Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

UT2004 DVD Plans

Atari to Launch "Unreal Tournament 2004" DVD Version in North America in Response to Overwhelming Demand is the press release announcing plans to issue another DVD edition of Unreal Tournament 2004. The new two-DVD edition will launch on April 13, but "will not include the limited edition tin box and Logitech Internet Chat Headset that were included in the Special Edition."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: No subject Apr 12, 2004, 07:47 lordon

so $30 drive woulda been a waste

Yeah because everyone knows you can ONLY use DVD's in a DVD-ROM drive.... oh wait.

=LD

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2004, 16:02 Awesome Spume

Installing a game from 6 CDs is not a big deal, seeing how you only do it once. I have a good machine, but have zero reason to buy a dvd player.... so $30 drive woulda been a waste.

Damn right! When those bastard up on the hill start releasing all their games on DVD cos it's cheaper I hope you join me in flipping them the bird and going back to playing Zool. Dammit.

20. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2004, 01:28 Ray Marden

Don't blame the publisher for that one - blame the market (acceptance.)

Watching most of my DVDs on the computer as I work,
Ray

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To not comprehend life is completely absurd.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

19. Re: . Apr 11, 2004, 01:22 PHJF

Underdogs: My home away from home.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. . Apr 11, 2004, 01:16 Morgan19

Home of the Underdogs.

m19

17. Fresh Thoughts Anyone? Apr 11, 2004, 00:35 Zombi Z

Here's a post I made a while back when it was rumored Enter the Matrix (PC) would never see a DVD distribution. Any new thoughts?

=======================================================
As GLQuake pushed hardware sales for Voodoo boards, MGS2: Substance, and any future titles published on DVD-R or even DVD-R-only formats *will* push sales of DVD-ROM drives. End users will not on their own buy DVD drives. Publishers will have to make the first move just as GLQuake made us buy Voodoo boards.

There is no longer a sensibilty to continuosly push A-List titles through the trenches in 2-Disc (Average, slightly bothersome), 3-Disc ("Mafia", "RallySport Challenge" port), and 4-Disc ("Baldur's Gate", Final Fantasy VII and VIII ports) and up distributions when DVD drives can be had for no more than $30-45
(At the time I wrote '60') (y'know, instead of buying another game, expand your compatibility across the board?) and most OEM machines come with DVD-ROM drives standard or as cheap-or-free upgrade packages. Now we face a title that may never see DVD-R format in a six disk distribution. I'm sorry, but no matter how good the game turns out I cannot support the title with my $50 in CD format. If publishers are willing to make the big push to DVD9 we will have fewer disks to manage, fewer to print when publishing, and piracy will likely come to a temporary slowdown while DVD-Burner drives are still too expensive for the common man to own without buying with an OEM machine. Hardware will only slowly sell better software while software and media thereof has a far more dramatic affect on hardware sales and advancement. Please consider boycotting the CD-R format even if your finances don't currently support the purchase of a DVD-ROM drive. (I was being a bit of a dumbass, shouting from my ivory tower packing a 16X slot-loading Pioneer mentioned below) The game and the industry deserve it. (I took a lot of crap from Dr. Evil and a few people on the GameSpot forums for assuming piracy would slow down. This was about two years before I discovered the Sig2Nat network and all the eDonkey clones and virtual drives and mounting and such; I guess I was limiting myself to 'not everyone can afford DVD-burners'.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... DVD9 offers obvious and significant advantages to managing six frikkin CD's. Pray for the poor bastards who conduct a full install or even a partial install of a six-CD game! Assuming Enter the Matrix turns out to be a noteworthy 20-30 hour romp, either the game takes 45-75 minutes to fully install vs. the plug-and-play (or 'pray') of a console, or you swap CD's 3-6 times (say for instance two or three CD's were just textures and dialogue and the other CD's were geometry and cut scenes, of which textures and sound could be installed while level geometry and FMV were streamed from the CD's) for a few hours of gameplay.

DVD-R can be spun at slower speeds for greater output, and if one finds the Playstation 2's 4x drive to load and run software with acceptable speed, then surely the Pioneer slot-loading 106S DVD-ROM drive's minimum approximate 6.6X (8.91MB/s) will satisfy as well as it's maximum approximate 16X [21.6MB/s] speeds creating the possibility of the long-lost
(Again I'm waving my DVD drive like an exposed penis) long-coveted 'Zero Install' that console gamers frequently enjoy. (remember Excalibur 2055?) PC Games could be run entirely from the disc and load far faster than their console counterparts as both faster drives are available and heavy compression to fit into limited memory wouldn't be necessary facilitating 256MB- 2GB of a PC's system memory.(I think I had 512 at the time)

How many 1.44MB floppies were required to install The Ultimate Doom? Four? Versus the simple fact that one 640MB or 700MB CD could install every Doom-engine game ever made? How many floppies were required for the Windows 98SE distribution? I think (unconfirmed) twenty-five? Again, versus one CD? My highest-held argument is that the 700MB CD format is no longer sufficient for most A-List games, and six CD's is far in excess. Many could easily cross their arms look downward and nod to the fact that 700MB CD's are no longer sufficient to backup what must be salvaged for a long overdue low-level format 'n' reinstall. One CD can barely contain the latest Windows OS, LinuxOS distributions hold 3 CD's as the standard, and all require shelf space in the physical world. Would you like to install Soldier of Fortune II from 2.88MB or the abominable 120MB-Superdisc floppies?

The time for DVD is at hand
(actually, "It's time for DVD to make a big comeback"; we had a Tex Murphy game, Star Trek Academy, Baldur's Gate and the like for a little while), and it comes down to the existing facilities for printing retail DVD-R media for consoles and DVD-players and physical shelf space for a jewel-case DVD game in the bargain bin versus a *cough* *cough* six CD game.

(A~nd here I go pitching my white retail DVD case idea in another DVD post)If DVD became the rule, I could see even the PC's recent retail minibox distributions giving way to the then all-encompassing standard double-height DVD cases taking up less shelf space plus having the advantage of allowing PC gamers to preserve the retail case- namely the cover art. Before the [goof-offs] in the crowd point to one simple [item] and throw the whole rant out ("We should switch to DVD for cover art? Oh [bugger] off..."), consider the Soccer Mom mentality. (No, I'm not implying that your mother buys your software; she shouldn't simply because if you still live with your parents you know that 'Parental Controls' really means sheltering your parents from offensive content) PC Games shipped in DVD cases with greater standardization in labeling** would look just as valid to non-gamers as console games with like packaging who would previously dispose of PC gaming as a crashes 'n' bugs fiasco endured by mentally damaged hamburger shovelers in white paper hats; further mainstream recognition could ensue. (That and PC Games would better retain their resell value as so few people can manage to hang on to those clunky boxes, as I found out trying to sell off some old'uns at my local EB Games- funny, the bastards were trying to push off plenty of games with bad discs, broken cases, MISSING DISCS, and missing manuals but were dismissing all but box/manual/disc combos in the most pristine condition)

** At the time I imagined specifically a white double-height DVD case, with a banner above the front cover with the four-square Windows XP logo in the center and Microsoft's 'system requirements' format on the bottom of the rear cover.

Any input, any 'fuck off' 'shut up' or anything like that would be cool. Thanks

-Zombi Z
This comment was edited on Apr 11, 01:03.

16. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2004, 00:15 Xero

LMFAO! I love making people feel stupid. My friend paid 80 bucks for Ut2k4SE off Ebay just for the DVD factor since who the hell wants to swap? He didn't even get the tin, only the headset. Now they bringing it back for 40 without the headset(worth 15?) can buy a set on your own, who gives a sheet about a tin? Lame. So he just lost pretty much 30-40 bucks worth, Muwhahahah.

"This my finest sword. If in your journey you should encounter God, God will be cut." -Hattori Hanzo ~Kill Bill

Currently playing: FarCry 4, Counter Strike Go, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Heroes of the Storm Beta, Battlefield 4, Gauntlet, Red Faction Guerrilla, BioShock Infinity, Thief, Shadows of Mordor

15. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2004, 00:01 nin

With .pdf manuals and all compatability issues ironed out.

That would be slick. Until the first time EA or Sierra pissed on everyone's parade...

http://www.depechemode.com

http://henryandheidi.libsyn.com/rss

14. All games should ship with DVDs! Apr 10, 2004, 23:32 thwart

All games should ship with DVD's. Who doesn't have a DVD player in their system?

While I'm on my soap box, ALL GAMES THAT HAVE A SINGLE PLAYER MODE SHOULD ALSO HAVE A COOP MODE!!!!! (I'm not talking about UT2004 for this rant anyway)

And another thing! I hate lugging around big monitors to lan parties. LCD panels are nice, but what I really want is VIRTUAL REALITY HEADGEAR WITH HEAD TRACKING!!!! I mean come on!!! It's the year 2004!!!!!

13. "Overwhelming Demand" Apr 10, 2004, 21:57 Management

Yet, I do not demand. hummm  
----
Clint is iterating.
Poor guy.
----

12. Re: No subject Apr 10, 2004, 19:31 Bronco

I'd pay $30-$40 a year for a mag that came with a dvd of abandonware games each month...

With .pdf manuals and all compatability issues ironed out.

That would be nice. Go do it and make your millions!

-TPFKAS2S (OBGYN)
http://www.braglio.com

-TPFKAS2S

11. Too Late Atari Apr 10, 2004, 19:05 ThirdStarr

Now that I own the 6 CD's why would I want to repurchase it just so that I can have the DvD version. Marketing should have done their homework better.

Great Game though

10. Re: No subject Apr 10, 2004, 18:36 nin

There are plenty, though, when CGW did a DVD-only bonus disc kids screamed bloody murder, even though it had 6 full games on it.

I don't subscribe to that mag, but picked up the news stand copy of that issue for the games (Mine actually had 2 of the dvds in it!). I was wondering how it went over with the subscribers.

I'd pay $30-$40 a year for a mag that came with a dvd of abandonware games each month...

9. Re: No subject Apr 10, 2004, 18:22 Beamer

DVD drives are common enough now to warrant this. And a game like this could force the last people holding out to spend the $25 bucks. There are plenty, though, when CGW did a DVD-only bonus disc kids screamed bloody murder, even though it had 6 full games on it.

This reminds me - I need to find Tex Murphy: Overseer. UAKM was great back in the day. Back when fuzzy FMV impressed the pants off me. Back when I had the time to beat that game in 3 days.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: No subject Apr 10, 2004, 17:25 JediPunisher

well, no game before it has really done a dvd release, so they were probably (maybe unreasonably, but) wary...

I guess you're too young to remember Tex Murphy: Overseer released way back in '98... and then there was Wing Commander IV on DVD... and one of those Myst games (Riven I think). I'm sure there has been others as well.

7. Re: No subject Apr 10, 2004, 17:16 Devster

well, no game before it has really done a dvd release, so they were probably (maybe unreasonably, but) wary...
DVD-only, you mean. There's been titles put out on dvd before (I didn't buy any, but) I think the Myst games, and one of the Baldur's Gates maybe... something else semi-prominent too that I can't think of.

I'm just happy that I can now get a DVD version; I wasn't going to buy it at all after the pre-order fiasco that left hundreds of people without a copy. I only wanted the DVD version, fer crying out loud. No swapping for me, thanks, that's annoying enough PLAYING games as it is, I don't need it when installing.

Next I'll be checking pages in my manual using a red filter to find the 23rd word on page 53...

There's a man out there I haven't seen in 15 years who's trying to kill me.

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

6. Re: No subject Apr 10, 2004, 17:12 Ryan

instead of bundling in the headset couldnt they have put a dvd drive instead?

I almost picked up 2k4 yesterday, but didn't see the special edition so figured i'd pass (I'd like to check out that 2nd dvd of mod material), glad they are doing this.

5. Re: No subject Apr 10, 2004, 16:46 Jerry S Ku

Nah, it was a good call to release it on CD too. Installing a game from 6 CDs is not a big deal, seeing how you only do it once. I have a good machine, but have zero reason to buy a dvd player.... so $30 drive woulda been a waste.

4. Re: No subject Apr 10, 2004, 16:46 nin

I'm pretty sure my box WAS NOT tin...

Kudos for pushing the dvd format though, this game is a poster child for it...

3. Re: No subject Apr 10, 2004, 16:22 Gdiguy

oh well... at least now publishers know it, so hopefully future games will actually ship out the door like this

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo