Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Oh well, as soon as I decided I may be willing to give up on the burr coffee grinder, came the rush of explanations for why the burr variety is superior. The main complaint about blade grinders is the heat they generate while chopping... the burr grinder operates more slowly (though hopefully not as glacially as the one that just died on me), preventing the heat from damaging the coffee, apparently even more of a factor when grinding exceedingly fine, which, like the proverbial mills of the gods, is my preference. Okay, back to the drawing board -- just call me Raymond Burr.

Link of the Day: Rewind your DVDs for One Dollar. Thanks Ant and Slashdot.
Stories of the Day: US man fined for shipping himself. At more cost than the airfare.
School board: No credit for Hooters work.
Oil 'burped up' in woman's home. Thanks Tony!!!
Science!: There's science behind the sixth sense!
Mad Cow Quandary: Making Animal Feed (registration required).
Stay Fat and Live Long.
Follow-up: Study Details 30-Year Increase in Calorie Consumption (registration required).
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

78. Re: what the hell is wrong with people.. Feb 7, 2004, 15:04 The Truth

FETCH THE CUMFY CUSHION!!!

POKE HIM WITH IT!!!!!!

CONFESS!! CONFESSSS!!!!!

It doesent appear to be hurting him lord

Do you have all the stuffing at one end?

Yes my lord

Hmmm, he must be made of sterner stuff,.. FETCH THE CUMFY CHAIR!!!

------
Leading the "Support our Arrow keys" movement!
This comment was edited on Feb 7, 15:05.

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

77. Re: what the hell is wrong with people.. Feb 7, 2004, 14:55 banddirector

Nobody expects the Blues News inquisition!

Vee haf vays of makeeng yoo talk .....

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

76. Re: what the hell is wrong with people.. Feb 7, 2004, 13:38 WarPig

The first thing they should do is let the father at him and step back out of the way and turn their back.

I concur. And sell tickets...

And I've got a shop that's filled with rehabilitation tools! We've got drill presses, milling machines, huge metal lathes, a couple big hydraulic presses, oxy-acetylene cutting torches, three different band saws, an abrasive cutoff saw, a steam cleaner, all the hand tools and hammers you could ever want, come-alongs and hoists, two fork-lifts, and various vises and c-clamps! And the pop in our pop machine only costs 35 cents!

Nobody expects the Blues News inquisition!

-----------------------------------------
And remember, this is only my opinion - anyone who disagrees with it has every right to be wrong.

GO SEAHAWKS!

75. Re: Am I the only person Feb 7, 2004, 13:31 c r i s p y

The biggest piece of the puzzle was to find the right PVR software.

Start here: www.snapstream.com

---
Chris.

74. Re: Am I the only person Feb 7, 2004, 13:23 WarPig

My most recent 'mad scientist' project was to build an HTPC (home theatre PC) that basically is a DIY Tivo, without the built-in spyware and with the ability to dump recorded shows out to DVD. It really is the cat's ass.

Oh man!

Where-oh-where did you get the info on how to build that?

And remember, this is only my opinion - anyone who disagrees with it has every right to be wrong.

GO SEAHAWKS!

73. Re: what the hell is wrong with people.. Feb 7, 2004, 13:18 banddirector

The first thing they should do is let the father at him and step back out of the way and turn their back.

I concur. And sell tickets...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

72. Re: Am I the only person Feb 7, 2004, 12:34 c r i s p y

So, what was the last thing you did that made you feel great? Not just in the world of tech.

My most recent 'mad scientist' project was to build an HTPC (home theatre PC) that basically is a DIY Tivo, without the built-in spyware and with the ability to dump recorded shows out to DVD. It really is the cat's ass.

---
Chris.

71. Re: what the hell is wrong with people.. Feb 7, 2004, 12:12 Enahs

Do we know how fast a human body decomposes in space? NOT YET WE DON'T!

The same rate a human body will on earth in a vacuum; which is not much slower then a well-sealed coffin. When you keep maggots out, the main cause of decomposition is internal not external.

How-ever, we do not know say… the brain patterns splatter of a gun, or how a cracked skull from a baseball bat heal in space.

_____
Enahs If you can read this - congratulations - You have won!!! Just e-mail with your CC# to claim your prize!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

70. Re: what the hell is wrong with people.. Feb 7, 2004, 11:35 Trymeyes

Do we know how fast a human body decomposes in space? NOT YET WE DON'T! If these guys are going to be worthless and contribute nothing to society, I say let's put them to good use.

I like your way of thinking nin.

After "seeing" those digital pictures of her being kidnapped, I got mad and wondered what goes through those type of peoples minds.X| Not that "hearing" about a child being kidnapped is any different.

Being the father of two daughters, 23 and 18, I can think of some REALLY gross and nasty things to do to him. The first thing they should do is let the father at him and step back out of the way and turn their back.

Just my opinion.....

- Trymeyes -

69. Re: Am I the only person Feb 7, 2004, 08:39 Devster

Ok, let's see the link to your collection.
Well, let me preface by saying I didn't say I had a big collection... my username there is "devster"; just look it up in the sidebar. I just want a printout for insurance purposes - those things add up...

Enhanced With Minerals For A Pure, Fresh Taste. - Dasani bottled water label

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

68. Re: what the hell is wrong with people... Feb 7, 2004, 04:16 Dwarf_Snowninja

That WOULD be an interesting experiment, the only thing is, you'd have to have quite a few people to figure out exactly how long they'd decompose and that alone causes all sorts of problems, as, if I'm not mistaken, most bacteria that break down tissue are aerobic (or whatever the oxygen loving type is called) and with each individual you'd have different types of bacteria.

Just out of curiousity Complicity, what kind of job are you applying for? I got pissed at a fast food place because they wouldn't hire me because I was overqualified (manager's own words), you'd think the fact that I was a poor starving college student would be sufficient, but noooo.... they want some slacker that won't have any upward mobility what-so-ever. Oh, and don't even bother with a grinder, I fried my last burr grinder (a Braun) on a blend I got from the local coffee place. I have the shops do it for me, but they always grind it too fine, as I use a press not drip.

67. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2004, 03:49 ExcessDan

i miss fred

me too... me too

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan

ExcessDan

66. Re: what the hell is wrong with people... Feb 7, 2004, 02:05 WarPig

Jeez nin, you are truly sick and twisted.

I knew there was something I liked about you.

Of course we would have to get the most for our money so we might want to combine experiments. For instance, we could combine the human experiments with experiments on yellow jackets, badgers, and bullet ants. Just throw 'em all into a big tin can and BLAST OFF!

GO SEAHAWKS!

65. Re: what the hell is wrong with people... Feb 7, 2004, 01:37 nin

Who here thinks this guy should have been back on the streets in the first place? Nobody? Good!

Screw sending men to the moon and Mars, we can do that shit with robots anyway (well, we're working on it).

WarPig, ya got me thinking...we gotta have people in space at some point in the future. And unfortunately, evil people that prey on children are in no short supply. So...

Let's combine the two! Let's take the guy that killed the little girl and launch him directly at the sun - you know, to see how long the human body can survive. Then we can shoot them at Mars...it we want to know more about a given planet, we take some child molester, put him in a suit with a lot of sensors on it, and launch him straight at a planet. When he gets there, even if he'd dead, he'll still be useful. Do we know how fast a human body decomposes in space? NOT YET WE DON'T! If these guys are going to be worthless and contribute nothing to society, I say let's put them to good use.

http://www.jpnm.net/voodoochild/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

64. No subject Feb 7, 2004, 01:16 Soupkin

i miss fred  
Im Soupkin.
I hope i dont have aids.
http://users.ign.com/collection/Serious_Soup)
Postal 2 sucks.

63. Re: Am I the only person Feb 7, 2004, 00:39 WarPig

I've been wanting to take a course in PLC programming for a while now. PLC programming has screwed up more projects than I care to admit.

Oh yeah, do this if you can. First of all, it's actually kind of fun - I wish we had a lot more of it to do. Secondly, once you become "the man" and they come to rely on you to do something they don't understand you can start to "delegate" some of the more mundane stuff you now have to do (since you wont have time anymore).

I no longer do purchasing - which is good.

GO SEAHAWKS!

62. Re: Am I the only person Feb 6, 2004, 23:32 Bronco

That post was funny as hell snide! I wonder how many times Blue has had almost the exact same conversation.

I agree, it really made me laugh. I wish I was in your shoes instead of mine.

This might have been cake to an experienced programmer who probably wouldn't have even attempted to do this with ladder logic (using a PID loop instead) but for an inexperienced "programmer" like me it was pure magic when the thing finally worked.

This is exactly what I was talking about. I've been wanting to take a course in PLC programming for a while now. PLC programming has screwed up more projects than I care to admit. We always outsource our programming and they all suck. I really need to learn how to do this so we don't have to subcontract it.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

-TPFKAS2S

61. Re: Grinders Feb 6, 2004, 23:29 Bronco

Funny, when I see the term "grinders" the first thing I think of is a sandwich in a torpedo roll.

In the Philadelphia area a grinder is a hoagie (lunchmeat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion plus extras like sweet or hot peppers) that is assembled then placed in an oven to be toasted.

A hoagie should not be confused with a 'Zep'. A Zep is either a kaiser or torpedo roll with oil, cooked salami, provolone, tomato, onion and hot or sweet peppers.

I think Zeps may be a Philly only thing. Maybe even a Montgomery County, PA thing.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

-TPFKAS2S

60. Meatball Grinders Feb 6, 2004, 23:27 unaloony

Balls of meat of dubious quality covered in a glutenous red sauce and scooped into plain white bread roll cut lenghtwise!!!! Oooh la la. What a segway!

After using a blade grinder for coffee a few times, you can't really use it for chopping herbs or other fine cooking. The coffee leaves a oil residue that is extremely hard to wash away .. you could still use if for chopping nuts used in baking or other culinary applications where a slight coffee taste wouldn't affect the overall composition, I suppose.

59. Re: Am I the only person Feb 6, 2004, 23:22 WarPig

I think running Guzzlefish qualifies me as a card carrying nerd though. It also instantly makes me the biggest loser at any random bar situation. Here's how it usually goes.

That post was funny as hell snide! I wonder how many times Blue has had almost the exact same conversation.

This made me wonder, how many of you are the most tech savvy in your group of friends?

The most tech savvy friend I have is about equal with me, which would be "not very" when compared with 95% of the people on this board. That being said, most of my friends, co-workers, and relatives rely on me for all their computer questions. Hell, I'm basically the IT guy at work - although I'm only talking about six computers total. I only got a computer for myself ten years ago so I could build a Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet to run my fantasy football league and play a little computer golf.

Back when I was in my Quake CTF clan I really learned how little I understood. The two guys who ran the clan basically ran the ISP I was on. Talk about some great clan matches and LAN parties. We would set up right in the ISP lunchroom and would be connected directly to the net - we was some low-pingin'-bastards. And this was before DSL and cable so the difference was really incredible.

So, what was the last thing you did that made you feel great? Not just in the world of tech.

A few months ago I wrote a little PLC ladder logic program that took two bagging machines with manual speed controls and matched one's speed to the other using an analog card, a couple proximity eyes, and a frequency control. Then they had to run 180 degrees out from one another - within about 5 degrees.

This might have been cake to an experienced programmer who probably wouldn't have even attempted to do this with ladder logic (using a PID loop instead) but for an inexperienced "programmer" like me it was pure magic when the thing finally worked.

GO SEAHAWKS!

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo