Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Silent Storm Gold

The Encore Website has the announcement that the North American version of Silent Storm, Nival Interactive's World War II strategy game, is now gold, and is expected on store shelves by the end of this month. Here's a bit:

Silent Storm is a true 3D game combining turn-based tactical combat and role-playing set against the background of World War II. Gamers choose to play on the side of the Axis or Allied forces, select their squad, and customize their characters from over 40 elite mercenaries. Then, employing more than 75 authentic weapons from the time period, gamers embark on 24 non-linear missions that are revealed as play progresses.

Among the game's many unique features is its ability for players to realistically destroy everything they see -- for example, when part of a building's lower story is blown up, the upper stories collapse. In addition, players can create elite squadrons from 40 operatives spanning 30 nationalities, each with their own profession and skills.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Ditto: GAME OF THE YEAR! Jan 15, 2004, 23:05 Paranoid Jack

I bought the UK release and had it at my door in the same amount of time it takes to get a game here in the states. Plus it was no more expensive even with the rush shipping charge. I plan on buying more European releases this way.

( STALKER:Oblivion Lost .... come on. )

My favorite was also tossing a heavy grenade through a window into a shop full of Germans and watching it bring down a huge section of that three story building and leaving a hole from the roof to the basement... I replayed that a dozen times.

I still have Fallout Tactics on the hard drive... but since I got this game I haven't played much else (as far as single player goes). Hell, I even put Star Wars:KOTOR on hold until I get bored with Silent Storm.

You guys in the UK and Europe keep us posted when that add-on hits shelves... so we can order it. Thanks.

EDIT: Please post any and all Silent Storm mod sites if you have any. I am dying to see a good Fallout mod.
This comment was edited on Jan 15, 23:07.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: No subject Jan 15, 2004, 21:51 BrunoPuntzJones

And don't forget the expansion pack coming out soon...

30. Re: No subject Jan 15, 2004, 20:09 nimski

I'll add another vote for Game of the Year.

Something I'd kinda like to see though would be enemy behavior slightly tweaked depending on player habits. For example I use almost exclusively rifles and I'm damn near unstoppable. It would be cool if the enemy could see my rifle stats and adjust tactics (from mission to mission) to counter my rifle behaivor(long range combat).

I'd simply crap my pants if I started a mission and the enemy advanced toward me by blasting holes in the side of buildings and using it for cover.

29. No subject Jan 15, 2004, 19:56 PHJF

TBS games = teh ownz0rz!11

Except Shadow Watch. Why did I buy that?

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

28. Re: dirt cheap. Jan 15, 2004, 19:27 John Nelson

That £8.99 at amazon.co.uk is criminal. Anyone who buys it is virtually stealing it. You should send Levi jeans and coca cola to Nival direct to compensate them. Hell at that price I want to buy a couple more copies just to give to people.

27. No subject Jan 15, 2004, 18:37 space captain

i was talking about the dude at the bottom that said he couldnt wait long enough for the turn to end... and couldnt understand action points..

this is a thinking mans game.. not a twitcher

ALSO - you can turn off the death scene "auto-camera".. which is nice coz you can zoom in and angle the camera exactly how you want to view the death - like shooting a guy and watching him fall through a 3 story window to the ground below. tight, tight, tight!!!

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

26. Re: No subject Jan 15, 2004, 17:52 BigDaddy

I don't like the camera controls because of the zooming, and they ~felt~ a little too sensitive for me. It is heartening to hear that you can tweak them with cfg files, though.

Where did I say, btw, that I didn't like TBS games? I love them, and will be picking SS soon.

25. Re: Stoked Jan 15, 2004, 17:42 Beamer

Easily the best game released since JA2.

Or JA1 before that.

Or X-COM before that.

It will make you forget the turn-based crapfest that was UFO:Unknown or whatever the X-COM ripoff was.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Stoked Jan 15, 2004, 17:24 amygdala

I fell in love with the demo after someone on these boards recommended it. I am definitely picking this one up.

Best demo moment: Chucking an HE grenade into a room where a Nazi was crouched on the stairs. The grenade blast took out the stairs, the nazi, the walls, the adjoining windows, and part of the ceiling! And it sounded great, too!

I thought the release date was Tuesday, 20 JAN. Is that no longer true? So much for camping out in front of the store...

23. Wee Jan 15, 2004, 17:18 Sion441

Great news, can't wait!

22. Re: No subject Jan 15, 2004, 17:11 DDI

Yea I remember playing the demo and grabbed one of the MG34s. Blew a hole in a stone wall with several full auto bursts and then blew a hole in the German troop on the other side.

21. No subject Jan 15, 2004, 17:02 BrunoPuntzJones

Probably my favorite game of the year, I get giddy when I leave work in anticipation of playing it. I picked up the Euro version when it came out. It's just freaking awesome.

I think the "oooh" moment was when I had a machinegunner covering the front of a building with an MG34 while covered by a stone entrance. Got an interupt because of a Nazi bastid walking past a window on the 2nd floor. Turned the gun to full auto and watched the better part of 75 rounds rip through the window and an incredible animation followed. Glass fell, rounds bounced off metal surfaces, blood marks on the bad dude and the wall, paper and wood flying everywhere. Was just like controlling an old war movie.

This is like Jagged Alliance in WWII, woohoo

Edit: I forgot to add that I generally hate strategy games. I don't think I could imagine there being anyone who is a Call of Duty/etc. fan and not liking this.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 17:03.

20. No subject Jan 15, 2004, 17:01 space captain

http://s2hq.com/articles.php?lng=en&pg=50

poke around on that site for more tips

- SUBHUMANS

19. Re: No subject Jan 15, 2004, 16:55 nmg

could you provide a link or some tips on that editing?

thanks

NMG

---
Not My Golf ball{

NMG

---
Not Much Good

18. No subject Jan 15, 2004, 16:49 space captain

i dont know why you would loathe the camera controls...

but you can completely change them via a .cfg file...

for example, I took off the restraints on zooming in and out and also the angles - so I can zoom in far enough to count individual pixels and even get a perfect FPS viewpoint (if I want)... it really helps for line-of-sight calculations... I can also zoom out far enough to see the entire map (even the BIG ones)

BTW - you can edit ALOT of stuff via the cfg files

lets put it this way: if you dont own this game, you CANNOT consider yourself a TBS fan - it is an essential title

but if you dont enjoy TBS games, what makes you think you would enjoy this one? It is the essence of polished TBS combat... its not dumbed down like some kind of hybrid RTS bullshit.

- SUBHUMANS

17. A good throwback Jan 15, 2004, 16:39 BigDaddy

I played the demo of this, and I loathe the camera controls. BUT...this is turn-based tactics at its finest. (The subtext of that sentence is...this is not a game for everyone, and it certainly ins't a game for those who insist that all of their games be "fast-paced.")

Fallout Tactics was fun, but it crashed far too often for my taste, and I ran into a game-ending bug that rendered all my progress null and void.

I, too, wish it wasn't a WW2 game, but I'll take a tired setting if the gameplay rules.

16. Re: dirt cheap. Jan 15, 2004, 16:38 Moonbender

The game is freaking awesome, bloddy difficult at first, too bad the sci-fi elements really don't do it for me. The game mechanics are just terrific though. And I don't mind another WW2 game, either - there are heaps of WW2 shooters and action FPS games, but not that many games in other genres. Certainly not RPG/tactical combat.

15. Re: dirt cheap. Jan 15, 2004, 16:31 nin

Just giving you a heads-up, the game is currently £8.99 at amazon.co.uk.

I tried to order software from there awhile back and have it shipped to the U.S., but they wouldn't do it...the bastards...

http://www.thecrystalmethod.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. dirt cheap. Jan 15, 2004, 16:25 Joq

Just giving you a heads-up, the game is currently £8.99 at amazon.co.uk.

13. Ten minutes to clear a room. Jan 15, 2004, 15:49 OneNightStand

Yeah i guess u must have bought along your mops and cleared up the mess,if it takes ten minutes. That is an absurd statement,i've played Silent Storm on both Allied & Axis campaigns,and i've never ecountered such a situation before,even if the room contained more than "two or three" guys. What ammo were u and the enemy using? Spitwads? BB pellets?
Sure the game is a tad on the slow side but hey, ever heard of something called a grenade?

U might not like turn-based games,or SS,or u might prefer Shadow Company. Fine by any means but please keep your bullshit to yourself.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo