Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

America's Army SitRep

The America's Army Community Rally Point has a new SitRep on the state of the next update to the U.S. Army's shooter (thanks Frans), now officially dubbed: "America's Army: Special Forces (Downrange)." The update has details on the new Arctic map, as well as the addition of sun flares to the game engine.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Downrange. Uh huh. Apr 18, 2004, 23:53 Shadowcat

> now officially dubbed: "America's Army: Special Forces (Downrange).

So not only does "(Downrange)" look and sound dumb, I had to look in an online American dictionary to find what that little bit of military jargon even meant.
In a direction away from the launch site and along the flight line of a missile test range: landed a thousand miles downrange; the downrange target area.
My paper dictionary, like myself, had never heard of it. Why the heck would they put it in the title? Are they planning a second America's Army product called "Special Forces (Uprange)" where you get to play as people who aren't even near the launch site, let alone the target area?

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 23:56.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 17:10 hordak

No, they're introducing sun worshippers ("idolators" to all True Christians) which you get to stomp out in the name of God. Then you take their gold and rape their women.

This game is about teaching values, remember?

11. No subject Apr 18, 2004, 10:56 Ghost

Basically what the sun flare is trying to do is bring in a new level of strategy, instead of taking cover you can now get on a high posistion with your back to the sun. Then when somone tries to look up to shoot at you all they see is a really bright sun. I dont see it as a big deal but im sure more serious players will.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 10:57.

10. Re: RE Apr 18, 2004, 03:43 Jensen

The lens flare is trying to emulate a high dynamic range effect.
If you are in a dark room, and look outside, the light will seem very bright for a moment.
If an enemy is almost in front of your view of the sun, it will be hard to see him, of course (unless you are wearing sunglasses)
This will probably work better in dx9 games with true high dynamic range that will bloom all very bright areas.

In AA, the sun flare will be more about gameplay than eye candy

9. Re: RE Apr 18, 2004, 00:48 werbwerb

I just started playing it a bit again after a long break. I just wish I had a better system so I could turn the graphics options up and make it prettier.  
----
Some people risk to employ me...
Some people live to destroy me...
...Either way, they die.

8. RE Apr 17, 2004, 22:28 THX

I used to play this, but stopped for some reason. I've reading up on the updates and it has me interested again. Hopefully, I'm still good at it =)

THX
Guild Wars Chronicle
http://www.gwchronicle.com

THX
Guild Wars OGaming
http://guildwars.ogaming.com

7. No subject Apr 17, 2004, 18:18 RazorWynd

can't wait till they put in the new class
the "check point guard"

the fun with this class comes when a car you're searching explodes
the car bombs will be totally random for added fun factor

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)

6. Re: No subject Apr 17, 2004, 17:45 [AIX]Hood

No, you're thinking of another game, Grand Theft Auto.

5. Re: No subject Apr 17, 2004, 17:21 rist3903

Can you get taken prisoner and tortured yet?

4. Re: No subject Apr 17, 2004, 17:10 cia

Will they incorporate vehicles into this update, so that you can drag civilians out of them and beat them to death with US army-issued truncheons. It would be nice to have vehicles in the game, and civilians that you can try to avoid killing but don't really care if they get mutilated.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,9282015,00.html

3. No subject Apr 17, 2004, 16:13 RazorWynd

yep, prolly lens flares

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)

2. "Sun flares?" Apr 17, 2004, 15:39 GinRummy

You mean lens flares, like the special effect? Or is it actually simulating solar flares by having your communications devices get full of static and disconnect? Probably the former, but interesting if not.

1. Your Mission Apr 17, 2004, 15:38 Dr_Dissent

I'm hearing some good things about this update. Your primary mission will be to function as Army's new head of recruitment and adolescent relations. Your goal will be to find new ways to convince the youth of America that the military's primary function is to ensure freedom of the American people rather than protect and expand the global power and presence of the military-petroleum complex. To accomplish this goal, you will have to find a way to show them that killing is fun and safe and in the interest of "freedom". Don't worry, you have plenty of American tax dollars at your disposal. Good luck, soldier!

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo