Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Juiced Announced

Acclaim Entertainment, Inc. Gets Under the Hood With Juice Games for Exclusive Global Publishing Rights for 'Juiced' is the press release announcing plans for a next generation racing game due this fall on the PC, PS2, and Xbox. Here's a bit on this fast and furious drive into the culture of street racing, stickers, spoilers and all:

"'Juiced' is not just another handsome racing game, it is a full extension of the culture that embodies street racing," said Rod Cousens, Chief Executive Officer of Acclaim. "Today's racing enthusiast wants more than just the control of the steering wheel; they want to fully personalize their experience, from the drivetrain to the decals. "Juiced" will give players the opportunity to go from artist to overdrive and test their mettle online in one of the best head-to-head racing experiences ever brought to the next-generation platforms. Gentlemen, start your engines!"

On a related note, Computer And Video Games' Juiced Q&A (thanks Frans) is already online, chatting with Juice Games' Don Whiteford, and offering the first screenshots from the project.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. No subject Jan 23, 2004, 19:03 Chunk

There's a huge difference between open wheel racers like those and street cars. Namely the weight. I don't know how much AMod cars weigh, but it's a heck of a lot less than any street car, and so the effect of downforce is going to be more.

If someone showed up in a class like mine (CS, although I skipped CenDiv this year) with a Batwing on the back of their car (heck, people have :/ ) they'd be laughed off the track. There's no way that your typical riceboy wing on the back of a Civic is going to improve your times at autocross. Your $200 would be better spent on an alignment and a clue.

You certainly could reach a speed where downforce would be useful in a Civic, but you'd have to have some serious suspension tuning to make rear downforce useful. I doubt the ideal autox setup for a Civic is one that would even make a spoiler useful. Even if it were useful, for autocross the money is better spent on suspension and tires. Granted, for street posing a spoiler is better; nobody will notice your suspension in a stoplight race, after all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Spoilers Jan 23, 2004, 10:14 TheLeech

I was trolling the first guy. Spoilers and/or wings start to work around 45 mph. See the SCCA Solo II AMod cars.

Scroll through the gallery for an idea: http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/nationals/2003/results/wednesdaygallery/index.html

It was long thought that at average autocross speeds, between 30 and 60 mph, wings and spoilers were worthless. The AMod cars started showing with front and rear wings and were even faster. Hell, IIRC the top guy even had his car tested in a wind tunnel.

I do agree that the vast majority of the spoilers and wings seen on modified cars are useless and only installed for "the look." But to make blanket statements such as a civic being incapable of attaining a speed where the spoiler is functional is silly.

22. No subject Jan 23, 2004, 01:42 Chunk

The sherrif thinks the guy got in trouble due to way too much power? Dollars to donuts the guy had cut springs, nailed the bump stops from the weight transfer while trying to keep the torque steer under control, and was slightly off-center, sending him darting off the road.

Regardless, nothing is going to stop kids from racing in the street. It's just too bad when they don't survive long enough to realize how dangerous it is. I was lucky enough to learn before I wrapped myself around a pole.

21. Jesus Got Juiced Jan 22, 2004, 23:54 Camaro76

Yeah, well this CRX got 'modded' alright.

http://www.nbc-2.com/News/stories/040121-streetrace_death.shtml

Here's the money quote:

He says they were influenced by the movie "The Fast and the Furious" but he now has a warning for others.

"Life is not like a movie," Griff said.

Yeah, ya gotta stop living your life a quarter mile at a time, you know?

Idiots. x|

---------------------------------------------
"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?" -- Dick Cavett
mocking the TV-violence debate

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

20. No subject Jan 22, 2004, 23:23 Chunk

They can't call it torque, cause none of the econoboxes in the game HAVE any torque!

I wish someone would stop measuring GT3 as the mark to hit for a realistic racer. It's really not all that realistic.

BTW, about spoilers... it varies depending on the spoiler, but your average spoiler isn't going to do much except cause drag until around 100MPH. That is, assuming it's trimmed for downforce, which 99% of the spoilers out there are NOT. To add insult to injury, they also add weight to the back of the car, which is not really what you want in your average massively-understeering front-drive econobox.

19. Re: Are you juiced yet? Jan 22, 2004, 20:02 LordSteev

Why don't they just call it 'Torque, the game'?

LOL, how fucking stupid.

-LordSteev

Supporter of the "Unleash the Fredster!!" Fan Club

18. Re: Fart Tips 'n Performance Chips Jan 22, 2004, 19:53 Rico

Thats the Honda Civic Type R, and looks extremely cool when modded. That pic makes it look a little weird, but then again all the screenies from this game look very "alpha".

17. Fart Tips 'n Performance Chips Jan 22, 2004, 19:12 Camaro76

I can't take a car like this seriously as a racer...

http://makeashorterlink.com/?X30961827

What's next, Minivan Madness? Extreme Yugo Underground Type-R Racing?

---------------------------------------------
"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?" -- Dick Cavett
mocking the TV-violence debate

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

16. As yoda would say.. Jan 22, 2004, 18:18 The Half Elf

"And begin the 2 fast 2 furious clone wars has"

First it was WW2, now it's switching to Vietnam and Street Racing games.

BAH screw it all just let me load up FarCry again and sit on the pretty bright beach and enjoy throwing rocks at the fish's

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: Great! Jan 22, 2004, 17:52 Michael Bolton's hair dresser

Now I can experience the fun of working in the food services industry in order to buy that rad new spoiler for my 98 Honda Civic, despite the fact that the car can NEVER go fast enough for a spoiler to be useful. This is truely a wonderful time we live in

LOL I know what you mean. The other day I saw one of those POS neon plastic ricers with 3 tachometers! Why in the hell would anyone need 3 tachs in a cheap ricer? Who in the hell are they trying to impress?

And don't get me started on their taste in "music".

Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

14. No subject Jan 22, 2004, 17:03 space captain

WOOOOOOO!!

haha, YEAH!!

WOOOOOOO!

haha, YEAH!!!

WOOOOOOO!

haha, YEAH!!!

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

13. Are you juiced yet? Jan 22, 2004, 16:59 Creston

Because I am!

Yawn.

Creston

12. Re: Great! Jan 22, 2004, 15:55 XEON

Based on playing a version of their Lamborgini demo @ ECTS last year though I'd say they understand what it takes to get the handling right in a race game. NFS:U is just piss poor and waaaaay too shiny to be decent

===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

11. Re: Great! Jan 22, 2004, 15:51 Rico

This game = Need for Speed : Underground?

Atleast by the description it sounds exactly the same

10. No subject Jan 22, 2004, 14:33 space captain

i think its funny people still consider politicians human, or capable of human reasoning

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

9. Re: Spoiler Jan 22, 2004, 13:26 Jaenos

Wow, and just after the State of the Union when the president condemed steroids specifically... good title!

Oh and isn't it funny that Bush is against the juice when, technically it enhances people, while he wasn't against the coke that usually does nothing but destroys the person?

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 13:27.

8. Re: Spoiler Jan 22, 2004, 13:09 Pimp Daddy

Juiced is a new game where you play Barry Bonds and you have to try and hit as many homeruns as you can without:

Going into roid rage.
Getting caught by George "roids are bad" Bush.
His gigantic head exploding.

7. Re: Spoiler Jan 22, 2004, 12:54 ZzeusS

Stickers make your car go faster.

6. Re: Spoiler Jan 22, 2004, 12:15 Vincent Murphy

http://www.che.lsu.edu/courses/3101/fall03files/GP2/group17.pdf

More info about spoilers.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 12:16.

5. No subject Jan 22, 2004, 11:44 Fletch

"Juiced"? I like "Riced" better.

Fletch

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo