Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy: Painkiller

DreamCatcher announces that Painkiller has shipped in North America (thanks Frans), and should be now available:

DreamCatcher Games’ Painkiller Now Available In Stores
Frantic, Frenzied FPS Action for Windows®

Toronto, April 12, 2004. DreamCatcher Games today announced that Painkiller, one of the most anticipated Windows® shooters of 2004, is now available at major retailers across North America.

Painkiller puts gamers in the role of Daniel Garner, an unfortunate victim of a fatal car accident now trapped in a dark and sinister world somewhere between Heaven and Hell. To find his salvation, Garner must fight through more than 50 species of Hell’s wildest incarnations in an attempt to stop an imminent Unholy War.

This first-person horror shooter features truly stunning graphics, an amazingly powerful engine and some of the nastiest level bosses ever seen. Graphically, Painkiller is unmatched, showing off new levels of texture quality and the latest lighting and shadowing techniques. The game utilizes the impressive Havok 2.0 engine, achieving new heights of physics-based gameplay.

Painkiller serves up more than 20 huge and completely unique single player levels with five insane multiplayer modes. The game’s proprietary 3D "PAIN Engine" puts out 100 times more polygons than other FPS games. An arsenal of five dual-mode weapons, with varied combination attacks, equips players with all the power they’ll need to slay Satan’s minions.

Developed by People Can Fly, Painkiller has an ESRB of ‘M’ for Mature and an SRP of $39.99 USD. Download the demo at www.PainkillerGame.com.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Not sure about anyone else... Apr 13, 2004, 09:59 Hump

As for the rest of the debate here: Hey, to each his own.

exactly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perhaps the answer to the perennial problem of delinquent teenagers dropping bricks from motorway and railway bridges is to sue the creators of Tetris."- Unknown Author

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Not sure about anyone else... Apr 13, 2004, 08:31 Sphinx

Ray, you're absolutely right. While it's not as furious a pace as SS, it's awfully close but it's hard for me to say exactly how close since I'm only used to playing SS in Co-Op LAN beer swilling mode. Which means I don't recall SS that much but what I do remember I enjoyed.

Now, PK does try to challenge the player by making all the power ups (tarot cards) available only if you finish the map a certain way. For example, find all the armor, or don't use armor, or only use one weapon. It's worth challenging oneself to accomplish those goals since the power ups definitely help later in the game.

As for the rest of the debate here: Hey, to each his own.

-Sphinx

50. Re: Not sure about anyone else... Apr 13, 2004, 06:10 Ray Marden

Granted, I have only played the PK demo, but.......

It certainly seems that SS has a much more frantic pace and design. From what I have seen, nothing in PK (levels and weapons) would even really accomodate a massive, fast rush of any sorts. Not being incredibly rich in detail or depth, the game seems a bit shallow since the challenge and/or frantic feeling are not there.

On top of that, SS and even WR seem to be a bit more creative and/or humorous. Scale is an issue, too; obviously, nothing is going to beat FC these days, but both SS and WR seemed to have much larger, much more open levels.

Still saying it should be $20 :|,
Ray

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To not comprehend life is completely absurd.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

49. The price... Apr 13, 2004, 05:56 Ray Marden

...it still a little high for me, especially after paying $20 for Serious Sam/Will Rock/Serious Sam: The Second Encounter.

Having said that, my pending games list is getting quite small. With Far Cry and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomrorow (talk about short...) completed, I have moved to Syberia II. After that, I may give Painkiller another look.

Thinking it would have to be at least $30, though...,
Ray

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To not comprehend life is completely absurd.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

48. Re: PeeKay Apr 13, 2004, 04:25  famished 

"Damn you, Hump. Just when I had decided on getting Far Cry you write that up and now I don't know which one to choose. Damn you! DAMN YOU TO HELL!"

I would go for FC personally. There is more depth there as a game and more interesting things to do. Physics in PK to me is just a gimmick, whereas in FC they actually make a difference.

47. Re: Cool! Apr 13, 2004, 04:09 Muscular Beaver

Yep I noticed that most people who are intellectuals, rarely have enough skills to play games that require more than roughly point and shoot. When I played PK, I rarely missed a monster (even at the beginning), and when I did, I felt pretty stupid. Its that easy. Even on high difficulty. So its perfect for those people. Though, I doubt many really intelligent people play computer games at all. At least the ones I know.
The other side is that many of my friends arent that smart and are not able to learn a complicated game with many control keys, etc. They just shout when they get killed by someone else or an AI and blame everything else but themselves You should see them on LANs. This game is perfect for them aswell.
Also you might want to distinguish intelligence from education. thats not the same. My brother is very educated (speaks 4 languages, works in a high position etc) but hes not the most intelligent. He is not able to even play the simplest FPS. Yet he still does.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

46. Re: hmm... Apr 13, 2004, 04:03 Duc

Spear Gun huh? Yeah, sounds like you should be reviewing this game...

Ok, so its a stake gun or something - close enough surely :p

*mutter* wretched goddamn internet pedants *mutter*

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 04:04.

45. Re: No subject Apr 13, 2004, 03:52 Muscular Beaver

Dude, give me a break. They compare their engine to other (much better) ones out there and all they have is a modified quake3 engine. If you dont believe it, turn your brightness up, get powerstrip or get glasses. If you find the graphics of this game very pretty, you really need one...

Yeah, why bother. LOL

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

44. Hrm Apr 13, 2004, 02:29 Wazootyman

EBGames Painkiller summary:
This first-person horror shooter takes Painkiller, a mercenary for hire, and puts him smack dab in the middle of his favorite environment – the home of the undead. Unlike other survival-horror titles, in Painkiller it's the monsters that should be afraid of you. Collecting souls of the undead for cash, players tear through levels buying upgraded firepower as they go. Ultimately, the player must become his prey, transforming into a demon to beat Painkiller’s evil dead at their own game.
Holy crap is there anything not wrong with that description?
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/235878.asp?site=Froogle

43. No subject Apr 13, 2004, 01:52 SamBeckett

SOB, my CD are screwed

CRC checking failed 'end_of_chapter_4.bik' was not copied correctly.

http://profile.gamersglue.com/SamBeckett

http://www.lazygirls.info

42. Re: Lovin' every minute of it!!! Apr 12, 2004, 22:37 gerauchertes

There won't be another FPS that won't face comparison to Far Cry, just because that's where the bar's been set. But they really are two different games.

My problem with PK (in the demos) is the pacing. If it's going to be a nonstop fragfest, good, but it isn't. It's got its moments, but between them are too many lulls while I backtrack through the last segment searching for that last guy hiding in a distant window or way up on a rooftop before I'm allowed to proceed.

The aforementioned issues with the music were something I was wondering about (is it always that same riff playing through the entire game?) but if I turned it off, it'd be harder to tell whether I've still got some stragglers to track down.

It's sporadically amusing, but not enough to convince me to pay for the whole thing. It might have been another story if a little more thought had been put into the design of the demo levels.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 22:38.

41. Re: Lovin' every minute of it!!! Apr 12, 2004, 22:27 Squirmer

When games like Painkiller become bestsellers, can anyone really claim that PCs are for 'smart' gamers? All the stuff about dumbing down games for consoles means nothing.

40. Lovin' every minute of it!!! Apr 12, 2004, 22:09 MuzixMon

Painkiller is a fantastic game, the more I play it the more I like it. I have to say Doom 3 will have some big competition going against this game's monsters! They are some of the most creative baddies I have ever seen in video games. (I especially love the guy in the straight jacket who has got the electrocution helmet on... pure imagination!) Comparing this to Far Cry is useless, they are both great games in their own right. I'm just grateful its such a good time to be a PC Gamer... screw the dinosaur consoles!

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

39. Re: PeeKay Apr 12, 2004, 21:00 NotOneOfUs

The one thing I'm bumming about at the moment is there aren't enough people plying PK multi at the moment.

Maybe that's because they can't play the fucking game?

Ba-ZING!

38. Re: Cool! Apr 12, 2004, 20:44 J/K

far cry a thinker? eh.. not really first of all far cry is pretty, and then its pretty, but is it really such a hell of a game? no it has really great aspects and it has some parts which are so dumb from a gameplay design point if view, it actually hurts. but I won't go into that here, cause that would mean posting spoilers.
what is great about painkiller is that its very focused. it doesn't try to do much or anything complex, but it does what it is very well. a fun mindless shooter for quick short gameplay. get in any time, get out any time and enjoy the gore.
oh.. and those who assume that everybody who occasionally loves to play simplistic games are therefore simpletons, don't do a great job of complex thinking themselves

37. Re: hmm... Apr 12, 2004, 20:18 The Truth

I like it, its a good game.

but gonna wait a few weeks before i play, same with far cry,.. damn final exams.

------
Leading the "Support our Arrow keys" movement!

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

36. Re: hmm... Apr 12, 2004, 19:43 Furious

gimme the crazy keyboard smashing megadeath of ss anyday over a game who's best feature is the spear gun.

Spear Gun huh? Yeah, sounds like you should be reviewing this game...

35. Re: No subject Apr 12, 2004, 19:39 Hump

and the graphics are not great. they just look great because its dark everywhere. but if you look closely youll see how crappy the graphics are actually

Dude, I really have to assume your looking to troll the day away.

Bleh....why bother
This comment was edited on Apr 12, 19:48.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

34. hmm... Apr 12, 2004, 19:26 Duc

Actually I'm in the position of loving the serious sam games and disliking painkiller - I don't think it looks that good, zombies especially seem a bit blocky. Like other people have mentioned the room lock ins kind of suck: gimme the crazy keyboard smashing megadeath of ss anyday over a game who's best feature is the spear gun.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 19:29.

33. Daniel Gamer Apr 12, 2004, 18:53 Shadowcat

Painkiller puts gamers in the role of Daniel Garner, an unfortunate victim [....] Garner must fight through more than 50 species of Hell’s wildest incarnations
Did anyone else read that as "Daniel Gamer"? (I thought the latter portion of the quote was especially apt using that name.)

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo