Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Euro Thief III DVD Only?

A story on GameStar.de offers word (in German) that they have indications that Thief III will be packaged exclusively on DVD. Here's a link to a crude Babel Fish translation of the article, which does not provide a source for this revelation, which probably is only relevant to the European or German release. Thanks GameStar.Hu.

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: About damn time Mar 8, 2004, 20:13 John

Because of cheap-asses like you.

You don't even know me and you make a statement like that? If you think I'm a cheap-ass, then you're a dumb-ass.

It's not when the industry standard has been to include DVD drives as a matter of course in all new PCs for the last few years.

Not all include a DVD drive.. and most people that buy those PCs probably aren't big gamers. If everyone had a DVD drive in their PC, then games would already be released on 'em as in Germany.

How long do they have to be around before it's 'acceptable' to be forced to buy one to play the latest games?

They don't have to force it. The game developers just need to sell both CD and DVD versions and people will begin to buy DVD drives. I'm getting one because I finally have a reason to.. and so are many others.

No one seems to have a problem plunking down $200+ for a new graphics card every couple of years...

No one? I know many people (including me) that wouldn't spend that much just for a video card. It's not that I'm cheap either, I just don't see the need for such an expensive card when one $50 or so less works good enough for me. I've still got my Ti4200 which I bought over a year ago and am happy with it.

You get a DVD drive that can play movies and can end the annoying process of using several CDs for a single game...

I can play movies on the Xbox or my home DVD player, so that never interested me, but I do like having one disc to install and play a game instead of having to swap CDs. I think games should have been sold on both CD and DVD for the past couple years so that everyone could have made the switch already.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if buying a $30 DVD drive for your PC is too much money to spend, then you need to find yourself a less expensive hobby.

When did I say it was too much to spend? Hell, I've even been looking at some DVD-R/RW drives. As I've said before, its a matter of having a reason to buy one, not the cost. Of course selling games only on DVD is a good reason, but it isn't to those who don't have a DVD drive and/or that don't know how to install one.

Also, just because someone tries to save their money, it doesn't mean they are cheap. I'm a college student and pay the tuition and other fees myself, so I don't have a big stash of cash to spend on just anything.

This space is available for rent
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: About damn time Mar 8, 2004, 14:11 7.62WorldOrder

How is it a big jump? DVDRoms for PC has been out for like 4 years...or more?
You want to know how it's a big jump? How long have home DVD players been out? More than 4 years also. Then why are movies still released on both DVD and VHS?

Because of cheap-asses like you.

How long have CDs been around? About 3 times as long as DVDs. Then why are music albums released on CDs and cassettes? Why are CD players still not standard in all new cars?

I don't even remember the last time I saw a new album out on cassette being sold in stores.

It's a big jump to go directly from CD to DVD without having a period where both are sold.

It's not when the industry standard has been to include DVD drives as a matter of course in all new PCs for the last few years. Most everyone already has the equipment needed to play, and those that don't can get it for dirt-cheap, almost half the cost of a new game.

Not everyone goes out to buy the latest electronics or hardware right after they are released.. and some people wait years to upgrade to new technology. This is why movies are still sold on VHS and music albums on cassette That is also why I think its a big jump (or bad idea) to go directly to selling games on DVDs.

I know this isn't official, and that most other games are and still will be sold on CDs for a while to come, but you wanted to know why I thought that would be a big jump.. so I explained. Oh, and sure, this may only be my opinion.

You just said yourself DVD drives have been around for 4 years. Four years. That's an eternity in the PC industry. How long do they have to be around before it's 'acceptable' to be forced to buy one to play the latest games? No one seems to have a problem plunking down $200+ for a new graphics card every couple of years, nor do they have a problem spending $50 every month or so for a new game, but a $30 DVD drive breaks the bank? Give me a break. It's not like your $30 is wasted. You get a DVD drive that can play movies and can end the annoying process of using several CDs for a single game (not to mention having to buy cases for every disc if you want to keep them in decent shape) plus you get an optical storage drive capable of a much higher capacity. Some people are just cheap, end of story.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if buying a $30 DVD drive for your PC is too much money to spend, then you need to find yourself a less expensive hobby.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 14:29.

51. Re: DVD Far From Dead Mar 7, 2004, 22:45 John

It was supposedly more to do more with shelf space, but the box sizes have been reduced for PC games as well. This reduces production, printing and shipping costs because the boxes are smaller.

I think the smaller box sizes was a good idea.. those big boxes were unnecessary IMO. I wouldn't mind if they all were released in DVD-style boxes as console games are. Gothic II even came in a DVD box and it was on 3 CDs.. all stacked up. Still, some PC games need to be sold in a box such as when they have a large manual or come on several CDs.

50. Go DVD GO! Mar 7, 2004, 22:33 jm0ris0n

See Subject

49. No subject Mar 7, 2004, 21:59 Xenos Overdrive

DVD is dead,

Laughable statement just in this context given that I can walk into any Walmart or Best Buy and find rows upon rows upon rows of thousands of titles. DVD's not going to die anytime soon.

it can't hold HD content.

Well, you're partially right. But the high definition transfer is generally done at the hardware level, not software. I mean, you have to engineer the DVD's video file to play a HD signal, but it's the player that has to interpret it and display it on an HD capable screen.

No point in having a DVD drive in a PC,]

Why not? If you can have the capacity to run both DVD's and CD's in the same drive, or hell - even burn CD's or DVD's with it - nothing's hurting you. Yeah, most content isn't being released on DVD in the US market, which is sad, given that it gets tiring buying five disc collections when the whoel install can easily be fitted onto one DVD.

simply a waste of money considering that the end is in sight.

It's waste of money if you're still rather stuck under a rock. Despite a lot of people still using it, VHS is pretty much nearing its end. Time to embrace the modern time, friend.

48. Re: DVD Far From Dead Mar 7, 2004, 21:53 Krovven

Let me clarify. The customer doesn't care. When they pay full price for a game they (or at least I) expect cases and a manual.

Well I dont think you are going to like it no matter what is said but I'll point something else out...

The average price of a PC game really has not changed much, if at all in the last 10 years...despite the outcry of software pirating, etc. New AAA game titles still range from $60 to $80 CDN ($30 to $50 USD) on average depending on the title and the company releasing and of course the retail store, the price points have been the same for years, for PC and Console games.

Anyways my point is, they have done various things to keep those price points down. Some of which are using paper sleeves and PDF or HTML manuals instead of plastic jewel cases with printed sleeve liners and printed manuals. It was supposedly more to do more with shelf space, but the box sizes have been reduced for PC games as well. This reduces production, printing and shipping costs because the boxes are smaller.

Pulling numbers out of my ass, but say you save $1000 per palette of games through means of cutting corners (as described above) you do not need to raise your retail price.

I don't know about you but I have about 100+ empty jewel cases sitting in a box.

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 21:54.

47. Re: DVD Far From Dead Mar 7, 2004, 18:43 nin

Paper sleeves being used over plastic cases is to save money on shipping cost, not on the actual storage case. Paper sleeves weigh next to nothing, where the plastic cases will add up very quickly in weight on a pallette increasing the cost to ship.

As the person who paid $50 for the game (an no disrecpect to you), I don't care. I still want my damn cases...

edit: Let me clarify. The customer doesn't care. When they pay full price for a game (and we'll save the "you should never pay full price for a game" arguments for later) they (or at least I) expect cases and a manual. And when we don't get those (or the manual is so useless, all it does is waste space in the box), we as gamers bitch about it.

http://www.kmfdm.net/
This comment was edited on Mar 7, 19:18.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

46. Re: DVD Far From Dead Mar 7, 2004, 17:35 Krovven

Paper sleeves should be against the law. If I plunk down $50 for a game, they can spot me 3 cd cases...

Paper sleeves being used over plastic cases is to save money on shipping cost, not on the actual storage case. Paper sleeves weigh next to nothing, where the plastic cases will add up very quickly in weight on a pallette increasing the cost to ship.

45. Re: About damn time Mar 7, 2004, 17:08 John

The computer industry moves at lightning speed compared to the home theatre industry.

That's true, yet I just feel that they should give us the option for either.. as Epic (or it's distributor) is doing with UT2k4. I'm hoping that more distributors follow their lead and begin selling both CD and DVD versions. Maybe they will after they see the sales of the DVD version compared to the CD version.

I've also preordered the DVD version of UT2k4 even though I havn't got a DVD player yet.. mainly because I never had a reason to until now.

no i meant like ATI RADEON XT is out man its 256mb twice my card... so thats why i was wondering about that..and games already require 512mb ram..and i have 1gb ram ...soon they will require 1gb RAM !! aaaaaahhhh upgradeeeeeeeeeee... so thast why... thanks for ur help though !!!

Yeah, I understand that, but if that kind of system was required for HL2 and D3, then there would be many angry people who couldn't play 'em.

44. Re: Wondering... Mar 7, 2004, 16:07 mindwaste

no i meant like ATI RADEON XT is out man its 256mb twice my card... so thats why i was wondering about that..and games already require 512mb ram..and i have 1gb ram ...soon they will require 1gb RAM !! aaaaaahhhh upgradeeeeeeeeeee... so thast why... thanks for ur help though !!!

43. Re: Ray is bang on... Mar 7, 2004, 15:12 Terpfen

Regardless of how faithful a following a game may have they are not the sole targets of any new release. Although the Thief franchise enjoys a loyal following, it doesn't have HL or Quake like numbers. I'm sure they don't want to limit themselves to their past fans or the gaming elite. But, as someone else stated, it may have something to do with a multilingual release. Whatever the reason, I'm sure they've crunched the numbers and done their homework. I hope.

I'm sure they would love to expand their audience, but I don't think it'll happen. I think the people who will want to buy Thief III will know about its development now, and either own a DVD-ROM or will buy a DVD-ROM in preparation for its release--heck, maybe a DVD-RW.

It just strikes me as odd that there would seem to be no soft transition from CD to DVD as their was from vinyl-( 8-track )- casette-CD or VHS-DVD.

The transition's happened for years, IMO. The gaming industry is just now getting around to pitching DVDs for the sake of containing their installs on one or two discs. Example: UT2K4 will be offered as either 1 DVD or 6 CD-ROMs. There comes a point when concerns of manufacturing, packaging, and just plain practicality come into question, and the medium needs to change. CD-ROM was good for about 4 years, but we need to move on.

Honestly, I'm more worried about hard drive capacity with regards to holding vast amounts of large media (games, mp3s) than I am about the viability of DVD-ROM games.

42. Re: DVD Far From Dead Mar 7, 2004, 13:30 nin

and to save costs, like CJ, the CDs were in paper sleeves, not jewel cases. I'd rather a single DVD in a case than 6 CDs in paper!

Paper sleeves should be against the law. If I plunk down $50 for a game, they can spot me 3 cd cases...

But as far as dvds go, bring 'em on...it's past time.

http://www.kmfdm.net/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

41. Re: DVD Far From Dead Mar 7, 2004, 12:24 Jedi Master

Contract JACK was recently released on 2 CDs. The standalone expansion was far shorter than the full release of NOLF2 yet took about the same HD space.

Sounds and textures comprise at least 75% of the data in a modern game installation, and that seems only minimally linked to game length--sounds and textures can be reused from one level to another, with only a small number of new ones per level.

The transition to DVD will still be welcome, of course, I just think linking that to an increase in game quality is foolhardy at best. CDs are cheap enough that releasing a game on 6 CDs doesn't cost them too much. H&D2 was released on 3 CDs, and to save costs, like CJ, the CDs were in paper sleeves, not jewel cases. I'd rather a single DVD in a case than 6 CDs in paper!

The Jedi Master

40. Re: Ray is bang on... Mar 7, 2004, 11:34 Brick

Do you seriously believe that these people and the Thief fanbase are one in the same?

Regardless of how faithful a following a game may have they are not the sole targets of any new release. Although the Thief franchise enjoys a loyal following, it doesn't have HL or Quake like numbers. I'm sure they don't want to limit themselves to their past fans or the gaming elite. But, as someone else stated, it may have something to do with a multilingual release. Whatever the reason, I'm sure they've crunched the numbers and done their homework. I hope.

It just strikes me as odd that there would seem to be no soft transition from CD to DVD as their was from vinyl-( 8-track :))-casette-CD or VHS-DVD.

Note also that you're citing American retailers and American computer companies on a subject about a DVD-only release in Europe.

Good point. I just assumed there would be similar, if not identical, computer offerings or system specs in the European market.

39. Re: DVD Far From Dead Mar 7, 2004, 10:34 Devster

A DVD, holding much more data, implies that the game is going to be massive, and a massive game means either amazing quality or that its going to be very long, both are great options.
Given that a great deal of the Thief experience relies on atmosphere and surroundings, I'd suspect that a lot of it could be sound; conversations between guards/villagers, etc.

The sad thing is, even with games coming on multiple CDs or a single DVD, they'll still want to copy it all off to the hard drive.

There's a man out there I haven't seen in 15 years who's trying to kill me.

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

38. DVD Far From Dead Mar 7, 2004, 09:41 MoNk

DVD is far from dead, but thats another topic all together. If Theif III is to be released on DVD. That means great things for Thief fans. A DVD, holding much more data, implies that the game is going to be massive, and a massive game means either amazing quality or that its going to be very long, both are great options.

Now bear in mind there have been terrible and small games released on DVD, but do you really thing the makers of Thief would put it on DVD if they didn't see a serious advantage to it?

37. Re: Ray is bang on... Mar 7, 2004, 09:35 nimski

DVD is dead, it can't hold HD content. No point in having a DVD drive in a PC, simply a waste of money considering that the end is in sight.

They should put all their games on SACD.

36. Deus Ex IW DVD Mar 7, 2004, 09:27 node

Deus Ex in Europe is already listed as DVD only, presumably because of the many language voice recordings in there. No surprise Thief 3 will be the same.

35. Re: Ray is bang on... Mar 7, 2004, 08:17 /FÂ\ SLI

Valve's recent survey is quite interesting - especially the gap between NVidia and ATi

Depends on who you are asking, as is demonstrated here:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14553

34. Re: About damn time Mar 7, 2004, 08:12 /FÂ\ SLI

With FarCry coming on DVD only

This is only true for Europe. Where DVD drive penetration is much higher than in the U.S., where the game is still going to be sold on CD's (4 or 5 I think)

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo