Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Before I got our walk cleared here, we were actually visited by a couple of young men looking to earn a couple of bucks by shoveling for us. I cannot believe it, but I believe this is the first time this has actually happened to us here, and this is our fourth winter in this house. When I was a kid we would race out with our shovels looking to pick up some work as soon as the snow started sticking. I wonder how kids today can even afford their first piercings!

Links of the Day: Stone Trek. Thanks Ant.
Dictionaraoke. Thanks Zoomba.
Stories of the Day: Caltech makes green off red planet rovers.
Two newspapers substitute "B.C." comic strip.
Science!: Subconsciously, Athletes May Play Like Statisticians (registration required).
Mental Muscles of Steel.
Experts Try Fast-Track Fix for Children With Phobias (registration required).
Images of the Day: Shuttle Bus. Thanks Ant.
UserFriendly. Thanks Ant.
Guitar - Larrivee Movie Clip. Thanks Jeraxle the Mad Scotsman.
Auctions of the Day: Jacko Lantern. Thanks Dan Leadbetter.
WORLD'S LARGEST TWN ENGINE 2-WHEEL MOTORCYCLE. Thanks Ben Lowry.
Follow-ups: Judge allows sonar whale tests despite protests.
New Moon: Planning the Return to Space (registration required).
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
83 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

83. Dan Jan 22, 2004, 16:26 SH33P

Try Lavasoft ad-aware 6. It's a free download at the website and works nicely.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

82. Re: Help Jan 21, 2004, 11:35 Bronco

Seriously, what is the big deal if people of the same sex want to get married? It certainly doesn't effect me.

Before I answer this I want to say that I'm in favor of anyone being able to get married. I'm tired of hetero people being the only people to enjoy divorce court. That should be a pleasure extended to all people regardless of their sexual orientation.

Now, I would say that extending the benefits afforded to married couples to any couples that claim married status would raise the costs associated with keeping a person employed and impact future wage increase. You can pishaw that but when I go over rate increases for our guys I take into account how much we spend on benefits.

Is it fair? I don't know, but that is how it works here and I imagine many other places as well. I know some places that acutally give money back to people that have spouses that do not use any benefits.

Still, I'm in favor of everyone being able to pay lawyers to disolve their failed unions.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 11:35.

-TPFKAS2S

81. Re: Help Jan 21, 2004, 10:49 ExcessDan

no luck :'(

i hope it's something with the ISP and that they'll fix by tonight so i can webcam with the h0t 1n73rn37 h035

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan

ExcessDan

80. Re: Help Jan 21, 2004, 10:45 Valcor

Unsurprisingly, Bush's speech talked about zero real issues. Seriously, what is the big deal if people of the same sex want to get married? It certainly doesn't effect me. Who's getting hurt here, the institution of marriage? Please, as if men, women and lawyers haven't already smeared that to hell.

Why doesn't the gov't just admit they don't want it to happen because they are worried it will get abused for the tax breaks. (which are minor) That is the only plausible argument against it. And the "Death Tax" will be back as sure as, well, death and taxes.

79. Re: Help Jan 21, 2004, 10:41 nin

Also run msconfig, and check the Startup tab...

http://www.neworderonline.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

78. Re: Help Jan 21, 2004, 10:37 ExcessDan

Ya, that's usually the first thing I do but it's hard to know what the taskmanager is running.

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan

ExcessDan

77. Re: Help Jan 21, 2004, 10:34 nin

Check your process list, and if you don't recognize an app that's running, do a search for it on your system, and in google...

76. Help Jan 21, 2004, 10:26 ExcessDan

Hey, I need a bit of help. My usually stable Internet connection is on the fritz. I did the check for spyware with no improvements. Anyone know a name of a util that I can see if there are programs using the net on my computer and what they are? I don't want to call and complain to tech support until I know for sure that the problem isn't on my end.

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan

ExcessDan

75. Re: YES! Jan 21, 2004, 10:19 sliv

They do. People that read OotB are looking for off the gaming path stuff.

I guess that's the reason why I never get any replies to the actually pc/gaming related questions I ask. For a minute there I thought I was just being ignored.

hullo?. . . anybody there? . . is this thing on?

74. Re: halsey Jan 21, 2004, 09:20 Zathrus

What I find funny right now is Bush is somehow managing to piss off both sides. The conservatives are going nuts with the immigration initiative he's pushing and the libs are going nuts for the usual reasons.

Bush owns the right -- who else are they going to vote for? Even the extreme right wackos (like Pat Robertson) have dropped out of the 2004 race and endorsed him.

It's pretty clear that the Republicans are worried about '04 though -- they're buying votes left and right (Medicare, Amnesty), continuing to beat the 9/11 drum, and generally trying to bring the center to their side. I honestly have no idea if it'll work or not -- I actually agree with Halsy here, this is going to be a very dirty race. I also think that Clarke needs to be on the ticket for the Dems to have a chance.

BTW, Bush has lied -- namely about any link between Al Qaida and Iraq. Yes, Hussein was a despot, a madman, and not a real nice guy. And yes, we set him up in power (primarily to counteract Iran and Soviet influence in the ME -- a despot was a better option than a Soviet puppet state; Iran was a puppet state prior to the revolution, and was still backed by the USSR afterwards. A despot was also a better option than a fundamentalist regime in Iraq. It very often is a choice between evils, none of them clearly lesser than the others), so you can make an argument about it being our responsibility to get rid of him as well. But if we're going to go down that road then we're also going to have to clean up most of South and Central America and good parts of SE Asia -- which I don't see happening. It was a major mistake to invade Iraq, and the next president is going to have to clean up our international reputation. If Bush is reelected then I'm considerably more worried about what's going to happen a decade or two down the line as we continue to alienate our allies and piss off trade partners. Our economy simply cannot sustain itself in isolation.

73. Re: YES! Jan 21, 2004, 08:58 nin

I'm not a big fan of rum. I don't know if I've posted my rum story here or not but pretty it isn't...

Pineapple rum and orange rum, man...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

edit: Bacardi O you can drink straight out of the bottle...

<nin begins to drool>
man, I gotta be at work for 8 more hours now...

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 09:00.

72. Re: YES! Jan 21, 2004, 00:21 eunichron

General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Yes, Jack?
General Jack D. Ripper: Have you ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Well, I can't say I have.
General Jack D. Ripper: Vodka, that's what they drink, isn't it? Never water?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Well, I-I believe that's what they drink, Jack, yes.
General Jack D. Ripper: On no account will a Commie ever drink water, and not without good reason.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Oh, eh, yes. I, hmm, can't quite see what you're getting at, Jack.
General Jack D. Ripper: Water, that's what I'm getting at, water. Mandrake, water is the source of all life. Seven-tenths of this earth's surface is water. Why, do you realize that seventy percent of you is water?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Uh, uh, Good Lord!
General Jack D. Ripper: And as human beings, you and I need fresh, pure water to replenish our precious bodily fluids.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Yes. (He begins to chuckle nervously)
General Jack D. Ripper: Are you beginning to understand?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Yes. (More laughter)
General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake. Mandrake, have you never wondered why I drink only distilled water, or rainwater, and only pure-grain alcohol?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Well, it did occur to me, Jack, yes.
General Jack D. Ripper: Have you ever heard of a thing called fluoridation. Fluoridation of water?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Uh? Yes, II have heard of that, Jack, yes. Yes.
General Jack D. Ripper: Well, do you know what it is?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: No, no I don't know what it is, no.
General Jack D. Ripper: Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face?

For some reason I can only drink vodka straight. I think it was the time I had vodka with cranapple juice, after that I just could not stomach any vodka mixers.

71. Re: YES! Jan 20, 2004, 23:22 Enahs

But I'm more partial to the hard stuff.
If I'm doing the hard stuff I stick to Jack and ginger or Jack and water.

Hard stuff, you need nothing more then this! Ok, so you do, but this is the damn best I ever had. It is great having a roommate that is a manager of a liquor store!
http://www.zyrvodka.com

_____
Enahs
http://www.petitiononline.com/Grammar/
You are not signing this post, shut up about my grammar you can at least read this without straining your eyes, go proof read your mother!
This comment was edited on Jan 20, 23:23.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

70. Re: halsey Jan 20, 2004, 23:20 Bronco

PS: I've just been busy of late, Bronc.

No biggie, just tweaking you.

PPS: STOTU Speech was just nauseating.

What I find funny right now is Bush is somehow managing to piss off both sides. The conservatives are going nuts with the immigration initiative he's pushing and the libs are going nuts for the usual reasons.

Gotta give him credit for alienating himself from his base and provoking pure hatred from his opposition.

-TPFKAS2S

-TPFKAS2S

69. Re: YES! Jan 20, 2004, 23:17 Bronco

But I'm more partial to the hard stuff.

If I'm doing the hard stuff I stick to Jack and ginger or Jack and water.

I'm not a big fan of rum. I don't know if I've posted my rum story here or not but pretty it isn't...

-TPFKAS2S

-TPFKAS2S

68. State of the Union Jan 20, 2004, 22:52 JediLuke

That speech left me thoroughly annoyed.

Among other things:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/01/20/same.sex.marriage/index.html

~Steve

67. Re: YES! Jan 20, 2004, 22:36 Tony!!!

Link to the FAR CRY Single Player Demo.

Check it out.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_4929.shtml

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

66. Re: YES! Jan 20, 2004, 22:33 indiv

PS: Indiv, you wouldn't understand what critical analysis and reasoning is if it bludgeoned you about the head reapeatedly. On my worst day and your best and it's not even a contest. So please...spare me.

Hey, it's not my fault that in your quest for knowledge you closed your mind from balanced thought. Don't take it out on me.

65. Re: halsey Jan 20, 2004, 22:29 Halsy

Gee, Kane...

I'm really hurt. I mean, if one can't have the respect of a semi-literate bigot such as yourself, what's the point of living? I just don't think I can bear it if you're not my pal. Please say you'll be my friend. You're approval is just sooooooo important to me.

PS: I've just been busy of late, Bronc.

PPS: STOTU Speech was just nauseating.

"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit."
- W. Somerset Maugham

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

64. halsey Jan 20, 2004, 21:47 Killer Kane

iam so sick and tired of your overly preachy long winded posts , my eyes glaze over reading them now , i have never liked G. Bush -( but i may give him my vote now just to piss you off...i think the mass graves found in Iraq were reason enough to justify the invasion ) ..and YOU remind me of all the annoying poltical sci majors back in the 70's , your pompous , egomaniacal , self rightous , angry-bitter AND BORING ! dont bother to respond ( i couldnt possibly be correct...) and i nor anyone else cares what you think , and since i can never post here without saying some thing horrific - Somerset Maughan was a FAG !!!!

83 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo