Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

That was a pretty good April Fool's Day yesterday, a lot of good gags, and not too many stinkers. There was an interesting debate over the possibility that Google's Gmail announcement was a gag I fell for, but Google 'Gmail' No Joke, Lunar Jobs Are reasserts the factuality of the story.

Oddly, I had a series of short brownouts here in the BlueTower yesterday. I don't think this was someone at the power company playing an April Fools, and am coming to the conclusion that I need someone qualified to come in and make sure the house is wired properly.

Play Time: Chasm.
Stories of the Day: A Fine Year for April Foolery. Thanks Ant.
Students handcuffed at elementary school.
Nude women off the menu at one Nashville bar.
Science!: Lawn Mowing for Lazybones.
U.S. Won't Alert Parents, Doctors on Mercury in Flu Shots for Kids (registration required).
Electronic Snoops Tackle Copiers.

Follow-up:

California reconsiders nation's only biotech pet ban "lobbied by his wife."
Thanks Mike Martinez

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: GG America Apr 5, 2004, 16:37 Moog Operator

"Since you don't know anything about the law, maybe you should avoid the topic."
Written law, and actual legal practice are not the same thing. Cases in which drug dealers, hookers, pimps are hurt by cops/customers/johns usually come down to a "I didn't do it", "Yes he did" case, wherein the judge decides based on credibility. If the cops, johns (usually upstanding citizens) or dealer's clients (also usually upstanding) have more credibility than a hooker, dealer, or pimp (most of which have crim records for such things), guess who wins in court? By definition of law, they have legal rights; in practice, they do not.

"However, the probability that a fertilized egg becomes a person is probably close to 100% for a healthy woman in the United States"
The probability of a fertilized egg becoming a person without the mother: 0%. It should be, therefore, her choice. Anti-Abortion retards should be pushing for research into abortion methods which keep the fertilized mass alive outside the uterus, carry it to term, and be willing to pay fully for the difference in operation costs if they are so concerned about "life" of these unborn fetuses. As it stands, they make to ruin the lives of many of these children, and their mothers - hardly the christian way... wait that is the christian way.

The companies will be very pleased.
This comment was edited on Apr 5, 16:43.

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: No subject Apr 3, 2004, 15:47 indiv

Here's my question: Since the fetus has a potential to become an independent living thing, does that mean that every time I wack-off, I'm killing whole generations of young?

I'm going to make up some numbers because I really don't feel like researching the issue, but I'd say it's a matter of probability. Nature dictates that people waste a lot of reproductive resources, and that's just how things are, so no, you're not really killing whole generations of young.

Only 1 sperm can fertilize an egg, so the probability per sperm that it will fertilize an egg and create a human is probably around, oh 0.00000000000000000000000000000000001% (answer truncated because I don't want to mess up the message-board width--but really, think about how small the probability is per individual sperm). We exist in such a way that it's a fact of life that just about all of the sperm men produce will be wasted.

The probability that an egg will be fertilized and become a person over the lifetime of a woman is also very, very small (0.0000000001%, let's say). Again, it's a fact of life that not every egg will be fertilized.

A simplistic way of obtaining very rough percentages would be to say that on average, every man/woman pair has n children. So for men, sperm success rate would be [n / (total sperm produced] and for women it'd be [n / (total eggs produced)]. As mentioned above, these numbers are very, very small.

However, the probability that a fertilized egg becomes a person is probably close to 100% for a healthy woman in the United States. That's probably where the argument you're talking about comes from.

41. Re: No subject Apr 3, 2004, 14:28 WarPig

Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.

-------------------------------------------------------
Erections lasting longer than four hours, though rare, require immediate medical attention.

GO SEAHAWKS!

40. Re: No subject Apr 3, 2004, 13:10 Narf2029

That makes sense... one of my friends always said mass genocide was one of the most exhausting activities a person could engage in...

--Infantryman
Proud to be part of the ACASM.

"Is it so hard to teach a child not to shoot people?"

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

39. No subject Apr 3, 2004, 10:45 Bunko

Funny thing about abortion is the arguement, is the claim that abortion is murder. "The fetus could become a person!" They say.

Here's my question: Since the fetus has a potential to become an independent living thing, does that mean that every time I wack-off, I'm killing whole generations of young? Are you committing mass genoicide every time someone uses a condom?

Who's gonna play me? I think I should play me.
This comment was edited on Apr 3, 10:46.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

38. Really? Apr 3, 2004, 10:41 Bunko

Is the sky blue?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/04/03/iraq.main/index.html

37. Re: GG America Apr 3, 2004, 02:33 Learned Hand

God, the topic of abortion brings out the stupid on some people. .... First, by selecting, or by having an illegal occupation forced upon them, prostitutes waive all legal rights while they work (in USA and Canada).

The first sentence is true. The second sentence proves the point.

Since you don't know anything about the law, maybe you should avoid the topic.

36. It's a tough subject Apr 2, 2004, 23:58 Creston

Abortion is always going to be extremely difficult to get down in a law, since it's as much a matter of choice as anything else.

I personally think that a woman who was raped and got pregnant from it, should not HAVE TO carry the child to term. (Although I can see a non abortion option for it, carry the child to term and give it up for adoption).
Similarly, if medical science is absolutely convinced that your foetus has no chance of living a life "worth living" (and that's so subjective a term it would open up an entirely different discussion), I think that it isn't necessarily a bad decision to decide to spare it all the suffering it would have if carried to term.

What fucking pisses me off about today's society, though, is that so many women just fuck around, get pregnant, and have Doctor GoodKnife just cut the baby out, since they're too fucking lazy / stupid to buy some condoms. And THAT'S the fucking behavior we need to get rid of, by law if necessary.

An abortion clinic should NOT be "after-event birth control".

Halsy, your ideal society seems to be very close to a system of total Anarchy. Let's all do whatever the fuck we want, and fuck everybody else.
I hear Libya is pretty close to that, you might want to look into it.
www.movetolibya.com

As for hookers and drug dealers not having equal protection under the law, actually they do. If a hooker gets beat up, she is afforded the same protection under the law as Joe Wageslave.
The reason why hookers and drugdealers almost never report crimes committed against them is because the fact that they're pressing charges against someone doesn't stop the system from booking their ass for their illegal occupations. And in the case of most hookers, it's actually fear that the pimp in question will simply kill them if he finds out / gets out of jail.
There is no section in the law that says "If someone is involved in anything not deemed legal by other portions of this law, he / she shall not have the same constitutional freedoms and protections as everyone else."

Ofcourse, abortion is a fence topic, people are always on one side or the other, and the discussion begins already with deciding when something is actually life, and goes on from there.

Creston

This comment was edited on Apr 3, 00:06.

35. Re: ... Apr 2, 2004, 22:17 nin

Well now. I think we all need to take a deep breath and stop talking about abortions/baby killing/lunch. It's upsetting my bowels

Really! We really don't need to be covering this here...can't we all just bash Derek Smart (Derek Smart, Derek Smart) in unison?

And do you guys REALLY want Bunko shit everywhere? (No offense Bunko, I just don't want to clean up.)

I'm taking tomorrow off and going to Vegas...see you guys Sunday. (Hopefully this whole abortion thing will have run it's course by then.)

http://www.petshopboys.co.uk

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

34. ... Apr 2, 2004, 21:51 Bunko

Well now. I think we all need to take a deep breath and stop talking about abortions/baby killing/lunch. It's upsetting my bowels.

33. No subject Apr 2, 2004, 21:28 Nonicknameforme

Moog is consistantly slipping into halsyland as the days go by.

Agian halsy says something half way intellegent "if you can't take care of kids don't have them" but then he just slips back into nonesense. Sigh.

Anyone who thinks there is a perfect system of laws that will make a utopian society is a fucking idiot. End of story. I fucking HATE idealists, they are so god damn blind and ignorant and self serving.

Sorry, I felt like cracking skulls.

For clarification I support no views or opinions, and I don't give a shit about yours, untill they tread on my ablity to do with my self what I want. And don't go twisting that with some bullshit "so if you kill someone its okay" because you're just being a childish fuck. If you can't come up with a decent argument do the readers a favor and shut up.

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 21:31.

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

32. Re: On a more serious note.. Apr 2, 2004, 19:56 Koblizek

Yeah, FarCry is absolutely amazing. It is simply the bets FPS I've played in ages, hands down. I discover new things every time I go through it. I should say that I've restarted several times and haven't made it to the end yet, but I just discovered that one can shoot the megaphone-like speakers attached to alarm poles and disable alarm systems that way. The megaphone speaker falls to the ground useless...GREAT!

I hope this gets some mod attention like UT2004 is getting. I can see some amazing stuff coming from this engine.

31. Re: On a more serious note.. Apr 2, 2004, 19:50 Ray Marden

Just so long as we get Thief 3 and not Thief: Invisible War...

Worshipping all things Far Cry :o,
Ray

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To not comprehend life is completely absurd.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

30. Re: GG America Apr 2, 2004, 19:43 Halsy

If you're not financially or emotionally prepared to raise a child DON'T HAVE ONE. I swear to fuck, having children should require a license these days.

And DDI, you stupid fuck, if they can't choose to engage in sex as a legal trade, they're being oppressed. Same as the government telling me what I can't do with my mind and body (e.g. smoke weed, snort coke, etc.). Same as someone not being able to choose to end their life when they want. If someone wants to pay me to fuck them what business is that of yours or anyone else apart from myself and the person in question?

Fucking American Taliban assholes are the same as every other religious zealot out there. Always trying to impose their hypocritical bullshit values on to everyone else whether they want them or not. Fuck them and the horse they rode in on.

And Fuck Eidos because that just says it all. Thief 3 is going to blow.

"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit."
- W. Somerset Maugham

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 19:44.

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

29. On a more serious note.. Apr 2, 2004, 18:52 Koblizek

I guess Randy Smith is no longer helming Thief 3...Eidos producer has taken the reins. God help us all, film at a 11.

http://www.avault.com/news/displaynews.asp?story=422004-144750

28. Re: GG America Apr 2, 2004, 18:29 indiv

God, the topic of abortion brings out the stupid on some people.

You especially. Saying that the only babies that are aborted are those who are going to be born into abject, loveless poverty filled with abuse is retarded.

27. Re: GG America Apr 2, 2004, 18:01 Moog Operator

Fuck while we're at it, lets outlaw Vasectomy as well, even for rapists, because SPERM ARE CHILDREN TOO! Or, at least they could become children - well shit, there goes the penis enlargement surgery I wanted, BECAUSE I COULD ASSAULT THE SPERM WHICH GIVEN IDEAL CONDITIONS COULD POTENTIALLY END UP A CHILD! OMFG!!!
Seriously, you morons, get a clue, and fight for humans who DO have cognisance of their actions and existence

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

26. Re: GG America Apr 2, 2004, 17:54 Moog Operator

God, the topic of abortion brings out the stupid on some people.

(mormon friendly space)

First, by selecting, or by having an illegal occupation forced upon them, prostitutes waive all legal rights while they work (in USA and Canada). This means that if a john or pimp beats the hell out of them, they have no legal right to prosecute, nor bring forth charges. A parallell, for you fucking mormons who are going to say "no it doesnt work like that you fetus murderer", is drug dealers. Ever seen a drug dealer get his ass beaten down by clients/cops successfully charge the assaulter with ANYTHING (barring discrimination)? It doesn't happen, as a dealer waives his right to legal protection while engaging in illegal business. Back to hookers (illegal business): Now, in the USA, if I go pick up a prego hooker - whether I know she's prego or not, and beat her to within an inch of her life, she (the hooker) has no legal protection. But, her fetus, which 100% relies on her for survival, has legal protection now - the problem here is that this law is tantamount to saying "If a fetus is hurt, willfully or not, it is a crime". See where this is going? Abortion was effectively outlawed in the USA yesterday, while the rights and well being of millions of Americans isn't even on the radar for your government.

"To generalize it, a fetus has no control over their actions/existence yet a mother can pay to have their skulls crushed and vacuumed out"
To generalize, a fucking fetus has no cognizance of the world around them let alone their existence - are you saying that a fetus should choose whether or not it wants to be born into abject, loveless poverty, and the abuses coupled with that? Yes, you are - does this also mean you support 100% welfare, and donate thousands of dollars, and hundreds of hours to battered women's shelters, orphanages etc?

Here's another great graphic description for you: A 12 year old homeless girl is raped by a Christian on his way home from a pro-life meeting. Two months later, she realizes she is pregnant, and in a private medical system, cannot afford an abortion. Can't raise a child in this situation, so she bends a coathanger into a small hook, pulls down her ripped pants, delicately inserts this coat-hanger-hook into her sore, puss oozing, herpes-broken-out-due-to-pro-lifer-rapist-being-infected cunt, and tries to scrape the rapists child out of her uterus. Sure, the scraping is successful, but the infection she gets afterwards causes her blood to go septic, and she dies. The real tragedy here, is that her mom was too afraid to abort her in the first place (due to fetal assault laws, now a reality) and dropped her off at an orphanage - when she was too young to have control over her existence/actions - which she ran away from to escape the lecherous advances of her orderlies.

Maybe that's a little extreme, but until every fucking one of you anti-abortion zealots begins to fight for a born child's right to the same existence, same action, same education, same chances, and same rights (whether a hooker or not) you took for granted - you have not a respectable word whatsoever capable of coming out of your mouth, or fingers via a computer, to say about hypocrisy, or the sanctity of life.
This isn't to say I support abortion as a form of birth control, but it is in every way the perogative of any pregnant lady to decide whether the mass of cells inside her incapable of surviving outside of the womb should be brought into this world. Coupled with that, el Presidente for life Bush has made all but absitnence only education the norm in your schools - hmm... no birth control, plus horny teenagers, plus no abortion all adds up into: Decades of unspeakable abuse to children born into people's lives who will not give them a chance at greatness, due to poverty, or what the fuck ever. Pro-life should be called Pro-Selfish - ever think about these kid's lives after their born?

25. change the subject ! Apr 2, 2004, 17:37 Killer Kane

WHOA ! ...crushed baby skulls is NOT what i expected today....how about that FARCRY huh ? keeps getting better & better as i go along...got killed yesterday cuz i stopped to look at some really beautiful parrots ..DOH !...and ive always liked a good quality racing game ( prefer FPS ...until now ) but i gotta tell the world , i knew nothing about racing till i bought a force feedback drive wheel !!! ...ive always thought the price was a little steep ( $99.00 + ) but i picked up a "thrustmaster nascar 2" for $39.99 at comp USA the other day and OMG !!!!! i didnt know a racing game could be this much fun...showed it to my bud next door & and HE freaked ! , went out & bought one also...had my whole block standing around my PC in a semi circle ( kids , adults , non gamers ...)at 11:30 at night last saturday waiting for their next turn on NFS underground and/or hot pursuit 2 , then the ToCA race driver 2 & colin mcrae 4 demos i snatched from here recently ...if you dont have a wheel and you have a mild interest in racing games , i recomend you get one ...iam thinking of upgrading to the microsoft sidewinder ( $60.00) for my big rig and puting the thrustmaster on the family PC,,,anyone have any experiene w/ these or the logictek ???

24. Re: GG America Apr 2, 2004, 17:03 Bronco

Yes, that's the primary point of the law.

If you mean slowly chipping away at a Supreme Court ruling in an attempt to change something that they have no way of changing head on then I think I agree with you.

All this is results in is moving the 'line' closer to where 'they' want it to be. They tried head on and failed. Now they are trying the end around.

My point is to be a victim of murder then you have to be a 'person'. Logic follows that a person can't be a person only when you want them to be a person. It makes no sense. Based on this and the legal precedent set years ago this law can't be legal.

Again, I'm not saying which side of the fence I'm on here. I just think the methodology of the process here stinks.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

-TPFKAS2S

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo