, 21:32 Fausticle

I'm wondering. What did he do to innovate games?

25. Another company folds Apr 26, 2004, 20:13 Chance

So, how many people are out of a job because Mr. Allen is bored? I doubt it was a one man show...

24. No subject Apr 26, 2004, 19:46 Nonicknameforme

I dunno, maby if he had electromagnets and then pulsed a charge in a circular patern... say a star shape, start at the top and pulse the charge clockwise. Wouldn't that produce movement?

I dunno, I know nothing about this kinda stuff.

The downfall is probably that the magnets wear out and need to be replaced every so often, or something...

I could be speaking in latin about ballon animals for all that matters.

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

23. Re: Motor Apr 26, 2004, 19:39 Bossk

The motors use the power from the permanet magnets and a little power to keep it turning. So it is possible to use less electrical energy in than what is produced. But the total energy in still equals the total energy out. The reason why this sounds familar is because the previous inventers ideas were made to go away by the big oil companies. I doubt that this guy could have gotten patents in 47 countries if his motors were a hoax.
As far as the games goes what about Gathering of Developers, don't they help produce these inovative games that the big companines are afraid to risk their money on. Instead turning out clones of BF1942, which was full of bugs, who would buy another WWII game, boring in my opinion.

22. No subject Apr 26, 2004, 19:32 Nonicknameforme

If he hates there is no innovation, then why dosen't he stop bitching and innovate, he's in the position to do so yet he's just bitching and giving up.

You, David Allen, are a jackass.

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

21. Re: No subject Apr 26, 2004, 18:38 subgenius

No, you are incorrect.

In fact, the article states:

"With the help of magnetic propulsion, it is feasible to attach a generator to the motor and produce more electric power than was put into the device. Minato says that average efficiency on his motors is about 330 percent."

As soon as the dude makes that claim, I find all his other claims to be completely unreliable.

20. I wonder... Apr 26, 2004, 17:46 Parallax Abstraction

...how many of the people in here complaining about lack of innovation (and that's very true) bought Battlefield Vietnam, Max Payne 2, Unreal Tournament 2004 and the latest Command & Conquer expansion.

Parallax Abstraction
Technical Consultant, Hardcore Modern and Retro Gamer, Video Game Historian
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

19. Re: No subject Apr 26, 2004, 17:41 Grandmaster Demonlord Toadeater

The game industry sucks and always has, you've got to have something seriously wrong with you to want to be part of it. Publishers are full of **it and they constantly screw developers over.

But it's not really the publisher's fault, it's their money, what do you expect if you ask someone for $10m for an idea? They're going to want some kind of assurance that their $$$ isn't just going to disappear.

That's an oversimplification of the process, there are other issues involved, but basically it comes down to the publisher taking all the risk because it's their $$$.

On the other hand, if maybe we weren't bleeding $5b a month in Iraq, that money could have gone to developing games... or maybe even curing stupidity.

If David Allen has a genuine vision that he believes in, I wish him luck in finding a team and investors to help make it a reality.

18. Re: No subject Apr 26, 2004, 17:32 Moonbender

You mis-stated the facts; the motor does not "produce more energy" (whatever that is supposed to mean) than it consumes, which is impossible - and the inventor does not make that claim. In fact, he explicitly states the opposite. According to the article, the motors run on 20% less energy than conventional ones. Whether there are any significant drawbacks will remain to be seen.

17. Re: No subject Apr 26, 2004, 17:25 sponge

OH THANK YOU SUPERIOR GAMERS, FOR TELLING ME WHAT I SHOULD ENJOY! BECAUSE I'M INCAPABLE OF MAKING DECISIONS FOR MYSELF!

Boring copycat products is just trying to soften the blow of "I failed."

16. Re: No subject Apr 26, 2004, 16:10 subgenius

Well then all it took was one nut to approve the purchase!

Seriously though, the more I think about it, the more I recall that the first time I heard about one of these was on the Johnny Carson show about 20 years ago. The inventor was this farmer from the US and he was applying a very similar concept: motors with an unusual configuration of magnets. It just amuses me that both cases are so similar and include inventors of dubious backgrounds.

15. No subject Apr 26, 2004, 15:58 space captain

hey bobbie - the convience chain is using them IN THE STORES... not selling them

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

14. Re: No subject Apr 26, 2004, 15:56 subgenius

Well, simple calculation shows:

TASBEM = "There's a sucker born every minute"

TASBEM x 60min/hr x 24hr/day x 30day/month =

43,200 suckers born every month

This clearly demonstrates that this 'major convenience chain' will sell out of these units in about a month's time.

Sounds like a sure thing to me!

13. Re: No subject Apr 26, 2004, 15:53 Halsy

It isn't the gaming public's fault. Someone makes a product, it becomes a success, everyone else jumps on board and hopes to emulate similar success. That means it's going to take at least 2 or 3 years for the current fashionable cycle to finish and something else begin.

Is their less innovation and originality than in the past? Yes? But it was also much faster and cheaper to make games as well. A few guys sitting around in a garage somewhere could churn out a hit for peanuts. Now it takes a team and millions of bucks, and most titles aren't a financial success. You certainly can't blame the publishers and their shareholders from wanting to see a profit.

Last but not least, you have shitty overall economic conditions out there for the last 3 years so no one is really crazy about taking big risks right now either. This industry, like every other, it'll come around sooner or later.

"It's like "Bang the Drum Slowly". Except the drum's a chick.
- Family Guy

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo