Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It was as enjoyable as I expected getting to put together Devicer's new PC yesterday, and it was nice to get some hands-on experience with some new stuff like a Serial ATA drive as well as a case with enough fans to make your ears pop. I am particularly impressed with the motherboard he picked out, the Abit IC7 Max 3... this definitely looks like the cornerstone for a great gaming system. I think I may have to just devote a certain amount of this space every day to singing the praises of this product until someone at Abit, where I hear they are all terribly handsome people, is inspired to send me one of my own. Boy am I terrible at that... maybe I just need some more practice (did I mention the folks at Abit are all terribly handsome?). Oh well. that's probably not going to work. Maybe I ought to start small and suck up to the folks who made those handy thumb screws...

Play Time: Morphases.
Links of the Day: Free James Traficant. Thanks Bronco.
Idea a Day. Thanks Bronco.
Stories of the Day: Space shuttle Columbia crew memorialized on Mars. Thanks Ant.
Feds thwart extortion plot against Best Buy.
McDonald’s Touts Its Menu as a Good Fit for Many Diets (registration required).
Science!: Mobile Robots Take Baby Steps.
Astronomers find biggest star yet. Oprah?
Star Is a Near Twin of the Sun, Scientists Say (registration required).
Images of the Day: Hi-Rez Mars. Thanks Sunspot.
Computer Purification Ceremony. Thanks Ant.
Follow-up: Winning ticket turned in for $162M jackpot. Thanks gregory.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Geek info Jan 13, 2004, 15:42 SH33P

Whew, thanks

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: He's back! Jan 8, 2004, 10:41  Blue 

The Giants are a huge rebuilding project.

Yup!

Their QB is a streaky liability. Their RB is a fumbling machine. Their wideouts are good.

All true -- I think "liability" is a bit harsh for Kerry, but it's arguable.

They have a couple of players on defense.

But how often in their history has linebacking been the weakness of the Giant D... we've had much better defenses with bad lines and secondaries than we do at the moment.

Their Offensive line is in transition.

That is a really nice way to put it, as they clearly were the downfall of an offence that's obviously well enough stocked at the "skill" positions.

Their star player on offense is a TE that was hurt for a large part of the season.

The best part of Coughlin coming in is that he will will make this twerp shut up and just play the damn game. If it weren't for the fact that the Giant's have been trying to hire him for 10 years now, I'd suspect that Shockey's lack of discipline was the reason they targetted a disciplinarian.

It will be interesting to see if Gibbs can adjust to the new NFL. Vermeil did it so maybe he can as well. He achivied all of his success due to great offensive lines and a potent running attack. I wonder how that will translate into todays game.

I think Gibbs will be fine... I think he created the forumla he did for the 'skins based on his personnel but also as a way of best attacking the defenses of the day, and I anticipate him being just as smart about adapting to the present day.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 10:42.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

44. Re: He's back! Jan 8, 2004, 09:09 Atomic

Re: Falcons
Have they filled the position yet? If not I'd like to see Dennis Green there.

Just heard this morning Dennis Green signed with the Cardinals.

-TimK(drekhead)

Pascal said, “Reason’s last step is the recognition that there are an infinite number of things which are beyond it. It is merely feeble if it does not go as far as to realize that.”
This comment was edited on Jan 8, 09:11.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

43. Re: Idea a Day Jan 8, 2004, 08:44 Anvil

How on earth is center 'simpler' than centre.  
Anvil - from the land of warm beer and mad cattle.

42. Re: He's back! Jan 7, 2004, 21:59 Bronco

I would have been less surprised if he would have considered the Falcons. I think the Falcons, Redskins, and Giants can all be turned around pretty quick by the right coach.

I would have picked the Falcons. They are the only program with a stud QB. Hardest position to fill. One of the reasons they let their coach go with games remaining in the season was the distinct possibility that they would put together a nice little streak and make in next to impossible to fire the guy.

Have they filled the position yet? If not I'd like to see Dennis Green there.

Ramsey might be a player. They need help on defense. Signing Arrington was a big mistake IMO. Trotter doesn't play team ball. They have one really good and one decent CBs. Their lines are nothing to write home about.

The Giants are a huge rebuilding project. Their QB is a streaky liability. Their RB is a fumbling machine. Their wideouts are good. They have a couple of players on defense. Their Offensive line is in transition. Their star player on offense is a TE that was hurt for a large part of the season.

It will be interesting to see if Gibbs can adjust to the new NFL. Vermeil did it so maybe he can as well. He achivied all of his success due to great offensive lines and a potent running attack. I wonder how that will translate into todays game.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

-TPFKAS2S

41. Re: He's back! Jan 7, 2004, 20:23 WarPig

I can't believe that Joe Gibbs is back with the Redskins.

Me neither, that really surprised me. He was always one of the more notorious sleep-in-the-office workaholics so I doubt he thinks he can still do his NASCAR thing.

I would have been less surprised if he would have considered the Falcons. I think the Falcons, Redskins, and Giants can all be turned around pretty quick by the right coach.

-----------------------------------------
And remember, this is only my opinion - anyone who disagrees with it has every right to be wrong.

GO SEAHAWKS!

40. Re: Idea a Day Jan 7, 2004, 20:10 Big_Bear

well where i come from in Scotland wimmen is used for the prual of woman e.g

Those Wimmen over there have nice legs

or in Scots
thise wimmen o'er there heve nice legs

39. Re: Idea a Day Jan 7, 2004, 19:26 John Nelson

Hold on y'all....

>and wimmen for women

I can claim historical precedence for this? But is the singular "wiman"? Hmm, "You damn fool wiman" doesn't have the same ring. Woman and women sounds the same if you're angry enough, so you have to respect the historical prerogative .

What?

38. Re: Idea a Day Jan 7, 2004, 16:58 Ihya

Samuel Johnson wrote the first English dictionary in 1755 apparently, he had to chose one spelling out of several in populer use for some words, but, thinking about it, imagine how many typos there probably were, and are with us today because of some clerk with a hangover!

In other cases, his book was simply quirky as when he defined such defunct words as "clancular," "incompossible," and "jobbernowl," or when he defined "oats" as that grain which in England is fed to horses, but which in Scotland supports the people.

Lol! What a product of his times, not a fan of the Scottish obviously!

On Websters:

The uniqueness of this 70,000 compilation was its abandonment of British spelling for "simpler" American variations, e.g., waggon became wagon, centre-center, musick-music, and honour-honor. It's interesting to note, however, that not all of Webster's reforms took hold. Example of his failure include tung for tongue and wimmen for women.

Maybe it was just a marketing ploy Blue, 'Get yer proper English dictionaries here mate. 20 % of our words are easier to spell than the other editions!'

--------------------

Ihya
This comment was edited on Jan 7, 16:59.

37. Re: She's a REAL winner! Jan 7, 2004, 16:46 Bunko

so please don't vote for Kucinich
*sigh*

Don't you fascists have anything better to do than bash candidates that have absolutely no chance of getting elected?

We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I'm no different.
This comment was edited on Jan 7, 16:46.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

36. Re: Joke Jan 7, 2004, 16:43 Bunko

Saddam Hussein.
Reportedly, when they pulled him out of his spider hole, he said, "It's OK, I had Subway for lunch."
That joke is awesome. I laughed for about a minute straight. Nice one, Enahs.

We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I'm no different.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

35. Re: Hi Red picture of Mars Jan 7, 2004, 16:40 Bronco

Either way, they do look pretty...Think that high res shot may be my new desktop...

I want to see the video! Too bad NASA was swamped and pulled it.

Where's the Torrent when you really need it!

-TPFKAS2S

-TPFKAS2S

34. Re: Hi Red picture of Mars Jan 7, 2004, 16:31 nin

Anyone else think the shots of Mars look suspiciously like the Utah salt flats?

Just sayin'...

Either way, they do look pretty...Think that high res shot may be my new desktop...

http://www.petergabriel.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

33. Re: Hi Red picture of Mars Jan 7, 2004, 16:17 eunichron

Anyone else think the shots of Mars look suspiciously like the Utah salt flats?

Just sayin'...

32. Re: Hi Red picture of Mars Jan 7, 2004, 15:15 Earthworm

There is a much larger version of the Hi-Res Mars located over at APOD.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0401/mars_spiritcolor_PIA04995.jpg

/*New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled, the humiliating question arises, ``Why then are you not taking part in them?'' -H.G. Wells*/

31. Re: She's a REAL winner! Jan 7, 2004, 15:02 PHJF

Hey fun stuff, I live around Cleveland. Sigh, place is a real hole now, so please don't vote for Kucinich. Check out www.kucinich.com while you're at it.

That and two twin girls from my small town here were just on Fear Factor, though they got their asses kicked and one got a concussion... not that that's off topic or anything.

[edit] im dumb [/edit]

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 15:04.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

30. He's back! Jan 7, 2004, 14:44 Bronco

I can't believe that Joe Gibbs is back with the Redskins. All we needed was Jimmy Johnson coaching the Giants and the NFC East would have some legendary coaching in place.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/6986721

I wonder if he can put up with Snyder. I've always felt that Gibbs was/is one of the greatest coaches ever.

-TPFKAS2S

-TPFKAS2S

29. Hi Red picture of Mars Jan 7, 2004, 14:39 John Nelson

They've edited out the bit of the picture with the martian giving the probe the finger.

28. Re: Idea a Day Jan 7, 2004, 14:32 JediLuke

Coincidentally, it is suggested that one of Noah's goals in compiling his dictionary (which was a much more active project than today's attempts to reflect the language rather than mold it), was to differentiate American English from other variants.

Oh yes, the first publishing of Webster's dictionary is often cited by historians as one of the important milestones in the quest to create a distinctly American language and culture. Now please, stop me before I write an essay.

~Steve

27. Joke Jan 7, 2004, 14:18 Enahs

Saddam Hussein.
Reportedly, when they pulled him out of his spider hole, he said, "It's OK, I had Subway for lunch."

_____
Enahs
http://www.petitiononline.com/Grammar/

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo