Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy: Silent Storm

Silent Storm Ships To Retail is the press release from Encore, announcing that the World War II strategy/RPG is now available in North America. Here's a bit from their description of what's being offered:

Gamers choose to play on the side of the Axis or Allied forces, select their squad, and customize their characters from over 40 male or female operatives. Each squad member can be created from a variety of nationalities, and will possess a unique personality, background and in-game dialog. Player units will also benefit from a rich character development system, with 9 preset skills for each character, and over 50 skills that can be developed throughout the course of the game. This enables players to use their own game style, from brute force to cunning stealth. With over 75 authentic WWII weapons, the path to victory unfolds through a campaign of 24 non-linear daytime and night missions, and includes randomly generated encounters of varying styles and difficulty.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: this game is great. Jan 22, 2004, 20:15 Ryan

FYI if you open the console (hit ~) and type "multiplayer" it brings up a hotseat interface. Use 4412,4413,or4414 for the map.

Check the s2hq.com forums for more info (that's where I found that little tidbit).

Gonna have to install in a spare cubicle at work and play an office hotseat game...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. this game is great. Jan 21, 2004, 22:51 nmg

that is all

NMG

---
Not My Golf ball{

NMG

---
Not Much Good

26. Re: Xcom conversion Jan 21, 2004, 11:09 Duc

Oh god it would be sweet. Confession;
"I built voodoo dolls after playing UFO: aftermath".

25. Re: JA2 vs. SS Jan 21, 2004, 10:37 nin

OK, now that I've ordered this...Could someone PLEASE do an X-Com TC? NOW?!

Thanks!

http://www.neworderonline.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

24. JA2 vs. SS Jan 21, 2004, 10:30 N

I really liked JA2, don't get me wrong. Seriously and truly, I did.

However, I didn't really much care for the aspects of having to train the militia, and having soldiers sit and 'learn' to get stats and abilities up. I also thought that, given the provided amount of "stuff" (junk, guns, etc) -- that getting to and from places that could sell it (or at least store it neatly) was a bit too much of a pain in the ass.

I have a feeling I'll enjoy this game quite a bit, as there aren't any militia/occupation type gameplay elements, and I don't believe you have to have as large a team/multiple squads, either?

Anyway, can't wait to get this puppy.

23. Recommended Jan 21, 2004, 10:20 Troll

I recently finished this (the german version).

The gameplay / combat is awesome! There is a mission where one has to retrieve some documents from a building thats full of booby traps. Its cool to just have someone trigger a mine, and when the *entire building* collapses in a massive chainreaction of explosions, get the documents from the rubble.

However, because everything can be destroyed, sometimes characters get stuck in basements and can't get out again. (They can climb out if they have something to grab on to, but this is not always the case.) Its good to check for these situs w/o waiting until the end of the mission.

Mild criticisms: The story is a bit uninspired, the characters not as strong/funny as JA2, and the ending is unspectacular. Plus, maybe I just didn't get it, but the scouts seem to be useless.

Fallout 3 with this engine would have ruled. :-/

I can't wait for the expansion pak.

22. Its cheap too. Jan 21, 2004, 10:12 Duc

going for £10.64 inc p&p on amazon

21. Fun Stuff Jan 21, 2004, 02:37 Da Stylin' Rastan

Speaking of TBS, has anyone tried the new Urban Chaos TC for Jagged Alliance 2? The voice acting and cutscenes *suck*, but the updates are so top notch that I am completely addicted to JA2 again. I'm going to have to peel myself away from it to play the amazingly excellent Silent Storm, but it sure is fun.

-DSR <--Feels like a heretic among his 0Mg d00dz counterstrike "friends" with his snobby turn-based unwashed heathen self.

20. Re: No subject Jan 21, 2004, 00:26 MeatForce

it'd be nice if I could issue commands for multiple soldiers while paused...

You can select multiple characters by either shift-clicking them one by one (either on the map, or by using their tabs), or drag-selecting a group. Then you can issue commands to all the characters you've selected (for obvious reasons, not all commands will be available when more than one character is selected).

This game is more than a worthy predecessor to the "Kings" of the turn based genre.

It's so good it came first!

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

19. Re: Professional Jan 21, 2004, 00:23 PHJF

Oh its not bad, it just isn't ultra smooth.
I have everything cranked except FSAA (that's a real fps killer in this game).

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: Professional Jan 20, 2004, 23:25 OneNightStand

Try switching off tree crown,or the tree foliage,that should speed things up quite alot although the trees will bald. And Lighting quality is another major killer,try to play around with that variable. And always use the antialiasing/aniso settings in the game options instead of forcing it thru drivers,that will be counterproductive.
Massive chain explosions usually cause stutter,regardless of machine spec,due to the physics calculations i presume.

That's all i can think of at the moment.

Buy this game,if u even remotely enjoyed Jagged Alliance,XCom or Fallout Tactics. This game is more than a worthy predecessor to the "Kings" of the turn based genre.

17. STRATEGY GAME OF THE YEAR Jan 20, 2004, 22:52 Paranoid Jack

I would vote it both Strategy & all around Game Of The Year right now.

If they would have released in North America Q4 of 2003 they would have had a few award without a doubt. No telling this early in the year if people will remember this one come December. But I know I will. I have been playing it as much as possible. And it is amazing.

http://www.s2hq.com/articles.php?lng=en&pg=201 (Main Page)

http://www.s2hq.com/articles.php?lng=en&pg=50 (Camera Config Page)

Get the info to reconfig the camera and play with the settings to suit your machine. Being able to zoom in to just above ground level is awesome and helps with LOS decisions.

Some of my new favorite moments are using the sniper panzerklien to take out enemies. When hit they usually going flying through the air and hit the wall or ceiling behind them bouncing off before dropping dead. Wait until you see it I would bet fifty bucks that you will catch yourself saying something like... "WOW, that was cool!"

I know a lot of people don't like the sci-fi blend but so far I found it the most exciting. I can't tell you anymore without spoiling some of the surprise. So I won't. But I got to say this game is simple amazing as is... this baby will be a classic TBS for years to come.

Can't wait for the European release of Sentinels, the add-on. I will pre-order mine from the UK if the NA release is not the same or close....

EDIT: Play by e-mail would be awesome but multiplayer would be even better. Hell why can't we have both in the sequel?

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 22:56.

16. Re: absolutely stunning combat engine Jan 20, 2004, 22:19 Beamer

Play-by-email is too niche, I doubt they'd put the time into it.

X-COM pbe was fun. LSN is even better.

I still need to buy that.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. No subject Jan 20, 2004, 22:08 PHJF

I only have a few problems with it so far...
For one, the engine stutters a bit. I have an athlon 2000 and ti4600 and a gig of ram, so that's kind of odd for a game like this... it is very pretty to look at, though.
Also, it'd be nice if I could issue commands for multiple soldiers while paused...

Other than that, I can't seem to find anything to troll at. Very fun game, especially if you loved Fallout Tactics. Which I do love. A lot. More than you can ever imagine.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: absolutely stunning combat engine Jan 20, 2004, 22:00 Ryan

Hopefully it will affect publishers to actually RELEASE TBS games.
If there is a god.

Actually, if there's a god he'll appear in a vision to the Nival guys and tell them the world is ready for MULTIPLAYER tbs games.

I would shit my pants for a play-by-email version of this game.

13. Re: What Stores? Jan 20, 2004, 19:11  Shekina 

It'll be in the EB and GameStop stores tomorrow/Thursday and in the Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA and Fry's store next week.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 19:12.

12. BFV Jan 20, 2004, 18:58 Yummysnake

The demo is great. I had a hell of a good time playing it. It's not revolutionary, it's not game of the year, it's just fun, fun, fun.

Can anyone who already has it tell us if the editor is easy to use?

11. No subject Jan 20, 2004, 18:30 space captain

tommorow I would guess...

oh, and for those of us who imported (as if you didnt know already):

http://www.nival.com/eng/pr031125_e.html

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

10. Street date? Jan 20, 2004, 18:15 Unmaker

So when can we expect to see this baby on the shelves?

9. What Stores? Jan 20, 2004, 18:15 amygdala

I'm keen to buy this game. Which stores are carrying it?

Seems a little too niche for Best Buy or Wal-Mart. What about EB, or Software, Etc.? Are they carrying it?

I'll be upset if I have to mail-order it.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo