Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

R.I.P. Origin?

UO Stratics has word that the other shoe may be dropping on the developer of the Ultima and Wing Commander series. According to the report the developer's Austin-based offices will be shut down, and "Employees will be offered an opportunity to relocate to California or accept a severance package. Company officials could not be reached for comment." This consolidation fits with the recent announcement that Maxis is likewise relocating to EA's HQ. On a semi-related note, Electronic Arts and the Growing Trends of the Gaming Industry on GameTheMod discusses EA's history.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Some corrections Feb 26, 2004, 20:36 JediPunisher

For some reason I just can't recall ever playing Shadow Caster

Shadow Caster was the predecessor to Heretic, and released about 10 years ago. You played a shapeshifter that could morph into various creatures (wolfman, frog, etc) some of which could fly and swim. I believe it used the Doom engine. Fun game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Stop your belly aching Feb 26, 2004, 04:15 Krovven

but some of us have memories that stretch back more than a half hour. It's nostalgia for what they were...

And others have enough sense to get over it and move on, the games still exist. This is like so 5 years ago. Closing the actual building and relocating the dev team may be new, but Origin died about 5 years ago when EA bought the company outright. Or 3 years ago when they officially cancelled UO2.

No point moaning about a company that previously made good games but no longer does and hasn't for many years.

46. Re: Some corrections Feb 26, 2004, 03:25 Xenos Overdrive

This is a sad day for PC gamers.

It was a sad day several years ago when Origin stopped being a power player in making games. Now, it's just nestalgia and rememberance of fonder times.

Origin has been responsible for more ground breaking and beloved games than any other developer:

Ultima I-IX, Savage Empire, Martian Dreams, UO
Ultima Underworld I-II
Wing Commander I-V

I liked Martian Dreams. The Wing Commander storyline got a little old to me after awhile, but I was running through a fantasy and RPG mode at the time, too...Ultima Underworld was a Looking Glass title, wasn't it?

Privateer I-II

Privateer I, certainly and most definitely. It's sequel can hardly be called such. But a good stab at it. I do think a little known game called Terminus was far better than either of these, but this is after the fan community took ahold of it and improved it.

System Shock

A game that practically defined Origin on it's own. And one of the few games I can recall where the sequel was actually better than its predecessor.

Crusader: No Remorse & No Regret
Shadow Caster
Bioforge

I will agree, Bioforge was a damn fine game. For some reason I just can't recall ever playing Shadow Caster..

45. Re: Some corrections Feb 25, 2004, 12:44 JediPunisher

I think you're a little too generous calling all these games ground breaking.

Ultima I-VIII, but IX? No.

Sure, it was the worst of the series, but I'd still call Ultima IX ground breaking... it was the first 3D Ultima. If EA had given Origin enough time (and money) to complete it, it could've been great. But everyone was being pulled off the project to work on Ultima Online.

Strike Commander? No way, no how, was this game ground breaking.

I disagree... Strike Commander had the best graphics (the first with texture mapped polygons) of any flight sim ever, when it was released in 1993. Plus, it had a story! Sure, no computer at the time could run it above 10fps... but, when computers caught up a couple of years later, I replayed it. It was actually a very good game. Wings of Glory was better though.

Strongly agree with Bioforge, really wish they'd made a sequel, really liked that game.

There's nothing more fun than ripping someones arm off and beating them to death with it If EA was smart, they'd license the Doom3 engine and make us a sequel!

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 12:48.

44. Re: Some corrections Feb 25, 2004, 09:53 nin

Wing Commander V? You're kidding right? That one was awful.

Prophecy? That had a great graphics engine...

edit: Also had episode based add-ons for free...

http://www.depechemode.com/
This comment was edited on Feb 25, 09:54.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

43. Some corrections Feb 25, 2004, 09:49 Tumbler

Origin has been responsible for more ground breaking and beloved games than any other developer:

Ultima Underworld I-II
Wing Commander I-V
Privateer I-II
System Shock
Strike Commander
Wings of Glory
Shadow Caster
Bioforge

Did I miss anything?

I think you're a little too generous calling all these games ground breaking.

Ultima I-VIII, but IX? No.
Wing Commander V? You're kidding right? That one was awful.
Privateer II? I wasn't a big fan of #2 but mabye...
Strike Commander? No way, no how, was this game ground breaking.

Strongly agree with Bioforge, really wish they'd made a sequel, really liked that game.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

42. Re: Voyager Feb 25, 2004, 06:21 Ray Marden

w00t for DS9! Told 'ya.

Anyway, it seems like Amazon has one of the "lower" prices at $90.99. Of course, local prices may be better or worse.

However, the price is incredibly "high" given how few episodes (15) there were in this late first season.

At this point, I have probably missed almost half of the series due to my general disinterest in the series. Being a Star Trek whore :o, I will purchase all of Voyager. I hope that things will play a bit better this second time through on DVD...

Edit: Linkage!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000127LW2/onlinebargains/103-8327075-3671050

On episode four at the moment,
Ray

--------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.fairlightchildren.com/mainpage.html
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on Feb 25, 06:23.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

41. Re: Stop your belly aching Feb 24, 2004, 22:58 Chance

Yeah, Origin hasn't done much lately, and it's just a name... but some of us have memories that stretch back more than a half hour. It's nostalgia for what they were...

40. Ahh poop Feb 24, 2004, 22:37 bigp3rm1

I started playing UO when it was 1st released. Man what a fun game it was. You could get on with a bunch of friends/guild mates and pk and loot people all day. We used to have a shitload of fun. I played for about 3 years and by then the game was so different I left. You spend hours building your char only to have the dev team nerf your character! So I have mixed feelings. I guess I feel like I'm getting some pay back now. MUHAHAHAHA whoever was in charge of fucking up my play time, you have no job!BIOTCH!

And yes UO does have over 200,000 active acconts. Remember this game is big in Asia to. I'll miss all the Asian players.. Dressed in the brighest of colors.. =)

Anyone here ever play UO on the C64?
This comment was edited on Feb 24, 22:43.

39. This is a sad day :( Feb 24, 2004, 21:43 JediPunisher

Ultima Underworld I-II
Wing Commander I-V
Privateer I-II
System Shock
Strike Commander
Wings of Glory
Shadow Caster
Bioforge

Did I miss anything?

38. Stop your belly aching Feb 24, 2004, 20:09 Krovven

Geez people get a clue and stop belly aching.
Origin hasn't produced a new game in 4 or 5 years. Ultima Ascension was the last if I recall correctly, and it was horrible.

Origin has been nothing more than a name from several years ago when EA scrapped UO2. Since then all they did was work on Ultima Online expansions and patches. The only new game they had in the works was Ultima Odyssey and imo it looked stupid as well.

So where is the loss here? There isnt one.

37. Re: No subject Feb 24, 2004, 17:32 B M

With the emergence of new Classic Pre-UOR shards like IPY which has almost 2k players at peak times, why would you pay to play a game that has nothing in common with the classic game that we played in 1998-1999.

The official UO has turned into an abortion of a game, a rabid dog, that must be euthanized.

[edit]
See my Other post below for a gleeful rant/celebration of Origins demise.
[/edit]

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 18:18.

36. No subject Feb 24, 2004, 17:21 Pete

has Origin released anything good recently?

their last single player ultima was horrible. and all the big guys have left long ago.

so they are just gonna stop using a brand name.

ps. i also hate ea. havent bought a hockey game from them since they crapified it in 2001.

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

Doin' it Big

35. Re: Voyager Feb 24, 2004, 17:04  GreenMarine 

Woot! I didn't know that. I just picked up Season 7 of DS9. My respect for DS9 has grown significantly...its quite good. Thanks for the heads up.

34. Re: Dice Feb 24, 2004, 17:00 Ray Marden

Completely off topic, but...

...Brandon, I presume you are aware that the EVIL Voyager season one is out on DVD now?

Still thinking they went the wrong with the "Will we get home today?" story,
Ray

--------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.fairlightchildren.com/mainpage.html
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

33. What? Feb 24, 2004, 16:36 Creston

Origin as we know (knew) it has been dead since 1998, when EA moved old Westwood guys in there to "take control" of the Ultima franchise, and then raped it to death with the release of Ultima IX. What have they done since then that's even been worthy of the name of the Origin of the early 90s, who gave us System Shock, Bioforge, Wing Commander, and the finest RPG ever, Ultima 7 Serpent Isle? Nothing. A bunch of expansion packs for their MMORPG, which suffered from just about every problem MMORPGS have suffered since then ( so much for learning from others' mistakes).

Origin has been resting, and probably not in peace, for well over six years now.

Creston

32. Re: No subject Feb 24, 2004, 16:35 4D-Boxing

The most fun i've ever had playing video games was with the wing commander series. At 30 almost 31 years of age it's sad to see wing commander die in the hands of EA. I don't know if EA got so big that they lost the ability to innovate or their just stupid but their is so much that could have been done with the WC franchise. After loosing WC, system shock and mech worrior i'm starting to worry about the PC gaming industry, it's almost like publishers are trying to sabotage PC gaming. Now we are going to get a wave of vietnam games, copy cats are going to release their versions and cry that PC games can't sell instead of trying to innovate.
IT's almost like publishers are clueless, i mean so many people cry out for SS3 and nothing. I know their are some issues about who owns the rights to System shock but with demand being so great their is a way to big bucks with the game and keep everybody happy so i feel their is a lack of effort. Fallout3, Grim Fandango2 would also be very good sellers but their does not seem to be any sign of them being made.
I really don't get what's going on in the industry, it's almost like the people who make mods are the keeping pc gaming alive cause they actually listen to what pc gamers want! One could just come in the blue's forums and listen to people start a gaming company and make a killing if they had the money!

Sorry for the long erratic rant but it's heart breaking to see PC gaming fall apart!

31. Re: Dice Feb 24, 2004, 16:35 Mimi blues dead rotten grandmother

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 24, 15:32.

30. Re: Dice Feb 24, 2004, 16:31 nin

Atari as a company doesn't exist. It's just a label that Infogrames owns. Infogrames is publishing the game.

Glad I'm not the only one who sees it that way...

Good post, GM!

http://www.depechemode.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

29. No subject Feb 24, 2004, 16:29 RazorWynd

you have been a thorn in my side for far too long avatar!!

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo