Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty and PunkBuster

Activision sends news of plans to include cheat protection in a future patch for Call of Duty:

We know concerns about cheating are a big issue in the fan community right now, so we wanted to pass along the following update: Infinity Ward has signed a deal with Even Balance to include PunkBuster for Call of Duty. As more information, including timing, develops on releasing PB support for Call of Duty, we'll let you know. Thanks!

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: ^Drag0n^ Jan 25, 2004, 10:06 Lactose The Intolerant

I am now convinced Zephalephelah is a troll, no one could think that was a decent retort.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: ^Drag0n^ Jan 25, 2004, 01:25 Rick

Zephalephelah--

I'm *hardly* a fanboy. But if you dig back into your quakeworld documentation, you might find out more of who I am.

Don't bother with personal attacks. People that do not know me are often under the mistaken impression that their opinion of me matters.

^D^

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 01:30.

43. Re: ^Drag0n^ Jan 24, 2004, 22:53 Zephalephelah

Fanboys crack me up!

42. Regarding PB.... Jan 24, 2004, 19:04 Rick

...I find no issue with them adding it to DoC. In fact, I applaud it. The best CoD servers right now are rampant with people using ESP, Ballhack, and cubehack. How easy is it to tell? just watch how your killer aims on the deathcam. I'd guess that well over 60% of the people that play the game cheat at it.

Does punkbuster have issues? Sure (I still have NO idea what causes the "Punkbuster O/S Exception Error" in Raven Shield), but evenbalance has done a great job at cleaning it up. The idea in cheat protection is the same idea as in copy protection: make it so most people won't bother.

Add that to the fact that they also add compromised CD keys to Global Server bans, they are also doing their part to cut down on piracy.

Punkbuster will never stop cheating, but it sure will par it down. Unless or until id makes it such that you can't replace opengl32.dll with a modified version in any Quake-engine game, it's really the only defense you have against people that write custom OpenGL filters that eliminate fog and let you look through walls.

As an interesting sidenote to those of you that ARE using cracked opengl32.dll files, beware. Many of the authors of these "hacks" use them as trojans to get your CD keys not only for CoD, but also as trojans into your PC.

Just so you know.

-^D^

41. Re: BewareDAnewbie Jan 24, 2004, 18:14 Rick

You post that like it's a bad thing. Business is just that. Business. If one wants to stay in business, they have to be sure that the margins on their product are significant enough to stay in business.

And, if you have at least half a heart, you have to make sure that you make enough mony to pay and support the employees, their insurance, and be able to pay any debts you might incur.

I find it utterly laughable that anyone would attack Valve, stating that they were "greedy."

Look at all the free patches, updates, mod tools, forum support, and even free game mods (Ricochet, classic deathmatch). Add to that the fact that they have actually hired talent out of the mod community (Team Fortress and CS devs), you really have no wind in your sails.

Don't like what you're paying? Fine. Don't buy it. Wait six months for the "gold edition).

But calling Valve a group of robbers is counter to what they have actually done.

Consider: they have been funding a game nearly five years in the making from *residuals* paid to them by Vivendi-Universal's Sierra division.

If you want to whine about price points, whine to Sierra. they're the ones that set MSRP.

^D^

40. Re: Public Notice Jan 24, 2004, 17:21 2coasts

this is terrible! punkbuster always causes hassles for us who dont cheat, creating tons of server/client issues..... GREAT, another thing that needs to be updated every 2 days, punkbuster is terrible!

39. Re: PB Jan 24, 2004, 14:23 markv

http://taurine.da.ru

there you go, sof2 cheat. aimbot, wallhack, non-detected by PB. this link is wide spread, and i've seen a myriad of clans using this all the time. It's quite disgusting really, especially when you're doing clan matches and you know the guy is wall hacking and aimboting. the person simply toggles aim on/off etc through binds while playing the game to try and keep things like accuracy down, etc.

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 14:23.

38. Re: Punkbuster sux Jan 24, 2004, 14:04 theAntiELVIS

How about the init failure bug. Y'know - the one that kicks you from a server because PB can't decide what to do, so it errs on the side of "you must be a cheater"?

I agree about a server needing to be well administered. This is why I avoid servers with "subscription admin" setups. When the admin is a cheater, they protect their cheater friends (Admin Federation is rife with this).

PB is better than nothing - that doesn't mean it doesn't suck. It would be good to see some competition in this market. Maybe someone can come up with a system that will automatically kick the wall hacks and aimbots.

-tAE-

37. Balance issues Jan 24, 2004, 13:34 Glutton

I've stopped playing COD for the time being. I'm waiting for all the balancing issues to be sorted out. I'll give you a little scenario. I'm standing behind the enemy with a K98, I shoot point blank into his mid torso area. Guy does a 180 and shoots me once with the Thompson in the torso. He comes out alive and I'm the one that's dead.

36. Re: Punk Buster Jan 24, 2004, 13:17 Soul Beaver

The server I was on was a clan server (sorry, don't remember the name). I suppose my experience could have been a case of an asshole admin "having fun" with the players. It certainly wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened. I just need to spend some time looking until I can find a server that's run by some decent ops. Nevertheless, I'm glad CoD is adding PB support.

35. Re: PB Jan 24, 2004, 12:21 Jim

The problem with PB is that is useless because it only stops the casual cheater. The real hardcore cheater find a way to cheat on every server independent of the anticheat protection used.

Another problem is that PB linux updater only works half of the time which result in many players complaining about outdated PB definitions.

My own experiences with PunkBuster (Q3A standard, CTF) have led me to regard it is more of a nuissance than helpful utility. It never actually stopped people from cheating, and it booted players that don't cheat (myself) or doesn't allow them to join games. All it seems to do is spam the console with useless status messages when you're trying to keep track of the game or any legitimate chat going on.

Jim

34. Re: Re: BewareDAnewbie Jan 24, 2004, 12:04 DG

And what the hell does this have to do with PunkBuster and Call of Duty, anyways?

since when did trolling & flaming have to be on topic?

33. Re: Punk Buster Jan 24, 2004, 12:02 DG

Soul Beaver, any invulnerability cheat would have to be installed server side (even just set sv_cheats 1), it is not possible to hack health or hitscan from the client in games with the Q3 engine.

Clients can abuse the Q3 engine's client connection settings to make themselves difficult to hit, but a cursory attempt by server admin to investigate PB's cvar restrictions and set them appropriately effectively removes this (all cvar restrictions have to be specified by the server admin, rightfully PB only provides the facility to do this).

32. Re: BewareDAnewbie Jan 24, 2004, 11:50 amygdala

Okay, to clarify the lack of facts from Zephalephelah. He wrote:

B: ... The average BlockBuster rents a movie out for more than $4. The average DVD rents about twice a week for 10 weeks, then once a week for 10 weeks, then 10 times. Thatís a lot of profit & its why Block Busterís keep popping up all over the place & why they can afford to send out all that advertising. They overcharge...

Um, Blockbuster is getting hammered by DVDs. People are buying more DVDs and renting fewer DVDs.

If you look here: http://biz.yahoo.com/e/031107/bbi10-q.html

You'll see that BBI lost 1.6 billion in the nine-month period ending Sept. 2002, but recovered somewhat in the quarter ending Sept. 2003. Income in the last reported quarter (Sep 03) was down slightly (2 million) but more tellingly, same-store revenues were down 7.5 % for the same quarter. They are expanding to keep revenues flat, while existing stores continue to make less and less money. It's simply not a growth industry anymore.

And what the hell does this have to do with PunkBuster and Call of Duty, anyways?

31. Re: . Jan 24, 2004, 11:25 BicycleRepairMan

too bad CoD is still spray and pray

i'lll sick to DoD thank you ver much

Do yourself a favour, drop both of them, and move on to Red Orchestra, I did. And I played DOD on a daily basis since beta 2.0. I also own CoD

There is only ONE real WW2 game.
http://www.unrealwarfarex.com/redorchestra/

30. CS 2 ???? Jan 24, 2004, 11:20 Brick

The popularity of CoD MP has taken me by surprise and is both a blessing and a curse. Either way it definitely needs PunkBuster!

I've never understood the mentality of a cheater. I've written most of them off as simply being immature but there is definitely a cheater culture out there, especially in CS, and I think a lot of them have migrated over to CoD. There are actaully cheat clans in CS that have tournaments against other cheat clans??? You'll often see kids pop up in forums looking for cheats because, "i jsu want 2 c how they werk im not gonna use dem" Cheaters are so prevalent in many of these games I can't believe none of them ever show up in these threads to bait. Cheaters are like people who are poor drivers. Everyone complains about bad drivers but no one ever owns up to being one -- "Uhm... yeah that was me guys... in the left lane... doing 70 KMH across the top of Toronto... holding everyone up and leading the conga line across the 401 this morning at rush hour... just in case you were wondering."

As of 10:30 Sat morn there are almost 16,000 players online in CoD and I've seen numbers as high as 20,000. They could be higher but I don't know because I've stopped playing due to the various play and cheat issues. A patch and PB will definitely have me back in the game though. Not that it really needs me with those numbers. MOH:AA never achieved this kind of popularity and CoD hasn't been out that long. Could this be the next CS until there is actually a next CS?

29. Re: BewareDAnewbie Jan 24, 2004, 11:06 Soul Beaver

LOL! I've never read such an incoherent lump of words before!

28. Punk Buster Jan 24, 2004, 11:04 Soul Beaver

Poster #1 - I completely agree! It's hard to believe that a multiplayer game could even ship these days without some kind of anti-cheat included.

Yes, I have my doubts about Punk Buster as well. The first time I played Enemy Territory, I enabled PB and picked a PB-enabled server. When I joined it was a complete mess! There were two players on the opposite team that had some kind of god hack. They were standing right in the doorway of our spawn killing all of us. I knew for sure he had some kind of hack because I went around the spawn building, stood right behind him and unloaded my entire clip into the back of his head. He never even flinched - it was like he didn't even know I was there. I reloaded and put another clip into the back of his head. Nothing. At that point I knew he was cheating. I completely sympathise with PB and how difficult it is to keep up with cheating technology, but as it is now, it can't provide a server free from cheaters. The best way to keep a clean server is to have attentive and responsive admins. But that's a full-time job.

27. Re: BewareDAnewbie Jan 24, 2004, 11:00 Zephalephelah

I spit in your face you have no clue you say this and you say that but you say nothing you are a little girl crying into the wind while superman pisses at you and no one cares about you and you have no friends and you can't get laid you are a pathetic little girl whining little fanboy Valve sucks and they couldn't put their game out on time because they are retarded and you are retarded which is fine because you make the rest of us look good keep going bewarednewbie because you live up to your stupid little name and you really like valve too much you pathetic little girl fanboy bitch ass fucktard but fear not we still love you because when you post something anything it always makes us laugh oh and we aren't laughing with you we are laughing at you but we really love you nubbie we really really do so don't cry and don't be a little girl anymore just come out of the closet and tell everyone that its okay to be gay because we have always known anyway and being gay isn't wrong just like being black isnt wrong unless you are a gay bashing racist asshole like nubbie girl here oh we don't mind we love nubbie bubbie you are the greatest we love you you always have such incredible insight you go girl nubbie bubbie nibble binnle oh you are soooooooooooooo cool

26. Re: BewareDAnewbie Jan 24, 2004, 10:52 Zephalephelah

Let's take a look at at BewareDnewbie, shall we?

I've listed facts. the boy can't handle it. He bumrushes out with anger because he knows that he has been beaten down. But no one cares. No one cares about this little child BoweevelNoobie.

I don't care who you flame boy BoweevelNoobie. If you picked your nose and the booger came out, your head might implode & then we would be robbed of your tiny little thoughts from your tiny little brain. Oh what a great loss that would be. the whole world would mourn your passing.

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo