Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Half-Life 2 Delays

Half Life 2 may not make 2004 VGpro.com (thanks Voodoo Extreme and Planet Half-Life and Frans) has a quote from Valve's Gabe Newell taken from Polygon magazine reflecting their willingness to delay the release of Half-Life 2 as long as required to create the gameplay experience they are envisioning. He goes so far as to express a willingness to delay the game's release another year and spend another barrelful of money on the game:

"We've already spent millions into this project, and we're willing to spend as much as we need to make this the best first person experience ever. If that means delaying the game to 2005, we'll do it without any hesitation. If it means sinking another $20 million into the project, we can do it. Rest assured, if we delay the game, it'll be only to blow your socks off even more when it finally releases."

Update: Though many have tried to interpret this as a further delay announcement, it has been pointed out that this quote was made in reference to the game's delay in September 2003.

View
250 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

130. bah... Apr 19, 2004, 15:58 Wowbagger_TIP

I wish Blue would post something about the rumor that Microsoft has purchased Bioware so that we could have something new to bitch about...

"God isn't interested in technology. He cares nothing for the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time, forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!"

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

129. Re: Welcome HL2 to Vaporware category! Apr 19, 2004, 15:38 speechrut

TF2 is officially vaporware. But HL2 has only missed a little over 6 months at this point: far LESS than most games are delayed after being first announced.

128. Welcome HL2 to Vaporware category! Apr 19, 2004, 15:36 KilrathiAce

Duke Nukem Forever is happy to welcome Half Life 2 and Team Fortress 2 into the category of Vaporware officially. Kthx.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

127. Re: Could someone please Apr 19, 2004, 15:29 nin

Sum this up for the ADHD crowd?

I just can't bring myself to read all of this....

Here we go, take notes:

VLAVE sux0rs!
This is old news!
Farcry is better!
No, it's not!
Goldeneye ruxxor my boxx0r!
Goldeneye sucks!
EVERYONE QUIT BITCHING!
Gabe is pregnant with my love child!
Use the dev tools, they're free
No they're not
Yes they are
No they're not
Yes they are...

That about covers it...

http://www.depechemode.com
This comment was edited on Apr 19, 15:29.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

126. Could someone please Apr 19, 2004, 15:17 Bronco

Sum this up for the ADHD crowd?

I just can't bring myself to read all of this....

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

-TPFKAS2S

125. Re: over reaction Apr 19, 2004, 15:14 Ratty

And its taken out of context like crazy to mean that its going to be delayed.
Yeah, this is one out of control rumor. Still, I admire Valve's attitude. Yeah they made one big screwup in an otherwise perfect record (keep your head down, shut up and just make your game), by that I mean the code theft, but I still admire the hell out of these guys. They're gonna do whatever it takes to make the perfect game.

What I *don't* like about this kind of attitude is when it comes to graphics only. This is what screwed up Daikatana and I suspect is one of the things going wrong with DNF. That is, developers who have a GREAT game but see or hear of another one with better, more cutting edge graphics, so they go back and retool their engine and assets to guarantee their game is the prettiest. And, yes, by the time they finish, yet another game is announced that has still better graphics. This is when developers can have *TOO* much money to burn.

I hope this isn't the mindset at Valve. They can take as much time as they need to make a great game. I'll still be waiting there for them when they're done. But I hope it's not just to make their graphics better than everybody else's.

124. Re: mod tools Apr 19, 2004, 15:10 speechrut

Mr. 112: Here's your link to the legal and free XSI for HL2, doubting Thomas:
http://www.filerush.com/games/half-life2/setup_xsi_3.5_mswin32.exe/

Also, here's a list of the limitations:
http://www.softimage.com/products/exp/hl2/resources/exp_detail.htm

Certainly they are not giving you full functionality, but even with those limits you can still create most of what you need for a HL2 mod right now in the way of weapons, small characters, objects, etc. Certianly enough to start learning how it all comes together.
This comment was edited on Apr 19, 15:18.

123. Re: mod tools Apr 19, 2004, 15:05 Cutedge

and correct me if im wrong here, but isn't hl2 just another generic fps?

You're incorrect.

As for Far Cry, I think the best moment was when I was on a hill and troops were running up to get me. One ducked behind a rock for cover and then promptly said "Where'd he go?" I was in stitches. Killer AI indeed.

It's also worth saying, (again, even though it's now part of the newspost) that this quote is from last september.

Aren't they putting out a basic "free" version of XSI that you can only use for hl2? I thought that's what I had heard.

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 15:06.

122. Re: mod tools Apr 19, 2004, 15:04 MindTrigger

Free? The HL2 addon is free for SoftImage XSI, but the software costs between $1,995 and $8,995 depending on how you want it. Not sounding like such a "deal" now is it?

If you know of an "absolutely free" version of this I can download (besides the obvious "fell off a truck" sources), then I would love to have a link.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

121. Re: No Coop Multiplayer, No Good Apr 19, 2004, 15:03 speechrut

Co-op multiplayer has already been tasked to a third party: Sven Co-op (who did the original co-op conversion for Half-life without official status or support). It's not coming out of the box, but it shouldn't take much longer than the release to come out, given how fast Co-op came out for HL1, and given that the people working on it have Valve's support this time around.

120. mod tools Apr 19, 2004, 14:56 Vek

And they... uh... ARE putting out the mod tools, slowly but surely.

You can already make Half-Life 2 models, using the most advanced modelling and animation tool, SoftImage XSI... for absolutely free... instead of its usual price tag of $10,000. Now there's a deal.

Not only that, but you can also use Hammer to create levels. Yes, they're still using hammer. Granted, its an upgraded version, but it won't be hard to convert maps in old-hammer to new.

So you can make all your models, and all your maps, right now. You can even see how the shaders will look in game, in realtime, in softimage.

The only thing you can't make right now is the code. But code isn't what a game is about. A game is 90% content, 10% code. So get cracking on that content. You already have a head start!

119. No Coop Multiplayer, No Good Apr 19, 2004, 14:56 unaloony

Well maybe they will implement a coop multiplayer mode, ala doom. If they need to work on it to improve it, it provides more time to save up for a system to run it.

118. Re: No subject Apr 19, 2004, 14:55 nin

EB games != publisher. Get that straight already guys.

What does it matter? Neither the dev, the publisher, OR retail have any idea when it'll ship.

http://www.depechemode.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

117. Re: No subject Apr 19, 2004, 14:54 MindTrigger

I totally agree with Tanto Edge that Valve should be putting out the mod tools ASAP so we can start some early work on mods and maps. I think I can live with the game delays if I have to, but it would be great to take this opportunity RIGHT NOW to get a head start on community development.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

116. over reaction Apr 19, 2004, 14:54 Vek

I kinda feel sorry for Gabe. he never said it was delayed, or that it would be, he was just saying that they aren't under pressure to release it right now if its not 100% perfect.

And its taken out of context like crazy to mean that its going to be delayed.

115. Re: No subject Apr 19, 2004, 14:53 speechrut

110, sure, but Valve wasn't really directly involved with making CS:CZ at any time. Their sole contribution was integrating it with Steam at the very end of the process. CS:CZ isn't terrible, it just isn't a new game: it's not worth buying if you already own HL. And it's way outdated engine-wise. It should have been billed as an expansion/re-release of CS and sold at 10$ for owners of CS and Half-life.

If anything, their lack of interest in making CS:CZ could well be because they are too busy with at least four other real in-house projects, HL2, TF2, CS2, DoD2, and if you want to count them, Steam and ongoing engine development.

114. Re: I smell Bullshit Apr 19, 2004, 14:51 MindTrigger

gerauchertes,

No shit man, you are my hero. Good post. lol

--

113. Re: No subject Apr 19, 2004, 14:50 Moog Operator

"EB Games says HL2 is set for a July release.

It's August now...got an email the other day from them about my pre-order..."

EB games != publisher. Get that straight already guys.

The companies will be very pleased.

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

112. Re: I smell Bullshit Apr 19, 2004, 14:49 MindTrigger

This is why I have waited to upgrade. I will upgrade right after I have the software in hand. I'm still only looking forward to 3 games. HL2, DOOM3 and STALKER. I'll just keep using this Geforce FX until something FINALLY releases. I don't think we will see shite-all until Xmas.
Rather I should say I don't EXPECT to see anything before Xmas.

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 14:59.

--

111. Real Moral Apr 19, 2004, 14:49 speechrut

108, the real moral of the story is that even with the poorly phased "Update," people like you still seem to think this is a recent quote. That's journalism for you!

250 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo