Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Q&As

• Starship Troopers
    The Starship Troopers Q&A on 1UP talks briefly with Strangelite about plans to create a first-person shooter based on the Heinlein-inspired movie, and why it definitely will not suck.
  • Turbine
    Warcry's Crossroads of Dereth's Zyrca Q&A talks with their former staffer about her work at Turbine, where she works as a systems engineer. They discuss her career and what she is currently working on.
  • RPG Roundtable
    RPG Vault's RPG Roundtable #4, Part 2 moves right along with: "Further comments reflecting developers' opinions on the games, trends, events and more of the year recently ended "
  • Dungeon Siege Movie
    The Dungeon Siege Movie Q&A on RPGDot talks with Dr. Uwe Boll about plans to bring the action RPG to life on the silver screen.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Starship Troopers Jan 25, 2004, 10:11 human

Actually, hump, ths protagonist in the book was of Filipino extraction. (He mentions toward the end of the book that he speaks Tagalog, one of the official Filipino languages, and he also refers to Ramon Magsaysay as a national hero.) But, yes, as you say, for a time when America was segregated, Heinlein was way ahead of his time. Notice also the Finnish, Arabic, Japanese, German, and other diverse nationalities of the soldiers in his novel. Definitely not your typica; white-bread narrow minded Flash Gordon story here. Too bad Verhoeven trashed all of Heinlein's diversity and reverted to an all-white cast for the movie. Of course, Verhoeven wanted to paint Heinlein as a Nazi, and wasn't going to get things like facts get in his way.

Xenos: I actually believe that a lot of the ideas in the novel are not just '50's-era' but are applicable today. The idea that citizenship requires some effort to get (and would be therefore valued more) is still a very relevant idea for many countries, especially ones that require civil or military service (Finland, Switzerland, Taiwan, to name a few). Whether Verhoven wanted to portray that or not, it wasn't particularly ethical of him to ignore that and turn it into a Fascist state. If Heinlein's society in Starship Troopers is fascist, then so must be all the nations I mentioned above that require civil or military service for citizenship. But to my knowledge, Finland, Switzerland, and Taiwan are all democracies, and doing quite well.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 10:14.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Starship Troopers Jan 25, 2004, 09:12 Hump

BTW- The novel is excellent, unlike the film.

The movie wasn't bad, it just wasn't very representative of the novel (for instance the protagonist is black in the book...pretty surprsing for the time it was written).

BTW, are those renders from the movie or is it supposed to be the game?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perhaps the answer to the perennial problem of delinquent teenagers dropping bricks from motorway and railway bridges is to sue the creators of Tetris."- unknown author
This comment was edited on Jan 25, 09:24.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

17. Re: Starship Troopers Jan 25, 2004, 06:43 John Nelson

spung...

Gotta love Heinlein.

16. Re: Starship Troopers Jan 25, 2004, 03:40 rist3903

'I enjoyed the first SST RTS. It did the small squad-based combat really well I thought, but was bug ridden and frustrating at times.'

I love it! a bugridden starship troopers game. Savor the irony.

and..

A Dungeon Siege movie? It will only work if they bring the inspiring depth of the characters that was in the game. I was on the edge of my seat, and couldn't wait to see what would happen next!

edited for spiffiness
This comment was edited on Jan 25, 03:45.

15. Re: will justice finally Jan 25, 2004, 02:31 4D-Boxing

human

IF only the people making the game would listen to what you have to say maybe just maybe we could get one of the best games of all time. Sadly the trend in gaming as of late has been to throw away all the inovations made in past PC games and ignore gamers requests, Often just to make sure it can also run on console.

14. Re: Starship Troopers Jan 25, 2004, 00:50 Xenos Overdrive

Anywaya all mechs and battle suits from Japanese anime or other SF sources are really based off of Heinlein's idea of powered armor, which was pretty much the first instance of such in literature (1959).

Which is really a genius science fiction convention because his rendition of the battle mech and the way he explained it made the most practical and coolest machine, even today. Yeah, Gundam's are cool, Eva's are just plain badass, but the power suit is just the pure menace of the bunch.

Ah, some of the political discussion was in the movie...but it was a bunch nonsense poking fun of 1950's era polital thought.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 00:54.

13. Re: Starship Troopers Jan 25, 2004, 00:44 human

None of the cool techy stuff OR the moral philosophical questions were in the movie, so, no it wasnt really inspired by the book except for character names and title.

The director said himself he never read the book before he filmed the movie.

12. Re: Starship Troopers Jan 25, 2004, 00:41 Xenos Overdrive

If these guys actually READ the book...it'll be good.

Heh, they said the game was inspired from the movie, which was definitely inspired from the book...with plenty of creative freedom mixed in. Hell, the film really had little to do with the literature save main characters and general backplot.

11. Re: will justice finally Jan 25, 2004, 00:32 human

Who cares about the 'movie license'. The movie was a deliberate parody of the book. Verhoeven is a fucking asshole for mocking a classic of SF.

A game done based on the novel itself would be very excellent. Dropping into combat from orbit in a personal space capsule, waging war in a damn-near one-man, very mobile tank suit. That would be grand!

Anywaya all mechs and battle suits from Japanese anime or other SF sources are really based off of Heinlein's idea of powered armor, which was pretty much the first instance of such in literature (1959). Even Cameron took much inspiration from Starship Troopers the novel, in the close-quarters combat vs. insectoid aliens and also Ripley's powerlifter, an industrial civilian version of Heinlein's powered armor.

10. will justice finally Jan 24, 2004, 21:11 Shataan

be done to a movie licence to game translation? I freaking hope so. The wait is still on for an AvP 3, done with uptodate hardware tech support. A properly done SST is gonna rock. I do wish they`d use SSTs character armor modelling tho. The quasi samurai armor kinda doesn`t ring true IMHO. But if I have to put up with it, let it be done. lol

9. No subject Jan 24, 2004, 20:44 The Half Elf

The game is based off the movie and animated series. Never seen the animated series but the eye candy looks very impressive, check out the latest PC Gamer

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

8. Re: Starship Troopers Jan 24, 2004, 20:11 MachineII

If these guys actually READ the book...it'll be good.

If they make this game as their version of the movie...God help them.

7. DS movie Jan 24, 2004, 18:43 The Truth

Dungeon Siege has a fantastic story and fantastic locations for a movie

Did that guy play the same game that i did?

------
Leading the "Support our Arrow keys" movement!

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

6. Re: Starship Troopers Jan 24, 2004, 17:55 Sadogoat

I didn't mind the SST RTS too much - finished it at least twice. It's biggest failings (IMO at least) were it's lack of skirmish and multiplayer modes - which seriously shortened it's longer term replayability.

5. Re: Starship Troopers Jan 24, 2004, 17:33 the_culture

From Strangelite's page:

What has Strangelite ever done for us?

Last year Strangelite converted the classic SEGA arcades Virtua Tennis and Crazy Taxi - since then it has been working on Empire's recently acquired Starship Troopers™ license.

BTW- The novel is excellent, unlike the film.

Alex
-----------
Spatial Fear
Director/Creative Designer
http://www.planetunreal.com/le/sf/

4. Starship Troopers Jan 24, 2004, 17:32 TheLeech

Try Heinlein's novel. It really is quite good.

3. No subject Jan 24, 2004, 15:55 The Half Elf

In the latest PC gamer there are some screen shots and despise not really liking the movie the game looks pretty damn good.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

2. Re: Starship Troopers Jan 24, 2004, 15:33 eunichron

I enjoyed the first SST RTS. It did the small squad-based combat really well I thought, but was bug ridden and frustrating at times. I would've liked to see someone take that game and build upon the mechanics to make a game worthy of the SST franchise. Going FPS with it just seems like a lazy cop-out. Y'know, when in doubt, make it FPS!

PS: Anyone know what Strangelite has done in the past?
This comment was edited on Jan 24, 15:34.

1. Starship Troopers Jan 24, 2004, 15:23 Sadogoat

It'll be interesting to see how that one turns out, given the first attempt at a SST game was cancelled (Microprose's third-person title) and the Hasbro/Bluetongue RTS was flawed. Will it be too much to hope that this attempt will actually be both FUN and DECENT?

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo