Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Man has it gotten cold! I was definitely enjoying the unseasonable warmness that marked the end of 2003 around these parts. At approximately 0.0001% body fat, I am just not built for cold snaps. On that topic, Ice Age Ancestry May Keep Body Warmer and Healthier (registration required) is an article sent along today by linkmeister general Mike Martinez with a bit on the science behind keeping warm. This just makes me wonder how my ancestors made it through the ice age, as if they adapted to the cold, it's hard to see what of that they passed along to me. I am pretty good at building campfires (and in more civilized moments, working the thermostat).... maybe that's my genetic gift in this regard.

Stories of the Day: Bush to Announce New Missions to Moon, Mars.
Half of pubs tested fail measures blitz. Thanks Enahs.
Texas Man Receives $7 Million Water Bill. Thanks Viperfour.
Science!: Supernova, sun combo blamed for mass extinction.
Farmed Salmon Have More Contaminants Than Wild Ones, Study Finds (registration required).
Alzheimer's disease cause identified.
Image of the Day: Friends foil Olympia man's home. Thanks Enahs.
Follow-ups: Woman drops lawsuit to stop lottery payout.
Stardust Captures the Best Comet Image Ever.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

59. Re: No subject Jan 10, 2004, 15:06 eunichron

Do you honestly believe that the majority, or evena significant portion, if those recieveing welfare are lazy crack addicts that are popping out kids for the sheer hell of it?
Lazy yes, crack addicts popping out kids for the hell of it may be a stretch (but yes there are those who pop out kids, because incidently, you receive more welfare for each kid).
If the answer is yes, than please start punching yourself in the face right now until you get the stupid beat out of you.
I would oblige if I had never seen the effects of poverty first hand, and come close to living it. Have you ever worked in a convenience store in poor neighborhoods? And I mean real poor neighborhoods. I mean people living in $20,000 run down shacks stacked to the brim with family members, where multiple police visits every night are a common occurance. Do you know what it's like to have to explain to someone that they can't send their kids into your gas station one at a time to buy cigarettes and beer with their food stamps (in many places you can buy cigarettes with food stamps, but only one pack per visit)?

For people to improve their lives they have to want to be helped. It's not hard. My family did it. I don't like going into my personal history on the internet, but I'll tell you, I grew up in a 7 person family living on less than $30,000 a year. My father now (27 years later) makes $95,000 a year. He didn't do it through government programs, or handouts. He took advantage of opportunities offered to him through his employers, he made smart decisions, he thought about the future. You want to make it in life? Take initiative, don't wait for the plate to come to you, because the plate is going to be near empty when it does. As Denis Leary once said, "Life sucks, get a fucking helmet."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Misc Jan 10, 2004, 13:14 JM

But those don't count because... I'm sure the money wasn't given right, yeah and uhm, Bush is a meanie, yeah, that's it.

Now, now. Let Halsy speak for himself.

57. No subject Jan 10, 2004, 12:32 Rictor

Yay! More useless spending of money! I love this guy, really, I do.

For the money used to fund the mission to Mars, the world could be made a much better place. In the US alone, it could considerably raise the standard of living, which is still on average ridiculously high compared to the rest of the world. The money could be used to fund a universal health-care system, like the one used here in Canada. It could be used on education, to ensure that American students are not by and large considered to be among the stupidest on Earth. The list goes on folks.

But, no. Instead, to get himself re-elected, Bush needs to present a "big idea" to the American citizenry. Some huge undertaking that will fill their hearts with partiotism and make them think that "We're Number 1 !!". This is it. Quite aside from the science of it all, this is essentially a multi-billion re-election stunt, payed for by the tax dollars of the American people.

The implication here is that the American people would rather have bragging rights that serve no real purpose, than an actual improvement in quality of life. Not only for themselves, but the rest of the world as well. Thats what you're supporting if you support this move, just to clarify that. The case could be made that the scientific discoveries that are to be made, both as the technology used to make possble such a mission as well as the discoveries on Mars, is a worthy goal, and I do agree with that. Its just that scientific for the sake of science is pretty far down my list of priorities when the situation here on Earth is so dire. Were the world living in wealth and health, I would be the first to support such an undertaking as the exploration of space. But its not, and the fact that its not is of greater importance than some, relatively speaking, useless scientific discovery.

____

On a slightly different matter, I simply can not let the comments made here about welfare go without an arguement. Do you honestly believe that the majority, or evena significant portion, if those recieveing welfare are lazy crack addicts that are popping out kids for the sheer hell of it? If the answer is yes, than please start punching yourself in the face right now until you get the stupid beat out of you. Its a complete lie that the people on welfare are quite capable of improving their situation, they just don't want to. Most people on welfare are much harder working than your average middle class o upper class Joe. They work 2 jobs to stay afloat. They have to struggle through life because they were never given the chance to be anything better (at least, not nearly as good a chance as those who are wealthier). To write these people off as lazy is to morally excuse the fact that they continue to live in such a state when the means to help them are readily available.

56. Re: No subject Jan 10, 2004, 12:17 Anvil

"as long as mandatory birth control does not apply to whites, i support it."
Wow... I hope you are joking

probably just passing comment on the types of folks that have gone for this sort of policy in the past.

china, the Nazis, etc etc

Anvil - from the land of warm beer and mad cattle.

55. Re: X2: The Threat Jan 10, 2004, 11:15 Bronco

Damn, must resist buying more books about honey tea and frowns and positions of shawls when sitting down talking about how sweet the tea is.

If you resist it you are a better person than I am. More mustache knuckling and hands on hips for me!

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

-TPFKAS2S

54. Re: Misc Jan 10, 2004, 11:12 Bronco

Yes. You've missed the No Child Left Behind Act (increased federal education spending by 49 percent)

If you want to get technical about it I think his education bill ended up somewhere in the area of 23 billion. He had initially offered up 19 million. Kennedy got involved and the two of them came up with the 23 billion.

and the expansion of Medicare to include prescription drugs (at least $450 billion over 10 years, more likely five times that as Medicare cost projections have historically proven very, very low).

I guess that is what you get when a compassionate conservative is elected.

-TPFKAS2S

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 11:16.

-TPFKAS2S

53. Re: Misc Jan 10, 2004, 10:24 Fang

Yes. You've missed the No Child Left Behind Act (increased federal education spending by 49 percent) and the expansion of Medicare to include prescription drugs (at least $450 billion over 10 years, more likely five times that as Medicare cost projections have historically proven very, very low).

But those don't count because... I'm sure the money wasn't given right, yeah and uhm, Bush is a meanie, yeah, that's it.

52. Re: Misc Jan 10, 2004, 10:10 Terpfen

Well, we'll never know unless we actually try. I don't recall any recent annoucements about Bush dropping 87 billion at home, nevermind a trillion on more practical domestic issues. Did I miss one?

Yes. You've missed the No Child Left Behind Act (increased federal education spending by 49 percent) and the expansion of Medicare to include prescription drugs (at least $450 billion over 10 years, more likely five times that as Medicare cost projections have historically proven very, very low).

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 10:12.

51. Pop Unders & ad whiners Jan 10, 2004, 09:33 Armengar

To quote a famous quote "fukc em". It takes a few seconds to click an ad then close it. Nothing really. Help a guy out who takes time to compile a site with little thanks or personal gain.

Stop whining, you don't pay for the content. If you don't like it then mind the step on the way out.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

50. Re: X2: The Threat Jan 10, 2004, 09:29 Armengar

X2, I can still remember the awful dialog, the awful animations and the terrible ramming AI. Oh and the quriky oversensitive joystick controls, even with 5% sensitivity.

edit: I hate you bronco. out of curiosity I clicked on your blog link and now ive just seen another RJ book. goddammit I had to force myself to read CoT and now this. Damn, must resist buying more books about honey tea and frowns and positions of shawls when sitting down talking about how sweet the tea is.

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 09:40.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

49. Re: X2: The Threat Jan 10, 2004, 04:27 Soupkin

It made its way into my recycle bin in half a mazura.

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 04:28.

Im Soupkin.
I hope i dont have aids.
http://users.ign.com/collection/Serious_Soup)
Postal 2 sucks.

48. Re: X2: The Threat Jan 10, 2004, 04:24 ExcessDan

it's been out for many mazuras, you should pick it up as soon as you have the mazura

j/k this game is a waste of mazura
------------
Love,
Mayor Dan
This comment was edited on Jan 10, 04:25.

ExcessDan

47. Re: X2: The Threat Jan 10, 2004, 02:02  SamPenguin 

X2 is out... i just saw it at my local EB a few days ago.

46. X2: The Threat Jan 10, 2004, 01:40 wasrad

Did this game ever come out?

Everytime I go to EB or gamestop its not there

wtf?

45. coolness Jan 10, 2004, 01:37 wasrad

DoD is a very fun game on a LAN with 14 people.

The more you know...

44. Re: Comedy Request Jan 10, 2004, 00:21 Fang

Heh, that was pretty funny/weird. As I'm thinking about it some more, I'm feeling more certain that I found it through a Blue's Media of the Day, except that it wasn't the actual media of the day. Instead, I think another short on the same website was highlighted, but I then went to the main website where a bunch of other comedy shorts were listed. That DDR contest movie was the one I ended up seeing.

So that makes it harder to find, especially since doing a Blue's search probably won't help. However, whoever submitted that Media of the Day might be a frequenter of whatever movie site that was. So I'm hoping they can direct me back to it.

43. Re: Comedy Request Jan 9, 2004, 23:40 Enahs

This is the best I could come up with
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=44184
"Dance Like You're Selling Nails"

_____
Enahs
http://www.petitiononline.com/Grammar/

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

42. Comedy Request Jan 9, 2004, 22:57 Fang

Hey, I was wondering if you guys can help me out. I'm trying to find a movie short (comedy) that came out on the internet a few months ago about a guy who's dream is to be a professional DDR dancer. I thought it was hilarious but I can't seem to find it again and I can't remember if it was a Blue's Media of the Day.

I've looked through google but can't find anything. Does anyone have a link to it (if it was here) or does anyone know of websites that post comedy movie shorts? Thanks.

41. Re: Question for Bronco Jan 9, 2004, 22:31 Bronco

I've been thinking of starting a website (basically a blog) so you guys don't have to listen to my crap and I'm wondering how well Blogger works.

It works fine. It is by far the easiest of the many services to set up. It is also the blandest of the services. If you have the time you can use your own custom template. There are some things that the free Blogger doesn't do:

• Archive very well. I'd like to have a better system in place. File my posts by catagory, have a calendar on the front page. Stuff like that.

• Comments. Personally I don't think I would add comments. I've seen far too many blogs with comments available and no one ever comments at all! This looks pretty lame. Even well read blogs have few if any comments. Moderating those comments is not something I want to waste time doing. Still just having the ability to add them is cool. If you do want them there are plenty of 'plug-ins' you can use to get around this.

• XML or RSS feed. I found a free service to do RSS, if you run MT this is pretty easy to implement.

• Images. They just upgraded the free Blogger to allow the uploading of images. I do it myself via ftp so I don't know how well their system works.

• Do you like it? Do you use Blog*Spot or another hosting place?

Blogger went through a rough patch about 3 months ago when Google bought them out. They changed their ftp method from active to passive and a lot of people had to scramble (myself included) to find a compatible ftp server that could handle passive ftp. Since then it has been smooth sailing with several features that used to be pay only being switched to the free service.

I host the blog myself using a $30 web server.

http://www.code-crafters.com/abilityserver/index.html

I would rate my html skills at about a 3 or 4 out of 10. The hardest part was creating a master CSS template and settling on one base page to work off of.

If I had the time, I would love to move my blog to MT.

http://www.movabletype.org

Unfortunately that $30 web server doesn't handle custom cgi scripts so no go right now.

MT is the weblog for the cool kids.

You seem pretty savy tech wise. I'm sure you could set one up. Just be sure to read the requirements prior to signing up for hosting.

I hope that answered your questions. If you need any other info just ask.

-TPFKAS2S

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 22:31.

-TPFKAS2S

40. Jimmy Page turned 60 today!!! Jan 9, 2004, 22:30 Shorty2white

Just want to wanted to mention this this while I still have a chance. My idol, and a hell of a good musician celebrated his 60th birthday today. Happy Birthday Jimmy! Zeppelin rules!

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo