Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I never get tired of that Groundhog Day gag, sorry for the inevitable confusion it caused once again (I even got a call from my brother about the "error")... I guess this is the price of comedy. This page (linked yesterday) should fill in the blank for those who aren't following.

I destroyed some coffee equipment for the first time in quite some time this morning (you may recall this used to be a habit for me), as my coffee grinder stopped grinding mid-grind today. This is sort of a blessing in disguise, as this total breakdown had been preceded by a period of semi-functionality where it took longer to grind the beans than it did to boil the water (even if I slowed the process by applying the scientific principle of watching the pot). While I try to locate a proper grinder (recommendations are welcome) I picked up one of those cheap chopper dealies from the supermarket for my emergency java needs... that may not be true grinding, but the convenience is undeniable, as this chopping process takes all of 10 seconds rather than closer to 10 minutes with the failing grinder.

Play Time: The Simpson's Personality Test. Thanks Ant. I'm Lisa.
Differences. Thanks Sharon.
Link of the Day: Twelve Fingered Kids.
Stories of the Day: Glass windows an 'indiscriminate' bird killer.
Campus on a keyboard.
Science!: Age of Our Ancestors.
Gadgetry With Cars Attached.
Auction of the Day: F-A-18A Navy Blue Angel Hornet. Thanks Krav Maga Hawk.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

89. Re: Same Sex Marriages Feb 9, 2004, 18:36 Moog Operator

Sliv, you are so smart! I too am religious, but I call it Oddyseusanity. Basically, I found a really good novel book of scripture (actually two), called The Oddesy and The Iliad about 10 years ago and THEY CHANGED MY LIFE! Not only are there veiled references to mankind's core problems, but there are women, monsters, gods, immpossible happenings proofs of the gods, and really crappy, innaccurate historical references throughout. I have adapted the texts slightly by translating them from ancient greek to latin to french to early germanic to chinese to sanscrit and then to ancient english, polish, back to old english, then to new engligh, fixed a few historical innaccuracies, and changed all of the god`s to apostles of a single white man-god.
Basically when we die, if we have spilled the blood of innocents, we will go to Hades, which is like hell sort of, and if we are good, it isn't really explained where the hell we end up... no one is good - except Odyseus!. Also, I have derived my value system from the book, and believe it to be my responsibility to press these values onto every living human in the Universe, because, by Zeus notquitethe creator, if it was written before the bible, then Zeus (read god) obviously wrote the whole damn thing himself... though proxy of the selfish humans who would do nothing but everything to gain advantage over one another. And this human was named Homer. And Oddyseus is a guy... from the storys... who is gooder then the rest of the guys.
BUT WAIT!
The bible was written somethetime after this Original(tm) belief system of mine's creation and original penning... and a few if not all of the lessons and themes of christianity seem to have been usurped 100% (note: names were changed) from this "mythology" I hold to be the god's own words!
My point is this: Devote 10% of your prayer/bible study time to studying the ancient greek "mythology". All that subtle, god-inspired symbolism you talk of are all derivative of TOTAL bastardisation of greek and roman mythology... which you sure as shit had better start living, because GOD DAMN, WHAT IF THE GREEKS WERE RIGHT?
Bumper Sticker Ideas For Christians:
"If you are living your life according to Hades' will, and you don't think Hades exists, then GOD DAMN I HOPE YOU LIKE HELL, WHICH WAS RIPPED OFF FROM HADES, BECAUSE EVEN THE GREEKS WHO WROTE THEIR MYTHOLOGY BEFORE TIME WAS TIME ACCORIDNG TO THE BIBLE, WERE WRONG. ONLY CHRISTIANS ARE CORRECT, AND OUR LITERAL TAKING OF THE BIBLE MAKES US ALL SINNERS. WAIT A MINUTE... I HOPE I LIKE HELL TOO"
or
"I'm a complete idiot who seems to ignore the fact the bible comes nearly word for word from greek mythology, and who takes the bible as other than a storybook (which was ripped off from another very long story book)"
or
"Unlike the Greeks, who changed their mythology to coincide with discoveries of science, I choose to ignore hundreds of thousands of scientific facts which do not support creation and the existence of god becuase: A storybook stolen from another storybook which tells of a life beyond this one, where I get 38 unrelenting virgins to fuck me for eternity in a personal palace of gold if I fly a fucking airplane into the world trade center with a few hundred 'infidels' who do not believe every word I say and believe and who will rot in hell for their ignorance of Islam"
or
"

We cannot eat solar panels, nor solar power.
We cannot eat wind power, nor wind turbines.
92% of the world relies on eating oil, via fertilizer, pesticides, transport, and irrigation.
How long until oil is too valuble for farming?
www.dieoff.org

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

88. Re: Same Sex Marriages Feb 6, 2004, 16:50 sliv

And denying the logical proofs that exist outside of your faith? Science does not destroy religion. If your faith cannot exist without artificial support, then it isn't really faith now, is it?

I don't need proof to believe in what I believe, but many, many, many people I've encountered do, everyone wants to know that what they're putting their faith in is truly legit.

If you believe every word of the Bible to be outright truth, then you need to do some more bible research and start trying to explain some of the contradictions that are in it. Like how David slayed Goliath. Twice. Separated by many years.

I've done PLENTY of research on the Bible and throughout you'll see tons of symbolism:
"Take up your cross and follow me", "The Holy Spirit came down from Heaven as a dove", the list goes on and on. Just look at the book of Revelation and you'll see so much symbolism it's incredibly difficult to read. There aren't any contradictions, there were at one time over 60 known contradictions and since every one of those have been corrected. The research has already been done. . .

Oh, and I rather like those bumper stickers too. I don't believe in Hell (or Heaven for that matter), but that's no reason to be an asshole.

Look, I'm not trying to push my beliefs on you by any means, it doesn't work. Debates never got anyone anywhere when it comes to religion and you're standing pretty rigid on your own personal beliefs anyway. If you do have contradictions that you know of, I'd like to know about them and try to clear them up if you'd let me.

I've come across so many people that have the same beliefs as you do; I used to be one of them. I just truly believe now there's more to it than us ending up here solely by chance and the idea of being born, we live, we die and it's over; there's just so much more to life than that.

87. Re: Same Sex Marriages Feb 6, 2004, 14:02 Zathrus

Wow... that's some really, amazingly, stupendously bad science and "thought" on that drdino site. It's really, really scary to see people so incapable of rational thought buying into that kind of thing.

Faith is defined as belief in, devotion to, or trust in somebody or something, especially without logical proof.

So, uh, exactly why are you attempting to create logical proof then? And denying the logical proofs that exist outside of your faith? Science does not destroy religion. If your faith cannot exist without artificial support, then it isn't really faith now, is it?

If you believe every word of the Bible to be outright truth, then you need to do some more bible research and start trying to explain some of the contradictions that are in it. Like how David slayed Goliath. Twice. Separated by many years.

Oh, and I rather like those bumper stickers too. I don't believe in Hell (or Heaven for that matter), but that's no reason to be an asshole.

86. Re: Same Sex Marriages Feb 6, 2004, 09:17 sliv

he uses this “failure” to flaunt the creation theory, and apply it to humans.

Actually I've seen all 7 videos he's made. His "political tactic", as you call it, is actually to show clues as to why Creation actually happened, not billions and billions of years of slow evolution. Why? Not to mislead anyone, but if Creation did happen, and we were created by God Himself, then we are all accountable to what He has to say, i.e. the Bible. Most (if not all) people resist the idea of being accountable to anyone, especially to an all-knowing God. But since there aren't any 'burning bushes', they want to believe that we're on our own. Nobody likes the idea of Big Brother so if they just look the other way long enough, He may just leave you alone. Faith is defined as belief in, devotion to, or trust in somebody or something, especially without logical proof. Everyone wants proof (burning bush, fire from heaven) before they believe. . . that's not faith.

My two favorite "bumper sticker" quotes:
"The one who dies with the most stuff, still dies"
which leads me to
"If your living your life like there is no Hell, you better be right"

85. Re: Same Sex Marriages Feb 6, 2004, 08:40 Zathrus

This guy, how-ever is using the money to bolster his own claim. Since nobody has been rewarded the $250,000 he must be right, correct?

Yup!

Oh, I thought of something else too... you could offer $250k for empirical proof that the Earth is not the center of the universe.

Sure, you can show all kinds of equations showing that it makes a hell of a lot more sense if the Earth is orbiting the sun, which is orbiting the galactic center, etc., but that's not empirical proof. The fact is, it's impossible to provide empirical proof.

Evolution is just the Earth-at-center debate all over again.

84. Re: Simpsons Feb 6, 2004, 05:28 Armengar

WE WILL DELIVER FOR FUEL COSTS. DELIVERY MOST ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES IN HOURS

doesnt mean they will fly it. It may be hacked up in a container. Dont F18's have foldup wings?

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

83. Re: Same Sex Marriages Feb 6, 2004, 02:35 ExcessDan

I just want absolute scientific proof of Creationism.

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan

ExcessDan

82. Re: Same Sex Marriages Feb 5, 2004, 21:39 Enahs

www.drdino.com ->$250,000 to anyone who can prove evolution as empirical truth as opposed to another form of religion

This guy does not offer $250,000 for just proof of human evolution.
With all the facts and information, not hypothesis about human evolution, if you refuse to believe it, your are stupid and grasping to hard to you old ways. It is simple as that.

This guy, how-ever is using the money to bolster his own claim. Since nobody has been rewarded the $250,000 he must be right, correct?

The only thing is, he does not want proof that humans evolved from other forms, he wants proof that the whole universe evolved from something else, and not from god. This is the evolutionary proof he is looking for. Nobody has ever claimed to know were the universe came from, except people that say from god. Thus, by offering a reward for something nobody has even claimed other then religion/god theory, he uses this “failure” to flaunt the creation theory, and apply it to humans. This is a straight up political tactic, this guy is cheating, misleading, lying politician…that is all there is to this site…move on

_____
Enahs If you can read this - congratulations - You have won!!! Just e-mail with your CC# to claim your prize!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

81. Valcor Feb 5, 2004, 17:27 SH33P

I'm pretty sure that once certain components have reached the safe operation limits, there has to be some bit of jargon to describe this that escapes me now, those components have to be replaced. Basically, most of that aircraft is worth only scrap value. All components are rated to a number of hours. Then they're garbage. On a piece like the Blue Angel air show jet, i'm sure that EVERY piece has been stressed to within very small margins of recommended replacement. I'm not a professional, I just recall hearing a discussion at an air show about this very subject. But hey, one step closer to your own personal airforce.

80. Re: Same Sex Marriages Feb 5, 2004, 15:27 Zathrus

Hmm. . where did I hear of those laws before?

It's called the golden rule. Has nothing whatsoever to do with religion, God, or anything other than humanities capability to think beyond one's self. If you have to rely on religion as a crutch for your ethical and moral compass then I'm truely sorry for you.

www.drdino.com ->$250,000 to anyone who can prove evolution as empirical truth as opposed to another form of religion

Empirical truth? That's patently impossible in science. Stating such a thing is willful ignorance of how science works.

Oh, and if it makes you feel any better -- hypocrites are hardly limited to "religious freaks". Nor is everyone who is religious a hypocrite. At least, that's my experience.

79. Re: Same Sex Marriages Feb 5, 2004, 14:23 sliv

There is no logical argument against it. The only arguments that are ever used are based on religious beliefs, and that's exactly the slippery slope that we have to stay away from.

Is it wrong to steal? If I think it's okay to steal something from you, would that be offensive to you? My beliefs are infringing on your beliefs and others. . . If I think it's okay to have sex with your wife or girlfriend, is that okay too? Where does it stop? We have governed laws to protect from things like that happening. Hmm. . where did I hear of those laws before? There is something more to God than everyday knowledge has shown; history has proved that over and over again.
I'm vocal because it was vocal contrary to my beliefs and I wasn't going to turn a blind eye. I felt I needed to state an alternative view from a "hypocritical religious freak".

Some interesting reading:

78. Re: Same Sex Marriages Feb 5, 2004, 11:52 Zathrus

it seems to be the only thing that's intolerated in this world is the existence of God

No, it's the fact that some religious people (generally the most vocal ones) can't tolerate anyone saying anything contrary to their view of God.

Frankly, I don't care what your beliefs are -- as long as they don't impinge upon mine or others. I, and many others, are sick and tired of people trying to pass laws based on "it's a sin!". As one of my coworkers said yesterday, "I have relatives who are Amish and as far as they're concerned you're committing offenses against God left and right. Your clothes, your watch, your cellphone...".

And that's what it boils down to when it comes to same sex marraige. There is no logical argument against it. The only arguments that are ever used are based on religious beliefs, and that's exactly the slippery slope that we have to stay away from.

77. Re: GOD FUCKING DAMMIT Feb 5, 2004, 11:41 Zathrus

I view my work as only a method to achieve the things that are truly important to me.

Agreed, but don't get stuck in a job you hate. You have to spend roughly 1/3 of your life at work. If it's at a place you hate that's not going to bode well for the rest of your life.

76. Re: Same Sex Marriages Feb 5, 2004, 10:37 sliv

Same with the hypocrite religious freaks. I'd sooner trust my son with an average gay man, than I would a catholic priest.

Halsy, your #63 reply was dead on and I'm happy to fully agree with you.

I'm not sure why oh why everyone seems to put the always-present "hypocrite" in front of religious people (or "freaks" as you so clearly stated) and then there's the stereotype of a Catholic Priest as the bannerchild for Christianity. . . I don't understand that.
I thought twice about saying anything since Halsy says anything and everything that comes to his one-sided mind, but it seems to be the only thing that's intolerated in this world is the existence of God. And apparently everyone everywhere has this chip on their shoulder when it comes to their own spiritual beliefs.
I really don't want to make a huge flame thread out of this, but it bothered me that this statement was made and I felt I needed to say something.

75. Re: Same Sex Marriages Feb 5, 2004, 09:54 Valcor

Halsy, your #63 reply was dead on and I'm happy to fully agree with you.

Am I the only one that got Homer on the first try?

I find it hard to believe they will sell that jet for 850,000. Was their a reserve on it? Turbo props cost more than that.

74. Re: GOD FUCKING DAMMIT Feb 5, 2004, 09:34 nin

I view my work as only a method to achieve the things that are truly important to me.

Exactly...you worded it better.

What was that John Cusak movie?

High Fidelity...John had a good collection at home in that one. But I don't do vinyl...

http://www.jpnm.net/voodoochild/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

73. Re: GOD FUCKING DAMMIT Feb 5, 2004, 09:31 Bronco

and find happiness outside of work.

I would take this one step further and say find your self worth, reason for being, whatever, outside of work.

People that get stuck in the my career = me are depressing.

I still want to open a record store...one day, dammit. One day...

What was that John Cusak movie?

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

-TPFKAS2S

72. Re: GOD FUCKING DAMMIT Feb 5, 2004, 09:25 nin

I needed to vent. Sorry about that. I have no future in Computer Science. I suck at it and it pisses the hell out of me.

Bunko, the key is 2 things:

1. Always having someone else to blame.

2. Procrastinating until the issue is no longer an issue.

I mean, uh, or so I've heard...

The Dilbert Principle, while dumb, is very accurate. The morons get promoted, and there's empire building everywhere you look. The key is to be a small cog in the overall machine, and find happiness outside of work. Don't bother trying to find a fun job, since if it's fun, chances are you can't have it (I speak from experience).

I still want to open a record store...one day, dammit. One day...

http://www.jpnm.net/voodoochild/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

71. Re: Simpsons Feb 5, 2004, 09:16 Zathrus

People have to be nuts to spend 200k on building a house on some land when you can get one of these babies for less than 10k.

Yes, because living without running water or electricity is fun! Not to mention no bathroom, no walls, etc.

You can build the shell of a house for about $10k too. And one a helluva lot bigger than this (for $10k you could get a low end 30' dome, which gives you a lousy 700 sq ft; and that's 700 sq ft raw -- put in walls and living spaces and you'll lose about 20%). And that house will last considerably longer than 20 years too.

Buckminster Fuller was a genius, no doubt, but like many geniuses he was out of touch with reality. He tried to champion dome houses back in the 50s and failed miserably. Round walls pose "interesting" design challenges since it's impossible to do things like hang pictures on them, put furniture up against them, etc.

If you want a dome house, that's cool. They certainly do have some advantages. But don't kid yourself that you're going to be saving a ton of money -- that really isn't one of them.

70. Re: GOD FUCKING DAMMIT Feb 5, 2004, 01:44 JediLuke

It's okay, I'm not that good at music. Art is hard.

~Steve

89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo