Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Syndicate Follow-up?

A report on SPOnG (thanks Computer Games Online) says: "a considerable portion of the original Bullfrog team that worked on the classic 1993 Syndicate is re-making the game for PlayStation 2, Xbox and PC, which is excellent news. The game is being developed here in the UK." The story goes on to report the game will be unveiled at this year's E3.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Bullfrog Siege Feb 28, 2004, 13:41 Paul

loved syndicate, fond memories of childhood really
had the original and american revolt expansion pack on the amiga, bought them way back in '94 or '95. played them to death and completed them both (yes, even the expansion, without cheating!)

was very happy with syndicate wars, even though i had it on the PSX. later bought the PC version and was much happier with the mouse/keyboard based controls

however i'm also a huge deus ex fan and have invisible war on both PC and Xbox, and am very disappointed with the way both versions are exactly the same - making the PC version feel like a console game. not good at all.

i wrote to EA, back in '97 or '98 i think, asking them if i could write a sci-fi/cyber-punk novel based on the games. they said i could, as long as if it was accepted for publication i signed a contract with them (obviously to determine how much money they get)
so far i havent finished it... but i do have some written

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Bullfrog Siege Feb 24, 2004, 22:43 Camaro76

I was hoping a mod team would make a mod for Dungeon Siege as the engine would have been perfect. (Freedom Force's engine might have worked too...) Now I don't have to hope for the mod.

Add one more YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! WOOOOHOOOO! to the list! Great news!

---------------------------------------------
"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?" -- Dick Cavett
mocking the TV-violence debate

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

23. sound Feb 24, 2004, 20:40 subx

For those people trying to get Syndicate working on their more recent versions of Windows, this site might be worth a look...

http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound/

Haven't tried it myself yet, but it looks like the sort of thing a retro-gamer's wet dreams are made of

22. Re: PPFFFWWOOOAAARRR!@!!!!! Feb 24, 2004, 20:35 Creston

Well, I didn't exactly mean "Bullfrog" since I'm not even sure they exist anymore. I think they've been totally swallowed by the Mechanic Robot of Rape that is known as EA already.

But saying "Attention Considerable Portion Of The Original Bullfrog Team That Worked On The Classic 1993 Syndicate, I will have one pre-order for The New Syndicate please" just seemed a bit excessive.

Creston

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 20:36.

21. Re: PPFFFWWOOOAAARRR!@!!!!! Feb 24, 2004, 17:46 The Truth

See im really excited about it, i really am, i loved syndicate wars (played thru both sides (Agents and zealots)), completed the first game and did most of the expansion pack (If u ever tried it then ull know why i only did most of it).

trouble is this quote from creston and my response:

Attention Bullfrog, I will have one pre-order for The New Syndicate please.

No bullfrog, only EA.

If they screw this up ill bomb their offices.

honest.

------
Leading the "Support our Arrow keys" movement!

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

20. PPFFFWWOOOAAARRR!@!!!!! Feb 24, 2004, 17:07 Creston

Hotdamn, Syndicate rocked SO fucking badly I would STILL play it, if I could ever get it to run. Using that flamethrower to just incinerate whole towns should have been outlawed it was so fun, and the levels just WORKED.

Syndicate 2 never really quite got me going, mostly because of one dumbass mission where some trigger never worked, thus I couldn't continue, but even that was frigging awesome.

Attention Bullfrog, I will have one pre-order for The New Syndicate please.

This goes straight to the top of my "MUST HAVE!!" list. Now if only another UK studio would do a sequel to Hostile Waters.

Creston

Edit : we all get all "ahrhghg must play syndicate multiplayer". There was something fun about persuadertron-ing as much of the map as you could, then finding your 3 mates who had also been doing the same, and end up having some debauched orgy or sprite-violence.

Best Game Summary EVAR!!!
Classic

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 17:09.

19. Re: I'm torn... Feb 24, 2004, 16:35 Mimi blues dead rotten grandmother

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 24, 15:32.

18. I'm torn... Feb 24, 2004, 16:05 Wowbagger_TIP

Syndicate is still one of my all-time favorites. I'd say it's still in the top 5 for sure. I'd love to get all excited about this, but after what Ion Storm did to DX2 and seem to be in the process of doing to Thief 3, I just find it almost impossible to get excited about any game that is being made for both PC and consoles. It seems inevitable that it will have some or all of the following problems:

1) Control problems related to the gimpiness of console controllers

2) Reduced level size related to the gimpiness of console memory.

3) An interface that is not well-suited to the PC

4) "Simplified" gameplay mechanics (translation: we took out anything that required the player to come up with tactics or strategy because those things frustrate console gamers. The entire game will be played on a rail that occaisionally splits into 2 or 3 rails before rejoining.)

5) Moronic AI. (I'm not sure why this happens, it just does. Processing power limitation maybe? Can consoles handle both the graphics load as well as complex AI?)

Those were off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more. I think we may be entering a very sad era for PC gaming. :'(

"God isn't interested in technology. He cares nothing for the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time, forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!"

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

17. No subject Feb 24, 2004, 16:01 Xenos Overdrive

I love the original game...and I remember at my age how hard it was!

16. Re: \o/ Feb 24, 2004, 15:07 tunis5000

Agreed, Bullfrog was great... I fondly remember playing the Dungeon Keepers and Syndicates, I would love to play another Syndicate game...  
-----------------------------------------------
I like pie.

15. Re: AAAAA Feb 24, 2004, 14:47 DrEvil

I actually tried syndicate wars a couple days ago in winxp. It ran, with no sound, but visually the game was going mach speed. Everything was a blur. I didn't bother trying to find a program or something to slow the game down to playable.

14. AAAAA Feb 24, 2004, 14:22 mr.domino

*excitement shows*

"AAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

13. "Selected" Feb 24, 2004, 13:58 subx

...or at least it would be if I could trust that when EA say, "a considerable portion of the original Bullfrog team..." they don't just mean the lad who used to make the tea in 1996.

12. Re: \o/ Feb 24, 2004, 13:55 Belly Flop

Bullfrog is one of my all-time favorite developers due to their various masterpieces over the years: Populous, Hi-Octane, Magic Carpet, Dungeon keeper, Syndicate, Theme Park etc?

I hope it will have online play. I'd like to abuse the mind control device. Maybe I can get someone to do my dishes...

This is great news indeed.

11. Re: No subject Feb 24, 2004, 12:36 Beamer

Syndicate Wars had serious camera problems, where enemies would be hidden when they attacked, and by the time you rotated them into view you were dead.

Still fun, though.

I don't know, I just remember Syndicate crashing XP into a reboot. Maybe that was Win98 that it did that. I should find the CD, dust it off, and start again.

Syndicate Wars is available at the-underdogs.org but the original is still on sale, so you can't download it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: No subject Feb 24, 2004, 12:22 Taulin

Syndicate 2, (Syndicate Wars?) was really good. It was in 3d and had an incredible atmosphere.

9. Re: No subject Feb 24, 2004, 12:06 pob

I think you can get it to run under XP, but .. getting multiplayer ipx'd netbios'd sessions to run is maybe not possible. Whenever me+mates talk about it, we all get all "ahrhghg must play syndicate multiplayer". There was something fun about persuadertron-ing as much of the map as you could, then finding your 3 mates who had also been doing the same, and end up having some debauched orgy or sprite-violence.

..and then you hear the airplanes coming in, and try to run into a building, but its all going really slow due to 486-power...and then, if you survive that, you see someone running upto you, think "hmmm that's a bit od-------" and then they CTRL-D and .. everyone dies.

I'd even be happy if they could "just" re-do things so that it worked with directx + tcpip, and kept the same visual content...I think its graphics are still fine for the job. But anyway, good news, assuming they mutter "bewareeeee the console" during its development. Don't Deus-Ex2 us up.

8. third Feb 24, 2004, 12:04 03YZFR6

A sequal to Syndicate did come out in the late 90s and it wasnt very good. Hopefully this one will be more like the original.

7. No subject Feb 24, 2004, 12:00 f13

massive multiplayer syndicate game! now thats teh shit

6. Oooo baby Feb 24, 2004, 11:43 Tumbler

Syndicate is one of my all time fav games. Really hope this turns out well. But making it for PS2 and XBOX is not a good sign. Means that controls will be simple enough to work with the controller.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo