Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy: Universal Combat

DreamCatcher Games sends word that Universal Combat is now available in-stores: "Universal Combat brings together the greatest components of any war, to a single game. Originally conceived as Battlecruiser Generations, the game has morphed into much more than a massive space sim, and its action-based focus caters to a much broader audience. 'Universal Combat is all about flexibility,' commented Richard Wah Kan, DreamCatcher’s President and CEO. 'Gamers can take on any number of roles and fight battles using a wealth of different weapons, craft and strategies.'"

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. UPDATE Feb 8, 2004, 18:38 Cheese

IVE BEEN MISLEAD , its happened before

after you look past some fancy texture fixing and UGLY ground effects that mean mothing cause you drive thru everything no collision at all

ITS THE SAME GAME AS BCM was which was medium quality at best

Im so sorry for the misleading praise but i must fess up it HORRIBLE GAME LOL

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. free will is better Feb 6, 2004, 20:34 space captain

speak for yourself

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

21. Re: BCM Feb 6, 2004, 18:37 Tigger

Im no fan boy either

Sure your not. It's OK - we're all fanboys to our own particular games!

--
Tigger
"It's not the years, it's the mileage" ~Indiana Jones

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

20. BCM Feb 6, 2004, 17:58 Cheese

At first when i heard of this game i thought to myself ummm another company changing the name of a old title and rereleasing it under a new moniker.

Then I said to myself they just cant get away with doing this these days can they?

So i proceeded to the UniversalCombat web site to only comfirm my suspisions and lo n behold BOOM on there web site the game looks like a carbon cory of BCM.

Well to sum this up in this century I must say that even though the screens looked the same as BCM I just purchased Universal from Eb at $19.

Well well I think DS should be very angry at the universalcombat web site cause I almost didnt buy it cause of that, but i must say I CANT BELIVE THE GAME LOOKS THIS GOOD. ahhh now granted I didnt play it yet but I already know how BCM plays and I will get to it soon enough but the one problem i had with BCM is the graphics...

Now that it seems like up to date with the graphics i'll finish learning BCM/Universal Combat till my eyes bleed

Im no fan boy either if you read some of my rantings ive raked Derek accros the coals so to speak based on the graphics but based on the game code the man is a genius.

Call me what ever you like but dont call me while im playing UniversalCombat please.. thank you.....

Oh and Derek I dont blame you for being angry about the price but please understand you dont have the track record Gabe Newell or Adrian Carmack so stop with your big headed ness ok and take a bow on what happens to be the most complicated ,hopefuly playable game in the history of PC gamming..... Peace bro and Good Luck.

19. Re: Beta NOT shipped Feb 6, 2004, 13:34 Tigger

Also, he says in the forums if the price is $20, he won't make any money and therefore there will be no patches.

If this is indeed true, he's going to have a hard time sueing DC for his loses. They could always counter-sue that he sabotaged games sales by making claims like that.

--
Tigger

--
Tigger

18. stranger things have happened... Feb 6, 2004, 10:07 Hump

Hey, the game is on EB's best seller list (at the time of this post anyhow).

http://ebgames.com/ebx/categories/homepages/pcgames/default.asp

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perhaps the answer to the perennial problem of delinquent teenagers dropping bricks from motorway and railway bridges is to sue the creators of Tetris."- Unknown Author

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

17. Re: No subject Feb 6, 2004, 09:33 Blackhawk

He did not lose the suit - he just lost the injunction against DreamCatcher releasing the game at $19.99. All that would have done was prevent the game's release for a set period of time. That doesn't show that he was right or wrong, just that he couldn't prove that he would suffer damage by the game's being released at that price.

The actual suit (suits, actually) are still pending.

16. About Demo... Feb 6, 2004, 06:48 The Half Elf

Good glad I have to own a previous copy of his game to play the demo, just means I don't have to waste my time with the demo and waste 20 bucks on universal Combat

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. No subject Feb 6, 2004, 03:42 EvilGoof_Trollboy

there is a demo for this, but you have to own the previous game to get at it. was mentioned on homelanfed (and here) the other day http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=20417

the guys a fucking idiot

14. Beta NOT shipped Feb 6, 2004, 02:05 Bob James

According to Smart's recent post on his forums, the game being sent to stores the final version, not beta. He gave it to the publisher and then they changed the price on him. (Stupid!).

Also, he says in the forums if the price is $20, he won't make any money and therefore there will be no patches.

Bob James
HALF-PRICE SOFTWARE

PC Games at up to Half-Off List Price
http://www.stores.ebay.com/halfpricesoftware/

13. what a chump Feb 6, 2004, 01:40 space captain

Shit, do I even have to say it? I saw it comin, plenty of people here saw it comin... the man is a fucking moron when it comes to business dealings

"yes, im going to take on a giant multi-national corporation over a verbal dispute on the interpretation of a contractual agreement THEY CREATED... yes I will certainly win because I am the supreme ass commander"

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

12. True Lies Feb 6, 2004, 01:21 Camaro76

"When the law is on your side, argue the law. When the facts are on your side, argue the facts. When neither the law or the facts are on your side, hollar."

- Senator Albert Gore

---------------------------------------------
"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?" -- Dick Cavett
mocking the TV-violence debate

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

11. Re: No subject Feb 5, 2004, 23:28 John

No link? What good is this. How are we to find out more!

Here's a link: http://www.universalcombatgame.com/

...but where's the demo?

This space is available for rent

10. Re: No subject Feb 5, 2004, 22:47 Tigger

He lost the suit!

And is taking it rather well. And he's even talking about doing a demo.

I'm pretty surprised.

--
Tigger

Edit: He's not 'doming' a Demo, he's 'DOING' a demo.
This comment was edited on Feb 5, 22:48.

--
Tigger

9. As far as patches go... Feb 5, 2004, 20:14 Cpt. Piloter

...there's always the fanbase. Remember what happened with ToEE and the fanmade patches?

With a game from Smart, though, that could take two or three different turns.

1) Fanbase is too small to contain those with the talent to fix the game. Result: No patches.

2) Fanbase contains those with talent, but they don't want to besmirch their lord high tin god by implying his work has flaws. Result: No patches.

3) Fanbase fixes everything. Result: Patches.

Of course, there's really no way to know whether this game, as shipped, is going to turn out as a bug-filled execution of a good concept (Street Legal, anyone?) or a reasonable value title. (Which is about all we can hope for.)

Time will tell.

Athlon64 3200+/MSI K8T Neo/1 GB DDR-400 Corsair TwinX LL-PT/Radeon 9700 Pro/160 Gb SATA Seagate Barracuda/Playing X-Com and Commander Keen =)

8. No subject Feb 5, 2004, 20:09 Shadowcat

So Universal Combat is released too early by its publisher, and it's full of bugs just like the release of BC3K. Yet unlike every other similar situation where people would blame the publisher, everyone is going to blame the developer because he's Derek Smart and therefore it must be his fault for making a game with bugs.

I'm not a Battlecruiser fan (never played it), and I've seen some shocking behaviour from Derek, and I suspect I wouldn't like the guy if I met him, but that doesn't somehow mean everything is automatically his fault. From the sounds of that whole lawsuit deal, he won't be able to fix the bugs either, which basically sucks for him as well as everyone else.

p.s. I realise no one has been particularly harsh in this thread so far, but I was semi-anticipating some other responses!
This comment was edited on Feb 5, 20:28.

7. Re: No subject Feb 5, 2004, 19:50 DDI

He lost the suit!

6. Re: No subject Feb 5, 2004, 19:42 Enahs

I actually want this game to be good. I'm going to try it out then see if it's worth buying. BCM Gold was pretty good in my opinion.

Yes, I would love a demo! It could be good, anything is possible. It does have a lot of potential. But with Dereks track record, $20 is too much to spend if I have not played it.

_____
Enahs If you can read this - congratulations - You have won!!! Just e-mail with your CC# to claim your prize!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

5. No subject Feb 5, 2004, 19:33 Jamil

I actually want this game to be good. I'm going to try it out then see if it's worth buying. BCM Gold was pretty good in my opinion.

4. Re: No subject Feb 5, 2004, 18:44 Cyski

Um is it just me or was there no mention from Derek Smart(??) that it was gold a week ago?

That means they have released the beta which they had in December after all the shit a week ago

That man REALLY knows how to piss off publishers. Maybe he could get work as Simon Cowell's PR man - he seems to like being hated by everyone

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo