Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Audigy 2 Drivers

The Creative Website now offers downloads of a new EAX 4.0 ADVANCED HD Driver Patch Update for Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and Audigy 2 ZS. Thanks SplitSide.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: BAH! Mar 30, 2004, 07:02 Sarcasm

#28: Run EAX Console from Start / All Programs / Creative / SoundBlaster Audigy 2. The quick way to get rid of all the effects under Windows is to untick "enable audio effects"; I believe that won't affect EAX in games. Alternatively click on "edit" and go to the Source tab, then turn the reverb and chorus settings down to 0%. I do this, so I can have MIDI reverb and chorus effects when I'm playing around with the synths, but keep audio dry.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. how about LIVE!? Mar 30, 2004, 02:45 Jensen

I want a decent driver for my Live! card too.... There is no feature that the Audigy 2 has over my Live! that I want at this time.

All the configuration sofware crashes constantly, if I can even get it to open. I can't turn off the echo when a game crashes, without rebooting my machine. In XP, enabling S/PIDF for a DVD movie makes audio go out of sync with the video (works fine in win98, though). The number of speakers option resets itself to two frequently.

I "hate" Creative because it has poor drivers. I don't hate Nvidia, because they frequently release new unified, stable drivers. I don't even really mind Microsoft...

The only thing worthwhile I got out of my purchase was some great games (deus ex, UT, Thief, mdk)

32. Re: No subject Mar 30, 2004, 02:42 Webin

ReDeeMeR... as per your suggestion, I downloaded the driver (instead of autoupdate), and reinstalled. Even though installing the driver is what caused the echo in the first place, reinstalling it corrected it.... thanks much.

//Ryan

31. No Competition = Lack of 'Creativity' Mar 30, 2004, 02:24 Hunterzyph

Ever wonder why turning on EAX with a Soundblaster card causes a huge performance hit? It's called uninspired coders. Why bother improving something that no one can compete with? That's why you'll only see new drivers for new cards.

30. Hmm Mar 30, 2004, 01:56 rkone

After my live, I swore up and down that I'd never touch another Creative product again. I've been happily using my "SoundMax" onboard soundcard, as it does 5.1 better than my live did. My center speaker is now used outside of DVDs, and I preferred standard sound panning to the live's EAX.

Now you guys tell me that the Audigy 2 has fixed most of the live's problems. Sounds like I may have to go back to the dark side...

29. Re: No subject Mar 30, 2004, 01:53 ReDeeMeR

Alrite, thanks I'll try to install that media player, never did b/c didnt want any more bloat ware chugging my pc, but I guess it is inevitable :/

- Webin, just reinstall the drivers, it helped me when that shit turned on, pretty annoying when 'everything' has eax effects, feels like ur in a metallic box

28. Re: BAH! Mar 30, 2004, 01:33 Webin

Ok... pretend I'm totally clueless about my Audigy 2...

Can someone direct me click by click how to turn off the environmental audio while in Windows? It's SO bloody annoying hearing AIM echo.

27. Re: No subject Mar 30, 2004, 00:18 Brak

I had that exact same problem. I fixed it by installing the drivers + THE MEDIA CENTER from my Audigy 2 driver disc. With just the drivers the windows method of setting the speakers through the control pannel wouldn't cut it.

The problem with BF:V is the engine. The original had bad sound problems at first as well.

FC is working fine for me, but I'm using headphones for it.

26. EAX problem? Mar 30, 2004, 00:05 Shredder133

Are you sure the game has EAX support? I've found that if it doesn't then the sound has probs, especially with the center speaker. When people are talking it does suck on games without EAX, in my opinion.....

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 00:09.

25. Re: No subject Mar 29, 2004, 23:48 ReDeeMeR

I have fuckin problem with EAX, seems like the center channel is way to quiet and I dont know how to fix it, almost impossible to hear anything coming from the center so in games I actualy have to move side ways to any person trying to talk to me, pretty retarded

- This only happens in EAX enabled games.

Oh and not to mention how EAX DOESNT FUCKING WORK in most games, for example BF: Vietnam the sound is so messed up and preformance so poor almost everyone uses the 2D sound!

In Far Cry it doesnt work at all!!! FU CREATIVE

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 23:50.

24. Creative Bashing Mar 29, 2004, 23:47 TheNarcis

Dont you guys get it. Dont you see the trend. Everything is cool to bash now-a-days if its the market leader. Thus the Creative Bashing. The Audigy 2 series is the best sounds card on the market today hands down. Any tech/review site will tell you this as well. You CANT beat it.

For the record I never had a problem with the Live series...so to each is own like anythign I suppose.

But if its "big" or the market leader...then its the "in thing" to do by hating. Thus all the Anti-MS, Anti-Intel, Anti-nVidia, and on and on and on!

23. Re: BAH! Mar 29, 2004, 23:40 Creston

If Creative is really as bad as people make them out to be, I wonder why they're the standard when it comes to support for Audio in games (EAX, etc.)?

Because they're the ONLY company of any size making soundcards aimed at the mainstream market?

I would highly suspect that something about your system was causing problems

I've had, let's see, 8 systems since 1992, each and every one with a creative soundcard. The first few systems had Soundblaster pro's in them, and had no problems. Then I had a system with an AWE32, which was fine. A system with an AWE64, which was ok, but the soundcard sucked.

Then I got my Live! card. Had nothing but screaming problems with it.
Now my Audigy 2, and it works fine.

I guess I just forgot how to build systems somewhere in the middle?

Creston

22. No subject Mar 29, 2004, 23:19 TheNarcis

If you guys cannot figure out what drivers you have or worried about installing over the old ones creative offers a system just like Windows Update.

It is on their Driver site and adds a small active-x like Windows and scans your Sound Card to see what you need for updating. It does it all for you like windows. No uninstalling Dloading and the such.

Here is the Direct link:

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?nSUFlag=1&sDestUrl=http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/&hdAllProduct=1&LangID=1033&hdDspLangID=1033

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 23:44.

21. It should be noted... Mar 29, 2004, 23:14 Mashiki Amiketo

That there are EAX 4.0 drivers for the Audigy series cards as well.

Date : 29 Mar 2004
EAX 4.0 ADVANCED HD Driver Patch Update for Sound Blaster Audigy
AUD-WEBUP-W5-LB

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

20. Re: BAH! Mar 29, 2004, 23:05 Shredder133

I get that messed up sound in the painkiller demo too. I assume it's painkiller's fault and not the game's since it's the only game where it messes up....

19. Re: BAH! Mar 29, 2004, 22:34 VoodooV

surprised that no one has knocked Creative off their stagnating high horse yet.

18. Re: BAH! Mar 29, 2004, 22:31 nin

Actually, Creative's history of writing excruciatingly bad drivers is very well known. Unfortunately, unless you buy an nForce motherboard, there doesn't seem to be a mainstream choice on the market (ignoring small companies who seem to go bunk after a few years, leaving you without support or drivers).

Turtle Beach all the way! WHOO!!!

http://www.kmfdm.net/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: BAH! Mar 29, 2004, 22:22 Wazootyman

Sound towards the end of the 2nd level of the Painkiller demo became more and more corrupted for me on my Audigy 2. The drivers are old, however. I'll get these and see if it is resolved. Aside from that I've never really experienced any sound-related issues.

16. Re: BAH! Mar 29, 2004, 21:23 Brak

I had a problem where I couldn't get EAX sound out of anything other then me left and right speakers, then I figured out it was my own fault for misconfiguring my settings. Other then that I've never had any problem with any creative card right up to my Audigy 2.

15. Re: BAH! Mar 29, 2004, 21:14 DrEvil

I have never had any problems with a Creative product related to drivers or hardware for that matter. I've owned everything since the SoundBlaster Pro up to a SoundBlaster Audigy. Additionally, every friend I know owns and uses a Creative card and has never had issues with Creative's drivers or cards. In addition to that, the office I work at has a Creative sound card in every single machine and we have never had problems with them either. If Creative is really as bad as people make them out to be, I wonder why they're the standard when it comes to support for Audio in games (EAX, etc.)?

On the other hand...the worst and most troublesome sound card I ever owned was a Diamond Monster Sound MX200. It took them almost 2 years to deliver a driver that didn't crash most of my games. So much for Aureal.

I would highly suspect that something about your system was causing problems.

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 21:17.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo