Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rag Doll Kung Fu Revealed

Gaming Chart's Rag Doll Kung Fu Q&A is a conversation with Mark Healey of Lionhead Studios about their upcoming PC fighting game (there a link to a movie from the game in the story following this one). Here's a bit on the title:

Imagine having a Kung Fu Fight with string puppets, except you don't have to worry about getting the strings tangled up, and you don't have to have a kung fu fight.

You control the characters on screen with the mouse - there are no pre-scripted animations in the game - it's all up to you - to walk, you have to literally pick up one foot, then place it in front of the other.

Sounds tricky maybe, but it doesn't take long before you're spinning through the air like a Russian gymnast.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. The video... Mar 26, 2004, 06:13 The Half Elf

is on the web of this game it's half POS rap video half gameplay and let me tell you, after seeing it no wonder Lionhead Studios doesn't have it listed on it's site.

IT'S CRAP.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: No subject Mar 25, 2004, 14:59 nightfend

Dude, WTF? Did you see those screenshots from that Q&A? Is that even a game? Bleh, no thanks. Innovative is not always better.

16. Re: No subject Mar 25, 2004, 11:03 MyRealName

Sure, DBTS is a lot of limb flailing, if you don't PRACTICE. Give the game a couple of weeks in VSIM mouse control mode (yes, a couple of weeks - hey, how long did you expect it to take to learn to fight with a sword, 10 minutes?) and you'll be directing the sword exactly where you want. I lop heads off intentionally and regularly.

15. I got 3 words for ya... Mar 25, 2004, 10:11 The Half Elf

Jurrasic Park: Trespasser.

or whatever the hell that name of that JP game was with the mechanical arm that was good in theory sucked in gameplay.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Re: No subject Mar 25, 2004, 08:40 Zathrus

Mind you I've never actually seen a real sword fight.

Well, as far as cinema goes, The Princess Bride had "real" swordfights -- both actors did the actual fighting themselves and had training. The only thing that's annoying is that the swords were very obviously prop swords, and not good ones at that (you can see them bending flimsily in many places).

You must live in a rough neigbourhood.

Or merely seen some martial arts demonstrations.

And, note, RenFest sword fights don't count either... they're more hackneyed than most movie fights.

13. Re: No subject Mar 24, 2004, 23:51 Propagandhi

Would it any different from any other fighting game out there if it was gamepad controled? I don't think Lionhead is interested in producing "more of the same" in terms of game content (whether that's good or bad depends on your point-of-view, I guess).  
I eat pasta!

12. Re: No subject Mar 24, 2004, 18:51 4D-Boxing

Just wondering why they didn't just make it gamepad controlled... Now days you can buy gamepad for 20$. I guess they want to make something different not just your old fashion tekken type game. From the video trailer i can tell someone at Lionhead has been hittin' the old bleu micro-dot.

11. Re: No subject Mar 24, 2004, 18:19 JediLuke

Die By the Sword had a cool idea about their mechanics - but it always came off as hackneyed - the guys arms flailing madly all over the place

How is that hackneyed?

~Steve

This comment was edited on Mar 24, 18:20.

10. Re: No subject Mar 24, 2004, 17:44 Awesome Spume

Im now looking for reasons to keep my SWG account active

Why? I quit when I realised I did better away from the keyboard than at it. I was actually enjoying macro writing more than grinding levels.

it didnt look ANYTHING like a real swordfight

I always reckoned that the Michael York/Oliver Reed/Charlton Heston/Christopher Lee etc etc version of The Three Musketeers had the most authentic looking swordfights. Mind you I've never actually seen a real sword fight. You must live in a rough neigbourhood.

9. No subject Mar 24, 2004, 17:10 space captain

Die By the Sword had a cool idea about their mechanics - but it always came off as hackneyed - the guys arms flailing madly all over the place.. lots of boar men shoving their axes STRAIGHT up your ass.. it didnt look ANYTHING like a real swordfight - which is seemingly what they were trying to go for

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

8. the movie below Mar 24, 2004, 15:00 Ray Singh

After watching the movie posted in the previous story, I agree, serious drug usage was going on. The game totes "15 minutes of silly movie footage" which the preview movie is filled of (whats up with the white guy with the skin hat on?). The game also states "Chat, Dance, Fight, Make Love" hmmm, rag doll sex with kung fu partner, original at least. I can see the reviews already: "great premise, awkward game mechanics"

7. No subject Mar 24, 2004, 14:40 Pete

just headbutt everybody

Im now looking for reasons to keep my SWG account active

Doin' it Big

6. Re: OMG! Mar 24, 2004, 14:23 gerauchertes

Yeah. Die by the Sword was dodgy in general, but the mouse mechanics were pretty fucking cool.

I've been hoping for something else like that to play around with for a while, with some expanded control like this guy's talking about. I figured the mouse could control an individual limb or multiple limbs at once depending on certain keys being held down. I can't even begin to imagine how the mouse only could intuitively work the entire body at once (nevermind having it end up as something besides a figure convulsing violently in a freakish heap on the floor), but if he can pull it off: yes.

5. Re: OMG! Mar 24, 2004, 12:41 Hump

EDIT: oop, never mind

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perhaps the answer to the perennial problem of delinquent teenagers dropping bricks from motorway and railway bridges is to sue the creators of Tetris."- Unknown Author

This comment was edited on Mar 24, 12:41.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

4. OMG! Mar 24, 2004, 11:14 zaq

I just watched the video/trailer of this game (linked in the post before this one), and it's like a wierdass acid trip.

Friggin crazy!

3. Re: Wow.. Mar 24, 2004, 11:03 nin

Time for drug testing at Lionhead...

http://www.kmfdm.net/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Wow.. Mar 24, 2004, 10:59 DDI

Yea it sounds cool. I wish more games would do that, remember Die by the Swords mouse sword swinging system. Pretty cool but hard.

1. Wow.. Mar 24, 2004, 10:58 zaq

If they can pull that off, this could be the most unique and entertaining ( / amusing) game ever.

Allowing you to control every limb of your video game character... sounds almost Virtual Realityish

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo