Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Perimeter Demo

A demo is now available for Perimeter, allowing the chance to check out KD-Labs' upcoming terraforming RTS game. The demo is a 179 MB download, released via FilePlanet (subscription required), and mirrored on 3D Gamers, Boomtown (registration required), Filerush (torrent), Gamer's Hell, Pixelrage.ro, Tiscali Games, and Worthplaying.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: No subject Apr 20, 2004, 00:30 m00t

Interesting concept. PATHETIC implementation.

The AI is so weak that they have to build it up completely to the maximum tech level to compete with a newbie player.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: No subject Apr 19, 2004, 00:19 [AIX]Hood

Then you're using a BT site that isn't putting enough bandwith into their seeds. Try grabbing perimeter from filerush and see what you get.

18. Re: No subject Apr 19, 2004, 00:06 ZzeusS

I have a FP account and it's worth every penny, when they have something you want. Nothing else out there can saturate my downlink, except for them. I get 300+kB/sec... or around 3mbit. And don't even whisper the word bittorrent, I will smite you mightily.. bt you get lucky if after 2 hours of uploading halfway through you get half your downlink speed back.

17. No subject Apr 19, 2004, 00:02 RazorWynd

Behold... the Planet of Vaginas!!!

ummm yea ok...wtf are those things

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)

16. No subject Apr 18, 2004, 22:23 VultureMAN

Get the torrent DL , installed, played a bit and DELETED it before my brain rotted.

RTS needs a rest, or an AI.

15. Re: Innovation? Apr 18, 2004, 20:38 Hump

http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/screen_detail.asp?id=1406&img=bkgc.jpg

fuggin' thief!! You stole that post idea from Shacknews!! (my post BTW)

I'll be keeping on eye on you Bearcub....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
New sig under construction.
This comment was edited on Apr 18, 20:39.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

14. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 20:07 Krovven

You probably just need to scale back your time spent with the genre.

Considering the only RTS games I have played in the last 3 years are Warcraft 3 and Homeworld 2, I dont think I need to scale it back. I didnt finish either game, cus it was the same old crap for War3...and Homeworld 2 just wasnt as good as the original.

Seems every month there is a handfull of new RTS games being released, that nobody plays. I guess if people keep buying, they will keep making them.

13. Innovation? Apr 18, 2004, 19:40 Debaser

http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/screen_detail.asp?id=1406&img=bkgc.jpg

12. No subject Apr 18, 2004, 19:38 Silicon Avatar

The RTS genre doesn't really need to "disappear for 5 years or so". You probably just need to scale back your time spent with the genre.

I pick up a new RTS game once every 3 or 4 years or so and am usually pleased with what I get. If I got a new one every year then yeah, it would be stale.

11. Re: eh... Apr 18, 2004, 19:23 Krovven

Just my opinion...but the whole RTS genre needs to disappear for 5 years or so then come back. The market is very saturated with RTS games.

I've also also found that RTS games haven't gotten better over the years, they just got far more complicated, requiring alot more micro management (which I hate). There was a time, back in the Starcraft/Red Alert era where I couldnt wait for the next best RTS game to be released.

The standard RTS genre seemed to reach a pinnacle with Age of Empires, and Homeworld is really the only innovative RTS game in the last few years...and even Homeworld 2 failed to live up to expectations of enhancing that innovation.

Again, just my opinion.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 19:24.

10. eh... Apr 18, 2004, 19:08 The Half Elf

with Warzone 2010 you made units ala lego style, here you either build officers or soldiers and they become specialized units problem is I couldn't get just multiple unit types in one "squad".

And reguardless of everyone's hatred of Fileplanet I do find it to be worth the 7 bucks a month. Equivlant of going to a movie or going out and having a few beers.

Not a bad engine but just kinda odd game, have to admit it's original enough but I couldn't really "get into" it.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 19:12.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: meh Apr 18, 2004, 19:04 Bucky

Pff...I got ya beat ZzeusS, with 3 bad files. I'm starting to get really sick of hunting around for servers that aren't full only to have horrible speeds or dead downloads. I'm really starting to consider subscribing to Fileplanet (Evil Empire jokes aside).

8. Re: meh Apr 18, 2004, 18:51 ZzeusS

Warzone 2100 or whatever it was called did that.. with the changeable units. It worked pretty well, I liked it.

This.. my two downloads stalled out halfway through and the file closed instead of aborting.. so I had 2 bad files. Someone doesn't know how to run an ftp server, for the very first thing, let alone the game.

7. meh Apr 18, 2004, 18:33 tunis5000

wow I got sick of this game in less than 5 minutes...  
-----------------------------------------------
I like pie.

6. No subject Apr 18, 2004, 18:12 Nexus

Haven't tried the demo, but I remain utterly sceptical about the concept of being able to disassemble and reassemble your units into whatever particular type of unit most suits the situation. As far as I can see, you either end up with completely bland units, or you end up with a sitution where you can almost continuously play off whatever ability you need most. I've always appreciated that in most RTS games, people make investments that they are then stuck with - for me, that's a tactical choice, not something to be removed.

5. Re: What? Apr 18, 2004, 17:55 The Half Elf

Yeah biggest gripes were the menu system menu box up, hit back button, menu box dissapears, everything kinda moves around and the menu box comes back up, annoying as all hell. Also the tutorial is very lack luster as it's short and doesn't really give you a good overall tutorial and understanding of the game. When your done with it, the game puts you on a map with alot of things to play with but no idea how to play with them cause they tutorial didn't cover them. Interesting concept but not for me, uninstalled already.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Unimpressed. Apr 18, 2004, 15:08 Quboid

The menus are nasty, with a distracting background and unnecessarily slow changing (why do devs do this?! I don't want pretty menu changes, I want the next menu - DVDs are the worst in this respect). In game it's OK looking but crashes before I can do anything.

Quboid

- Quboid

3. Well... Apr 18, 2004, 14:53 Wazootyman

Sounds very unique:
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/perimeter/506872p1.html?fromint=1
Definately worth a try.

2. No subject Apr 18, 2004, 14:06 RazorWynd

screenies dont look that great

never know tho...

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)

1. So? Apr 18, 2004, 14:03 THX

So is this game any good? Or is it a pass?

THX
Guild Wars Chronicle
http://www.gwchronicle.com

THX
Guild Wars OGaming
http://guildwars.ogaming.com

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo