Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Half-Life 2 Delays

Half Life 2 may not make 2004 VGpro.com (thanks Voodoo Extreme and Planet Half-Life and Frans) has a quote from Valve's Gabe Newell taken from Polygon magazine reflecting their willingness to delay the release of Half-Life 2 as long as required to create the gameplay experience they are envisioning. He goes so far as to express a willingness to delay the game's release another year and spend another barrelful of money on the game:

"We've already spent millions into this project, and we're willing to spend as much as we need to make this the best first person experience ever. If that means delaying the game to 2005, we'll do it without any hesitation. If it means sinking another $20 million into the project, we can do it. Rest assured, if we delay the game, it'll be only to blow your socks off even more when it finally releases."

Update: Though many have tried to interpret this as a further delay announcement, it has been pointed out that this quote was made in reference to the game's delay in September 2003.

View
250 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

110. Re: No subject Apr 19, 2004, 14:48 Ihya

FarCry is good.
Half-Life 2 will be better.

It really is that simple folks, because #1, Valve has been at this longer. #2 FarCry is released, thus Half-Life 2 can only become better (again, it's Valve so I trust they'll do it right).

Four words for you. Counter Strike Condition Zero.

Valve are as capable of producing (or co-producing in this case) rubbish like anyone else.

-----------------
"Humour is a rubber sword - it allows you to make a point without drawing blood." - Mary Hirsch
----------------

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

109. I smell Bullshit Apr 19, 2004, 14:46 WebDemon

So I'm guessing from the sounds of this interview, that HL2 was probably no where near ready back in september and the "code theft" was the perfect excuse to buy all the time they needed. He's talking about sinking millions more into the game! You don't spend a year and millions of extra dollars "polishing" a game. I think they bit off WAAAAAY more than they could chew at E3 last year and now they're playing catch up ala 3dRealms. Everytime a new feature appears in the market, they have to somehow incorporate it to stay competitive at release time. I really want to love this game, but if it tanks, well.... Even Romero's fanboys eventually turned on him after Daikatana. Remember, lots of fanboys ran to out to buy the hot new overpriced video card to run this thing and now the next gen cards are here in the next month or so. All that money spent on upgrading a computer that will be way behind the curve by the time they release this thing. Now THAT's funny.

108. Moral of the Story Apr 19, 2004, 14:41 Hunterzyph

Gabe Newell shouldn't be allowed to talk to the press anymore.

107. Re: No subject Apr 19, 2004, 14:39 nin

EB Games says HL2 is set for a July release.

It's August now...got an email the other day from them about my pre-order...

http://www.depechemode.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

106. Re: hey fanboys Apr 19, 2004, 14:39 Ihya

Just going by my experience with the numerous demos released, I would say "No" I still do not understand what the hype is all about. The AI (at least in the demo) was incredibly stupid. Sure it was a beta release, but if that is all that I have to make my buying decision on, then I will pass and save my money for something else.

Okay, I'm playing it atm. The demo AI as correctly said had some nasty glitches where mercs would do lame things which made me wary as well (a merc getting stuck behind a wooden post and jogging on the spot for eternity for example). I must be 5 or 6 hours into the game and I have had no AI glitches whatsoever which is kinda amazing. The AI is very impressive. They flank you, fan out, take cover when fired upon, duck, respond to buddies being shot nearby, run to sound alarms/alert buddies etc. After many hours playing, I'm racking my brains to criticise it (some of the later level opponents look a bit silly perhaps).

Haven't played Multiplayer. Reviewers say it is pretty vanilla.

The single player experience is excellent. The game is as pretty as they come. The difficulty bar is good. There are some excellent firefights I've had. You won't find a better fps game out there atm (still to play painkiller though)...

-----------------
"Humour is a rubber sword - it allows you to make a point without drawing blood." - Mary Hirsch
----------------

105. I smell Bullshit Apr 19, 2004, 14:38 WebDemon

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 14:48.

104. GENERIC REPLY AND COMMENT Apr 19, 2004, 14:33 ^mortis^

love the comments...

(Please circle your response...do NOT underline.)

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am Happy/Angry with Valve after reading this message. They can take all the time they want/hurry the hell up to appease me and I'll be happy. I haven't played Far Cry but would like to comment on it based on numerous reviews I have read/based on my friend's friend's brother. I find it to be a very solid game/terribly lame, but i haven't played it yet, so this is based on opinion/my friend's friend's brother, who is in a professional Clan, and must be an authority.

Vale has broken my heart/killed my puppy/made baby jesus cry/made me more excited about the impending release of Halflife 2. Gabe, you are my hero/the devil/too uncool to be in my friend's friend's brother's Clan.

Also, I find myself to be an expert on games based on the number of titles I have personally shipped/playing lots of videogames which, you know, makes you a professional just like Thresh/not much of anything. If you need help getting the game out, please do not hesitate to write me/send me psychic commands/post on my friend's friend's brother's Clan site, cause they need the traffic and they are l337.

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 14:36.

103. Far Cry Apr 19, 2004, 14:31 speechrut

Far Cry was decent. It's worth buying if only because you get your money's worth. A decent SP experience (though it's sort of sad that we STILL have not evolved past the HL1 level of scripted sequences and events), and a pretty engine (though nothing really too big deal if you understand the capabilities of modern vid cards). The game is a good length, unlike the ripoff short games we've been seeing lately, and the map editor is really good for inexperienced people looking to get into map making, but who are confused and overwhelmed by the non-user friendly tools other games have. If you like FPS games, it's nothing revolutionary, but it's a good note in the genre, and should be supported because we want to encourage this sort of thing.

102. No subject Apr 19, 2004, 14:31 Tanto Edge

I don't usually post in opinion battles, but I will say this:

FarCry is good.
Half-Life 2 will be better.

It really is that simple folks, because #1, Valve has been at this longer. #2 FarCry is released, thus Half-Life 2 can only become better (again, it's Valve so I trust they'll do it right).

Frankly, I think all this mumbo jumbo about another year or another barrelfull of cash is all hype to make us want it that much more.

The equations add up:
Release the modelling tool a couple of months in advance, give people a chance to get proficient with it, then give them the SDK and watch the mods start piling.
EB Games says HL2 is set for a July release. Most assuredly bullshit, but who knows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

101. Re: Farcry Apr 19, 2004, 14:21 MrAsh

I own Farcry and have beaten it. I really don't see what the big deal is. It's pretty, and the A.I. on the outdoor levels is good, but that's about it. Oh, and you can see really far. Beyond that it's solid, but nothing I'd call ground breaking, minus draw distance.

100. Re: Farcry Apr 19, 2004, 14:16 Muscular Beaver

All this comparison to Farcry.. I think I'm the only one who doesn't like it.

I was about to post a similar comment but thought the farcry fanboys would flame me to death

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

99. No subject Apr 19, 2004, 14:14 SamBeckett

"the best first person experience ever"

FarCry. Half-Life 2 loses.

valve is going to waste a lot of money.

http://profile.gamersglue.com/SamBeckett

http://www.lazygirls.info

98. Re: Just security changes I thought. Apr 19, 2004, 14:13 nin

If I were your daddy I would have poured gasoline on your stupid ass then set it on fire.

No need, dude. If you were my daddy, I would have killed myself years ago.

97. Bah. Apr 19, 2004, 14:13 Mashiki Amiketo

As long as I get my new Vampire game this fall, then I'll be happy. HL2 I can wait for, I didn't enjoy the first one at all...it was pretty tho, but I found something lacking in it.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

96. Re: hey fanboys Apr 19, 2004, 14:12 Gandhi

Is Far Cry worth buying? How is the online play?

Warning to the FarCry fanbois! What I have written below is just my opinion. Don't get your collective panties in a knot over one anonymous poster's opinion.

Just going by my experience with the numerous demos released, I would say "No" I still do not understand what the hype is all about. The AI (at least in the demo) was incredibly stupid. Sure it was a beta release, but if that is all that I have to make my buying decision on, then I will pass and save my money for something else.

Also, the multiplayer consists of standard deathmatch, CTf and assault type mode where snipers dominate. This is based on the few game reviews I have read of the game. Unless there is some amazing mod in the works, I do not see FarCry having a long shelf life in multiplayer.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

95. Re: hey fanboys Apr 19, 2004, 14:09 Wowbagger_TIP

What was so special about Golden-Eye anyways?

To tell you the truth, I really don't know. I played it and beat it shortly after it was released. I'm not sure exactly why it felt like it played better than other console FPS games, but it did. The level designs were nice, and the game seemed to flow well. I think the controls were as good as possible for a console. It still had to do some auto-aiming for you, but that's always the case on consoles. Thumb-knobbies just don't have the combination of speed and precision that you get with a mouse, so they have to either auto-aim for you, or drastically slow down the enemy's reaction times. After playing other FPS games, including Perfect Dark (which they somehow managed to screw up), Golden-Eye remains the only console FPS that has ever reached the "comfortably playable" mark for me.

"God isn't interested in technology. He cares nothing for the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time, forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!"

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

94. Re: Just security changes I thought. Apr 19, 2004, 14:07 sinner's saint

Fanboys are faggots. Nuff said.

And for all you little boohoo children crying cause this game isn't coming out according to your own schedule: grow up.

Your parents must have taught you a long time ago that complaining about something will fix it. If I were your daddy I would have poured gasoline on your stupid ass then set it on fire.

93. Re: This is funny Apr 19, 2004, 14:07 gerauchertes

The delay?...Put your copy of the HL2 movie in the avi player and watch it. Now put in the copy of the Far Cry avi and watch it...HL2 looks like quake in comparison to Far Cry.

Just watch the headcrabbed zombie on the pier get smacked with the crowbar. The green blood spurts look like shit: in fact, they're oldschool sprites lifted directly from HL. And like virtually any non-playable demo dropped at E3, it was heavily scripted. It's not finished. It's a preview.

It's a demo video, for fuck's sake, from a version several months (and now nearly a year -- and however longer) before gold. It's primarily meant for investors and developers and marketers and publishers, not every Joe Gamer who tracks computer games like Entertainment Tonight obsesses over Jennifer Lopez' shoes and boyfriends. Everyone here gets excited over videos that flaunt the next generation of entertainment or the continuation of an unfinished series, but where do some people get this sense of entitlement to a luxury item that they just can't have right fucking now?

Valve definitely jumped the gun and may end up having shot itself in the foot with too many fanfags popping their puny wads too early. But I'd like to see what Far Cry looked like at the time those HL2 vids were made. Would you mind playing the same HL2 demoed in those "ancient" videos, even without a year's worth of improvement? I'd take it either way.

Valve has yet to let me down with a finished product, so -- assuming it doesn't just vaporize -- I'll probably pick up HL2 the first time I happen to pass by it on the shelf, without all the caution and sleuthing I habitually do now before buying something from, say, EA. But I'm not going to sit around stroking my fucking cock until it shows up.

92. Re: hey fanboys Apr 19, 2004, 14:05 nin

What was so special about Golden-Eye anyways?

It was more fun than Halo?

91. Goldeneye Apr 19, 2004, 14:05 Fausticle

Nothing was special about goldeneye.. just abunch of poor folks could DM with out buying a real gaming machine.

250 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo