Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

My favorite thing about the new version of Outlook (/me braces for a flood of alternative mailer recommendations) is (or I should say, was) how it refused, by default, to download images in mail messages from over the 'net without being asked to. This managed to save me countless pointless image downloads, and also helps protect privacy, since spammers use access logs to see who downloaded such images to tell whether their spam has reached an actual user so they can resell your address. The bummer is that after telling it to download the images in one single mail, this no longer works properly on other mails, even though it is still set to skip images unless told otherwise. Oh well, it was neat while it lasted...

Play Time: Ant Arena. Thanks Ant.
Links of the Day: StrongBad's Game Dreams. Thanks Ant and indiv. Play Time, LoD, and media all in one.
How Can I Prevent Internet Electrocution?
Stories of the Day: U.S. jet accidentally bombs Yorkshire.
Man evicted after living on golf course for 40 years. Thanks Miguel Gonzalez.
German Police Investigate Potato Computer Scam. Thanks Andrew Arace.
Science!: Professor Experiments With Life As Cyborg.
Pressure cooker-like machine proposed for mad cows.
WHO: Human deaths may be linked to bird flu.
Images of the Day: Abandoned Bicycles of New York.
Auctions of the Day: Walk-on Role in new Samuel L. Jackson Movie. Thanks Jim Chaney.
Imaginary Boyfriend. Thanks Eddie Mayas.
Follow-up: Rules of Engagement. More on that helicopter video. Thanks Zarkark.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
108 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

108. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2004, 20:40 Bronco

You know, maybe I'm a mean asshole, or it’s my autistic brain talking,

You don't sound very autistic to me. I'm not doubting you but I know more than my fair share and you really don't.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

-TPFKAS2S
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

107. No subject Jan 16, 2004, 17:27 Of Rock Star Fame

You know, maybe I'm a mean asshole, or it’s my autistic brain talking, but I don't see a problem with killing Iraqis to save a couple a bucks in gas. I travel alot and holy moly it is insane in California. I have never had a problem with Canadians, but they have alot of oil and if we need to bust out the nukes to get it, bring it on. I'm serious, human life is invaluable and you should never joke about taking it, but look at the gas prices, good God. I'm sure I'm in the minority (I damn sure hope so, anyway), but blood for oil sounds like a damn fine idea.

O, yeah I loved playing a 2 yr old console game that made my $3,500, top of the line, I-don't-have-a-girlfriend PC almost melt.
--Zepher (referencing Halo)

106. Re: GG: MOOG Jan 15, 2004, 13:23 Moog Operator

The major problem with deer is moisture loss; it is so lean that when you cook it, all the liquid leaves town and you end up eating a hockey-puck of protien. I know 3 recipes which do not cause this, and they are fantastic. Before I knew them, I wouldn't touch deer in any form except jerky, which would be included in the two expenses paid vacation to the Moog-Operation international sexyness headquarters.

We cannot eat solar panels, nor solar power.
We cannot eat wind power, nor wind turbines.
92% of the world relies on eating oil, via fertilizer, pesticides, transport, and irrigation.
How long until oil is too valuble for farming?
www.oilcrash.com
This comment was edited on Jan 15, 13:24.

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

105. Re: GG: MOOG Jan 15, 2004, 12:24 Enahs

i'd be feeding you deer and vegetables

ECK!
People around here love deer hunting, and I have eaten it a good bit.
Only with enough spice or hot-sauce (depending on how it is cooked) can I eat that stuff.
Nasty…uck….You either need your taste-buds works on, or you have found a way to cook deer so it does not suck….*GAG*

_____
Enahs
http://www.petitiononline.com/Grammar/

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

104. Re: GG: MOOG Jan 15, 2004, 10:41 Moog Operator

Agressive? I simply stated that should any american soldier come and see me, I will happily share my opinion with him or her. If they want to get violent about it afterwards, fine. I don't want to get into how you were lied into this war; if you do not see that for yourself, you are far too foolish to be educated. I have seen many examples of Saddam's wealth... and he really spread it around, too! I mean, look at the riches the Iraqis are flaunting around! His well paid, well equipped army really did well against those Americans! Face the facts: On the ground in Iraq, this war is against the poor, being fought by the poor - if we can even call it a war.
This will be in very simple english so you get it:
I LIKE AMERICA
I LIKE MOST AMERICANS
I DISLIKE AMERICAN FOREIGN POLICY
THE REST OF THE WORLD SUFFERS BECAUSE OF THAT POLICY
YOUR GOVERNMENT MAKES CERTAIN YOU DO NOT LEARN ABOUT THAT POLICY
THAT IS WHERE I COME IN
I am anti-war, but I understand the fact that American soldiers are doing their jobs. They are, however, doing their jobs in an area where it is completely unnecessary, for reasons they do not understand. Invading an unarmed (yes, over 500 soldiers have died; that is 0.33% of the troops stationed there... an armed country would have killed at least 5% of the enemy) country is not what your soldiers are for, and they are being abused, exploited, and fucked over by your president.
"...and i'll wait for Blue to put an anti-America filter on the board"
An anti america filter limits free speech, which is contradictory to your constitution... Either you are calling Blue a Fascist/Anti-American, or you are so stupid you do not see that limiting any form of speech is anti-american.
IF you must know, my transportation around Calgary is a bicycle/c-train combo - the ctrain uses wind electricity, and my bike uses Moog power. Both of those methods of transportation would not be possible, or would be very different without oil, but I am smart enough to accept the fact that there isn't going to be oil for the masses in a few years... so I do what I can for now while planning for oil-free life.
What kind of self respecting nerd doesn't see a Back to the Future reference when it stares him in the eye?
Enahs: Can't do with the money thing... same logic as giving cash to homeless people who need the money for "food". Furthermore, i'd be feeding you deer and vegetables so it'd only be about $20 anyway. You are free to knowck on my door though. I work mon-fri 9-5. dont come during those hours.
Dan: It was +4 when I woke up today (: chinooks rule

92% of the world relies on eating oil, via fertilizer, pesticides, transport, and irrigation.
www.oilcrash.com
EDIT: Sarcasm Quotations
This comment was edited on Jan 15, 10:43.

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

103. Re: GG: MOOG Jan 15, 2004, 09:20 Brown

Hmm, and Iraq had what, exactly, to do with 9/11?

(Answer: nothing at all - Al Qaeda considered the Iraqi govt to be Infidels. The US govt. jsut suggested it did, cus it would boost support forhte war.)

102. Re: Apache Assualt Jan 15, 2004, 06:48 Armengar

Im lucky my sister is currently researching war crimes for her history essays so I asked her to cut and paste me some stuff for me, I havent a clue really but she assured me the sources were credible

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

101. GG: MOOG Jan 15, 2004, 04:24 SH33P

Jeez dude for a smoked out stoner, you sure sound aggressive. Where to begin... First of all, the funny part is I didn't know you were canadian. It must have been that funny smell. Since you like cheap shots, you misspelled Sacramento, where I live. Hmmm. Does your superb canadian weed also make you invincible? An open invitation to, I believe, ANY US soldier? WOW You must be as deadly as you are witty. And since you're more intelligent than all Americans, how were Americans "lied" into this war? Some would say America was provoked. Didn't you hear from your dealer about that whole 9/11 thing? A war against the poor? You ever see examples of Saddam's wealth? Here's another question for you; Do you drive? Ride the bus? Or is your scooter getting you around these days? You are right on the US reliance on Petroleum. I guess that's the price we pay for being the most advanced, wealthiest nation in the world. Don't get me wrong about canada. I've been several times. Beautiful place. It's just the massive amount of complaining, second-guessing and criticizing that most canadians retch our way. Don't get me wrong on Bush either. I didn't vote for him. I think he's a Chump too. And don't forget that he wasn't officially elected. Unlike you, I don't think I portray myself as an omniscient, hyper-intellectual sophist. My main gripe is with the anti-American sentiment being expressed here by people like you. Being anti-war doesn't have to be anti-American soldier. Oh yeah, don't try to make a point against me by making it seem like I insulted Blue. I never did. So, why don't you find an American flag to roll up some of your great canadian ganja, make another hilarious post and smirk yourself into oblivion.

p.s I think you meant "...screen door on a submarine." Right?

100. Re: GG!! Jan 15, 2004, 00:56 Enahs

Moog Operator

For the love of all things holy and unholy!
Please, if you are going to type that much again, PLEASE USE PARAGRAPHS!

Ohh, and even though you were not talking to me, could I still take you up on that “even feed you for a week” offer?! But uhh, forget me coming up to your place, just send me some money and I will buy my own, yummy delicious food. I will send you pictures of me with the food, and a letter. You will continue to get pictures and letters ever other month for a year, at that point, you can sponsor me again to keep recieving letters!

_____
Enahs
http://www.petitiononline.com/Grammar/
This comment was edited on Jan 15, 00:58.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

99. Re: GG!! Jan 15, 2004, 00:39 ExcessDan

how's the winchill in calgary right now? i'm glad i'm not in the maritimes right now with -55 whoah d00d

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan
This comment was edited on Jan 15, 00:40.

ExcessDan

98. Re: GG!! Jan 14, 2004, 23:55 Moog Operator

Sh(SOO ELITE!!!!!)p:
8 Hazelwood Cr
Calgary, Alberta Canada.
To get to my house from the Airport:
Take a cab to Whitehorn c-train station. Board the train and take it to the Olympic Plaza station, get off, and walk a block to the east. Board the "Fish Creek/Lacombe" Train at the city hall station, and get off at Southland station. From there, go into the station building, up the stairs, down the other stairs, and you will see a bus loop. Walk to the end of the bus loop, and take the road right. It is called Sacremento Drive. Go north and cross Southland Drive. Hazelwood Crescent is the first and second left, my house is green with green, and if it is winter, the sidewalk will not be shovelled; if it summer, the grass will be long and unkept.
If you take a Greyhound bus: Get off at the downtown terminal, walk towards downtown (the tall buildings to the east) find 8th Ave, go to 8th street, board the Fish Creek/Lacombe train, and the rest of the instructions are the same.
If you are Driving: Most likely, you will approach the city from the south, on Highway 2. Take Highway 2 north until you get to Southland drive, hang a left, then turn right on Haddon rd. Hazelwood crescent is the first and second lefts.
If you are taking a helicopter: I assume you are approaching from the south. There are two major north/south roads in Calgary. The eastern of the two is Deerfoot trail, and leads out of the city to the north. There are no houses, or buildings directly beside Deerfoot trail, it is a freeway. The other is MacLeod Trail. It is characterized by large volumes of traffic, shops all up and down it, the train runs parallell to it until downtown, and MacLeod trail ends downtown. Find Deerfoot trail. It has a large (2km or so) portion that goes east, and this section is located in the south of the city. This turn is to avoid a large park, which has a river going through it. Anyway, around the spot where the road turns to the east (if you were driving south it is a big left turn) there is a big mess of roads all converging, one going east (deerfoot) one south (bow bottom tr) one west (anderson drive) and one north (deerfoot). Follow deerfoot north from the jumble of roads to the next exit ramp; the road (southland drive) goes west only. Follow Southland drive until a bridge goes over train tracks. On the west side of the bridge is a set of lights. Follow the road north, Hazelwood crescent is the first cresent that goes west off of the road. Suitable parking for you helicopter can be found just to the south, by the previously described train station; there is a dry pond there.
Get the fuck over here asshole. Any American soldier feel like making a trip to Canada? After I lecture you on my opinions, you'll probably want to fight, and after I kick the god awful hell out of you on the lawn, you can stay in my house. Hell, I'll even feed you for a week!
This is the deal asshole: 400 kilometers separate me from a country run by the clown prince of the oil barons, and he is holding the key to weapons of mass destruction. Keep him in place, and he will use them in the next 4 years. A war against the poor for oil, is 100% wrong in every way. Especially since you were lied into it. You may not realize it, but Americans would probably have agreed with pre-empting the world in the oil wars, if Americans realized how significant oil is, and it's current effect on your very way of life. And guess what? USA was named after North America, both chronologically, and in spirit. Furthermore, it is an insult to BLue to assume he would limit free speech because said speech is "Anti-American". If I was in here calling all of you scum, and making really clever homophobic jokes while laying bare my ignorance for the whole world, then I could see some kind of ban. I am not lying, swearing too much (sorry under 18s for raping your poor eyes.. oh yeah, you go to public school), being racist, hate mongering, intentionally causing flame wars, or doing anything malicious. My most malicious crime is extreme sillyness and ultra-sarcasm - hardly an affront to these message boards. Plus I type long, boring posts.

edit:Stoned, bad directions originally.
PS: Of course I have a higher than thou attitude - have you smoked canadian weed, dude? We get fucking cooked.
pps: its "holier than thou"... if you want to sound clever by using cliches, get em right. God, you are about as stupid as putting a screen door on a battleship! I mean come on...
www.oilcrash.com
This comment was edited on Jan 15, 00:02.

97. Re: Apache Jan 14, 2004, 23:25 Moog Operator

Tigger, I know that. That's why I agreed with him and explained the wording of his initial claim was what spurned my response. You don't get the point.

www.oilcrash.com

96. Re: Apache Assualt Jan 14, 2004, 21:59 Bronco

In this case I don't think it matters whether this particular crew thought they were in "imminent danger". Let me put it this way: Say, the next day the "bad guys" use those weapons to bring down another helicopter. What does this crew say? "Yeah we saw them offloading the weapons but they didn't see us so we let them go."

Good point and I agree with it completely. I guess what I was really trying to say is that based upon the evidence I can make no real judgement upon the situation and what response, if any was appropriate. The article states that the crew of that helicopter was able to see what was going on in a much clearer fashion. This crew did not act impulsively, rather they received permission to act and did so with precision.

This is a poor comparison but I can never figure out how people can know what is in an athletes head by seeing their face on a TV. On Sunday McNabb 'looked' like he was toast before that final drive. I'm sure many people thought that he had given up. We all know how that ended. Translate this into the video we are all talking about and I hope you get my point.

I'll tell you one thing, when it's my time to go (in 50 years or so ), I hope I wink out of existence as fast as that first guy.

I agree with this too but I want to be in the saddle when it happens.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

-TPFKAS2S

95. GG!! Jan 14, 2004, 21:26 SH33P

For some reason Halsy and Moog make my ass itch. Hmmm... maybe it's that "I missed the plane to Iraq to be a human shield because I organized an anti-war rally at the community college" feeling I get from them. That and NOTHING is more annoying than a canadian with a higher than thou attitude toward anything American. I personally think that Moog and Halsy should get together and make love, not bombs... It's your right to an opinion, whatever country you live in, but make sure you have the balls to give that opinion, in person, to whomever you're criticizing. And I don't think that either of those tools could say ANYTHING to those pilots, or ANY US soldier, about what a terrible, baby killing, war criminal they are. So Halsy stay up there in your beautiful, pristine, and pretentious Northern AMERICAN country and lob cheap, impetuous, "hey everyone, don't I sound intelligent and original?!" comments and i'll wait for Blue to put an anti-America filter on the board.

94. Re: Apache Assualt Jan 14, 2004, 21:07 WarPig

I still could not be so certain that those pilots were in imminent danger or not.

I pretty much agree with your whole post Bronco but I have a comment about the above statement since I've also read it in a couple other posts.

In this case I don't think it matters whether this particular crew thought they were in "imminent danger". Let me put it this way: Say, the next day the "bad guys" use those weapons to bring down another helicopter. What does this crew say? "Yeah we saw them offloading the weapons but they didn't see us so we let them go."

If they try to confiscate the weapons they would probably be fired on the second their rotors were heard.

Another thing I've read here a couple times are comments on whether or not the ordinance used was "humane" or not. I'll tell you one thing, when it's my time to go (in 50 years or so ;)), I hope I wink out of existence as fast as that first guy. Talk about not knowing what hit you.

-----------------------------------------
And remember, this is only my opinion - anyone who disagrees with it has every right to be wrong.

GO SEAHAWKS!

93. Re: Apache Jan 14, 2004, 20:19 Tigger

which says nothing of your comment that one day is not enough time to teach someone how to use a gun.

I think you may have missed his point Moog Operator. I agree that one day is sufficient to learn weapon operation, but what I think he's trying to say that you can know the material to pass a test, but it's another level of knowledge entirely to KNOW the weapon. It takes a few weeks of daily training to become proficient with a weapon.

Unless your born with some natural ability to shoot.

--
Tigger
"It's not the years, it's the mileage" ~Indiana Jones

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

92. Re: Apache Assualt Jan 14, 2004, 18:35 Camaro76

Thanks complicity, nin, SMA for all the info. I'll try to go the import route, as I don't like the RIAA much myself.

---------------------------------------------
"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?" -- Dick Cavett
mocking the TV-violence debate

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

91. Re: Apache Jan 14, 2004, 18:24 Moog Operator

I didn't learn assembly, but the amount of info you need is pretty high - 100 multiple choice q's on test, 80% passing grade. I agree that assembly/maintenance is another bag of sticks, but that info is not important while being fired upon by 30mm cannons, which says nothing of your comment that one day is not enough time to teach someone how to use a gun.

www.oilcrash.com

90. Re: Apache Jan 14, 2004, 15:33 Scottish Martial Arts

That is crazy, I studied, and passed the Canadian examinations to get not only my FAC (firearms acquisition certificate), but my handgun, and semi-automatic rifle (read assault rifle) lisences in one day.

Okay fair enough but were you able to disassemble and assemble, maintain, operate and fire those weapons with above average proficiency? And be able to remember all of that while under fire? In one day you could go over all of that but to expect someone to retain every single last bit of it doesn't seem very likely.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 15:35.

89. Re: Apache Assualt Jan 14, 2004, 14:07 Tigger

Thanks Armengar!

After additional research myself (something I had hoped to avoid), I see that really the only ammunition type that is prohibited those of the expanding type (shotguns, etc.).

It is prohibited to use WEAPONS that cause "unnecessary suffering", but the Apache's machine gun perfectly legal.

--
Tigger
"It's not the years, it's the mileage" ~Indiana Jones

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

108 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo