Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

On the heels of talking about the dog show, PETA Files Legal Complaint Against Westminster Tail-Docking has word on an effort to end tail-docking... always controversial. I agree that the tail-docking (and it's cousin, ear clipping) no longer have any practical applications (if they ever had any), in spite of owning a dog with a docked tail. Airedales have a few inches cropped off the ends of their tails, and like many breeds where that's the custom, it is next to impossible to find them without this having already been done.

Play Time: Dark Tower Flash Game. Thanks Cris and Amy Glenn.
Stories of the Day: Simpson's Movie Planned. Thanks Spiders.
Helsinki police hand out record speeding fine. Thanks Jim Chaney. Yup, same dude as this story.
Harvard approves student sex magazine.
Science!: All Fired Up Over Clean Coal.
Human Clone Produces Stem Cells.
Electromagnetic field 'creates toxic gas'. Thanks LAR.
Media of the Day: I feel great! Yeah!!! Thanks Noel Stephens.
Auctions of the Day: 7'8" Pen Pal Friend. Thanks Starvin.
Become Famous - Your Own Interview and Brycon. Thanks Joseph Larson.
Follow-ups: Slashdot | Blackout Cause Buggy Code.
McGuire tells police gun was real steel. Thanks Christopher J. Sypal.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

62. Dogs Feb 15, 2004, 00:56 SH33P

I grew up on a ranch and have MANY memories of castrating the sheep and cattle and putting rubber bands the size of cheerios around their testicles and my grandfather and father telling me, "Don't worry, it probably looks worse than it feels." Uh huh yah right. I've heard of people using the same technique on dogs tails. My wife and I adopted a boxer who had his tail cut but his ears left natural and although I do prefer the aesthetics of the cut tail, I would never crop the ears of any of my dogs. Besides the obvious pain this must cause, i've read studies that say dogs with no tails and cropped ears appear to have more agressive encounters with other dogs because of the apparent inability to communicate their intentions with other animals. hmmmm maybe... Oh yah I loved ColoradoHoudini's comment about the "elite people killing skills". My boxer looks mean and deadly as hell but could only kill you with copious amounts of flatulence.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 00:59.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Need some advice here... Feb 13, 2004, 11:28 Armengar

one day you know that beaver tried to leaver her
so she chained him up in cyclone fence

God that brought back some memories.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

60. Re: Windows source leaked! Feb 13, 2004, 06:39 Bronco

Or is that Morrisey?

Bingo.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

-TPFKAS2S

59. Re: Windows source leaked! Feb 13, 2004, 03:42 Nonicknameforme

Its a good thing I played all these FPS games and am now a deadly and trained killer. When socity crumbles I'll have a fighting chance while everyone else simply speeds up the inevitable for themselves.

On another note, if we DO make it another 100 years, won't video games be fucking great?

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

58. Re: Windows source leaked! Feb 13, 2004, 01:12 WarPig

If this is true...

hmmmm, I don't know. Free upgrades (and quick) for anyone running Windows 2000 or NT would probably be the easiest way out for Microsoft.

-------------------------------------------------------
Know thyself... but not too much or you'll go blind.

GO SEAHAWKS!

57. Re: Windows source leaked! Feb 13, 2004, 01:12 Tony!!!

I dig The Smiths.
Everyday is like Sunday is one of my favorites. Or is that Morrisey?

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

56. Windows source leaked! Feb 13, 2004, 00:02 Enahs

Via way of Slashdot

http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=17509&category=main
Neowin has learned of shocking and potentially devastating news. It would appear that two packages are circulating on the internet, one being the source code to Windows 2000, and the other being the source code to Windows NT. At this time, it is hard to establish whether or not full code has leaked, and this will undoubtedly remain the situation until an attempt is made to compile them. Microsoft are currently unavailable for comment surrounding this leak so we have no official response from them at the time of writing.

This leak is a shock not only to Neowin, but to the wider IT industry. The ramifications of this leak are far reaching and devastating. This reporter does not wish to be sensationalist, but the number of industries and critical systems that are based around these technologies that could be damaged by new exploits found in this source code is something that doesn't bare thinking about.

We ask that for the wider benefit of the IT community that members and readers support Microsoft by forwarding anything they know about the leak to the Microsoft's Anti-Piracy department.

Update: Microsoft's Tom Pilla has confirmed the leak stating: "Today we became aware that incomplete portions of Windows 2000 and NT 4.0 source code was illegally made available on the Internet"

I am sure Blue will be getting hundreds of e-mails submitting this for news, so I will spare him.
But I got in first!

Ya know, gabby from Valve worked for Microsoft, coincidence? I will literally laugh my self to death if the truth about how it was leaked ever comes out, and it was a flaw in Outlook…..

_____
Enahs If you can read this - congratulations - You have won!!! Just e-mail with your CC# to claim your prize!
This comment was edited on Feb 13, 00:03.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

55. Re: Need some advice here... Feb 12, 2004, 23:41 Bronco

(I can't stand Primus and knew that one.)

How can we agree on so many things in music with the exception of The Smiths?

Shakes head,

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

-TPFKAS2S

54. Re: Need some advice here... Feb 12, 2004, 22:56 nin

but if you use a screwdriver to push the clip down, don't let it slip and scratch the traces on your mobo.

I'd like to echo that. Be careful with that screwdriver!!!

WANDA HAD A BIG BROWN BEAVER

No no no...it was Wynona who had the Big Brown Beaver, and she stroked it all the time... (I can't stand Primus and knew that one.)

http://www.sistermachinegun.com/
This comment was edited on Feb 12, 22:57.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

53. THIS JUST IN Feb 12, 2004, 21:37 wasrad

WANDA HAD A BIG BROWN BEAVER

52. Re: Need some advice here... Feb 12, 2004, 20:35 Big_B

Like I said be careful with the screwdriver, although I have had one pop out and jam down onto the mb three times in a row and apparently chipping that area is ok :). That was a while ago, after you do it many times it is alot easier.

Oh and great (but really lengthy) instructions at http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

51. Re: Need some advice here... Feb 12, 2004, 19:43 MeatForce

Does anybody have any tips?

You shouldn't have any trouble seating the HSF, but if you use a screwdriver to push the clip down, don't let it slip and scratch the traces on your mobo.

Oh.. and don't spread the thermal compound -- just put a little blob (key word: little) in the centre of the CPU core and let the pressure of the HSF spread it for you.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

50. Re: Need some advice here... Feb 12, 2004, 18:16 Ryan

Does anybody have any tips?

What always happens to me is I always think that there's _no way_ I should have to push that hard to get the HSF on.

Inevitably, you _do_ need to push that hard. I've never actually broken a mobo, or heard of anyone breaking a mobo, by pushing too heard. Rather, the last system I helped a friend build we both _thought_ we had the HSF on, even though it didn't quite click ("Hmm, is that on all the way?"), and sure enough that night the HSF popped off while he was installing XP (luckily we set the temp override in the bios, so the cpu shutdown imeediately).

In short, "you can never push too hard when installing a HSF" would make a great fortune cookie.

49. Re: Need some advice here... Feb 12, 2004, 18:15 Big_B

um go here: www.sharkyforums.com
ask there.

or:make sure you use the risers that the mb came with (DO NOT screw it directly to the case, use a razor or something to spread a thin layer of silver onto the die of the cpu, line up the fan, clip the side without the tab down, then use a reg screwdriver to clip the tabbed side down (be careful and do not let it slip out, and don't wiggle teh fan once it is on.

there's alot more, but that should get you started. Go to Sharky, very helpful folks there.

48. Need some advice here... Feb 12, 2004, 18:04 all4naught

Well, I am putting together my first system ever from scratch, and I feel pretty good about the whole thing EXCEPT for the HSF installation.

I got a Vantec Aeroflow rated for the XP 3200+ b/cI wanted to check out the TMD technology. So, here I am. Ready to install this thing on the Asus A7N8x-E mobo, but I am sort of worried about this part. I have heard of processor cores crumbling on the Athlon Xp's from applying too much pressure during the HSF installation. Any safety tips that will help me not have to buy a new proc?

I am worried because I have ZERO confidence in my motor skills, and this is the one part of an assembly that requres a sure hand. Does anybody have any tips? The Vantec uses clips and I am using ArticSilver 5. If anybody has anything to add...I'm listening.

Thanks for any bone you throw my way-

All4naught

/edit...too vague first time

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 18:28.

47. Dogs Feb 12, 2004, 17:22 Ryan

Did anyone else see this nova?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/dogs/

It was pretty good, gave alot of information on how wolves turned into dogs. The cartoon illustrations at time seemed way out of place, but the information was great.

If it's going to be replayed anytime soon you should all check it out.

edit: about halfway down this page:http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/dogs/potpourri.html

has a discussion on the dobermann.

Edit again: Oh, one other thing the show (or rather one of the scientists they interviewed) editorialized about was the idea of breeding for companionship rahter than appearance. That is, instead of trying to make a 'breed' that looked a certain way, the scientist hoped that sometime a breeder would come along that selected for 'good behavior' over anything else. An interesting idea, was wondring if anyone has heard of any breeders actually doing this? Basically, a 'purebreed' mutt.
This comment was edited on Feb 12, 17:31.

46. Re: Play Time Feb 12, 2004, 17:12 Moog Operator

"I've never met a cat owner that wasn't crazy with their cats"
HA HA HA HA HA
so true

We cannot eat solar panels, nor solar power.
We cannot eat wind power, nor wind turbines.
92% of the world relies on eating oil, via fertilizer, pesticides, transport, and irrigation.
How long until oil is too valuble for farming?
www.dieoff.org

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

45. Re: Play Time Feb 12, 2004, 17:09 robnkester

Gorgeous dogs you have ColoradoHoudini!

I miss dobies, I've had 3 over the years. The first 2 had their ears and tails modified, the last had only his tail done.

My current dog is kinda a mix of shep and lab with some chow in her as well (her tongue is a cool purple and pink speckle). She's awesome aside from her rambunctiousness. And her tail has spilled many beers and drinks in the short time I've had her. I learned to not leave stuff on the tables she has tail access to. Alot easier and less painful than clipping it for sure.

44. Re: Play Time Feb 12, 2004, 16:26 nin

You are one of those people that rock back and forth to the music playing in the car right? I always laugh when I see the suspension swaying to the beat.

No no, I'm far worse...I fully sing along. I JAM in the car...those people you laugh at, and you can't tell if they're singing along, or screaming at you (or both, at once)? That's me...

http://www.sistermachinegun.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

43. Re: Play Time Feb 12, 2004, 16:22 Tony!!!

Oh My God!! What is wrong with those people!? LOL
Loved that 'I feel Great' commercial. Had to save that one.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo