Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Stargate Game Plans

JoWooD Productions announces its 2003 annual results (thanks Frans) in a statement that also reveals plans for as-yet unannounced projects based on Stargate SG1 and another film/TV title:

JoWooD managed to establish and build several successful brands in 2003, in particular SpellForce and the Gothic Series. The continuation of this brand strategy will be a further success factor for 2004 and 2005. In addition to these company owned brands JoWooD will bolster its portfolio by games based on licensed film- and TV IPs such as Stargate SG1 in 2005 and another title based on a successful film IP scheduled for release in 2004 which is to be officially announced within the coming weeks.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: No subject Feb 6, 2004, 09:18 Zathrus

I'm interpreting his world-weary posturing as representing a tiredness for games based on TV series, based on movies

No, I think it was a tiredness of games based on any other entertainment medium. Let's face it -- they mostly suck. Or if they don't outright suck, they're just not very good.

The same thing goes the other way too -- has there been a good movie or TV show based on a video game yet? I can't think of one (someone will undoubtably point out one. And no, Tomb Raider isn't it.)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. connect the dots? Feb 6, 2004, 01:44 space captain

you guys forgot about this shit..

who is bringing us SG-1? Jowood.

who is bringing us Soldner? Jowood.

a very favorable cross pollenation? that would be sweet

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

44. Re: CRUSADER Feb 5, 2004, 20:23 Ryan

Ya Crusader crawled on my system. I was so disappointed too because I was really looking forward to it.

Maybe my current rig can finally play it..

43. Re: CRUSADER Feb 5, 2004, 20:22 Dwarf_Snowninja

Not all licensed games suck, if I remember correctly AVP was quite fun. Two wasn't great, but I remember playing both for hours with my roommates.
My fondest memories of the Crusader series were the fact that you could blow up just about everything on a map, desks, chairs, windows, walls, it didnt matter, and the bots, I remember taking out squads of guys using a V-Tron bot, god that was fun.

42. Re: CRUSADER Feb 5, 2004, 19:39 Uberzip

Crusader required 16mb of ram when I only had 8... how gluttenous... even pc gamer said it had high requirements.

Obviously our current technology is not ready for such a game.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 19:39.

41. CRUSADER Feb 5, 2004, 18:53 saturnine

The Crusader games were two of the best games ever! I remember wasting many nights on those... EA should revive the series!

40. CRUSADER Feb 5, 2004, 18:26 snide

Crusader: No Remorse was an amazing game. Man, that brings back memories. Wow, I wish someone would make one of those again.

dave snider
co-founder | guzzlefish.com
my dvd, cd, and game collections
http://www.guzzlefish.com/?user=dave

dave snider
comicvine.com

39. Re: Stargate Feb 5, 2004, 18:18 kyleb

Like to see a first person shooter game with that awsome P90 machine gun thats in the show.

umm, ever heard of counter-strike? or far cry?

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 18:19.

38. All licenses suck - or nearly Feb 5, 2004, 18:17 Falling

All licensed games are doomed to suck. THe developer is spending money and valuable resources on gaining and maintaining the license so there's less money and resources to spend on the actual game. They rely on the license to sell the game and not the gameplay so it's not as important to make it any good.

I know there are a few exceptions but not many.

37. Finally Feb 5, 2004, 17:55 Midnight

Stargate:SG1 is a perfect setting for a FPS, I've been waiting for an announcement like this for a very long time. Look at what SG has to offer:

- A wide variety of weapons including the Zat-gun (one shot stuns, second shot kills, third shot disintegrates)
- Enemies who take several shots to kill with regular guns (the show often has Jaffa getting hit multiple times before falling)
- A wide variety of bad-guys to choose from (not just Jaffa, there are heaps of different races to choose from like Unas etc.)
- Big alien ships to explore with control panels to hack into etc.
- mission briefings with fancy displays

These are all the ingredients of a classic FPS. Finally we have a franchise which actually fits the mold! All I need now is a Dr Who FPS (Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans etc.), Hey, the Brig even paved the way for a good Dr Who game when talking about their new ordinance in the episode 'Battlefield': "Tethlon coated with a solid core, would go through a Dalek. We have armour piercing rounds, exploding rounds, even gold-tipped bullets for 'you know who'"

http://www.davidcsimon.com

http://www.crimsondark.com

36. Re: No subject Feb 5, 2004, 17:47 amygdala

No.. GAMES based on TV series, based on movies...

Okay...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (For Game Boy Color)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wrath of the Darkhul King (for Game Boy Advance)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds (for PS2/XBOX/GC)

Hm. And then it gets hard. There was a Stargate game for the Sega Genesis and Game Gear (but not based on the TV show!)

There is a Star Wars: The Clone Wars TV show and a game of the same name, but they aren't related...

There was a Star Trek: Generations PC game, which was a game based on a movie based on a TV show...

35. Silent Storm Feb 5, 2004, 17:29 03YZFR6

Its ok but I want to see another Crusader: No Remorse game!
Now that was bad ass!

34. Re: Stargate Feb 5, 2004, 17:27 John Nelson

>Like the present day military vs. high tech alien concept

Okay, didn't like Stargate that much, film or TV series. But if you ever watched Farscape, this was answered. Basically, and I paraphrase,... we found out where you live, tell us everything you know.... No? We just destroyed where you used to live and everyone you used to know....

33. Stargate Feb 5, 2004, 17:21 Outlaw

Very good movie. Like the TV show even better! Best set of characters since Star Trek TNG. Like the present day military vs. high tech alien concept, and we give them a run for their money. Like to see a first person shooter game with that awsome P90 machine gun thats in the show.

32. Re: No subject Feb 5, 2004, 17:21 John Nelson

No.. GAMES based on TV series, based on movies...

This was prompted by the comment from Seenitall, "Man, a game based on a TV show that was based on a movie. This can't miss!"

Pardon me for deconstructing my statement but I'm interpreting his world-weary posturing as representing a tiredness for games based on TV series, based on movies. And especially, again based on his comments, because these games are generally bad.

I can think of 1/2 games based on Tv series..blah. Buffy 1&2 for the consoles. To the best of my knowledge neither were that bad, I never played'em but I heard only good things about them.

So, I'll call Buffy.. 1. Seenitall, give me 4 more. Hey, give me 1 more and I can give you 1 back. I could give you 2. The point is you don't know jack about games.

31. Re: No subject Feb 5, 2004, 17:10 4D-Boxing

This could be great if done well. I can see a FPS like system shock 2. They could give us the option to play Ine of the 4 characters from the show each with a different syle of play Jack all arround, Carter hacker, Jackson or Jonah as the stealth guy, and Teal'k as the Run and gun. All or some characters would join up and work together in certain sections in others you go alone.

I almost forgot, with the Gliders and other vehicules this could be awsome online.... MP5's, P90s, Zats, staffs, Even the big staff taken from the GLider( like in one of the episodes) plus all the current real world guns & explosives they've had on the show.
This comment was edited on Feb 5, 17:19.

30. Re: No subject Feb 5, 2004, 17:05 Nexus

I think it was a comment about levels of derivatives rather than the number of games based on tv shows based on movies.

What I don't think is factored into that is that the TV show was *better* than the movie, at least imo.

29. Re: No subject Feb 5, 2004, 17:04 amygdala

Is the question "name five SF TV shows based on a film"?

Crow: The Stairway to Heaven
Poltergeist: The Legacy
Robocop (several shows, eponymous in 1988 and 1994, plus RoboCop: The Animated Series, Robocop: Alpha Commando and Robocop: Prime Directives)
Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles
Starman
Stargate: Infinity (actually a spin-off of a spin-off!)

But like I said, not many of these are very good. Buffy and Stargate are exceptional.

28. Re: No subject Feb 5, 2004, 16:35 John Nelson

>Man, a game based on a TV show that was based on a movie.

Name five. I'm curious. So that's a game that was based on a... "TV show that was based on a movie."

27. Silent Storm Sci-Fi Feb 5, 2004, 16:32 amygdala

Oh yeah, a more SF take on Silent Storm would be a great mod. I'm currently loving the game, to the point of sleep deprivation. There are a few SF mods already in the works, of course. (Time will tell if anything worthwhile comes out of them.)

As for SF TV shows made from SF film concepts, I can't think of any good ones at the moment. There have certainly been plenty of bad ones...

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo