Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

North Miami & Violent Games

Florida City Aims to Curb Violent Computer Games has word on efforts to control access to violent games by minors in North Miami, Florida, spurred, in part, by the ongoing outrage over the "Kill the Haitians" line in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City that has caused so much controversy (which it is argued is taken out of context, as it refers to a specific gang). Word is: "The proposal, which won preliminary approval from the council this week but still has to go through a second vote, would impose a $250 fine on retailers who sell or rent to a minor, without parental approval, a game in which players kill or cause harm 'to a human form.'" The move has drawn criticism from the ACLU, and the article concludes with a reminder that comparable recent measures have ultimately been blocked or reversed: "A similar St. Louis County, Missouri, law was struck down by a federal appeals court, which ruled that games were a protected form of free speech, and a judge blocked a Washington state law that would have restricted sales of games depicting violence against law enforcement officers."

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

15. No subject Jan 17, 2004, 23:17 RazorWynd

2054: zorgnaxian mind probes are to blame

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

http://www.firingsquad.com

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Oh Damn Jan 17, 2004, 23:08 TheNarcis

We should all sue sports stars and movie stars that are drug addicts for 'common' people drug addictions...

And me sue pR0n for my sex addiction...

13. No subject Jan 17, 2004, 21:38 Percolator Fish

ohw ait to blame for what

12. No subject Jan 17, 2004, 19:33 ildon

God not this crap again.

11. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2004, 19:16 Krovven

you forgot

1970s: "Rock and Roll is still to blame."

10. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2004, 19:04 Stolk

NO, we're in the US, where states and cities should have rights. Fortunately, we have the right to not live there.

9. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2004, 17:42 JoeCool

I hope the ACLU blocks this thing. Where are we living in communist China?

8. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2004, 17:04 nin

1950s: "Comic books are to blame."
1960s: "Rock and Roll is to blame."
1980s: "Rock and Roll is still to blame."
1990s: "TV is to blame."
2000s: "Video games are to blame."

Do we see a recurring trend here?

http://www.thecrystalmethod.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. No subject Jan 17, 2004, 16:33 NotOneOfUs

by the ongoing outrage over the "Kill the Haitians" line in Grand Theft Auto III that has caused so much controversy

That's in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Blue. Just a heads up.

6. Re: 1984 Jan 17, 2004, 16:32 Halsy

So I guess they'll be banning the majority of movies, television and rap music in Florida too? What was that number again? Something to the effect that by a time kid reaches 18 he's seen 250,000 violent acts (simulated murders?) on television alone.

"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit."
- W. Somerset Maugham

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

5. No subject Jan 17, 2004, 16:07 AthlonSeven

Monkeydust, in the vernacular of Desert Combat. Agahooga!

What is so special about humans after all? Must people take themselves and their species so seriously?

----------------------------------
http://www.geocities.com/athlonseven

http://www.memenest.com

4. 1984 Jan 17, 2004, 15:54 monkeydust

"a game in which players kill or cause harm 'to a human form.'"

About every game that I can think of falls under this description. Even games like "The Sims" and "Super Mario Brothers" could fall under this proposal.

I guess they want everybody playing Tetris and Bejewelled.

3. BS... Jan 17, 2004, 15:13 ZetaMaiL

This is not about censorship, it's about inciting violence," said Mayor Joe Celestin, a Haitian American. "We're going to take it all the way

No, It's all about fear, people don't want to admit it, but deep down inside, everyone is scared...They're scared that their kids are going to get shot up at school, scared that some "riot" will take place in which all the Hatians are selectively targeted. Peope are so dumb, their first impulse is to make this huge, obvious hissy fit which can basically be simplified down to pissing all over yourself in public and screaming about the pepsi that caused you to do so. It wouldn't be a problem if you weren't scared and looking for scapegoats in the first place huh?

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 15:13.

2. Re: Ok, explain this to me; Jan 17, 2004, 14:14 DDI

That court decision was the one that was appealled I believe. Welcome to the US Justice System.

1. Ok, explain this to me; Jan 17, 2004, 13:46 MacD

If a recent court decision was that games don't faal under freedom of expression becuase they don't communicate ideas...then why would they have to banned for causin g harm to minors? Isn't that at the very least contradictory?

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo