Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

TRIBES Departure

TribalWar has news that brand manager Alex 'Marweas' Rodberg has parted ways with Sierra/Vivendi Universal (thanks Frans). The circumstances for the move are not detailed, nor is a source for the report listed, but they do have word that the new community liaison for TRIBES Vengeance will be Michael 'Scr8pin' Cowan.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: The Man of HW2 Infamy? Feb 5, 2004, 14:20 Yogi

This guy won't be missed? There wouldn't be a Tribes: Vengeance without him. His efforts got it green lighted. His efforts produced another T2 patch, etc etc.

BTW, the people who enjoyed the 64 player "experience" in T2 were a very very small minority.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: No subject Feb 5, 2004, 10:40 hkm

perhaps you should get a life instead of taking it upon yourself to right the wrongs of the industry in favor of game developers when you have ZERO connection to it

Or maybe I'm just sick and tired of crybabies who attack people for now reason.

Grow up.

23. Re: They're coming for you Feb 5, 2004, 02:41 Beaner

FuriousJodo,

Actually I hardly use the chaingun, My trick is more with gernades, sniper rifle and the good ole disc launcher. The chaingun is a standard staple of both Tribes 1 and Tribes 2. I can guarantee, and Im calling it right now, overheating the chaingun will piss off a lot of folks. I'm telling you its almost as bad as if they removed the jet pack which is inherently part of Tribes gameplay..

I guess we'll have to wait for the beta to see how the community responds.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 02:43.

22. No subject Feb 4, 2004, 19:26 werbwerb

Dac: Your post would actually be decent if you didn't use all of those 12 year old insults in it; it really makes you look like a little kiddie. Just some advice, if you want to be taken seriously.  
----
Some people risk to employ me...
Some people live to destroy me...
...Either way, they die.

21. Re: ... Feb 4, 2004, 14:26 4D-Boxing

Dac,
Grow up kid! If Marweas was as good as some claim and did his job he would still be there! With a comment that starts with" HW2 homogays stfu." lol i guess you're still in junior high! If Marweas did not know what to expect when dealing with gamers through forums well, that says alot about him. Anyways Marweas is out wich is good for all the gaming communities.

20. Alex is a douchebag Feb 4, 2004, 13:39 Bus Driver

However Vengeance turns out, it has nothing to do with Marweas, no matter how much credit he has tried to take for it. He's a marketing guy, not a developer, not a dealmaker. Vengeance obviously would have happened with or without him since T2 sold pretty well, despite falling short of expectations from hardcore gamers. He did not get along with the former dev team and had little sympathy when Dynamix shut down. I hope he rots.

19. No subject Feb 4, 2004, 10:13 space captain

perhaps you should get a life instead of taking it upon yourself to right the wrongs of the industry in favor of game developers when you have ZERO connection to it

i prefer a bit of noise to censorship, but then again I value and appreciate freedom - something you may not understand

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

18. Re: ITS CALLED HUMAN NATURE Feb 4, 2004, 10:08 hkm

so its not cool for others to bitch at devs, but it IS cool for you to bitch at them for bitching?

If the not-so subtle difference between assaulting a representative of a company which does something you disagree with and someone pointing out how stupid you look when you attack someone because the company they work for does something you don't like, then I guess you are the one who should get a life.

Bitching at devs accomplishes nothing, while me bitching at crybabies might make them get a damn grip and stop acting like morons.

17. Re: ITS CALLED HUMAN NATURE Feb 4, 2004, 10:03 nin

Where's that Marweas swf file? That was a riot...

http://www.jpnm.net/voodoochild/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16. Re: ITS CALLED HUMAN NATURE Feb 4, 2004, 09:57 Shataan

I just watched the IGNInsiders preview vid. The visuals are amazing. I am not real hip on having to play as a female character, but wtf ya gonna do? Some game devs must dream at night bout wearing womens clothing. rofl

I am all for helping to make learning the game an easier transition for nOObs, but I hope it is not so quake stupid easy to learn that we are gonna end up with dudes jumping on all the servers after 5 minutes of actual play time.

And I am not hip on any sport angle either, cause it sounds like a blatant rip from UT, as well as a selling ploy to ease parents minds so they can buy the game in good conscience for their under 18 crowd. "oh honey, we can buy this for little Jonny, as its really a sports sci fi game". LOL Sellouts.

Other than these things listed, T:V looks so far to be coolness. But the proof is always in the playing. Hopefully it recaptures Tribes 1 feel.

15. ITS CALLED HUMAN NATURE Feb 4, 2004, 08:07 space captain

so its not cool for others to bitch at devs, but it IS cool for you to bitch at them for bitching?

get a fucking life dude

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

14. Re: No subject Feb 4, 2004, 05:17 hkm

he was an Ass-hat who was most likely shown the door.

My theory is that it is people like you who got to him, and he had to quit to keep his sanity. People like you complain about everything. You get too caught up in your own little world, in your own perception of what the perfect game should be, and if things don't go your way, you start ferociously attacking any representative of the game company you can find.

If you are such a brilliant mind and have all the right answers, why don't you start a gaming company yourself? Since it's so easy and since your answers are better than everyone elses, why bother harassing others?

Get a grip and stop attacking people like that just because you disagree with the direction their game is moving in, or go away and start your own damn gaming company.

13. Re: The Man of HW2 Infamy? Feb 4, 2004, 04:35 Mr Gar

Itís going to be dumbed down but itís better than no sequel at all I suppose.

Sheds a tear for vehicle stations, sensors and 64 player carnage.

12. Re: The Man of HW2 Infamy? Feb 4, 2004, 03:41 Reggs

How important was a 64 player game? NOT IMPORTANT AT ALL! and whos choice was it to take it away, not Marweass. So next time you want to bitch about something so insucnificant being taken out of a game wich will be a AAA title, Dont!

TW hates you becauae your a turd burgler.

11. console-ation? Feb 4, 2004, 03:16 Panick

I just hope they wont pull a DX:IW on us...

--------------
Always expect the worst and you will never be dissapointed

10. No subject Feb 4, 2004, 03:02 WebDemon

he was an Ass-hat who was most likely shown the door.

9. ... Feb 4, 2004, 02:44 Dac

HW2 homogays stfu. I saw the thread he got mad at you guys.. all you faggits did was trash everything he did and tried to do for HW2... seriously you asked for like TV commercials and shit for HW2 and that it shoulda been shown more then HL2. Marweas is a good guy it seems and he worked pretty hard and actually communicated with Fan Forums unlike most other Company workers I've seen.

Btw enough about HW2 crybabies... Tribes rocks, and they are gonna make it rock.. partly with the help of Marweas... he helped get the team to fix tribes 2 with new modifications and bug fixing along with imho Getting KP a job with Irrational to help make Tribes:Vengeance. Everything Marweas and Thrax and the guys at sierra do is positive. I'm actually glad they are human beings at Sierra and will actually flame people that are obviously just bitching and whinning all the time about stupid shit. BTW how many Games have had Brand managers etc that where bigger fans of the games then them? That actually got involved in the community forums to an extent that they became just another member and could actually get people excited about Tribes and help keep the franchise alive.

anyway good luck Marweas and stfu to haters.

8. Re: They're coming for you Feb 4, 2004, 01:42 FuriousJodo

1. Letting the chaingun overheat and lock up...MAJOR mistake. You mess with the chaingun, disc launcher, and laser rifle too much youll mess up Tribes as bad as if you removed the jet pack all together.

- This actually sounds like a really good way to help balance the chaingun, it will reduce the amount of time you can chainwhore so you will need to be a little more accurate. They are giving the laser rifle a limited number of shots so that you aren't just camping a spot and sniping at people forever. The disc launcher looks pretty much the same and looks fine.

2. boost on the jet. Leave this for the mods. Just make sure skiing is as it should be.

- This is a thing that is really sketchy and I will wait till beta to really judge, but I think it will not be super dramatic and will not noobify the skiing in the game.

3. Having to access inv to obtain packs, weapons etc. Utilize the Tribes 2 concept where you can at least preselect your setup.

- We have no idea that there will not be some type of fast favs in the game. The inventory screen is a good thing for newer players of the game, and they haven't said anything yet, but I believe they will have a quick inventory system as well as the system that we saw in the press conference footage.

and what the heck is with the flying pod thingy...Leave the skriek as is a vehicle, not a lazy boy chair with boosters.

- First of all this is a prequel, and second of all the Shrike is a horribly unbalanced vehicle. It is extremely hard to kill, and can do lots of damage.

7. Re: They're coming for you Feb 4, 2004, 01:24 Beaner

Marweas will be missed, but perhaps some new ideas are needed to fix some mistakes from the past. I would say this to irrational...Please oh please dont dumb down the game too much this is NOT a console game.

The WOFN footage looked good...blurry but good. My only concern is that every damn time someone else comes along to improve something that was good in the first place they tend to make things worse.

Irrational is putting great care, hopefully in movement and feel, but Im not so hip on some things that are standard expectations from vet tribes players.

1. Letting the chaingun overheat and lock up...MAJOR mistake. You mess with the chaingun, disc launcher, and laser rifle too much youll mess up Tribes as bad as if you removed the jet pack all together.

2. boost on the jet. Leave this for the mods. Just make sure skiing is as it should be.

3. Having to access inv to obtain packs, weapons etc. Utilize the Tribes 2 concept where you can at least preselect your setup.

and what the heck is with the flying pod thingy...Leave the skriek as is a vehicle, not a lazy boy chair with boosters.

Ok other than that the game Looks good, but then again that what they said about Tribes 2 when it was in development.

6. Re: They're coming for you Feb 4, 2004, 00:58 FuriousJodo

For the most part all of the Tribes players that I know who have watched the WOFN footage are very pleased with the direction T:V looks to be taking. There are a few things that people are skeptical about because we haven't tried them ourselves or really seen anything about a feature to drag us either way. I for one am very excited about Tribes:Vengeance and think the guys at Irrational who have made excellent games in the past have the right idea, and they have a few very experienced tribes players on the design team who seem to listen to the community very well.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo