Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fixed SÖLDNER Demo

As noted on Planet Soldner, the multiplayer SÖLDNER: Secret Wars demo released earlier was 4F (thanks Tiscali Games). Word on how to tell the proper version from the corrupt on is: "Make sure the filename is soldnerbeta_demo.exe (Filesize: 224,141,974), this is the updated file. The old, corrupt file is called soldnerbetademo.exe." The updated version of the demo that has been confirmed as working can be found on 3D Gamers, ActionTrip, Computer Games Online, FilePlanet (registration required), Filerush (torrent), FileShack (registration required), Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

110. Re: Fixed like a... Apr 12, 2004, 03:16 Gatzby

This game, when you can actually get in and past the horrible lag, feels like a crossbreed of America's Army, Counter-Strike, and Operation Flashpoint... without a lot of the fun, to me. I'll cut them some slack on the master server issues, but they should have expected them... Unfortunately, I think that may be the least of their worries. At any rate, I've already deleted the miserable dreck and look forward to not hearing "Zoldner!" over and over any more.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 02:43.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

109. Re: Fixed like a... Apr 9, 2004, 14:15 ULTRAS

Update.

Finnaly got in a game...lag was unreal, I havent seen that much lag since UO on it's first day.

This game reminds me of the WW2Online disaster, great concept but the worst implamentation you can ever imagine. Sad thing is I think this is what the game is going to be like. I do not think this is an alpha( since they did not state it, only thing they can get away with now is to cry " This is a leaked version! lol).

Buyer beware...Bigfuckingtime.

Ultras

108. Re: Fixed like a... Apr 9, 2004, 11:06 Hump

The models don't seem to hot and the skins don't work in the browser.

the character models? they look pretty dam good to me. same with the animations and skinning. matter of fact its one of the best parts of the game (IMHO)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perhaps the answer to the perennial problem of delinquent teenagers dropping bricks from motorway and railway bridges is to sue the creators of Tetris."- Unknown Author

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

107. Re: Fixed like a... Apr 9, 2004, 07:55 madbunny

I played this game on a lan and it lagged with only the one person in. I played it on a lan and it severely lagged with more than one person in.

I played it on line (eventually) and it was lagging and it took me aaaaaaaaages to get in a game only for the server to crash??

It costs you money to buy things - fair enough, not a new idea but a workable one BUT why can they not just give you more options or more cash in the demo so the player can actually experience something?

The models don't seem to hot and the skins don't work in the browser. (Black pants = Blue boiler suit for me!) The animation is not too shabby but I get indifferent water effects? Sometimes it is blue and solid but sometimes it actually looks like water.

I have played Alpha's that have more in them than this. I am not imressed and on that performance this game would not get purchased.

106. Re: Fixed like a... Apr 8, 2004, 19:32 Hump

Tried a couple more times to play, but still can't get in a game. I hope they release a demo that actually lets people PLAY THE GAME at some point, because I ain't layin' down cash based on this bloody mess!

I've gotten in a few times now. It takes a lot of patience I can tell you....

"Perhaps the answer to the perennial problem of delinquent teenagers dropping bricks from motorway and railway bridges is to sue the creators of Tetris."- Unknown Author

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

105. Re: Beta Demo or Alpha demo? Apr 8, 2004, 19:21 ULTRAS

Lol, do these guys have a clue? Their DEMO doesnt work for more than half of us and now they are starting to advertise with Ole Blue.

Glad for Blue, feel sorry for anyone whos future income depends on this game.

Patch the demo please, I sincerely want to like this game but you guys are fighting me all the way not to.

Ultras

104. Re: Beta Demo or Alpha demo? Apr 8, 2004, 02:39 mr.domino

After about an hour of messing with the game, all I have to say is:

ZOLDNER!!

DISCONNECTED!!

ZOLDNER!!

DISCONNECTED!!

ZOLDNER!!

DISCONNECTED!!

Soldner!!

Uninstalled!!

The game wasted my time and was annoying.

Unlike 10 years ago, my time is actually valuable now, so unless the developers reimburse me for my lost time and pain and suffering due to the,
ZOLDNER!! ZOLDNER!! ZOLDNER!! ZOLDNER!!
ZOLDNER!! ZOLDNER!! ZOLDNER!! ZOLDNER!!
voice, I will never touch this game again.

If the developers don't respect me, they can just fuck off.

Hahahha atleast I can now tell my friends the name of the game and be like that "Soldner" thats shit! Atleast before people would talk about because nobody could figure out how to say that name.

"You know that new demo..Solider..solider...without the I...like 'sold-her'...its a piece of shit for 2 reasons. One I can't say the fucking name. Two, them demo don't work!"

103. Damn... Apr 8, 2004, 02:32 mr.domino

Damn...Never seen a company fuck up quite so bad on a demo. I can't connect to anything. Time to get out the serial cable.

102. Re: Fixed like a... Apr 7, 2004, 18:32 Sty

Was finally able to get in but can't get in any servers. Tried on numerous servers and just keep getting:

Send Challenge (1)
Send Challenge (2)
Send Challenge (3)
Send Challenge (4)
Send Challenge (120)
Send Challenge (121)
Send Challenge (give it up man!)

Then I eventually get disconnected from the portal and/or crash to desktop. Getting tired of 'G.I. Joe Dress-up'. Hasbro is weeping I'm sure. They should have released the singleplayer demo first.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

101. Fixed like a... Apr 7, 2004, 16:41 Tim1_2

neutered dog. Tried a couple more times to play, but still can't get in a game. I hope they release a demo that actually lets people PLAY THE GAME at some point, because I ain't layin' down cash based on this bloody mess!

-----------------------------------------
http://users.ign.com/collection/Cyberfury
Currently playing: Day of Defeat, Far Cry, Operation Flashpoint: Resistance

Currently playing: DayZ

100. My take... Apr 7, 2004, 13:34 MacD

I'm still downloading the sucker, but I can't wait to play it.

From reading the posts here, I'd say this demo needs three things: some bug squashing (yup, just some! Not everyone has problems.), a month or two for polish and some patience on the part of the people playing it. It just seems to me that some are trying to play this game like UT or Quake. Then again, I'm still downloading this

As for usenet...I'm connected to Surfnet through my uni: ultrafast connection :), but no running my own servers and no usenet I'm guessing more people have that kind of problem...

99. Re: I got in!! Apr 7, 2004, 10:14 Hump

My major bug with this game is muzzleflash. In short, where is it? People shoot at me and I never see any. This might sound like a minor issue but when someone is sniping your spawnpoint from a hill you really cannot tell where the hell they are, you can just here them and randomly die.

really good point. muzzle-flash is almost a necessity. if its not in your going to have a LOT of pissed off players getting sniped time and again (especially with maps the size of Soldners)and with no way to pinpoint them people just aren't going to subject themselves to the aggravation.

Been trying to play since around 6 a.m. with no luck getting onto a server

- Jim Goad

98. lame game Apr 7, 2004, 08:51 Muscular Beaver

red faction on steroids incl. the extreme side effects.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

97. No subject Apr 7, 2004, 08:46 Ajax

Well

Just tried it again and it still doesn't work. Blah
I can log into the Main Server now, but now I just don't get a list. Go figure. If I did get a list, it'd probably just have all those red XXX's in the ping slot anyway and wouldn't let me connect.

I figure if it doesn't work tonight it's getting uninstalled, forget about buying it. Only way I'd buy it if it got great reviews.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 08:47.

96. Re: I got in!! Apr 7, 2004, 08:33 Commando

Ignoring the fact they majorly underestimated demo demand (Hey devs, this is the only major demo around right now, you should have expected this!) it's not that bad... but it does need another few months of inhouse playtesting and tweaking.

I guess the reality though is it will just be another game pushed out by publishers and killed by a lack of polish.
This comment was edited on Apr 7, 08:36.

95. Re: I got in!! Apr 7, 2004, 08:00 ULTRAS

I can't stop laughing ever since I started reading the forums complaints.

You guys crack me up. This game does blow huge monkey chunks though, of course, im only guessing since I never was able to actually log in. But that in itself proves its blowness.

Don't these guys have friends that are good enough one's just to say " Guys, uhm, not sure if this is a deal killer bro...but, I can't even log into your servers bro? Think maybe it's my computer?" says Wingnets dev/pub mans friend.
Wingnets dev/pub retorts "Dude, has to be your comp bro, we have Phat pipes! SEND OUT THE DEMO BOYS!" yells Wingnets dev/pub dude.

Just a thought.

Ultras

94. bleh Apr 7, 2004, 07:45 test

customisation of character and destroyable stuff is cool.
not fun to play. vehicles are not fun to drive. tried the blackhawk, unnecessarily tricky to control.
the enviroment\buildings look generally dull. weapon models look dated.
commander mode should be simpler to read, as well as the normal map. giving orders and stuff is just confusing right now.
moving and 1st person view is generally poor. i thought i messed up something in the game setting when i first saw the 1st person view.
on the plus side, i had no technical difficulties whatsoever.

93. Re: I got in!! Apr 7, 2004, 04:58 Commando

I hope the developers read this but it's a long shot...

My major bug with this game is muzzleflash. In short, where is it? People shoot at me and I never see any. This might sound like a minor issue but when someone is sniping your spawnpoint from a hill you really cannot tell where the hell they are, you can just here them and randomly die. You have to scan the whole damn hill with binoculars and look for them because they don't make any flash when firing. Major gameplay killer.

Putting the equipment shacks and spawn points out in the open with little cover is also pretty questionable. I forget how many times my poor little guy has been shot in the head on spawn and when buying something from a terminal.

Excellent character models, animations and skins. No problems here.

Weapon models aren't great. They've obviously been designed for third person and look great slung over the back of your guy but in first person they are lacking polygons and have undetailed skins.

First person mode IS crap. I think you can pretty much blame this on the weapon viewpoint, it sucks (For rifles anyway, which is what you're going to be using). When it's not off screen you can only see a tiny amount of your gun, move it up and get it on there! The generally crappy gun animations also make it boring, stiff with no life to them and the reloads... can't we have nice reloads?

Vehicles drive horribly.

92. Re: So tell me....publishers or developers? Apr 7, 2004, 04:33  famished 

"So who dictates how these botched things get released? Is the the publishers who pick up the phone and say "put it up bitches" or the devs who say "well...I think it's ready"..."

It depends who you are. If you are iD Software then you tell the publishers when you think it is ready. If you are a small upstart company or don't have a bad ass game under your belt, they say "Put it up bitches". Since as a startup or small company you are literally the publishers bitches.

I hope they get the major issues ironed out (just from reading forums, I am about to try it myself). I think this could be an interesting online game.

91. damn!!! Apr 7, 2004, 03:47 Fausticle

I started my own dedicated server and joined it. boy was I disapointed..

The destuctible buildings are cool but the game looks awful and I'm using a radion 9800pro,
the frame rates are good but it just looks bla.
The feel of the vehicles are horrible, you turn from the middle of the jeep not at the wheels so you feel like your riding a unicycle.

I know its a beta demo and all I just have a bad feeling that this game is not going to be that great...you know fruit from a poisoned tree and all.
I just cant see them testing out those vehicles and saying "Ya thats about right lets release the demo" cause they really are horrible.

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo