Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

North Miami & Violent Games

Florida City Aims to Curb Violent Computer Games has word on efforts to control access to violent games by minors in North Miami, Florida, spurred, in part, by the ongoing outrage over the "Kill the Haitians" line in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City that has caused so much controversy (which it is argued is taken out of context, as it refers to a specific gang). Word is: "The proposal, which won preliminary approval from the council this week but still has to go through a second vote, would impose a $250 fine on retailers who sell or rent to a minor, without parental approval, a game in which players kill or cause harm 'to a human form.'" The move has drawn criticism from the ACLU, and the article concludes with a reminder that comparable recent measures have ultimately been blocked or reversed: "A similar St. Louis County, Missouri, law was struck down by a federal appeals court, which ruled that games were a protected form of free speech, and a judge blocked a Washington state law that would have restricted sales of games depicting violence against law enforcement officers."

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Very close nin Jan 19, 2004, 22:22 nin

My bet is that Mason is more intelligent than you could dream and knows how to exploit the industry to make him rich while simultaneously getting his message out.

Oh, he's a smart guy. He tries to be "controversial" for the sake of selling records, and then mimics shit Alice Cooper did in the 70's....OH! SCARY!

http://www.neworderonline.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Very close nin Jan 19, 2004, 21:43 Pumas

My bet is that Mason is more intelligent than you could dream and knows how to exploit the industry to make him rich while simultaneously getting his message out. Watch the interview of him in Bowling for Columbine. That man knows exactly what he's talking about and is not willing to backpedal for anyone. At least he knows his morals and won't compromise them for anyone...it's irrelevant that his morals are in opposition of the general population. I've said before that the masses are typically wrong.

PC is for whiners and pussies.

V

How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

33. Re: Very close nin Jan 19, 2004, 13:04 nin

They didn't like or listen to Manson. They thought he was a poser.

Well, they got one thing right in their lives...

http://www.thecrystalmethod.com/

32. No Subject Jan 19, 2004, 12:11 Sty

...a game in which players kill or cause harm 'to a human form.'"

Hahaha. That's 85% of the industry. Gotta love it.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

31. Re: Very close nin Jan 18, 2004, 12:38 Bronco

Remember that the Columbine guys listened to Marilyn Manson AND played video games!

They didn't like or listen to Manson. They thought he was a poser. They listened to Rammstein and KMFDM.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

-TPFKAS2S

30. Re: Very close nin Jan 18, 2004, 12:13 Mashiki Amiketo

Actually just to be picky, it's Betty Boop and she debuted in the 30's. Guess you don't love her that much.

'28 late or '29 was the first airing actually...hidden up, then re-released. And it was a controversy right from the start. Screaming blah blah blah, should only be for adults. It will ruin the children. Blah blah blah.

I'm not really interested in getting into the nitty gritty of anything right now.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

29. Kill The Hatians Jan 18, 2004, 11:41 WebDemon

Just another fine example of parents refusing to take some responsibility for what their kids watch and play. If a video game makes a kid kill, or hate people then that kid had deeper seeded problems than what games he plays. THAT is the fault of the parents and no one else. I grew up on slasher flicks and video games back in the day and I've never killed anything. Probably because I had good parents who instilled a decent set of values in me. Then again we're taking about a state that spawned Fred Durst and deep fried alligator. N'uff said.

28. Re: Very close nin Jan 18, 2004, 11:33 cyric

1920s: Animated Cartoons are to blame.(See Betty Boob...how I love her)

Actually just to be picky, it's Betty Boop and she debuted in the 30's. Guess you don't love her that much.

27. Re: Very close nin Jan 18, 2004, 10:42 DannoHung

I don't really see why this is a problem. Aren't there laws restricting kids under 17 from going to R rated movies or renting R rated movies without an adult?

I mean, compared to them trying to say that Video Games aren't protected speech at all, this is terrific. Just apply the same rule to M rated and AO games and it'll get them to shut up a little bit.

I'm a soooooooong from the sixties.

26. Re: Very close nin Jan 18, 2004, 08:03 Xenos Overdrive

Don't worry, I'm sure Rock and Roll is still to blame... it's always to blame. Remember that the Columbine guys listened to Marilyn Manson AND played video games! OH NOS!! TEH MUSIK ADN TEH DOOM TOLD TEHM TO SO IT!!1111

Heh, and the bright, flashing animation effects in a lot of anime is also causing epileptic fits in too many children...it may even cause them to want to O/D on aspirine from the hellacious headaches afterward...hmm.

25. No subject Jan 18, 2004, 04:17 space captain

those damn swamp hicks

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

24. Re: Violence ? Jan 18, 2004, 03:04 Pumas

Floridians can't even work a voting system....does anyone really expect them to have the collective cognative capacity to see past media? Not likely. It wasn't the years of neglect that caused my kid to shoot a classmate, it was the video games which I let him buy even though they clearly have a mature rating and I as a parent should be responsible enough to recognize this simple fact.

V

23. OH NOES!!!! Jan 18, 2004, 02:58 Pumas

Look out everyone....or you might just offend a minority! :-gasp-: And as we all know, democracy is supposed to be run by the minority. Wait a second.

V

22. Re: No subject Jan 18, 2004, 02:40 Nyarlathotep

Blame Canada!

-------
Calling Cthulhu webmaster
http://www.callingcthulhu.com

-------
Calling Cthulhu
http://www.callingcthulhu.com

21. Violence ? Jan 18, 2004, 01:45 M!k3*420

Remember Florida peeps that video games are just games. It's not real. I know it may be hard for you but c'mon use your mind. Every f****** time there's something wrong. Stop blaming the games,tvs,radio or whatever and start to evoluate on your side.

''Cyber bullets doesnt hurt''

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 01:47.

Who ever told you life was fair ?

Life is a gamble play it hard :p

20. Re: No subject Jan 18, 2004, 01:44 nin

nin you forgot Dungeons and Dragons for the 80's and Satanic Cults

My point wasn't to name every decade or controversy, but to illustrate that anytime something is new or different, it's frequently blamed for society's downfall. And while games aren't exactly new, they've reached the point where they could easily be in the vast majority of homes.

My point was: There's ALWAYS going to be something to blame society's biggest fears on. Today, it's games, and there are people out there right now who firmly believe they're ruining the world. All we can do, as gamers, is take the high road, and educate people anytime we get the chance.

http://www.thecrystalmethod.com/

19. People is smart. Jan 18, 2004, 01:43 Camaro76

Do we see a recurring trend here?

We keep electing the same clueless idiots into positions of power?

As time moves on the level of stupidity increases?

All entertainment is evil and people are really really slow to notice?

In other news: there's still no cure for cancer. It's not very safe to travel abroad and more and more jobs are leaving the country. But let's blame video games for all of that too.

---------------------------------------------
"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?" -- Dick Cavett
mocking the TV-violence debate

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

18. Re: Very close nin Jan 18, 2004, 01:33 Tabs

Don't worry, I'm sure Rock and Roll is still to blame... it's always to blame. Remember that the Columbine guys listened to Marilyn Manson AND played video games! OH NOS!! TEH MUSIK ADN TEH DOOM TOLD TEHM TO SO IT!!1111

17. Very close nin Jan 17, 2004, 23:37 Mashiki Amiketo

1950s: "Comic books are to blame."
1960s: "Rock and Roll is to blame."
1980s: "Rock and Roll is still to blame."
1990s: "TV is to blame."
2000s: "Video games are to blame."

Here's what mine looks like tho.
1910s: Everyone is trying to stay alive.
1920s: Animated Cartoons are to blame.(See Betty Boob...how I love her)
1930s: Everyone too busy with self-existance to place blame.
1940s: WWII...see above
1950s: Comic Books are to blame.
1960s: Lewd dances and emergence of Rock and roll are to blame.
1970s: Expanded rock and roll and 'sexual revolution' are to blame.
1980s: D&D, AD&D, emergence of violence are to blame.
1990s: TV is to blame.
2000s: Video games are the blame.

Not all that different, but the trend really does exist. That is until we are actually faced with a problem...and then we turn around and actually do something productive with our time.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

16. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2004, 23:34 The Half Elf

nin you forgot Dungeons and Dragons for the 80's and Satanic Cults

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo