Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Colin McRae Rally 04 MP Demo

The Codemasters Website now offers a new multiplayer demo for Colin McRae Rally 04. Word is: "Compete with up to 8 players at once as you career round the rally stages from Australia, Spain, and Sweden, from behind the wheel of a Citroen Xsara." The site requires registration, but the 161 MB download is mirrored on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, ActionTrip, BigPond Game Arena (registration required), Boomtown (registration required), Filerush (torrent), Gamer's Hell, Pixelrage.ro, and Worthplaying.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: CMR04 Apr 3, 2004, 13:50 Fingers M

Also there really isnt enough room on the road for 2 cars at once, its just not the way rally racing is done. I thought the FF was really good, nice and strong too, I could feel the road and all the bumps and when my tires lost grip.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: CMR04 Apr 3, 2004, 12:39 ReverendTed

It's not lame. And I doubt it has anything to do with the graphics. It's the only proper way to do it in a rally simulation. You don't "trade paint", this isn't destruction derby.
I agree, but it would be really nice to have the option available for players who so desired. Of course, that would require the programmers to write collision code for inter-vehicle contact, and I would have no way of knowing how complicated or simple such an implementation would be.

17. Re: Hmmm... Apr 3, 2004, 09:09 Rigs

Well, looking at my post now, it looks like I was complaining, but I wasn't. I was just curious. I guess I should wait to post until I'm more awake for now on...

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

16. Re: CMR04 Apr 3, 2004, 06:12 Moonbender

It's not lame. And I doubt it has anything to do with the graphics. It's the only proper way to do it in a rally simulation. You don't "trade paint", this isn't destruction derby.

15. Re: CMR04 Apr 3, 2004, 02:06 ReverendTed

Doesn't feel like I'm driving at all really. Had ff on and everything but I don't feel any bumps or turns or anything, was just fighting center spring. Maybe just me.
Perhaps it's just because I'm a huge fan of excellent soundwork, but using the in-car view is a real visceral experience.
Love the little touches like the windshield wipers, too.

14. Re: CMR04 Apr 3, 2004, 00:28 Rebian

Doesn't feel like I'm driving at all really. Had ff on and everything but I don't feel any bumps or turns or anything, was just fighting center spring. Maybe just me.

As far as gameplay, there's no way I'm gonna race a green shadow of a car. Just hotlapping for times is far < half the fun of racing for me. I wanna trade paint and fight for position.

Graphics are top notch though, very cool.

13. Re: CMR04 Apr 2, 2004, 20:16 Tei

For those that were curious - you see your opponents as phantom vehicles of various colors, much like the "Ghost Car" from the SP game.

Ouch, that's lame. The single player has great gfx, I guess a little too good for MP. Pretty sad solution.

12. CMR04 Apr 2, 2004, 16:04 ReverendTed

For those that were curious - you see your opponents as phantom vehicles of various colors, much like the "Ghost Car" from the SP game.
The Server browser and game joining is cumbersome (ripped straight from the console version, it appears...not even mouse support) and racing against phantom opponents isn't really different from racing against your own best time in single player. (Though it is funny to drive through the flipped-over ghost car of the driver who was previously leading.)

I'm buying the game for the single player experience anyway.

11. Re: Hmmm... Apr 2, 2004, 15:02 Wowbagger_TIP

3 stories there have 1/2 page PR's. I'm sure there used to be a PR page which got linked to, I'd be in favour of using that again for any release over a few sentances long. Quboid

I think there should just be a summary on the main page, and you can click the title link to go to the comments page which could also display additional info and such related to the story.

"God isn't interested in technology. He cares nothing for the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time, forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!"

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

10. Who comes up with this stuff? Apr 2, 2004, 14:59 Wowbagger_TIP

Does Microsoft really think I'm gonna go "Oooh! I gotta go out and buy Windows XP so that I can play a couple new ONS maps! Where's my wallet!?" They've gotta be more deluded than I thought.

"God isn't interested in technology. He cares nothing for the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time, forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!"

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

9. Re: Demo Format? Apr 2, 2004, 14:41 nin

considering 50% of this entire site is covered with gigantic ads

Well, when you get your own web site with 200+ million hits, we'll see how you pay for it...

http://www.petshopboys.co.uk

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: Demo Format? Apr 2, 2004, 14:15 abelincon

its good to know you're so concerned about space on the page, blue...

considering 50% of this entire site is covered with gigantic ads

7. Re: Demo Format? Apr 2, 2004, 13:49 ReverendTed

I'm about to give it a try. I really loved the SP demo, and will probably pick up the game based on the SP strength alone, but I would imagine the MP -might- be handled like the ghost car, where your opponent shows up as a phantom.

6. Demo Format? Apr 2, 2004, 13:40 Krynsky

Back to the demo...can anyone explain how the multiplayer aspect works? Does everyone race alone against the clock in real time and then view the results or are you racing against other cars?

5. Re: Hmmm... Apr 2, 2004, 13:31 FU

You said it. Not to many people care about the 640x480 crowd anymore.

4. Re: Hmmm... Apr 2, 2004, 13:14 Quboid

I'd agree with Blue too - it's long enough. I'd be in favour of shortening the page further. Removing ads by a subscription server is a way I've mentioned in the past. A simpler way is to cut down on long press releases - check out the top of the "Tuesday, March 30, 2004" entry (4 days ago) - 3 stories there have 1/2 page PR's. I'm sure there used to be a PR page which got linked to, I'd be in favour of using that again for any release over a few sentances long.

Quboid

Currently (re)playing: CM0304, CoD, Doom, Far Cry, UT2004
Eagerly awaiting: FM2005, Soldner, SP-PT

- Quboid

3. Amen ... Apr 2, 2004, 12:50 BFSoLo.

You tell em Blue !
Way to through that HTML, Web Host, Computer Geek talk at em !!
I have never had a problem with your page setup or how links are supplied... thanks to Mrs. Knoblock who learned me how to read in 1st grade.

It's all good.

2. Re: Hmmm... Apr 2, 2004, 12:04  Blue 

It's not an HTML issue, just spacing and aesthetics... as you note, some of these files have a lot of mirrors, and a story like this would quickly go from taking up a few lines of text, to multiple monitor screens, all based on the premise that a comma separated list is somehow difficult to read.

I am not wild for bullet points myself, and am always a bit suprised when people push for more of them on a page that already has as many bullets as a John Woo movie.

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 12:07.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

1. Hmmm... Apr 2, 2004, 11:50 Rigs

Blue, maybe you should put the mirrors in a 'bulleted' list from now on. I think it would be easier to list and read...then again, I have no knowledge of HTML, so maybe it's not so easy...

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo