Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF1942 for Mac

The DICE Website has the announcement of plans for a Mac port of Battlefield 1942 in the works at Aspyr Media: "Battlefield 1942 and Road to Rome for Macintosh will be sold together at full price for approximately 50 USD. The launched is planned to the second quarter of 2004." Thanks Jason. The official press release on the announcement has more details, including a bit that hints at enhancements to the single-player game that is probably just an exaggeration of the same semi-solo play in the PC version: "The game also features incredible single player action. These levels feature unscripted, advanced AI allowing players a completely different experience each time they play."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Don't listen to these naysayers. Mar 25, 2004, 21:51 4D-Boxing

Zathrus

Thanks for educating EJ! Some people just never learn poor EJ

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 21:51.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Like Yesteryear.... Mar 25, 2004, 18:20 richcz3

Wow. This is a throw back to the days of the Amiga. I waited 2 years, 1 if I was lucky for game to port.
The ouch part is that they are "Anouncing plans for MAC port".
I can't wait to see the minimal system specs on that box.

richcz3

11. Re: Don't listen to these naysayers. Mar 25, 2004, 15:11 gerauchertes

Yeah. It means that when there's a bunch of drunk fuckers over all fighting for room on my PC's for some '42, the G4 won't just be hanging around like a limp dick.

Tony Z: SimCity 4 ran like a champ on my P4 2.6, and that was before I swapped the FX 5600 with a 9800 XT (haven't even tried it since then). There's really no excuse besides sloppy progamming for it bogging down on a G5.

10. Re: Don't listen to these naysayers. Mar 25, 2004, 15:09 Zathrus

anyone who would buy a PC just for gaming is insane when you can get an XBox, PS2 and GC, with memory cards, extra controllers and a new game for each system for less than you would pay for a PC that can run new games.

Xbox + extra controller + memory card + new game: $289
PS2 + controller + memory + new game: $280
Gamecube + controller + memory + new game: $194
Total: $763

Athlon 2500+, 512MB PC-3200 memory, NForce2 Ultra MB (Biostar), ATI Radeon 9600 Pro w/ 128 MB memory, 40 GB HD, floppy drive, Lite-On 48x/24x/48x/16x CD-RW/DVD drive, case w/ 300W PS, keyboard, optical mouse, WinXP Home: $617

Add 3 games (BF:V, UT2k4, and some other) for $110.
Total: $727 (and I could've easily skimped more on the PC, saving around $100)

The two are vastly different gaming experiences, with different goals, but your statement is wrong. Thanks for playing though!

Edit: UT2k4, not 3.
This comment was edited on Mar 25, 15:10.

9. Re: Gratz to Aspyr Mar 25, 2004, 15:09 DDI

Do gamers actually buy Macs?

What's a "Mac"?

8. Re: Don't listen to these naysayers. Mar 25, 2004, 15:01 NSi

Umm.. you're not trying to start a PCs vs Consoles flamewar are you? That's as endless and useless as fighting a Mac vs PC flamewar, you know. It's troll food.

Regarding the person who said "SimCity was slow even on my G5".. speaking as someone with both a $3600 G5/9800Pro Mac Edition and a cheap $650 Dell P4 3Ghz/9800Pro, I can tell you: the G5 is just slower than my Dell at most things, especially games. Don't believe Apple's lies about speed, they lie out their a-holes, they have lied wildly with every CPU launch since Jobs came back.

But hopefully they will get better over the next 12 months and then I can use a Mac in peace knowing that it's at least keeping up with a PC worth roughly one fifth of its price. Right now though, It makes me ballistic.

7. Don't listen to these naysayers. Mar 25, 2004, 14:13 EJ

If you already have a Mac for other reasons... it is really nice to get at least a few of the top games. Thanks Aspyr.

Nobody would buy a Mac for just gaming, but in my opinion, anyone who would buy a PC just for gaming is insane when you can get an XBox, PS2 and GC, with memory cards, extra controllers and a new game for each system for less than you would pay for a PC that can run new games.

6. Re: Gratz to Aspyr Mar 25, 2004, 14:02 Tony Z

Yes, but I would imagine it's not their only platform. I've still got my PC and a GameCube for when I need something other than Unreal Tournament and Blizzard games (although both are good). Hopefully Aspyr does a good job on this, their port of SimCity 4 is dog slow, even on my G5 (although from what I understand, the PC version isn't exactly zippy either).

--------------
Go Blue!

5. LoL... Mar 25, 2004, 13:33 zakath

'These levels feature unscripted, advanced AI'

I love BF1942, still play online daily, but I almost fell out of my chair laughing at the AI comment...hehe.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 13:33.

4. Re: Gratz to Aspyr Mar 25, 2004, 12:50 ExcessDan

I can't wait for BFV in 2006

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan
aka †Jesus of Bluesnews†

ExcessDan

3. Re: Gratz to Aspyr Mar 25, 2004, 12:43 Billy Bob

2. Re: Gratz to Aspyr Mar 25, 2004, 12:21 HoSpanky

oh BOY!

Now you can actually play this game on a Mac...right about the time the PC crowd forgets about it in favor of BF:Vietnam!

GOD DAMN I wish I had a Mac so I could constantly be miles behind.

1. Gratz to Aspyr Mar 25, 2004, 11:44 RaZ0r!

for bringing yet another AAA title to Mac.

RaZ0r!
Tweak Monkey and Gaming Extraordinaire =)
http://users.ign.com/about/Cutts

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo