Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

On Team Fortress 2

Missing in Action: The Lost Games of the PC, Part 3 on IGN tries to ascertain the true status of several game projects that haven't been heard from in a while, including Loose Cannon (TBD), Pantheon (RIP), Sovereign (RIP), and Imperium Galactica III / Galaxy Andromeda / Nexus: The Jupiter Incident (still breathing). Along the way, they talk with Valve's Doug Lombardi, who fills us in on the status of TeamFortress 2, the planned reworking of the popular modification (to correct a point in the article, the original T.F. was for Quake) that you may have heard discussed by your grandparents:

Here's the word from Valve's Doug Lombardi: "Some time after we announced Team Fortress 2, which was then being created on the HL1 tech, the decision was made to move the project to the Source Engine, the same engine used for HL2. The project is still in development here at Valve and we will be announcing more info after HL2 ships."

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

59. No subject Apr 18, 2004, 13:01 subx

A copy of the qw TF site with its news of the time still exists...

http://www.planetfortress.com/teamfortress/oldnews.html

They should really bring back engineer teleporters and the ability to move with your minigun spun up... I'm not living in the past, much

I still remember the profound disappointment when TFC finally came out, it seemed like an experiment into how not to capture any of the nuances that make a a game good.

The Speedball Arena site that appeared seems to have died but the Bitmap's own website still has a page on it, although it hasn't been updated for a very long time...

http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/our-games/future/speedball-arena/index.htm

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 11:32 Chip

Dagok, no way. There is no way I would poke fun at someone who went way above and beyond digging these up. I know how much of a royal pain it can be. Trust me.

---

(my Nexus fan site. Check it out)
http://home.earthlink.net/~cgh5541/

57. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 11:30 Chip

After watching IG3/GA.. yeah at times it does get a little on the personal side. Sorry about that. Too tired I should have waited till I got home. I just saw other comments on the other games (forgot to check the end of the thread for subject heading) I thought I would throw my own 2 cents in.

TF2 I use to follow all the news but it kind slipped for me. I saw it played on TechTV a little over a year ago for Leo. They blew holes in walls to make short cuts and even knocked down a pillar to create a bridge. They showed it online for maybe 2 or 3 minutes.

I had heard at one time it was to be included (I forget where.) As has been noted most the link are so old they are dead. Now it will not be included *$50 more bucks I guess* I just hope I dont have to forced to use steam.

I did not know that about Quake version 1st.

---

56. No subject Apr 18, 2004, 10:15 THX

I think, even though it is late, the game will still be good. They now have the technology to do things they could not before. Knowing valve, it won't be a rehash of games like BF1942, but rather something different.

THX
Guild Wars Chronicle
http://www.gwchronicle.com

THX
Guild Wars OGaming
http://guildwars.ogaming.com

55. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 08:22 Krovven

Ahh my bad. Was thinking about TF, forgot about all the other games mentioned in the IGN article (which I havent read).

I just assumed he was poking fun at the time I spent doing the research and digging up old news stories.

54. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 08:17 Anavrin

Alright Dagok, you're right. I mixed up my timelines, especially the part about TF2 being announced before HL's release, and it being included with HL, which I'm still very much shocked at hearing. That wasn't a very realistic goal. Man, was it really that long ago??

Eh, I don't think Chips is trying to be a troll, despite the personal politics in his post. I tend to agree that this particular IGN article isn't terribly up to date. You can't refute the Nexus point. Then again, I thought TF2 was never to be included with HL, but released as an add-on.

The one thing I will say.. I hope TF2 will feel like a sequel to TF for Quake(World). TFC just wasn't... TF. Neither is Unreal Fortress, which I'll admit is pretty good but lacking the feeling, nor Q3Fortress.

There just was something about not being able to crouch, the fast and outrageous movement, the gritty feel of the models, and the moody atmosphere that is lacking in the more colourful and recent reincarnations of the game. Even MegaTF had that feel.

53. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 06:43 Chip

Well excuse me for trying to add to the thread. After all earlier in the thread the other games in the article had been mentioned. Just because this is my 1st post does not make me a troll. it is on topic of the IGN article as a whole.

In reference to TFC2, does anyone remember it being shown about a year ago on TechTV?

---

52. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 06:36 Krovven

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 08:19.

51. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 06:22 Chip

Man, they are way the frell off on this. This history is wrong and the game play listed is wrong. It was suppose to be a Capital Ship Combat game but cdv tried to cram the 4X gameplay down the devs throat. It was canceled in June, not August. HDI picked up the game (www.nexusthegame.com) and it looking just as sweet and being made the way it was intended.
cdv was and is a crap company. They even screwed with breed after the devs were done and changed the textures and scripting. Even going so far as to use an earlier build of the game. cdv blows doggie chunks.
The IGN article is shoddy at best. Nothing was checked with any certanty. Bad reporting, bad article.

---

50. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 06:17 Krovven

U SELF THREADIN': GOOD.

Was just posting the history as I found it. Wasnt sure when the info would dry up cus there are alot of dead news links.

Enjoy the history.

49. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 06:16 Krovven

February 1st, 1999 - TFC delayed

We had an intensive playtest this weekend and it shows we have some more balancing to do before we release Team Fortress Classic. Development on TFC and the SDK are coming along nicely. Look for more news as we get closer to releasing both the SDK and TFC, which should happen in the coming weeks.
Harry Teasley
Valve Software

March 9th, 1999 - TFC announced to be shown at CPL

Kirkland, WA - March 9, 1999 -- Valve and Sierra today announced that Team Fortress Classic preview tournaments will be held at the Extreme Annihilation gaming event in Dallas, Texas, March 12-14.

March 15th, 1999 - Valve ask for public LAN party support to help preview and launch TFC.

So the schedule is:

- March 19th, TFC release to game sites for previews
- Week of March 22nd, TFC release candidate for LAN parties
- Week of March 22nd, TFC release candidate for Primary Server Program
- March 26th, current planned general release date via Half-Life's
autoupdate or download from game sites

March 25th, 1999 - TFC delayed again.

- The release of Team Fortress Classic (which is part of our Half-Life v. 1.0.0.9 update) to the general public, originally scheduled for tomorrow (Friday, Mar. 26), has been delayed a week (to Friday, Apr. 2) so that we can fix a few bugs and have time to test the fixes.

- The LAN Party release, originally scheduled for Wednesday of this week, should go out tomorrow afternoon (Friday, Mar. 26).

April 2nd comes and goes with no news (that i could find) and TFC misses its release date again. news release April 6th that it will be released on April 7th.

And on April 7th, 1999

1.0.0.9 Patch with TFC Released

As for the rest of the history on Team Fortress 2 retail stand alone...really doesn't matter cus it never happened.

48. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 06:06 NotOneOfUs

U SELF THREADIN': GOOD.

47. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 05:59 Krovven

January 13th, 1999

VALVE AND SIERRA STUDIOS ANNOUNCE IMMEDIATE AVAILABILITY OF HALF-LIFE UPDATE
Team Fortress Classic to be released for Half-Life at the end of January

Kirkland, WA. - Valve L.L.C. and Sierra Studios announced the immediate availability of an update for its award winning game, Half-Life. The update includes new multiplayer maps, player models, a new team-play mode, and significant improvements in Internet bandwidth utilization. "We are very committed to supporting the Half-Life multiplayer community, and will continue to invest in further enhancing this aspect of our technology and gameplay," said Gabe Newell, Valve's Managing Director.

"We've come up with a number of techniques for encoding the multiplayer datastream that significantly improve overall latency on lower speed connections," said Yahn Bernier, senior development engineer at Valve. "Most players will see a dramatic improvement in the smoothness of gameplay."

The maps included with the update are optimized for the new team play mode. Frenzy is best for small groups of players, especially those with lower-end PCs. Crossfire is for much larger groups of players and allows a team to call in air strikes that will destroy anyone who hasn't been able to reach a protective bunker in time.

This update is available via the auto-update facility built into Half-Life, as well as via download over the Internet from game sites, Half-Life fan sites, and from Sierra Studios.

Valve also announced that they will be releasing Team Fortress Classic as a free add-on for Half-Life. Team Fortress Classic is a direct port of the original Team Fortress developed for id Software's Quake. Its innovative gameplay, character classes, and mission variety contributed to its enormous popularity, with over 500,000 downloads of the add-on from a single FTP site.

Team Fortress Classic will be available for free downloading by the end of January, and will include two entirely new maps from David Sawyer and Matt Armstrong, the developers of the acclaimed Canal Zone map.

"We wanted to introduce Team Fortress gameplay to the Half-Life community and give current Team Fortress players a glimpse of some of the new technology we'll be using in Team Fortress 2," said Robin Walker, Lead Designer for Team Fortress 2. "We were able to take the original Team Fortress add-on for Quake and port it to Half-Life as a way of testing the Half-Life software development kit. Team Fortress Classic players can now enjoy Half-Life's superior graphics and audio, ease of use, and advanced animation technology while we focus on making Team Fortress 2 the best multiplayer game possible."

"This is a great idea!" said Dave Carter (a.k.a. Bundy), a member of one of the Internet's leading Team Fortress Clans, and author of a Team Fortress community commentary web page. "It's very exciting to those of us who've been playing Quake-based Team Fortress, because we can finally play Team Fortress with viewable weapon models, decals, D3D acceleration, and all the other great Half-Life engine functionality. Half-Life players who haven't yet experienced Team Fortress will find it much easier to get into, and once they play it they'll understand why it's one of the most popular multiplayer games on the Internet."

Team Fortress 2 is a much more advanced, stand-alone multiplayer game built on top of the Half-Life technology. It will be shipped by Valve and Sierra Studios later this year.

Also available in late January will be the Half-Life software development kit. With over 50 Half-Life add-ons already announced, interest in the software development kit is very high within the Internet gaming community. "We have had several of the development teams here to our offices in Washington to try out early versions of the development kit," said Valve's Harry Teasley, "and it's very exciting to see just how far both single-player and multiplayer products are building on the Half-Life technology."

Valve also said that development on the Linux version of the Half-Life dedicated server was going well. "Zoid should have something for people to start beta testing shortly, with general availability within a few weeks," said Mike Harrington, Valve's Director of Development. "The Linux dedicated server will get rolled into that Half-Life Primary Server Program." The Primary Server Program is a free download of all of the components necessary to host Half-Life or Team Fortress Classic servers, and is available from WON.Net.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 06:00.

46. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 05:54 Krovven

I can't find a proper news story to quote because they all goto dead links, but December 18th, 1998 seems to be the first day of news about TF2 being made a stand alone project. The following days/weeks are alot of stories on how people are miffed and Robin Walker defending the decision.

Dec 21st, 1998
2. The news has not been well-received by everyone. Is there a chance the decision will be reversed if the reaction is strong enough?

Robin:No. We are a bit taken aback by the the people who don't like the decision. The bottom line is that shipping TF2 as a standalone game means it will be a much better game than it could have been as an add-on.

45. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 05:46 Krovven

SIERRA STUDIOS ANNOUNCES
HALF-LIFE HAS GONE GOLD!

Bellevue, WA (November 10, 1998) - Sierra Studios announced today that Half-Life, one of the most anticipated games for the holiday season, has gone gold and will be in stores before Thanksgiving weekend.

Mmmm, this was a good day.

44. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 05:41 Krovven

Also from http://www.contaminated.net/tf/tf9.htm

"We'd like to be released two to three weeks after Half-Life," Robin Says. "We want it out there as soon as possible. We hope that we'll be ready when Half-life ships, and there's a very small chance that it'll be in the Half-Life box. If not, it'll be an add-on -- an expansion pack two or three weeks afterwards."

My memory is even better than I thought

43. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 05:39 Krovven

From http://www.contaminated.net/tf/tf1.htm

Rumors leaked for months, but the announcement was finally made public at E3: TeamFortress II would be an official Half-life add-on pack, released as early as a couple of weeks after Half-Life

42. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 05:35 Krovven

Original Press Release.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, May 28, 1998

VALVE L.L.C. ACQUIRES TF SOFTWARE PTY. LTD.;
SIERRA STUDIOS TO PUBLISH TEAM FORTRESS 2 AS
HALF-LIFE EXPANSION PACK

E3, Atlanta, GA. - Valve L.L.C., developer of the eagerly anticipated Half-Life, announced today the acquisition of TF Software Pty. Ltd., Australian developer of Team Fortress, one of the most popular multiplayer games on the Internet.

Team Fortress (TF) is a first person action game with strong team oriented play and strategic elements. Each member of a team takes on a specific class, such as scout, sniper, or engineer, in competition with other teams. The player's class determines his or her appearance, tools or weapons, and skills. Close coordination with other team members is the key to success in the game; it is also the source of the game's long-standing popularity. The original Team Fortress, developed as an extension to id Software's Quake, was released in August 1996. Today, approximately 40% of current Quake servers are dedicated to Team Fortress.

The original Team Fortress was developed as an extension to id Software's Quake. Approximately 40% of the current Quake servers are dedicated to Team Fortress.

"When we began development of Team Fortress 2 our goal was to build the best team-based action game yet," said Team Fortress's Managing Director, Ian Caughley. "Most multiplayer action games are just collections of individuals killing each other, but with TF 2, the emphasis is as much on team play and strategy as it is on shooting."

"We looked at all of the different game platforms we could host TF 2 on," added Robin Walker, lead designer of TF 2. "Half-Life's advanced technology, as well as its flexibility for extensions, with features like client-side DLL support and add-on controllable HUD's (Heads Up Display), meant we could do things with Team Fortress 2 that wouldn't be possible on any other system."

"This is the best thing that could have happened for Team Fortress and the fans of the game who have been waiting for TF 2," said John Cook, lead developer of Team Fortress. "The resources we now have at our disposal ensure the game will have functionality and breadth of support that it wouldn't have had if we had continued on our own."

Sierra Studios and Valve also announced that Team Fortress 2 will be shipping as a Half-Life expansion pack later this year. "Half-Life is clearly perceived in both the user and press communities as the best single-player action game for 1998. Team Fortress is one of the most popular games being played on the Internet. Building TF 2 on top of Half-Life's will result in a multiplayer experience of much greater depth and broader appeal than anything currently available," said Scott Lynch, Senior Vice President of Sierra Studios.

41. TF2 release Apr 18, 2004, 05:34 tmn

The project is still in development here at Valve and we will be announcing more info after HL2 ships.

So, we may be playing it in 2006 if we're lucky.

40. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 05:20 Krovven

TeamFortress Software was bought by Valve after HalfLife was released, so they never were going to include TF2 as a game in HL. OK, they may have been bought earlier, but they announced the acquisition after HL was available.

Next, they announced TF2 is moved to HL's engine, as a stand alone release. No screenshots of it were given for a long time.

Then, they release TFC, saying it was both a promotional item for TF2, and TFS practice mod to prep it for TF2.

A couple of E3 (2001?) screenshots and a game trailer or two got out.

> Any ways the line up of engines is: 1. HL1 2. Q3 3. Source

Nologic, just where did you get your information? Quake3?!

Dunno where you are getting your info from, but you are wrong.

First, Valve was working with the TF dev team a good 6 months (or earlier) before the HL retail release and had made announcements about TF being exclusive to Half Life very early on.

2nd, There were several interviews or stories back in mid '98 stating that TF2 was going to be packaged with HL on the CD or in the very least released as a free download within weeks of the HL retail release.

3rd, it was then announced (before HL release) that TF2 was delayed several months and was still going to be a free download early in in '99.

4th, Half Life was released Oct/Nov '98.

5th, TFC was announced late winter (early Feb 99 or so) as being released in a few weeks because TF2 was now being developed as a full retail stand alone game. TFC was released to keep their promise about the free Team Fortress, which was used as a marketing strategy for many months.

6th, TFC didnt make its original release date. But eventually was released April or May '99.

Over the next 2 years snippets of info about TF2 would be released, and it missed about half a dozen release dates, until they stopped releasing any info about the game at all.

I'm gonna see what new stories I can dig up concerning the release release of TF and Half Life.

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo